Anyone into fish tanks?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Just wondering if anyone is into fish tanks? I have a 125 gallon saltwater tank. Anyone else have a tank?

we always talk about dogs so I thought this would be a little diffrent! :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with parrot fish and angle fish.

@

cool ! ever thought about saltwater fish? how long have you been in the hobby?

55 gal. saltwater tank, pc compact lights, Fluval canister filter, protein skimmer, uv sterilizer, 2 blue chromis damels, 1 black domino damsel, 1 wrasse, 2 peppermint shrimp, 6 turbo snails, button polyp coral, star polyp coral, & tons of live rock. I don't get into it that much!! :lol: :lol:

Guest Guest
55 gal. saltwater tank, pc compact lights, Fluval canister filter, protein skimmer, uv sterilizer, 2 blue chromis damels, 1 black domino damsel, 1 wrasse, 2 peppermint shrimp, 6 turbo snails, button polyp coral, star polyp coral, & tons of live rock. I don't get into it that much!! :lol: :lol:

Wow thats what im talking about! Thats what I started out with a 55 gallon! now I have a 125 gallon saltwater! oh and a 10 gallon salt we are try to breed clownfish! are those damsels trouble makers?

And a partridge in a pear tree :lol::lol:

And a limo in a pot hole!
Actually I do have a 55 gallon long tank with some silver dollars and a few just regular fish my kid picked out. limo in a pot hole thats pretty funny. But serously theres a few around here you can get even a limo stuck in. :lol:

Guest Guest
Actually I do have a 55 gallon long tank with some silver dollars and a few just regular fish my kid picked out. limo in a pot hole thats pretty funny. But serously theres a few around here you can get even a limo stuck in. :lol:

thats what I meant welcome to pot hole capital of the world! silver dollars are cool! I had a nice sized one years ago!

thats what I meant welcome to pot hole capital of the world! silver dollars are cool! I had a nice sized one years ago!
They are pretty cool. Woke up in the middle of the night the first night we had them, walked past the tank and forgot it was in there glanced at the tank saw this flat fish...scared the crap out of me.

@

Guest Guest
cool ! ever thought about saltwater fish? how long have you been in the hobby?

Iv been in the hobby about 7 years and yes iv thought about getting into saltwater but it all seems complicated.

Guest Guest
Iv been in the hobby about 7 years and yes iv thought about getting into saltwater but it all seems complicated.

actually saltwater is easy the only diffrence is you have to add salt and take things slower!

Wow thats what im talking about! Thats what I started out with a 55 gallon! now I have a 125 gallon saltwater! oh and a 10 gallon salt we are try to breed clownfish! are those damsels trouble makers?

Damsels can be aggressive, but it is the yellow tang that you have to watch out for. He can get really aggressive with any new fish added to the tank. I want to get a hippo tang, but I am afraid the yellow will attack it and kill it.

Guest Guest
Damsels can be aggressive, but it is the yellow tang that you have to watch out for. He can get really aggressive with any new fish added to the tank. I want to get a hippo tang, but I am afraid the yellow will attack it and kill it.

you cant put two tangs together i wanted to but no go i have a salfin tang my self!

you cant put two tangs together i wanted to but no go i have a salfin tang my self!

You can if they are the same size and you introduce them to the tank together. If you already have one, and it is larger than the one you want to put into the tank, the first will be the dominant one and may kill the new one. Tangs will go after any new fish introduced to the tank at first. I had a hell of a time keeping my yellow from killing the six line wrasse when we got it. I do want more tangs though, because they are good algae grazers and I am having a hell of a time keeping the green hair algae down.

Guest Guest

We've been thinking about getting a fish tank. I like salt water fish better but I'm wondering if a saltwater tank is a good way to go for the first attempt or should I cut my teeth on the fresh water?

dsc00095al4.th.jpg

This is what my tank first looked like a year ago when I originally set it up. You can see on the left, the button polyp coral and on the right is the goniporia coral. I just lost that to brown jelly infection a month ago. I'm surprised it even lasted a year.

dsc00027xa2.th.jpg

Here's an upclose pic of the goniporia or flowerpot coral.

@

Guest fishface

Beautiful! I wish I had the patience. I have a big tank but its empty. I would like to start researching saltwater tanks. Isn't it expensive though? How about the maintenace? Just asking, because I am going to start doing some reading on it, but just want to know what I am getting myself into from some real people.

Guest Guest
We've been thinking about getting a fish tank. I like salt water fish better but I'm wondering if a saltwater tank is a good way to go for the first attempt or should I cut my teeth on the fresh water?

Start with freshwater first. It is some work to go to salt water and the fish for salt water are more expensive but very colorful. You can always get rid of the freshwater fish and use the same tank to go to saltwater.

Right now I am trying to raise corys. I can breed them but the fry only last a few days.

@

Beautiful! I wish I had the patience. I have a big tank but its empty. I would like to start researching saltwater tanks. Isn't it expensive though? How about the maintenace? Just asking, because I am going to start doing some reading on it, but just want to know what I am getting myself into from some real people.

The initial start up on a saltwater tank can get quite expensive. You are going to pay a lot for good lights, a good canister filter, a protein skimmer, and the gravel at the very least. If your water has anything in it like chlorine or any sediment I would recommend using bottled water. We go to the Giant and get our water from the Culligan machine because it goes through an osmosis system to remove sediment and other contaminants. The best fish to use for an initial start up are damsels. Get two or three of them depending on tank size. We got three to set up our 55 gallon tank. Leave the tank alone for about six months to get the biological filter set up correctly. Your first impulse will be to overload it with fish, but in the long run, waiting will be more beneficial for your tank. If you are considering live rock or coral, do your research first. Live rock will throw off your biological filter for a while, and not all types of coral are the easiest to deal with. I would recommend button polyps or star polyps for the beginner. And don't forget the snails and shrimp. They are great cleaners.

I had a small tank but one of my cats killed all my fish :(

Not how you would think tho, he liked to sit on the top of the tank and he must have bumped the controller on the heater and turned the heat way down. I didn't notice till the next morning.

I never had the heart to try again and turned the tank into a terrarium.

Guest Guest
I had a small tank but one of my cats killed all my fish :(

Not how you would think tho, he liked to sit on the top of the tank and he must have bumped the controller on the heater and turned the heat way down. I didn't notice till the next morning.

I never had the heart to try again and turned the tank into a terrarium.

I also had a small tank and enjoyed it. I stupidly placed a very heavy square shaped glass candy dish beside the tank and one day I bumped the dish and it bumped the tank and next thing you know I've got my fish in a kool-aid jug running them down the street to my moms. I had a few irridescent (?) sharks. I loved watching them. They lived for about 3 years at moms before dying.

I also had a small tank and enjoyed it. I stupidly placed a very heavy square shaped glass candy dish beside the tank and one day I bumped the dish and it bumped the tank and next thing you know I've got my fish in a kool-aid jug running them down the street to my moms. I had a few irridescent (?) sharks. I loved watching them. They lived for about 3 years at moms before dying.

When I had tropical fish, I had one that actually would jump out of the tank. I can't recall what it was only that it was a carnivore (I had to buy feeder fish for it). One day I came home and it was lying on the counter next to the tank!!! I scooped it up and put it in the water and dragged it back and forth to get the water back in the gills. It survived and from that point on, I put something really heavy on the top of the tank. :lol::lol:

Archived