Debbie Preston not Happy with BCVoice and Free Speech

Billy the Kid

Here are a couple of emails that I recieved from Ms. Debbie Preston (our Conklin Town Supervisor) where she complains that you guys here on BCV are not playing nice:

posts‏

Sent: Sat 3/22/08 6:17 AM

To: bcvbillythekid:)hotmail.com

I have been informed of posts that when I have looked at them are slanderous and detrimental to say the least. I ask that they be removed as they are not factual and again i say slanderous. i feel that this site is a great way for people to interact and discuss issues that are problematic to our community, but when posts are made that are un true and just made up to keep things going it becomes a detriment. Again I ask that the two threads regarding me being a theif be removed as these are against what your rules state and they are very slanderous and untrue. I realize you are not responsible, but I guess posters do not read your rules before they post or they just don't care who's lives they try to destroy. Keep up the good work on the site as I feel the people need this to vent as long as it is factual and is not used to destroy an individual, with made up slanderous statements. The threads where debbie preston a thief and debbie preston running for county executive, where it turned into slanderous remarks of me being a theif and having affairs. thank you and pleas elet me know if this can be done. Debbie Preston

Subject: Debbie Preston would beat Fiala post

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 07:42:20 -0500

I know I have e-mailed before, but I must do so again as the last 3 pages of this post are slanderous. According to your rules nothing should be posted that is harmful, defamatory or libelous, which most of this thread is and very little to do with the title. Again I have to say that I know this is not your fault but the fault of those who continue to post items that are slanderous and defamatory and proves they do not read your rules. I ask that this post be discontinued due to the slanderous, libel remarks.

I wish there was a way that the people who do these things because they may not like someone could have to answer for the false statements they continue to make. I wish they could use your site for what it has been intended for and as I stated before your site is a great tool for people to vent and discuss issues, but should not be used to try and destroy lives for ones own self. I do not have a problem with those who do not like me but I do have a problem with the slanderous, libel remarks. In the past there have been other post about me that I have never said a word about as that was the peoples right to object to what I may have been doing, but they also were not the slanderous material that is being posted now. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that this thread can be discontinued and all who use your site obey the rules and if not I guess there is no point to having the rules.

Debbie Preston

I did not respond to the first one, but did respond to the second.

My Response:

RE: Debbie Preston would beat Fiala post‏

Sent: Tue 3/25/08 7:36 PM

To: Debbie Preston (Supervisor) (dapreston:)stny.rr.com)

Ms. Preston,

I just spent a good portion of an hour reading and rereading the post that you referenced and I really don't see what you are talking about. Please point out to me the parts of the post that are "harmful, defamatory or libelous". As a public official I would expect that you would be used to such content and have thicker skin when it comes to stuff like this. BCVoice is an Open and Public message board where users can come and express themselves and their opinions without fear of being chastized for it including having their posts removed without cause. If you feel that the content in that post is incorrect, post the truth and sign your name to it otherwise please do not waste your time and mine by sending these emails whining that someone called you names and you want it removed. Please concentrate on issues that we (the taxpayers of Conklin, NY) are paying you to concentrate on and not on local message boards.

Billy the Kid

Site Administrator

Guest Trivia Freak

BTK,You The Man! I have to say with the utmost pride and joy in my heart,that was the greatest rebuke to an elected office holder and to her majesty Queen Debbie. Gotta tell you I had to wait 5 minutes till I stopped laughing to post this reply.Would you be interested in being mayor of Bumington or better yet Gov of N.Y. , We need more voices like yours. Keep up the good work.

BTK,You The Man! I have to say with the utmost pride and joy in my heart,that was the greatest rebuke to an elected office holder and to her majesty Queen Debbie. Gotta tell you I had to wait 5 minutes till I stopped laughing to post this reply.Would you be interested in being mayor of Bumington or better yet Gov of N.Y. , We need more voices like yours. Keep up the good work.

No thanks! But I appreciate the kind comments!

Guest Trump

That's funny.. Debbie made some unkind comments about Sharon Exley when she backdoored her and took control of the Broome County Republican Party...

Guest Guest

Is that an actual copy of her email? Because if it is, that's pretty sad. I understand that not all people punctuate/capitalize properly in email but if I was an elected official writing a "complaint letter" I would certainly make sure that all my i's were dotted and my t's were crossed. She also needs to open a thesaurus - can you say "slanderous" three times fast? ugh..

Is that an actual copy of her email? Because if it is, that's pretty sad. I understand that not all people punctuate/capitalize properly in email but if I was an elected official writing a "complaint letter" I would certainly make sure that all my i's were dotted and my t's were crossed. She also needs to open a thesaurus - can you say "slanderous" three times fast? ugh..

yes actual copy

Guest Guest
Here are a couple of emails that I recieved from Ms. Debbie Preston (our Conklin Town Supervisor) where she complains that you guys here on BCV are not playing nice:

posts‏

Sent: Sat 3/22/08 6:17 AM

I have been informed of posts that when I have looked at them are slanderous and detrimental to say the least. I ask that they be removed as they are not factual and again i say slanderous. i feel that this site is a great way for people to interact and discuss issues that are problematic to our community, but when posts are made that are un true and just made up to keep things going it becomes a detriment. Again I ask that the two threads regarding me being a theif be removed as these are against what your rules state and they are very slanderous and untrue. I realize you are not responsible, but I guess posters do not read your rules before they post or they just don't care who's lives they try to destroy. Keep up the good work on the site as I feel the people need this to vent as long as it is factual and is not used to destroy an individual, with made up slanderous statements. The threads where debbie preston a thief and debbie preston running for county executive, where it turned into slanderous remarks of me being a theif and having affairs. thank you and pleas elet me know if this can be done. Debbie Preston

Subject: Debbie Preston would beat Fiala post

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 07:42:20 -0500

I know I have e-mailed before, but I must do so again as the last 3 pages of this post are slanderous. According to your rules nothing should be posted that is harmful, defamatory or libelous, which most of this thread is and very little to do with the title. Again I have to say that I know this is not your fault but the fault of those who continue to post items that are slanderous and defamatory and proves they do not read your rules. I ask that this post be discontinued due to the slanderous, libel remarks.

