Susquehanna valley sports

Guest Guest

No wonder SV has such trouble keeping coaches and so little success on the fields/courts. The parents there are idiots who are tearing down good coaches left and right with no logical reasoning. You had a good soccer coach, guy built the program from nothing but he's getting bashed for not being great enough. To add on top he's replaced by another good coach, but he's getting bashed already by idiots who obviously don't know him or what his soccer background is. Sorry for kids who have parents that don't realize its time to step back cut the cord and let the coaches do the job. I thought they just had issues with Cook and softball/basketball but as I read this thread its obvious they just like to bitch and moan about anything.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a knock on the current coach - merely stating that he has a long way to go to match what Al was able to accomplish . Post was meant to defend an ex-SV coach that was being ripped on this forum. The Cook fiasco has been a lightning rod for years. The guy's teams have won consistently - I thought everyone loved a winner ?

I remember when the community had parades in town when our Softball Team would come back with a State Softball Championship. Back then, Coach Cook, in the eyes of a very large percentage of people who lived in our town, could do no wrong. Now he is long gone and our Softball Program has gone down in comparison to the level it was when Coach Cook was coaching and now, I read the other day, the most prestigous softball event in the state, that Coach Cook helped bring to the STAC area, is no longer being played in our area. Where have the good times gone here in Conklin, New York?

I remember when the community had parades in town when our Softball Team would come back with a State Softball Championship. Back then, Coach Cook, in the eyes of a very large percentage of people who lived in our town, could do no wrong. Now he is long gone and our Softball Program has gone down in comparison to the level it was when Coach Cook was coaching and now, I read the other day, the most prestigous softball event in the state, that Coach Cook helped bring to the STAC area, is no longer being played in our area. Where have the good times gone here in Conklin, New York?

The Morabito tournament is no longer in our area BECAUSE of your revered Coach Cook and his enourmous ego. He is the reason it is moving from the beautiful complex at BAGSAI to the appropraitely named MUDVILLE.

Cook hasn't been at SV since 2006 and he has now been relieved of his coaching duties (resign first or get fired) at BHS. Yes, he knows softball but lets be real, he has brought as much negativity to the sport as positives.

Wrong. I heard that the tournament moved because no other school, who uses BAGSAI as their home field (Binghamton, Seton Catholic, etc) would agree to step up and either remain as or agree to host the tournament. I heard that Sus Valley also declined to be host to the tournament, thus leaving Schnurbusch Park out of the mix. There are no other facilities in our STAC area that could hold this event, thus I believe the reason why it moved away from our area.

PS - Don't be too hasty to comment on the Mudville location. You trying putting your hard earned money and create 5 softball diamonds on your own property. I don't seeing many people doing that.

The Morabito tournament is no longer in our area BECAUSE of your revered Coach Cook and his enourmous ego. He is the reason it is moving from the beautiful complex at BAGSAI to the appropraitely named MUDVILLE.

Cook hasn't been at SV since 2006 and he has now been relieved of his coaching duties (resign first or get fired) at BHS. Yes, he knows softball but lets be real, he has brought as much negativity to the sport as positives.

Wrong. I heard that the tournament moved because no other school, who uses BAGSAI as their home field (Binghamton, Seton Catholic, etc) would agree to step up and either remain as or agree to host the tournament. I heard that Sus Valley also declined to be host to the tournament, thus leaving Schnurbusch Park out of the mix. There are no other facilities in our STAC area that could hold this event, thus I believe the reason why it moved away from our area.

PS - Don't be too hasty to comment on the Mudville location. You trying putting your hard earned money and create 5 softball diamonds on your own property. I don't seeing many people doing that.

Wrong. You need to get more information, the WHOLE story (obviously your source didn't provide it all).

P.S. Nothing against Mudville, the guy who runs it does a great job; it's just not the right location for a premiere tournament.

I would say that at least the guy who runs Mudville "stepped up to the plate" an offered his facility to host the tournament. As being up here in the Buffalo Area, I heard that no other venue (with at least a Quad) within the state, would even go to the Tournament Organizers and offer to have the tournament held at their facility, in order to keep this 31 year old event from dying a quick death, which would have been real sad.

Sadly, I feel that, in this day and age, many within the state only care about their little "Piece of the Pie" and don't really care about the betterment of High School Softball thoughout the State of New York.

Wrong. You need to get more information, the WHOLE story (obviously your source didn't provide it all).

P.S. Nothing against Mudville, the guy who runs it does a great job; it's just not the right location for a premiere tournament.

