VATICAN: Pro-Abortion Politicians 'Must' be Denied Communion

A Faithful Catholic

For Rome it is Very Clear - Pro-Abortion Politicians 'Must' be Denied Communion

By John-Henry Westen and Hilary White

ROME, March 5, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Some Catholic Bishops in North America seem to be on a different page from the Vatican when it comes to reception of Communion for Catholic politicians who support abortion. Since the controversy came to a head in the 2004 US federal election, most Catholic bishops in the US have either remained silent on the issue, or have made softer statements than the authoritative word from Rome: a word that has been re-affirmed many times and continues to be reasserted regularly.

Most recently, Francis Cardinal Arinze, speaking at a Catholic family conference in Ohio last November, referred to a letter on the subject sent by then-Cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, who said that such politicians "must" be "refused" Communion.

Video footage, posted recently by the conference organizers and made available on YouTube, shows Cardinal Arinze, the head of Vatican office of Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, replying to the question of pro-abortion politicians and the inaction of their bishops. He said "You may have heard about the letter which the present Holy Father, as prefect of the congregation for the doctrine of the faith, sent to American bishops on that issue, so the matter is very clear."

He told those in attendance that the question is not one of Church teaching, but of the immutable divine law of God. "It isn't just that they [the politicians in question] have gone against church teaching, but they have gone against divine law; thou shalt not kill."

But since the insistence of Rome has failed to induce positive action from most bishops in the North American hierarchy and abroad, reporters continue to ask the same questions.

Romans in the know, however, repeat that the Pope's letter on the matter has solved the issue. LifeSiteNews.com spoke last month about the issue with Msgr. Andrew R. Baker a professor at the Pontifical University of Saint Thomas Aquinas (the Angelicum) in Rome, one of Rome's major historic institutions.

Professor Baker told LifeSiteNews.com, "Certainly you'd have to apply that famous canon of 915 that says one who persists in manifest grave sin should not be admitted to Holy Communion."

"And I think the possibility of looking at the moral principles outlined in the letter attributed to Cardinal Ratzinger that came a number of years ago - those are good moral principles to apply that canon 915."

Professor Baker's opinion is a repetition of that given in Ohio by Cardinal Arinze, who told conferees that he agrees action ought to be taken against bishops who refuse to enforce Canon 915.

Arinze elicited much laughter and applause when he made the analogy, "To the person who says, 'Personally I'm against abortion, but if people what to do it, I'll leave them free', you could say, 'You are a member of the senate or the congress, personally I'm not in favour of shooting the whole lot of you, but if somebody else wants to shoot all of you in the Senate, or all of you in Congress, it's just pro-choice for that person, but personally, I'm not in favour.'

"That is what he is saying. He's saying he's personally not in favour of killing these millions of children in the womb, but if others want to do it, that's pro-choice. That's what he is saying.

"And then you ask, what does the Holy See do? Why doesn't the Pope send 12 Swiss Guards to arrest them all?"

Arinze said that he is regularly asked if a person who votes for abortion can receive Holy Communion. He replies, "Do you really need a cardinal from the Vatican to answer that?

"Get the children for first Communion and say to them, 'Somebody votes for the killing of unborn babies, and says, I voted for that, I will vote for that every time.' And these babies are killed not one or two, but in millions, and that person says, 'I'm a practicing Catholic', should that person receive Communion next Sunday? The children will answer that at the drop of a hat. You don't need a cardinal to answer that."

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/apr/08040408.html

Guest Guest

Pro-Abortion Politicians should be burned at the stake, drawn an quartered or shot on sight. Same with priests who abuse children.

@

... the authoritative word from Rome:

The solution is bleedin' obvious! Preclude Catholics from running for office!

Otherwise no American can be sure whether their elected representative will be most loyal to his constituents ... or to Rome.

For Rome to appoint itself the supreme arbiter of any part of American Politics is to put it politely ... presumptuous.

Considering that the proportion of Catholics in America is about 30% http://tinyurl.com/4uqzf3 how dare any alien overseas entity seek to override American sovereignty to dictate the rules by which Americans live? They expect to live by the rule of Law, whereas Rome is demanding the right to interfere in the formulation of those Laws ... not only for Catholics, but for all the other 70% of non-Catholic faiths as well!!

Rome's audacity is breathtaking!!

