Susquehanna valley sports

Guest Guest

"Every game, Wags would come back, and tell us what their coaches said. Not a single time was it ever negative. Wags called it changing the talk. It starts within the football program. The players know it. The coaches know it. Other coaches know it. You all will come to realize".

I'm sorry to tell you this James, but you are one gullible boy! Don't you realize Wagstaff makes that stuff up?? Seriously, he talks out his butt. He tells you what you want to hear. He LIES, yes I said it, he LIES! Opposing coaches aren't saying that stuff, he's just telling you they are to excite and fire you up. I know you won't believe me now, but someday when your older and wiser you will see through his shroud of crap.

Please stop trying to relive a glorious year; move on with your life. I was good, you won a bunch of games against some pretty bad teams, but you should still feel a great sense of accomplishment; you deserve that. But please don't make it out to be more than it was, and please don't turn Wagstaff into something he isn't, a great man and a great coach. It will only lead to future disappointment!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Every game, Wags would come back, and tell us what their coaches said. Not a single time was it ever negative. Wags called it changing the talk. It starts within the football program. The players know it. The coaches know it. Other coaches know it. You all will come to realize".

I'm sorry to tell you this James, but you are one gullible boy! Don't you realize Wagstaff makes that stuff up?? Seriously, he talks out his butt. He tells you what you want to hear. He LIES, yes I said it, he LIES! Opposing coaches aren't saying that stuff, he's just telling you they are to excite and fire you up. I know you won't believe me now, but someday when your older and wiser you will see through his shroud of crap.

Please stop trying to relive a glorious year; move on with your life. I was good, you won a bunch of games against some pretty bad teams, but you should still feel a great sense of accomplishment; you deserve that. But please don't make it out to be more than it was, and please don't turn Wagstaff into something he isn't, a great man and a great coach. It will only lead to future disappointment!

Okay, we'll see what happens to this program.

Oh yeah Wagstaff is one of the worse coaches and the language he uses....come on! If SV knew what was best he would get Wagstaff out of there now! I go to the football games and i have no kids on the team and to me he is a disgrace to SV! One of the best football coaches at SV was Blanchard....he came in to a non winning football team and you know what he turned it around but not only him but he had a tremonous coaching assistants and those boys had heart in football.....they respected their Coach.....and not only did the players the parents did too! time for someone else to be the HEAD coach!!!

Yeah, but 3 separate coaches in 6 years and no Sectional Championship since the one that they had the "Very Next Year" after he left (most of the kids on that team were developed and coached by Coach Cook, so a idiot could have coached that team and had a winner). That is NOT any way to build a program. Wonder why these coaches leave and don't stay to truly develop the program? hmmmmmmmm

I believe they won a state championship the year after Cook left and have had winning seasons each year since.

Look it up ...

Guest parent of SV kids

I suppose there is always a reason to find fault. Is the AD out there teaching the kids the technical needs of the sports that they play? Is he the one who manages the teams as they are in the final minutes of a competition with the result in doubt? Is he the man buying all the xboxes that the kids would rather play than run and work on what is important? Is he the one who decides who is to coach (I think that is determined by the administrators and the board.. and to a certain extent the community)? He is simply a manager for all the sports; a caretaker for the money that he can purloin from the board; a cheerleader at the games; and finally an overseer for the image of the program.

Stem? The root for failure is the simple lack of demand parents make of their kids. "I want my kids to play." It does not matter if he/she does not have the skills or the athletic ability, or the desire to sacrifice to be the kid who deserves to play. Parents who cheer when their kids do it incorrectly teach their kids that right is not important as long as parents like it. Parents who yell at officials are telling their kids that their effort is not what cost them the game, but an outside agent cost them the game. Parents who do not say to their kids: "You want to play? Earn it!" We do have great individuals at SV because their are parents who step up and say "Damn the system; I will work with my kid. I will make my kid work. I will demand that he or she earns the right to say "I am the best" Parents who say, " My kid is human, and my kid is not perfect, but my kid will do what is asked, when it is asked, every time it is asked, and will do it to the best of their ability. " These kids are the winners, and their parents are the winners, and there are too few of them out there.