I have a feeling SV boys' basketball (varsity) will be pretty competitive this season. They should be among the bigger teams in STAC, with solid size inside, and enough quickness to win some games. Not sure how they stack up against everyone else, but there is potential there this season to be decent. Unfortunately, I believe one of their "bigs" hurt his foot playing soccer (?) and will miss the basketball season. Not sure of the boy's name, but I believe he's 6-3 or 6-4 and was a pretty solid player. Tough loss, if true.
try 6'8 and he's almost back

SV Softball is just a shell of what it used to be. No STAC Championships. No Section 4 Championships and No State Championships. SV hasn't played in the Morabito Tournament in years. Maybe someday people will look back to all of those Championship Titles/Banners and Tournament Championship Trophies and say "gee those were the good old days"

u all should be very pleased u have kevin wagstaff in ur sports program 2 of my boys played 4 him and were very impressed he has gfreat repour with the boys and is a honest and caring man who earns the boys respect, not like our current arrogant coach who lackss formmer and current players and there families have no respect 4 him regardlwess oof the record coach crooks has stepped in to call plays when gallager becomes confused.. Wags will build a winning program very soon, give him a little space and it will happen

Guest Guest75

Clearly you must be a Wagstaff family member or close friend, because nobody at M-E who had him would say that he was an honest man, nor anyone I'm sure over at Sus Valley.... he has ridden on coat tails for years. I doubt he is doing much to turn the tide at SV or wherever else he may roam in the future. Don't cut down M-E this year, they're having a great year, and you may want to spell check or take some English classes before posting on a public forum. More likely you are a Wagstaff follower trying to throw off the scent and are jealous for M-E's success.

u all should be very pleased u have kevin wagstaff in ur sports program 2 of my boys played 4 him and were very impressed he has gfreat repour with the boys and is a honest and caring man who earns the boys respect, not like our current arrogant coach who lackss formmer and current players and there families have no respect 4 him regardlwess oof the record coach crooks has stepped in to call plays when gallager becomes confused.. Wags will build a winning program very soon, give him a little space and it will happen

Are you nuts? Wagstaff is a god awful coach (unless you are one of his chosen favorites you'd realize it). He's all about trying to look good, but not put the time in. Where was he for the Varsity sports banquet? We all know the answer and it wasn't something that shows how much he cares about the kids

• 4 weeks later...

Are you nuts? Wagstaff is a god awful coach (unless you are one of his chosen favorites you'd realize it). He's all about trying to look good, but not put the time in. Where was he for the Varsity sports banquet? We all know the answer and it wasn't something that shows how much he cares about the kids

Wagstaff is the best thing that could possibly happen to this program at this point. I'll be the first to admit it, I was one of his chosen favorites, I still may be even though I'm not a player anymore. But you obviously haven't been around the weight room starting in January since he's been at sv. Wags is there, and so are the other coaches. And MAYBE 5 varsity player. Thats the problem with SV sports. You know what most players does in the off season? Smoke weed, drink beer, and sit on their a$$ dreaming about smoking weed and drinking beer. Other programs in other schools get in the weight room and work their a$$e$ off for what they get. I was on the 6-2 team. We would've loved to play Vestal, M-E, Binghamton, U-E, JC, and CV (again). We would've loved the opportunity to TRY to shut you people up. I'm not saying we would've done it, but that team would've tried. Not under Haskell, but under Wags. Because from the start, Wags told us that we were expected to win. Walking around school listening to the talk of the students about how terrible SV football always is sucked. But when we showed up to practice, Wagstaff made it VERY clear that that would be changing. He expected us to win games no matter who we played. We may have gotten games against class D schools but were you at Moravia when we showed up and their sideline had twice as many guys and twice the size of all of us? I doubt it. There were days when we couldn't hold practice because we didn't have enough guys. We started the season with 22 people. Thats enough to run a normal intersquad scrimmage. Add injuries and sicknesses to that and we had days when we had 15 guys there. Old SV teams would have gotten off the bus and $hit their pants, and so would've the coaches. When we stepped off the bus, we just smiled and we were ready to go because we loved playing football at that point. It wasn't about trying our best anymore like the past years, it wasn't about just getting through practice and embarassing ourselves the least we could the following Saturday. It became about going out on the field, smacking someone in the face, and walking away with more points than the other guys. I want to hear a coach from another football team talk. Every game, Wags would come back, and tell us what their coaches said. Not a single time was it ever negative. Wags called it changing the talk. It starts within the football program. The players know it. The coaches know it. Other coaches know it. You all will come to realize. Laurent was certainly the best runner that SV had. But have you ever seen him try to run through a hole when there isn't one? It doesn't work. It's not just about getting your best player the ball. It's about getting someone to create a hole for him to run through. If the field was 100 yards wide then yeah you could just hand him the ball and have him run around everyone to the outside. But it doesn't work like that. You have to run plays that adapt to how the other team is playing. Giving Laurent the ball every play isn't hard to catch onto. Wags runs an offense that works in steps. He runs plays to trap the defense into getting into the position we want them to be in for a big play. By week 4 we were state ranked for a reason. And it wasn't just Laurent. This program would still be winning one or two games a season without him. This program is on the uprise whether you want to admit it or not. When I get out of college I'll be back. I'll be back to coach. Wagstaff is the reason I want to coach. And guess what offense we'll be running? The one Wagstaff is because he's not going anywhere, and neither are his ideas and theories. If you were at practices, and on the sidelines during games, you would be proposing the same argument I am. It is impossible to walk into a program and immediately change for the better. We're teenagers, we're stubborn as $hit.

