Debbie Preston would beat Barbara Fiala.

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Why does Debbie Preston refuse to run for County Executive, even though she would have no problem beating Barbara Fiala? This is a conservative community. The true conservative beats the liberal every time.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
Why does Debbie Preston refuse to run for County Executive, even though she would have no problem beating Barbara Fiala? This is a conservative community. The true conservative beats the liberal every time.

that debbie preston, what a good looking woman (certainly said with tongue in cheek). she is taking those poor people in conklin for a $35,000 a year ride, but tells them she is championing their cause. i thought after the flood work was done, she would go abck to selling trucks and her salary would be diminished according. i guess everyone has forgot that. she is crude and rude. gwet rid of her.

Guest Guest

I'm sorry, but $35,000 is most certainly NOT a lot of money. It's a poverty wage, especially since more and more people are earning 6 figure incomes in Broome County.

Guest Guest
Many people around here are earning 6-figure incomes. It's quite common. Those who are not are lazy, stupid, or both.

for your information, $35,000 is not a six figure salary, count the digits, it is only 5. pay attention now...1,2,3,4,5 (35000)

Guest You're Kidding, Right?

Debbie Preston took advantage of the 2006 flood to give herself a full time job courtesy fo the taxpayers. In case no one told her - the flood is OVER. Go back to part time like she promised!

She is a 2-faced liar & a cheat. As well as crude like the previous poster said. I've heard her talk - she'd make a longshoreman blush.

She'd be worse than Fiala and I'd never vote for her! She can't even see when her employees are stealing right under her nose! Doesn't she look at the Court budget??? Didn't it look odd that it didn't balance??

Guest Guest

I think the community is trending liberal. Plus why should she run if she doesn't want to? Maybe she doesn't want the problems and the criticism, which we know anyone who takes the job will get. We don't live in a boom town... we live in a struggling community where many tough decisions have to be made and it will only get worse if the country falls into a deeper recession. Gas will probably always be expensive... deal with it, heating and electricity will probably always take a huge bite out of our incomes... deal with it... maybe you will have to cut back on your eating out and buying new cars and vacations... that is life.

Guest Guest
Many people around here are earning 6-figure incomes. It's quite common. Those who are not are lazy, stupid, or both.

Definitions:

Broome County

Median household income, 2004 $37,089

Per capita money income, 1999 $19,168= $9.21 per hour (40 hrs 52 wks)

Minimum wage(40hrs for 52 weeks)= 14,872

Seems as if very few people are making 6 figures around here.

Guest Guesto

$35,000 a year is NOT a lot of money for what she has to do. Is is soooo easy to site and criticize from our computer chairs isn't it?

Could you do a better job? Everybody thinks they can. Do you go to the town board meetings and voice your opinion?

Debbie Preston could not look at the court records. So before you say something you know nothing about why don't you read this article:

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...38/1001/ARCHIVE

Guest conklin
$35,000 a year is NOT a lot of money for what she has to do. Is is soooo easy to site and criticize from our computer chairs isn't it?

Could you do a better job? Everybody thinks they can. Do you go to the town board meetings and voice your opinion?

Debbie Preston could not look at the court records. So before you say something you know nothing about why don't you read this article:

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...38/1001/ARCHIVE

This is a good example of what goes on behind closed doors in Prestons office. I know for a FACT that she had knowledge of what was going on with this investigation. She as well as the town board were advised of the situation by the appropriate people. This goes to show that she CANNOT be trusted!!! She is lying through her teeth to the public through the press and sun bulletin, and eventually it is going to catch up to her. The court system in the town of conklin has functioned well for the past 28 yrs. with the same ELECTED officials. All of the operations within the court system are basically public knowledge... all people have to do is ask. Isn't it amazing how she finds ways to pray on certain things to make herself look like a hero, and that she has the best interests of the town at heart. And as far as the court budget in concerned... the missing funds and the court budget have nothing to do with each other. The budget is a request done on a yearly basis by department heads for operating expenses for that department soley. And keep in mind, it MUST BE APPROVED by the town board!!! So, I guess maybe before comments are posted, people should have their facts straight. To get a straight answer from Debbie Preston is a joke in itself. This is not the first time a situation has arose with moneys being embezzled, unfortunately... this time it happened in the town of conklin, and we the people should be thankful that are court system officals had enough experiance to take the proper steps to handle the situation in a professional manner. Justice will be served according to law, and the court personell should be applauded for catching the first incident to happen within our town in its history.

