Parents What would you do if

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

When my stepson started college 3 years ago my husband got him a cell phone for his birthday and added him to HIS 2 year contract. (Nextel/Sprint) Because the contract ended and his son was still in school they continued to use the phones and just pay for what they were using. The son graduated in May of 2007.

In Sept 2007 I added my husband to my plan (Verizon ) and changed the agreement to a family share plan. Although my husband isnt using Sprint any longer his son is. He is still paying for his sons cell phone bill. It has been 10 months since he graduated. Since he isnt working he cant get credit and put the phone or bill in his own name. My husband told me he was NOT going to renew the contract but talked about the possibility of co-signing for the credit so his son so he could get a new phone and a new 2 year agreement in his own name.

His son wanted a new phone and was told that to keep the number and service he would have to renew the contract for 2 more years. So he did. His father claims he didn't know about this until he got a statement in the mail and a bill thanking him for his contract renewal.

Any time I have ever had a conversation with Sprint they have asked to speak to my husband. How in the hell can someone go into a store purchase equipment and sign a contract in someone else's name? I am sure there are legal ramifications to this on both Sprint and his sons part, but that is pretty drastic. I am wondering how any other parent would react to their child (who does not live with you) if they did this to you? Besides a real azz chewing, I would pay the 175 to cancel the phone My husband said that would end up costing him more money to do. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it would be cheaper to pay the 175 a cancellation instaed of the 65 plus taxes a month for the next 2 years. It also doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out what really is going on here. He says I am an idiot,iggnorant and immature to make a big deal of this What he did was against the law. He did it without permission I think it takes a lot of nerve and cannot imagine anyone thinking they have the right to do this. My husband gives me anything I ask for. I have even charged things to his credit card but asked first and payed the bill. I am married to the man we have been together for 20 years and I wouldnt dream of doing this Are all kids balls this brassy?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so it is apparent that as a "stepmom" you have not quite grasped the whole unconditional love thing yet. A Father is doing something for his son. Be happy! The Father obviously want's to do this or would have put a stop to it. So it seems that the son went and upped the deal. For all you know, the son and father may have agreed to this and just don't want to listen to you wine about it. Things could be alot worse off. The son could be stealing money from you to support some sort of habit. He could be abusive and beating you and your husband. If this is keeping yo awake at night, think of how furtunate you are to be a family! Best of luck. Dam, they need to cancell DR. Phil!!!

OP,

You don't have to sign for a new contract. When Sprint/Nextel call the phone, they ask are you considering to renew your contract with us. All you have to do is say ya/yes/probably and they renew the contract. My husband and I have had Nextel and Sprint both. Both times the contract was in my name. His phone was listed on the contract so they called him. As soon as he said yes, they renewed. They never once asked to talk to me. In order for my husband to be able to call and discuss our bill, I had to call and give permission.

Hope this helps.

Guest Guest
When my stepson started college 3 years ago my husband got him a cell phone for his birthday and added him to HIS 2 year contract. (Nextel/Sprint) Because the contract ended and his son was still in school they continued to use the phones and just pay for what they were using. The son graduated in May of 2007.

In Sept 2007 I added my husband to my plan (Verizon ) and changed the agreement to a family share plan. Although my husband isnt using Sprint any longer his son is. He is still paying for his sons cell phone bill. It has been 10 months since he graduated. Since he isnt working he cant get credit and put the phone or bill in his own name. My husband told me he was NOT going to renew the contract but talked about the possibility of co-signing for the credit so his son so he could get a new phone and a new 2 year agreement in his own name.

His son wanted a new phone and was told that to keep the number and service he would have to renew the contract for 2 more years. So he did. His father claims he didn't know about this until he got a statement in the mail and a bill thanking him for his contract renewal.