Wagstaff is the best thing that could possibly happen to this program at this point. I'll be the first to admit it, I was one of his chosen favorites, I still may be even though I'm not a player anymore. But you obviously haven't been around the weight room starting in January since he's been at sv. Wags is there, and so are the other coaches. And MAYBE 5 varsity player. Thats the problem with SV sports. You know what most players does in the off season? Smoke weed, drink beer, and sit on their a$$ dreaming about smoking weed and drinking beer. Other programs in other schools get in the weight room and work their a$$e$ off for what they get. I was on the 6-2 team. We would've loved to play Vestal, M-E, Binghamton, U-E, JC, and CV (again). We would've loved the opportunity to TRY to shut you people up. I'm not saying we would've done it, but that team would've tried. Not under Haskell, but under Wags. Because from the start, Wags told us that we were expected to win. Walking around school listening to the talk of the students about how terrible SV football always is sucked. But when we showed up to practice, Wagstaff made it VERY clear that that would be changing. He expected us to win games no matter who we played. We may have gotten games against class D schools but were you at Moravia when we showed up and their sideline had twice as many guys and twice the size of all of us? I doubt it. There were days when we couldn't hold practice because we didn't have enough guys. We started the season with 22 people. Thats enough to run a normal intersquad scrimmage. Add injuries and sicknesses to that and we had days when we had 15 guys there. Old SV teams would have gotten off the bus and $hit their pants, and so would've the coaches. When we stepped off the bus, we just smiled and we were ready to go because we loved playing football at that point. It wasn't about trying our best anymore like the past years, it wasn't about just getting through practice and embarassing ourselves the least we could the following Saturday. It became about going out on the field, smacking someone in the face, and walking away with more points than the other guys. I want to hear a coach from another football team talk. Every game, Wags would come back, and tell us what their coaches said. Not a single time was it ever negative. Wags called it changing the talk. It starts within the football program. The players know it. The coaches know it. Other coaches know it. You all will come to realize. Laurent was certainly the best runner that SV had. But have you ever seen him try to run through a hole when there isn't one? It doesn't work. It's not just about getting your best player the ball. It's about getting someone to create a hole for him to run through. If the field was 100 yards wide then yeah you could just hand him the ball and have him run around everyone to the outside. But it doesn't work like that. You have to run plays that adapt to how the other team is playing. Giving Laurent the ball every play isn't hard to catch onto. Wags runs an offense that works in steps. He runs plays to trap the defense into getting into the position we want them to be in for a big play. By week 4 we were state ranked for a reason. And it wasn't just Laurent. This program would still be winning one or two games a season without him. This program is on the uprise whether you want to admit it or not. When I get out of college I'll be back. I'll be back to coach. Wagstaff is the reason I want to coach. And guess what offense we'll be running? The one Wagstaff is because he's not going anywhere, and neither are his ideas and theories. If you were at practices, and on the sidelines during games, you would be proposing the same argument I am. It is impossible to walk into a program and immediately change for the better. We're teenagers, we're stubborn as $hit.

Yes Chantry you were his favorite.

No you shouldn't be hanging on the sidelines at HS football games after quitting your college team because that coach would take you on as a favorite. Maybe if you had showed the work ethic you called the SV team out for you would have stuck it out and tried to keep playing. Then you might have actually learned more of the game, instead of thinking your HS coach is the pinnacle of football knowledge.

No SV is not on an upswing with Wagstaff.