Guest You're Kidding Right?

Do you always believe what you read in the paper?? Preston and the Board certainly can look at Court records. In fact many towns in Broome County audit their Courts every year just to make sure nothing is wrong, like embezzlement. Why didn't she?? She seems to know everything & claims to be such a great "leader". Apparently she's not paying quite enough attention to detail. Maybe that's why she's not running for County Exec.

Guest conklin
Do you always believe what you read in the paper?? Preston and the Board certainly can look at Court records. In fact many towns in Broome County audit their Courts every year just to make sure nothing is wrong, like embezzlement. Why didn't she?? She seems to know everything & claims to be such a great "leader". Apparently she's not paying quite enough attention to detail. Maybe that's why she's not running for County Exec.

She ... even as great as she thinks she is would not have been able to tell what was happening!!! It took many months of auditing from alot higher up than her to compile all the information. How about the town clerk who was just arrested for embezzlement in another area.... and i say TOWN CLERK, not court clerk.

Guest You're Kidding Right?

If a department is audited YEARLY, you certainly CAN see if money is misappropriated. That's the point of an audit!

SHE NEVER TOOK THE TIME! She was too busy raking the residents over the coals for her own gain.

This "revelation" was no surprise. The Board knew well in advance of the State audit exactly what was going on and they did NOTHING.

Let her try to sweep this under the rug & pretend she didn't know about it. She is a bold-faced liar.

Guest Trump

A Fiala/Preston race for county executive is likely the only scenario in which I'd vote for Fiala.

Another poster hit it right on -- Preston took advantage of the 2006 flood. A real leader would do the work and not request more money because of an unforeseen event. Times are tough -- a "real conservative" like Preston should realize this and not take the tax payers for a ride!

When Preston took the oath of office, she signed-on to lead Conklin through good times and bad, then a flood hits and all of a sudden she cannot do the job without more money? You've gotta be kidding me! Shame on you, Debbie!

Furthermore, Preston doesn't care about the people of Conklin, she's interested politics and power. That was pretty well illustrated when she back doored Sharon Exley and became Broome County Republican Chairwoman.

If Debbie is so busy re-building Conklin, how does she have extra time to lead the county Republicans?

Guest GUEST

PEOPLE SHOULD GET THERI FACTS STRAIGHT AND ONE OF THOSE FACTS IS IF THE JUDGE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE COURT WHY DID IT TAKE A NEW CLERK TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS GOING ON FOR TWO YEARS. WHY DIDN'T THE JUDGE OR NEW YORK STATE SEE A PROBLEM WITH THE RECORDS BEFORE THAT. NEW YORK STATE LAW SAYS THAT THE ONLY THING A TOWN BOARD CAN DO WITH A COURT IS THEIR BUDGET LINE AND GIVE THEM SO MUCH A YEAR TO SPEND, BUT THE TOWN BOARD DOES NOT GET THEIR BANK STATEMENTS NOR DOES THE BOARD HAVE ANY AUTHORITY TO OVER SEE THE MONEY COMING IN AND GOING OUT. I KNOW FOR AFACT THAT THE JUDEGE WOULD NOT GIVE ANY REPORTS TO THE BOARD UNTIL THE MIDDLE OF LAST YEAR BUT BEFORE THAT NOTHING HE JUST SAID HE DIDN'T HAVE TO. I ALSO KNOW THAT THE PERSON WHO HAS BEEN ARRESTED WAS A NEIGHBOR AND GOOD FRIEND OF THE JUDGE, BUT MOVED JUST BEFORE SHE QUIT HER JOB. IT HAS ALSO KNOWN THAT THE JUDGE WAS TOLD ON VARIOUS OCCASSIONS THAT THIS PERSON SHOULD NOT BE WORKING AT THE TOWN BUT HE SAID SHE WAS THE BEST CLERK HE EVER HAD, SO WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT THE JUDEG. DEBBIE PRESTON AND THE BOARD CANNOT BE BLAMED FOR A NEW YORK STATE LAW AND A BAD JUDGE WHO DIDN'T CHECK ON WHAT HIS CLERK WAS DOING.