Any time I have ever had a conversation with Sprint they have asked to speak to my husband. How in the hell can someone go into a store purchase equipment and sign a contract in someone else's name? I am sure there are legal ramifications to this on both Sprint and his sons part, but that is pretty drastic. I am wondering how any other parent would react to their child (who does not live with you) if they did this to you? Besides a real azz chewing, I would pay the 175 to cancel the phone My husband said that would end up costing him more money to do. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it would be cheaper to pay the 175 a cancellation instaed of the 65 plus taxes a month for the next 2 years. It also doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out what really is going on here. He says I am an idiot,iggnorant and immature to make a big deal of this What he did was against the law. He did it without permission I think it takes a lot of nerve and cannot imagine anyone thinking they have the right to do this. My husband gives me anything I ask for. I have even charged things to his credit card but asked first and payed the bill. I am married to the man we have been together for 20 years and I wouldnt dream of doing this Are all kids balls this brassy?

IF THIS WERE YOUR SON AND YOUR HUSBAND'S STEP SON, WOULD YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT IT AS MUCH? I HAVE A FEELING THAT YOU ARE MAKING A BIG STINK ABOUT IT BECAUSE HE IS NOT YOUR SON AND IT PISSES YOU OFF THAT YOUR HUSBAND ALLOWED HIM TO GET AWAY WITH IT. LET'S SUE HIM AND HAVE HIM ARRESTED FOR FORGERY!!!

I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOUR HUSBAND, YOU ARE BEING AN IDIOT, IGNORANT AND IMMATURE! IT'S HIS KID FOR CHRIST'S SAKE! LEAVE IT ALONE BEFORE HE TOSSES YOU OUT INSTEAD OF TAKING ACTION AGAINST HIS FLESH AND BLOOD! <_<

Guest Guest
so it is apparent that as a "stepmom" you have not quite grasped the whole unconditional love thing yet. A Father is doing something for his son. Be happy! The Father obviously want's to do this or would have put a stop to it. So it seems that the son went and upped the deal. For all you know, the son and father may have agreed to this and just don't want to listen to you wine about it. Things could be alot worse off. The son could be stealing money from you to support some sort of habit. He could be abusive and beating you and your husband. If this is keeping yo awake at night, think of how furtunate you are to be a family! Best of luck. Dam, they need to cancell DR. Phil!!!

So youre saying it is OK to make a contract and make someone else responsible for the bill without their permission? And if we were married you wouldnt have a problem if I were to go out and drew up a contract that makes you financially responsible for my spending? I'd like a mercedes would it be ok with you if I went and singed an agreement using your name and credit to get it?

I asked for mature responses. I cant imagine any responsible person acting this way and thinking it is unacceptable. How do you teach your children right from wrong? These types of kids are usually the one who do end up robbing and stealing from their parents It starts because their parents are afraid to say no and the kid is used to getting what he wants when he wants. They usually start pushing them around when they cant have what they want This is typical of childen these days They think we owe them, that they can have, and take, what they want, when they want ,and that it is OK

I do not consider this kid a stepchild. Stepchildren should be treated as your own I have children of my own and they were not raised this way I will not accept responsibility for his inconsiderate rude,selfish, behavior. He is not a little kid he is supposidly a young adult. Helping out is one thing - but if he is not working than does he really need a cell phone?The least he could have done is changed the billing address to his address and paid for the bill himself.

Guest Guest

i would really love to be married to you. you are a fool. what business is it of your if your husband provides a phone for HIS son? believe me, your husband knew him long before you. why don't you just mind your own business and be thankful that "your husband gives you anything you want". except the alienation of HIS son.

Guest Guest
i would really love to be married to you. you are a fool. what business is it of your if your husband provides a phone for HIS son? believe me, your husband knew him long before you. why don't you just mind your own business and be thankful that "your husband gives you anything you want". except the alienation of HIS son.

I guess I was too liberal when I spoke. He does not give me anything I want. I have used his credit cards WITH PERMISSION but I pay for what ever the charges are. He takes care of the house and I take care of all of my own bills I make my car payments,pay for repairs,pay my own medical bills and credit card bills,groceries and household furnishings.. Did you miss the part where I said WE (him & I ) are on a family share plan that I pay for.

