security cameras in parking lots

buccaqueen

A word of warning to people who do not lock their car doors. I have repeatly asked my husband to lock the car doors when he goes in stores but he is more trusting then I am. He went to the Price Chopper last week and left a bag from Big Lots on front seat along with his cell phone and cigs & lighter and was in store for about five minutes and came back out and the bag and cigs & lighter were gone (but they left his cell phone). I called P.C. and they looked at the tapes from parking lot to see if they could see who it was and I was told sorry but their cameras only cover the handicap slots and front driveway from end to end of store and not into parking lot. I then called Schenectady and asked them to please have someone turn the cameras out towards the whole lot since this area is going down hill fast and some old lady could be mugged and no one would know it. I just wonder in this day and age how many other stores don't cover a wider range with their cameras. I guess I just took it for granted that they covered parking lots. My husband now locks the doors at all times!!!

Walmart doesn't either. Didn't PC just have a mugging in the parking lot in the last year? Anybody remember that?

I agree, as cheap as cameras have gotten, you would think they would all have them. But even the convience stores don't have them on the pumps!

Walmart doesn't either. Didn't PC just have a mugging in the parking lot in the last year? Anybody remember that?

I agree, as cheap as cameras have gotten, you would think they would all have them. But even the convience stores don't have them on the pumps!

Come'on even small businesses like mine both have recorded video surveillance of the whole place.

Come'on even small businesses like mine both have recorded video surveillance of the whole place.

The red apple in Port Crane only has cameras inside. The mobile at 38b have one camera outside, but it are only overlooking the pumps, into the intersection. And those are only two that I can say with 100% because of personal experience.

Walmart told my oldest, when his car was hit in the parking lot a year ago, thier cameras only cover the "general" area of the lot and not the parking spaces themselves.

You would think most business owner, like you, would be smart enough to protect themselves.

Is it a businesses responsibility to provide "parking security”?

No, I don't think so. But with the world we live in where lawsuts are filed at the drop of a hat, one would think businesses would use anything they could to protect their interests.

And with the price of gas, you would think the gas stations would have cameras that could grab plate numbers from cars in case of driveoffs.

Guest Guest
Is it a businesses responsibility to provide "parking security”?

Why would it not be in their interests to try to protect their customers and/or offer more security while on the premises?

If I had to choose where to get gas at night between two adjacent stores, one with cameras and one without, I know where I'd go.

Guest Guest
And with the price of gas, you would think the gas stations would have cameras that could grab plate numbers from cars in case of driveoffs.

The manleys on clinton has a girl at the register w/binoculars who writes the plate # down of each vehicle at the pumps. You'd think they'd not be so cheap and invest in cameras. Especially considering the location.

Guest Moniter
The manleys on clinton has a girl at the register w/binoculars who writes the plate # down of each vehicle at the pumps. You'd think they'd not be so cheap and invest in cameras. Especially considering the location.

The Manleys om Clinton St. does have a camera which continually spans from one pump to another but the cashier must be responsible for getting numbers of people who drive off without paying... When gas goes up high I see other cashiers using the binoculars also.

Guest Guest

Another question, why are the videos so poor? I could see years ago when they used and reused video tape but today you put the image onto a computer hard drive. There is no excuse for poor fuzzy images.

Guest Guest
Another question, why are the videos so poor? I could see years ago when they used and reused video tape but today you put the image onto a computer hard drive. There is no excuse for poor fuzzy images.

I think it has more to do with the resolution of the cameras and not the storage of the images.

Guest Guest

Price Chopper is a hellhole and the lot always has scumbags loitering around at night. Lock your doors, be aware of who is around before you leave your car and carry pepper spray. Some DELETED approached me trying to borrow money and I got out the pepper spray and got him right in the face. That's probably the last time he'll try to panhandle.

Guest Guest
Price Chopper is a hellhole and the lot always has scumbags loitering around at night. Lock your doors, be aware of who is around before you leave your car and carry pepper spray. Some DELETED approached me trying to borrow money and I got out the pepper spray and got him right in the face. That's probably the last time he'll try to panhandle.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure you did.