There have been coaches who demand that players give way to the needs of the team. But they upset those parents who feel that their kids are not given a fair shake. The kid does not work at the game he/she wants to play, but it does not matter. The team does not matter. All that matters is that the kid plays. The same is true in the classroom. My kid can go do Cornell, but if they only do well enough to get into Broome, that is ok cause then the parent can say "My kid is in college". Demands on the field, in the classroom, and in the overall behaviors of an SV student should be the same. They should demand excellence and commitment to themselves, to the kids on their team, to their school, and to their community. Unfortunately, the only commitment they have is to their xbox, their weekend parties, and to whatever it is they feel like doing whenever they feel like doing it.

Parents, Community Members, Alumni all ask why SV does not do as well as they could or should. It is because you the parent do not demand responsible behaviors from your children. It is because you the Community Member do not require the district to set standards that are fair and reachable, and yet at the upper limit of what each kid can do. It is you the Alumni, who wish to find fault in areas where fault is not present and which only goes to perpetuating the already negative cycle that exists here.

It is time to stop looking for fault in others, and reflect and look inside yourself. It is the football coach, or soccer coach, or basketball coach who is failing? Or is it the commitment of the families to a concept of excellence that has failed. To paraphrase a relatively important man of the past " He who is without fault should cast the first stone." Perhaps we should look at what those who are coaching our children are doing for us, and the time they are giving to them, and the energy and care they they provide and say "thank you". Those who are doing it now should be thanked every day you see them. Those who did it in the past need our respect and it is fair to remember that they too sacrificed for our kids. If we do this, we may find that the coaches of the future will step up and do a great job because they will know that the community will stand behind them; support them; and enhance their jobs by creating that environment which will indeed make this a better and more successful community.

Think about it>

Thought about it. Not a bad take on the scenario at any school - not unique to SV. You must remember though - the coaches are paid for their efforts (as suspect as those efforts are in many cases). Also - to transfer blame back onto the parents is a very convenient way to deflect blame away from poor coaching. Not saying that it doesn't start in the home, most everything does. BUT ... Good coaches and good programs will motivate and inspire kids to work harder and make better decisions - both on the field and off the field and in the classroom. Too often many of these coaches appear to be "mailing it in" - IMO. That or they just aren't that good in terms of their knowledge of the sport and how to best utilize the talent they have. I won't name names - watch the games - it's obvious and it's everywhere.

Guest parent of sv kids

Your concerns are fair and worthy of consideration. But think about this for one moment. Why are bad coaches supported while the good ones that have failed to make the grade, gone? Why have the winning coaches been pushed out, while the coaches who hope that on one given year they will just happen to have more talent that anyone else, still there? To win, you have to be willing to play the kids who have sacrificed for the program they participate in. Not the kids who show up and say, "I want to play". The coaches who at the varsity level have stayed and do not get questioned are the coaches who keep the weaker kids playing and their parents happy. Identify the coaches who have been successful, and accept that they were the coaches who were also the most hated in the district.

The message that is sent is this; if you want to survive at SV as a coach, lose but make it appear that you are not the fault, but the talent is the fault, or the referees are the fault, or the AD is the fault. Kids walk away thinking that they lost because they were mere casualties of fate, and not casualties of their own inability to create goals and work to achieve those goals. Unfortunately, that is a parent problem for the parents are the ones who reenforce the concept that their kids are not the reason for losing. Unfortunately it is a community problem for the community members are the ones who allow people to bad mouth winners because their kids were losers and they are not shut up by the people who's kids do care. It is the districts fault, because they would rather have a happy munch of losers than winners that have high levels of happiness and also high levels or parent unhappiness. It is the alumni's fault because they look back on their own inability to be successful and instead of admitting that they did not put out the way they should have, want others to think they are the ones who could have done the job with the right leadership. The right leadership means that some people will be unhappy and unhappy means vocal, and the board and the administration fear the people who are vocal and tell the world of their unhappiness.

Yes you are right, it is the truth about any school. But some have overcome it and become winners, and others have not. Think about it again and ask this question:

Why were the coaches, who were fired fired, when they were winners and they did show that they could produce winners, and why are some coaches who (as you say do not put in the effort) kept on? Perhaps in the end, winning breeds hatred of those who are not winners. Losing breeds a sense of happiness in a community for they can then contemplate the reasons for the loses, for the reasons never rest in themselves.