Guest Guest

I couldn't disagree with you more. These are the kind of kids that turn into the kids that push and shove their parents around. They are so used to doing what they want, when they want, and not having boundaries. They wouldnt have a problem abusing their parents. They will never respect you unless they are taught respect To bad they dont teach that in college. Wait until you say no the first time then see what happens

Guest Guest
I couldn't disagree with you more. These are the kind of kids that turn into the kids that push and shove their parents around. They are so used to doing what they want, when they want, and not having boundaries. They wouldnt have a problem abusing their parents. They will never respect you unless they are taught respect To bad they dont teach that in college. Wait until you say no the first time then see what happens

Im guessing thats why he doesnt say no to him. Sad when you have to buy your kids love

Guest Guest

Companies will do anything to sell a product legally or illegally. Kids are definitely getting much bolder (not all).

Guest Guest

Suppose this woman never mentioned that she was a step mom or that it was her husbands son. You are real blame her for being upset that her stepson did it and that her husband allowed it What if she said her son did it and was asking if there are other parents out there who thought this was alright? Do you think you might have answered the question differently? Arent we missing the point? Does it matter who did it? Isnt it the principal she is talking about?

Im guessing thats why he doesnt say no to him. Sad when you have to buy your kids love

Even worse is when the kids know the parents are doing it and use that to take advantage.

OP~ I agree kids need boundries. But in all honesty, if this is the worst thing you have to deal with, consider yourself very lucky. Walk away from it and remind yourself it isn't your problem. Your husband will be taking care of this child when the child is 50, unless he wakes up before then. Good luck.

Guest Guest
Suppose this woman never mentioned that she was a step mom or that it was her husbands son. You are real blame her for being upset that her stepson did it and that her husband allowed it What if she said her son did it and was asking if there are other parents out there who thought this was alright? Do you think you might have answered the question differently? Arent we missing the point? Does it matter who did it? Isnt it the principal she is talking about?

but she did. no, a REAL mother would not have taken as much time or even any time to inform the public of what her husband does for HIS son. i pay two of my kids phone bills each and every month. we are on a family share plan, so what does it cost me, $20.00 per month? it would cost them over $50.00 per month each. this witch does not want her husband to have a relationship with a child from a previous marriage.l cut and dry, pure and simple. there is no way she can refute this fact. suck it up lady, you are only going to drive a wedge between you and your husband. believe me, he will pick his child long before you (i hope)

Guest Guest
I guess I was too liberal when I spoke. He does not give me anything I want. I have used his credit cards WITH PERMISSION but I pay for what ever the charges are. He takes care of the house and I take care of all of my own bills I make my car payments,pay for repairs,pay my own medical bills and credit card bills,groceries and household furnishings.. Did you miss the part where I said WE (him & I ) are on a family share plan that I pay for.

sounds like a great "MARRIAGE" to me. i have been married for thirty three years and i can honestly say that neither myself nor my wife has ever "asked for permission" to buy anything. we don't have my money, her money and our money. marriage is a partnership. why do you people keep evertything separate? was this a marriage for financial reasons or do you really love eachother? it sure doesn't sound like it. but keep it up, sure sounds like it is working for you, doesn't it?

Guest Guest
sounds like a great "MARRIAGE" to me. i have been married for thirty three years and i can honestly say that neither myself nor my wife has ever "asked for permission" to buy anything. we don't have my money, her money and our money. marriage is a partnership. why do you people keep evertything separate? was this a marriage for financial reasons or do you really love eachother? it sure doesn't sound like it. but keep it up, sure sounds like it is working for you, doesn't it?

Sorry, but if you've been married for 33 years, you are too old to have an opinion worth considering.

Guest Guest
but she did. no, a REAL mother would not have taken as much time or even any time to inform the public of what her husband does for HIS son. i pay two of my kids phone bills each and every month. we are on a family share plan, so what does it cost me, $20.00 per month? it would cost them over $50.00 per month each. this witch does not want her husband to have a relationship with a child from a previous marriage.l cut and dry, pure and simple. there is no way she can refute this fact. suck it up lady, you are only going to drive a wedge between you and your husband. believe me, he will pick his child long before you (i hope)

I am the OP and I am agreeing with SOME of what you say. There is nothing wrong with helping your kids.I too have kids and have just added them to my family share plan. They asked, we discussed it,and they agreed and are paying their share of the bill. Is it too much to ask that a 21 year old college graduate pay at least his share of the bill? Our kids are the same age so dont even go there making excuses about wanting to help out his kid. Mine both work, and pay their own bills. They arent sleeping on their mommys couch they have their own place. The money isn't the issue because his father although not wealthy can afford 65 a month. I have an issue with it because he didnt ask, he just did it.