Guest GUEST 1

I WORK IN A TOWN COURT AND WHEN THE TOWN AUDITORS COME IN THEY CANNOT DO A DETAILED AUDIT OF THE COURTS BOOKS ONLY IF THEY HAVE THEIR OWN POLICE DEPARTMENT AND THE TICKETS ARE THRU THEIR POLICE DEPARTMENT. ANY TOWN AUDITOR WILL TELL YOU THAT WHAT HAPPENED WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BE FOUND AND THAT SOME THINGS THEY ARE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO LOOK AT. MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD SEE WHAT THE STATE AUDIT HAD TO SAY AND WHAT THE JUDGE DID OR DIDN'T DO. IN THE TOWN COURTS IT IS THE JUDGES RESPONSIBLILTY FOR THE MONEY AND THE BANK RECORDS GO TO THEM NOT THE BOARD OR SUPERVISOR. THE BOARD ONLY HAS AUTHORITY OVER THE COURTS BUDGET EVERTHIGNELSE IS THRU THE JUDEGE AND NEW YORK STATE.

Guest Townie

Well, I also work in a local Town & even though the judges are elected officials, they always run everything past the town board - hires, fires, requests for new equipment, overtime spending, etc. Don't tell me that the Conklin Board didn't know what was going on!

And easy on the caps.

Guest poster
PEOPLE SHOULD GET THERI FACTS STRAIGHT AND ONE OF THOSE FACTS IS IF THE JUDGE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE COURT WHY DID IT TAKE A NEW CLERK TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS GOING ON FOR TWO YEARS. WHY DIDN'T THE JUDGE OR NEW YORK STATE SEE A PROBLEM WITH THE RECORDS BEFORE THAT. NEW YORK STATE LAW SAYS THAT THE ONLY THING A TOWN BOARD CAN DO WITH A COURT IS THEIR BUDGET LINE AND GIVE THEM SO MUCH A YEAR TO SPEND, BUT THE TOWN BOARD DOES NOT GET THEIR BANK STATEMENTS NOR DOES THE BOARD HAVE ANY AUTHORITY TO OVER SEE THE MONEY COMING IN AND GOING OUT. I KNOW FOR AFACT THAT THE JUDEGE WOULD NOT GIVE ANY REPORTS TO THE BOARD UNTIL THE MIDDLE OF LAST YEAR BUT BEFORE THAT NOTHING HE JUST SAID HE DIDN'T HAVE TO. I ALSO KNOW THAT THE PERSON WHO HAS BEEN ARRESTED WAS A NEIGHBOR AND GOOD FRIEND OF THE JUDGE, BUT MOVED JUST BEFORE SHE QUIT HER JOB. IT HAS ALSO KNOWN THAT THE JUDGE WAS TOLD ON VARIOUS OCCASSIONS THAT THIS PERSON SHOULD NOT BE WORKING AT THE TOWN BUT HE SAID SHE WAS THE BEST CLERK HE EVER HAD, SO WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT THE JUDEG. DEBBIE PRESTON AND THE BOARD CANNOT BE BLAMED FOR A NEW YORK STATE LAW AND A BAD JUDGE WHO DIDN'T CHECK ON WHAT HIS CLERK WAS DOING.

Well i am glad to hear that the court clerk is doing her job, and the judge for that matter. Seems all the proper steps have been taken to convict the guilty. The judge has always seemed to do a decent job for the town... i mean 28 consecutive years in office, and no issues or problems till now. Pretty good track record. The rest of this above quote is BS and really has no meaning.

Guest Guest-Dianne Deeter-*

Guest Guest

When will Debbie be announcing that she is running against Fiala? Even though Debbie won't need any money to beat Fiala, because she will be so easy to beat, I would still like to make a donation.

Guest bystander
Debbie Preston has done more for Conklin than anybody else has ever done! She should be paid well for her efforts!

Debbie Preston is not a person that you want running the county. For one thing she only thinks of herself and image. My brother has issues with her because she didn't listen to him and his house filled with sewage and not flood water in the 2006 flood. She helped to strong arm the person she replaced. She is a Tom Libous brown noser and I am a registered Republican. I don't think we need anyone like that in office. At least with Barbara we know her from all the years in office and she is the most down to earth person and has a great family.

Archived