You sound like you have an Axe to grind for the "successful coaches" that have been "let go". First of all - let's list the "successful" coaches that have been let go.

Gee - That is a short list (The Soccer Coach). Remember - the Softball coach left on his own.

I agree that a culture has evolved at SV whereby coaches feel they need to play everyone to keep their jobs - but that can be changed. I will go back to what I said earlier - it's all about the program. If you build a solid program from the ground up, the culture will change because a good program will enlist, engage, build the support, and utilize the input of those same Parents that you think are at the heart of the problem. As long as those "terrible" tax-paying parents are not part of the solution, they will remain part of the problem. Winning is the measuring stick for the success of the program. Once a winning culture is developed - things will snowball.

You - sir or madam - appear to be hell bent on placing blame anywhere and everywhere.

Think about it ... or as a wise man once said - "Don't give me problems, give me solutions".

You sound like you have an Axe to grind for the "successful coaches" that have been "let go". First of all - let's list the "successful" coaches that have been let go.

Gee - That is a short list (The Soccer Coach). Remember - the Softball coach left on his own.

Sorry there is a lot more to it than that. The programs first swim coach was cut after he had led the SV/CV team to success and had started to push the kids to achieve things. He took a first time program to a division title in less than 3 years and was let go after parents whined he pushed too hard. Cook walked when the AD wasn't going to support him as well, he had success in softball and the basketball program was his downfall because the kids wouldn't buy into hard work for success. The girls soccer coach that had turned the program around was let go to bring in a joke coach who had the most talent the program ever produced this year. She was 5-8-2 with a team that lost one game at mod in 2 years, won a division title at JV with the kids as freshman and she couldn't even get a .500 record with them? The guys soccer coach was forced out and the team was told he wanted to retire but he's still working there two years later. There has been a lot more than 1 guy let go you just need to actually know the school

Wow - where do I start ? You are a fountain of misinformation lady ...

Girls Soccer : Not saying the coaching isn't lousy, but you are way over-rating the talent there.

Basketball : "Hard work" had nothing to do with that situation. Losing the hoops job is what precipitated his leaving the Softball post (again - on his own - no one asked him to leave). Outstanding record and a great technical coach - he had the support of many in the Softball world, but not so much in the Boys hoops arena.

Swimming : Forgot about him. Not sure why he was forced out. He was very good and certainly qualified. Not privy to the details there.

Boys Soccer : There is way more to that story as well. Good coach - great record ... 30 year tenure.

Just saying

Fountain of misinformation? you said one person I showed you two others that were forced out. Your personal opinion on the talent level of the girls soccer team doesn't matter, we lost a good coach to put in a crap coach who doesn't want to win or produce talent. All she cares about is having fun and she openly says it. The removed a coach who turned the program around and refused to appoint the right coach -Desimone when he also applied to put in the current joke.

Cook had won a division title in basketball and when he called out a prima donna player the kid threatened him. The fact the AD supported he player and not a coach who had proven success for a decade-even if it was another sport- says all I need to know. The fact he chose to walk away doesn't mean he wasn't forced out. Three hours worth of supporters talk in the district board room should have said enough about if he was quality.

Yeah there may be more to the boys soccer story but the fact is he was forced out, something that in the current ADs 7 years there has happened too much already.

SV is not different than many other schools, Some good coaches and some maybe not. Wilson is not the problem, most coaches bring it upon themself. Cook won a few championships, but he did not develop the talent, most of his championships outside of the time with his daughter which he deserves all the credit, he had talent that was playing for him as 7th and 8th grader on the varsity and contributed for many years. A varsity basketball team that had a lot of talent which he coach from a young age up and did well with, but his handling of kids got him in trouble , It was his way or the highway and that is not high school, hs is a time for teaching, coaching and being an counselor, not sending kids to the street, that need the structure. Wilson saw what was really going on and addressed it.

And for Wilson congratulation on taking a chance with a young coach that had turned around a girls basketball program. He has worked hard with the girls and the success paid off with a good start to the 2011 -2012 season and a nice victory against SEton tonight, the first in many years. A boys team that is doing well and a football program that started to show some life, and finally a softball program that is back on the right track, all because of coaches hired by the AD.

Archived