By your response you sound a little bitter about second wives and step moms. Been screwed over yourself?

How can you make the statement that no real mother mother would take the time to inform the public when you yourself are doing the same? Are you a REAL mother? So much for mature responses.

Guest Guest
I am the OP and I am agreeing with SOME of what you say. There is nothing wrong with helping your kids.I too have kids and have just added them to my family share plan. They asked, we discussed it,and they agreed and are paying their share of the bill. Is it too much to ask that a 21 year old college graduate pay at least his share of the bill? Our kids are the same age so dont even go there making excuses about wanting to help out his kid. Mine both work, and pay their own bills. They arent sleeping on their mommys couch they have their own place. The money isn't the issue because his father although not wealthy can afford 65 a month. I have an issue with it because he didnt ask, he just did it.

By your response you sound a little bitter about second wives and step moms. Been screwed over yourself?

How can you make the statement that no real mother mother would take the time to inform the public when you yourself are doing the same? Are you a REAL mother? So much for mature responses.

to answer your question, no, i am a real father. if your kids are working, fine. they should pay their own bill. you have stated that the kid is NOT woirking, so you help him. it is just that simple. up until this year, i was paying my oldest girl's car insurance. why? because she needed the help- and my middle girl did not. i compensated her in other ways. you help them as long as you can with whatever you can. tha is called being a parent. it comes with the territory. and this permission stuff that you seem to be so hung up on. do you really think that your husand and his son did not speak about this first? if so, you are a fool. your husband is takling the easy way out rather than to come clean. and after listening to you, i can see why. why not try to make friends with his son. in your husband's eyes you would be so much a better person for it. and no, i have never been divorsed. same woman for 33 years and still in love. and love my kids, too. lady, it's only money. get over it already.

Guest Guest

let me guess.your husband makes more than you and you want control.

Your stepson is impedeing on your plans to spend the money on yourself.

I wonder if this is my stepmom,you sound like her

Guest Guest

I believe this is between your husband and HIS son....it is really no business of yours. If your husband does not mind then why do you? I would have to agree with your husband on this one you are being an idiot, iggnorant and immature about it...even more immature by posting it on here.

Guest Guest

To say your kid can't get credit is crazy. They practically throw credit cards at you in college. College students are prime targets for credit companies. I know they set a table up in the lounge of our campus one year and by the end of the week everyone I knew had a shiny new discover card.

If he's older than 20, I say cancel the service and make him find his own way. He's only going to turn out like your typical entitled lazy Broome County male if you enable him any further.

Tell him if he wants to keep the phone it's his responsibility and that you heard McDonalds is hiring.

Guest Guest
To say your kid can't get credit is crazy. They practically throw credit cards at you in college. College students are prime targets for credit companies. I know they set a table up in the lounge of our campus one year and by the end of the week everyone I knew had a shiny new discover card.

If he's older than 20, I say cancel the service and make him find his own way. He's only going to turn out like your typical entitled lazy Broome County male if you enable him any further.

Tell him if he wants to keep the phone it's his responsibility and that you heard McDonalds is hiring.

maybe she could get a job there and quit gold digging of the father and his son.

Guest Guest
Sorry, but if you've been married for 33 years, you are too old to have an opinion worth considering.

I disagree and he has valid points. This isn't a way for married people to live. I do it so I have some control over how the money I earn is spent. Especially in light of the fact that I disagree with the way he "gives" his kids what they want. He is not willing to discuss with me what he spends and how he spends it. He claims he earns it and can spend it any way he wants. Since he is very responsible and has always paid his bills on time I cant argue with that but that doesn't mean I have to contribute to expenses that I disagree with. I dont do it for my kids why should I for his? The cell phone is the least of the problem Try cars, credit cards...

Say what you want its about control and the willingness to have discussions on how the money is spent.

Guest Guest
maybe she could get a job there and quit gold digging of the father and his son.

Read more post less moron. I have worked for the State for the last 10 years. I make good money and in case you missed it pay my own bills

Archived