So Rome wants to shape the Laws Of The Land for everyone? Now we can understand understand how Queen Isobella of Spain got her "State Government" to persecute non-Catholics! Others since have sought to disguise that Inquisition as motivated purely by 'Law Of The Land'.

For centuries the Catholic Church has been leading 'Government' Law-makers around by a ring in their nose. Pope Benedict XVI is still carrying on that dubious tradition.

"A Man cannot serve two masters".

Catholics who aspire to office must decide.

@

The solution is bleedin' obvious! Preclude Catholics from running for office!

Otherwise no American can be sure whether their elected representative will be most loyal to his constituents ... or to Rome.

For Rome to appoint itself the supreme arbiter of any part of American Politics is to put it politely ... presumptuous.

Nope. It is holding CATHOLICS accountable for their actions.

Considering that the proportion of Catholics in America is about 30% http://tinyurl.com/4uqzf3 how dare any alien overseas entity seek to override American sovereignty to dictate the rules by which Americans live? They expect to live by the rule of Law, whereas Rome is demanding the right to interfere in the formulation of those Laws ... not only for Catholics, but for all the other 70% of non-Catholic faiths as well!!

Rome's audacity is breathtaking!!

That is not what Rome is saying. It is saying those politicians must be denied the Most Holy Eucharist because those politicians are in a state of mortal sin for promoting abortion. They are unworthy to receive the Most Precious Body and Blood of our Lord while in a state of mortal sin.

So Rome wants to shape the Laws Of The Land for everyone? Now we can understand understand how Queen Isobella of Spain got her "State Government" to persecute non-Catholics! Others since have sought to disguise that Inquisition as motivated purely by 'Law Of The Land'.

Jon, you happen to forget WHY the Spanish Inquisition started in the first place: The Jews and Muslims INFILTRATED the Catholic Hierarchy from FALSE CONVERSIONS for the sole sake of bringing down the Church. Queen Isabella was a staunch Catholic and when she caught wind of the conspiracy she was BEYOND infuriated.

"Whether Torquemada's ways of ferreting out and punishing heretics were justifiable is a matter that has to be decided not only by comparison with the penal standard of the fifteenth century, but also, and chiefly, by an inquiry into their necessity for the preservation of Christian Spain. The contemporary Spanish chronicler, Sebastian de Olmedo (Chronicon magistrorum generalium Ordinis Prædicatorum, fol. 80-81) calls Torquemada "the hammer of heretics, the light of Spain, the saviour of his country, the honour of his order".

The Jews and Muslims should have left the CC alone. They brought everything upon themselves.

For centuries the Catholic Church has been leading 'Government' Law-makers around by a ring in their nose. Pope Benedict XVI is still carrying on that dubious tradition.

The pope is just holding Catholics to their Faith. If those politicians want to go against their Faith they should be denied the sacraments of salvation:

St. Paul is pretty clear on this:

1 Corinthians 11:27-29

27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?searc...amp;version=31;

"A Man cannot serve two masters".

Catholics who aspire to office must decide.

Any true Catholic would realize their is only ONE Master and He sits at the right hand of the Father. ;)

Guest Guest

Really it's the womens choice if she has a abortion. maybe she can't raise the kid so why have it and make many lives shitty. and there is enough kids looking for homes so don't say adoption. There's too many people on earth as it is why add more? Land of the free=free choice=choice of abortion

Guest Guest

Big deal -- a politician doesn't get to swig the wine or bite into the holy cracker.

I don't think that is a big price to pay for using the brain and intelligence that God gave him/her and to not blindly follow other men's interpretations of God's word.

Guest Guest

By John-Henry Westen and Hilary White

ROME, March 5, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Some Catholic Bishops in North America seem to be on a different page from the Vatican when it comes to reception of Communion for Catholic politicians who support abortion. Since the controversy came to a head in the 2004 US federal election, most Catholic bishops in the US have either remained silent on the issue, or have made softer statements than the authoritative word from Rome: a word that has been re-affirmed many times and continues to be reasserted regularly.

Most recently, Francis Cardinal Arinze, speaking at a Catholic family conference in Ohio last November, referred to a letter on the subject sent by then-Cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, who said that such politicians "must" be "refused" Communion.