You assaulted a man for daring to speak to you, huh?

I'll bet you taught him a lesson.

Guest MadHatter

Well, if u were at the walmart in Vestal whoever u talked to lied right to your face. I worked for a store up the parkway a bit a few years ago and did alot of stuff with security. Almost all the stores in that area have cameras that have amazing panning ability. From Kohl's you can get a plate #in front of Walmart and vice versa.

Guest Guest
The red apple in Port Crane only has cameras inside. The mobile at 38b have one camera outside, but it are only overlooking the pumps, into the intersection. And those are only two that I can say with 100% because of personal experience.

Walmart told my oldest, when his car was hit in the parking lot a year ago, thier cameras only cover the "general" area of the lot and not the parking spaces themselves.

You would think most business owner, like you, would be smart enough to protect themselves.

Walmart lied to you. What good would the cameras be if they only cover the "general" area of the lot. Aren't the parking spaces in the "general" area of the lot?

They just did not want to get involved. They sure as heck don't want the word to get out regarding how much crime there is in their parking lot.

Ever notice on a lot of traffic lights there are cameras. Isn't it fun knowing Big Brother is always watching? Wish we could go back to the times when there wasn't all these cameras. I feel like like there isn't any place where a person can go and have privacy and not be watched constantly. Anyone feel this way?

Guest Guest

stores are not responsible for what happens in the parking lot

if you dont know better to lock your doors these days

you are just asking for your stuff to be taken

Guest Guest
Well, if u were at the walmart in Vestal whoever u talked to lied right to your face. I worked for a store up the parkway a bit a few years ago and did alot of stuff with security. Almost all the stores in that area have cameras that have amazing panning ability. From Kohl's you can get a plate #in front of Walmart and vice versa.

?????? Walmart is nowhere near Kohls. No possible way the camera from Kohl's reaches Walmart.

Guest Bobby Baja

the businesses may have cameras but they are not there for your benefit. you would think that being a customer of the establishment would allow you to have access to the information stored on the devise. not true. the equipment used by the business is there for their benefit only. the chances of you obtaining a copy of the recordings, even getting a chance to view the recordings, is slim. they have no legal obligation to provide you with anything they record. just an fyi. ---

A word of warning to people who do not lock their car doors. I have repeatly asked my husband to lock the car doors when he goes in stores but he is more trusting then I am. He went to the Price Chopper last week and left a bag from Big Lots on front seat along with his cell phone and cigs & lighter and was in store for about five minutes and came back out and the bag and cigs & lighter were gone (but they left his cell phone). I called P.C. and they looked at the tapes from parking lot to see if they could see who it was and I was told sorry but their cameras only cover the handicap slots and front driveway from end to end of store and not into parking lot. I then called Schenectady and asked them to please have someone turn the cameras out towards the whole lot since this area is going down hill fast and some old lady could be mugged and no one would know it. I just wonder in this day and age how many other stores don't cover a wider range with their cameras. I guess I just took it for granted that they covered parking lots. My husband now locks the doors at all times!!!

I bet if PC property was stolen from the parking lot they would have video footage of the crime. The management simply does not wish to get involved. Anyone who doen't lock their vehicle doors or to leave anything of value in plain view is a fool.

Guest Guest
Why would it not be in their interests to try to protect their customers and/or offer more security while on the premises?

If I had to choose where to get gas at night between two adjacent stores, one with cameras and one without, I know where I'd go.

Well in most cases they do not own the plaza or building... shouldn't the developer provide parking lot security?

@

the businesses may have cameras but they are not there for your benefit. you would think that being a customer of the establishment would allow you to have access to the information stored on the devise. not true. the equipment used by the business is there for their benefit only. the chances of you obtaining a copy of the recordings, even getting a chance to view the recordings, is slim. they have no legal obligation to provide you with anything they record. just an fyi. ---

Not true, the cameras are there for my security as well as my customer's security. If someone asked to see the records, and had a good reason, I would gladly let them view the files.

@

Archived