I wish there was a way that the people who do these things because they may not like someone could have to answer for the false statements they continue to make. I wish they could use your site for what it has been intended for and as I stated before your site is a great tool for people to vent and discuss issues, but should not be used to try and destroy lives for ones own self. I do not have a problem with those who do not like me but I do have a problem with the slanderous, libel remarks. In the past there have been other post about me that I have never said a word about as that was the peoples right to object to what I may have been doing, but they also were not the slanderous material that is being posted now. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that this thread can be discontinued and all who use your site obey the rules and if not I guess there is no point to having the rules.

Debbie Preston

I did not respond to the first one, but did respond to the second.

My Response:

RE: Debbie Preston would beat Fiala post‏

Sent: Tue 3/25/08 7:36 PM

To: Debbie Preston (Supervisor) (dapreston:)stny.rr.com)

Ms. Preston,

I just spent a good portion of an hour reading and rereading the post that you referenced and I really don't see what you are talking about. Please point out to me the parts of the post that are "harmful, defamatory or libelous". As a public official I would expect that you would be used to such content and have thicker skin when it comes to stuff like this. BCVoice is an Open and Public message board where users can come and express themselves and their opinions without fear of being chastized for it including having their posts removed without cause. If you feel that the content in that post is incorrect, post the truth and sign your name to it otherwise please do not waste your time and mine by sending these emails whining that someone called you names and you want it removed. Please concentrate on issues that we (the taxpayers of Conklin, NY) are paying you to concentrate on and not on local message boards.

Billy the Kid

Site Administrator

ya know, i don't agree too often with much you say or do and i have had my share of bans, but you really do rock on this one. i could not have said it bettrer myself. i know that that does not matter much to you coming from me, but it hit the nail right on the head. if she is a thief, let her own up to it. if not, let her refute it it. otherwise, why doesn't she just resign like SPITZER, whom she called for his resignation as soon as it hit the airwaves. her words were something to the effect that elected officials are held to a higher standard. that standard for her would probably be the gutter.

Unfortunately for Mrs. Preston, she doesn't have a leg to stand on because she's a public official. She will need to grow a thicker skin.

By the way, she should at least realize that if she's going to allege damages, at least allege those damages through libel, and not slander. Libel comes through the written word, while slander is the spoken word. If this were a radio show, she could say slander.

And I agree that Mrs. Preston needs to take a basic writing or, at least, spelling class. Holy awful!

@

Guest Guest
I gotta say I really enjoyed that response to a politician. More of them need to be told how it is.

why doesn't she jsut get on here and refute all of the allegations? she could furnish names at wagner's for us to call to verify her story. that is if she can refute the allegations. i think she should just resign and liboous should admit that he made an error in judgement by appointing her chairperson of the party. afterall, other politicos are admitting errors, just ask HILLARY (bosnia)

Guest Trump

Preston is walking a fine line..

Pretty much all current Republican elected officials (except Libous...) love BCVoice, because in many ways it does their dirty work for them. When Bucci and Kraham were in office it was the other way around. The opposition party seems to be the majority on BCVoice; that's just human nature.

With Preston openly criticizing BCVoice she's opening a large can of Broome County's finest (and most p*ssed off) worms...

With virtually every office in the county being contested this fall, it's a dumb, dumb move for Preston to try and call BTK out.

Because you choose to remain anonymous? Frankly, I don't blame her.

Now, if you were posting your name and a contact number, then I could see you getting indignant about her non-response.

But this way? She has no reason to respond.

@

Guest Guest
Because you choose to remain anonymous? Frankly, I don't blame her.

Now, if you were posting your name and a contact number, then I could see you getting indignant about her non-response.

But this way? She has no reason to respond.

@

WHATS YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS AND CONTACT INFO. DELETED!

Guest guestgrammar

Yikes! Ms. Preston is a very poor writer - that's not libel or slander, but the truth.

And to the previous poster who said that she writes like a fifth grader - you actually insult most fifth graders who could dance (write) circles around her!!!

@

No thanks! But I appreciate the kind comments!

BTK you are the man. Where do we get the nominating petitions? You answered perfctly, & bottom line is that if any poltician can't stand the heat, then they should stay the hell out of the kitchen.

@

Guest Guest
BTK you are the man. Where do we get the nominating petitions? You answered perfctly, & bottom line is that if any poltician can't stand the heat, then they should stay the hell out of the kitchen.

@

Guest Guest
She writes/spells at about a 5th grade level.

I was just about to point that out, thank you. As I was reading, the only thing I could think of was...her grammar is horrible, if she is not able to use proper grammar how does she do her job as a public official?

Archived