Video footage, posted recently by the conference organizers and made available on YouTube, shows Cardinal Arinze, the head of Vatican office of Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, replying to the question of pro-abortion politicians and the inaction of their bishops. He said "You may have heard about the letter which the present Holy Father, as prefect of the congregation for the doctrine of the faith, sent to American bishops on that issue, so the matter is very clear."

He told those in attendance that the question is not one of Church teaching, but of the immutable divine law of God. "It isn't just that they [the politicians in question] have gone against church teaching, but they have gone against divine law; thou shalt not kill."

But since the insistence of Rome has failed to induce positive action from most bishops in the North American hierarchy and abroad, reporters continue to ask the same questions.

Romans in the know, however, repeat that the Pope's letter on the matter has solved the issue. LifeSiteNews.com spoke last month about the issue with Msgr. Andrew R. Baker a professor at the Pontifical University of Saint Thomas Aquinas (the Angelicum) in Rome, one of Rome's major historic institutions.

Professor Baker told LifeSiteNews.com, "Certainly you'd have to apply that famous canon of 915 that says one who persists in manifest grave sin should not be admitted to Holy Communion."

"And I think the possibility of looking at the moral principles outlined in the letter attributed to Cardinal Ratzinger that came a number of years ago - those are good moral principles to apply that canon 915."

Professor Baker's opinion is a repetition of that given in Ohio by Cardinal Arinze, who told conferees that he agrees action ought to be taken against bishops who refuse to enforce Canon 915.

Arinze elicited much laughter and applause when he made the analogy, "To the person who says, 'Personally I'm against abortion, but if people what to do it, I'll leave them free', you could say, 'You are a member of the senate or the congress, personally I'm not in favour of shooting the whole lot of you, but if somebody else wants to shoot all of you in the Senate, or all of you in Congress, it's just pro-choice for that person, but personally, I'm not in favour.'

"That is what he is saying. He's saying he's personally not in favour of killing these millions of children in the womb, but if others want to do it, that's pro-choice. That's what he is saying.

"And then you ask, what does the Holy See do? Why doesn't the Pope send 12 Swiss Guards to arrest them all?"

Arinze said that he is regularly asked if a person who votes for abortion can receive Holy Communion. He replies, "Do you really need a cardinal from the Vatican to answer that?

"Get the children for first Communion and say to them, 'Somebody votes for the killing of unborn babies, and says, I voted for that, I will vote for that every time.' And these babies are killed not one or two, but in millions, and that person says, 'I'm a practicing Catholic', should that person receive Communion next Sunday? The children will answer that at the drop of a hat. You don't need a cardinal to answer that."

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/apr/08040408.html

The Catholic Church has every right to do that, but...

...if the Catholic Church seeks to exert itself politically, the Federal government should tax the Catholic Church as a for-profit organization.

The Catholic Church has every right to do that, but...

...if the Catholic Church seeks to exert itself politically, the Federal government should tax the Catholic Church as a for-profit organization.

The Catholic Church is DENYING those Catholic politicians from receiving the Sacraments of Salvation. The Church is just affirming the fact that you cannot receive the Most Precious Body and Blood of the Lord while in a state of mortal sin. This is nothing new. Promoting abortion is a mortal sin. The Church is still a non profit organization and should not be taxed.

Big deal -- a politician doesn't get to swig the wine or bite into the holy cracker.

The Faith of the Apostles tells us that it most certainly is the Body and Blood of our Lord, regardless of what our human senses tell us. The Lord affirms the miracle of the Altar through Eucharistic Miracles, which cannot be explained by science.

John 6:53-58

53Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. 57Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever."

I don't think that is a big price to pay for using the brain and intelligence that God gave him/her and to not blindly follow other men's interpretations of God's word.

There is nothing about interpretation here. It is simply the Faith handed down by the Apostles. Christianity came from Christ, Who taught the Apostles and formed His Church on Peter, and they spread the Word by their actions and words. Christianity did not come from the bible.

The Faith of the Apostles tells us that it most certainly is the Body and Blood of our Lord, regardless of what our human senses tell us. The Lord affirms the miracle of the Altar through Eucharistic Miracles, which cannot be explained by science.

John 6:53-58

53Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. 57Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever."

There is nothing about interpretation here. It is simply the Faith handed down by the Apostles. Christianity came from Christ, Who taught the Apostles and formed His Church on Peter, and they spread the Word by their actions and words. Christianity did not come from the bible.

Three words some this up: BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

TWS

@

Guest Guest
Three words some this up: BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

TWS

@

Too funny -- I was saying those exact words as I was scrolling past AFC's usual diarrhea of the mouth!!

@

Guest repent
I think they are on the right track here for once! I think they need to expand it to not allowing wife beaters, adulterists, and child molestors communion as well! That way everyone will know what scum they are :)

I think they should line up in the back of the Church - then walk up front one at a time to get their communion - People in the congregation then could stand and state an objection... like "He is an Adulter, he sould be denied communion" or "He is Gay and should be denied". However the accused may say that they went to confession and confessed their sins.

Guest Guest
The Catholic Church is DENYING those Catholic politicians from receiving the Sacraments of Salvation. The Church is just affirming the fact that you cannot receive the Most Precious Body and Blood of the Lord while in a state of mortal sin. This is nothing new. Promoting abortion is a mortal sin. The Church is still a non profit organization and should not be taxed.

That has nothing to do with the rules of the IRS.

Since CC is singling making it a point to do this to especially politicians, it is obviously trying to influence the legislative process. Non-profits are banned from taking part in legislative activities. The CC should lose it's tax-exempt status.

That has nothing to do with the rules of the IRS.

Since CC is singling making it a point to do this to especially politicians, it is obviously trying to influence the legislative process. Non-profits are banned from taking part in legislative activities. The CC should lose it's tax-exempt status.

The CC forbids ANY CATHOLIC who supports ABORTION from receiving the sacraments of Salvation. Supporting abortion is a mortal sin.

ANYBODY who is in a state of mortal sin is FORBIDDEN to receive the sacraments, except confession of course.

I think they should line up in the back of the Church - then walk up front one at a time to get their communion - People in the congregation then could stand and state an objection... like "He is an Adulter, he sould be denied communion" or "He is Gay and should be denied". However the accused may say that they went to confession and confessed their sins.

Back in the FIRST CENTURY, Christians used to CONFESS their sins to the WHOLE congregation. The Church, using it's "binding and loosing" power, given to it by Christ, restricted it to just the priests. People whine about confession now, but it is easy compared to back then! :o

I think they are on the right track here for once! I think they need to expand it to not allowing wife beaters, adulterists, and child molestors communion as well! That way everyone will know what scum they are :)

Nobody in a state of mortal sin can receive the sacraments, except for confession. The CC is just reaffirming it's rules.

Guest Guest
The CC forbids ANY CATHOLIC who supports ABORTION from receiving the sacraments of Salvation. Supporting abortion is a mortal sin.

ANYBODY who is in a state of mortal sin is FORBIDDEN to receive the sacraments, except confession of course.

While that may be the case, the CC is certainly singling out politicians more than the average church goer. Go read the article you just posted. Does it say politicians or anybody? You can't have it both ways.

The CC is obviously trying to influence legislation and needs to lose its tax-exempt status.

Guest Guest

I will gladly donate a box of saltines and a jug of AFC's favorite wine (Carlo Rossi) to any politician who refutes the dictates of the poop! :lol:

@

I am AFC and most of you are Heretics!!

AFC1.jpg

Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Jonah 1:17

Guest PopeOnaRope
While that may be the case, the CC is certainly singling out politicians more than the average church goer. Go read the article you just posted. Does it say politicians or anybody? You can't have it both ways.

The CC is obviously trying to influence legislation and needs to lose its tax-exempt status.

Is the pope a non-prophet?

Guest Guest
That is not what Rome is saying. It is saying those politicians must be denied the Most Holy Eucharist because those politicians are in a state of mortal sin for promoting abortion. They are unworthy to receive the Most Precious Body and Blood of our Lord while in a state of mortal sin.

If politicians who support abortion must be denied the Eucharist, then all politicians must be denied it. There are those that support abortion openly and the rest have never attempted to overturn roe v wade, the biggest aid to abortion in this country.

Guest Guest
If politicians who support abortion must be denied the Eucharist, then all politicians must be denied it. There are those that support abortion openly and the rest have never attempted to overturn roe v wade, the biggest aid to abortion in this country.

Wrong. People like YOU are the biggest aid to promoting abortions! :lol:

Archived