No he won't be there a long time he is facing issues this year after his repeated poor handling situations dealing with players conduct.

No SV did not deserve a state ranking when the beat a Class D two Class C and one B team, the AD (who sets Section 4 schedules) gave his new coach a gift to "build confidence".

Yes Chantry you were his favorite.

No you shouldn't be hanging on the sidelines at HS football games after quitting your college team because that coach would take you on as a favorite. Maybe if you had showed the work ethic you called the SV team out for you would have stuck it out and tried to keep playing. Then you might have actually learned more of the game, instead of thinking your HS coach is the pinnacle of football knowledge.

No SV is not on an upswing with Wagstaff.

No he won't be there a long time he is facing issues this year after his repeated poor handling situations dealing with players conduct.

No SV did not deserve a state ranking when the beat a Class D two Class C and one B team, the AD (who sets Section 4 schedules) gave his new coach a gift to "build confidence".

We may have beaten schools that were officially in lower classes but like I said, there were days when we have 15 guys at practice.

And you really do have a lot of balls to call me out on the college thing. I didn't stay at Hartwick because every player there that wasn't a freshman coming in, was doing cocaine and steroids. You think I went up there expecting to be coach's favorite? Thats a joke. I only got there because of Wags. He was the first person to tell me I could play college ball.

If you wanted to grant me the 45,000$ a year to play football up there then hell yeah I would've stayed. I don't know about you but my family doesn't have that kind of money laying around when I only went there to play football because I was addicted and still am. I am on the sidelines during games because Vince wants me there. I'm at the practices because Vince wants me there to help him out.

You have no idea how important football was to me my senior year. And why I would give 180,000$ to play for another four years.

And you really do have a lot of balls to call me out on the college thing. I didn't stay at Hartwick because every player there that wasn't a freshman coming in, was doing cocaine and steroids. You think I went up there expecting to be coach's favorite? Thats a joke. I only got there because of Wags. He was the first person to tell me I could play college ball.

If you wanted to grant me the 45,000$ a year to play football up there then hell yeah I would've stayed. I don't know about you but my family doesn't have that kind of money laying around when I only went there to play football because I was addicted and still am. I am on the sidelines during games because Vince wants me there. I'm at the practices because Vince wants me there to help him out.

You have no idea how important football was to me my senior year. And why I would give 180,000$ to play for another four years.

Damn you whine a lot kid, here's a hint next time pick your college based on your career path and what you can afford. Do the research properly when you are looking at schools and you don't end up somewhere that has a team full of coke heads and roid ragers. My kid is off playing baseball, he looked at 6 schools all based on academics first because he knows baseball isn't his future career just a tool to help him get into college and maybe play a few more years.

As for the Vince kid wanting you there, sorry but get on with your life. You had your shot at HS glory step away and let things go. You love the game get your ass back to a college where you can play, you aren't learning crap standing at a HS practice.

Damn you whine a lot kid, here's a hint next time pick your college based on your career path and what you can afford. Do the research properly when you are looking at schools and you don't end up somewhere that has a team full of coke heads and roid ragers. My kid is off playing baseball, he looked at 6 schools all based on academics first because he knows baseball isn't his future career just a tool to help him get into college and maybe play a few more years.

As for the Vince kid wanting you there, sorry but get on with your life. You had your shot at HS glory step away and let things go. You love the game get your ass back to a college where you can play, you aren't learning crap standing at a HS practice.

I don't understand where you get off comin onto a "kid" like this. I had plenty of high school glory and yeah I plan on getting back into the game at the college level. But I didn't know what I wanted to do when I went away to college and I still don't. So this turned from me defending my coach and a good friend of mine to you just attacking me? I never even heard about this website until yesterday when someone mentioned that people were tearing down Wags. When did you play for him? So how do you know what he is like and what kind of time he puts in?

As for that "Vince kid", he's a friend of mine and it's a hard offense to grasp and the quarterback happens to play a huge role in it. He wanted help so I was there to give it to him.

Im not going to sit here and insult you through a computer. You have a problem with me, say it to me, you have a problem with Wags, say it to him. Man up.

Guest old96er

SV won 3 games this year, beating Dryden, Unatego (C School), and Vestal. He ain't doin too much when he isn't getting a cake schedule. I hear he's a great coach though, just ask him....

I am truly at a loss as to the behavior of certain adults. This player clearly respects his former coach, feels loyalty toward him, and wants to defend him in a public way. He has even identified himself and not a single adult here has. I have kids this age and I would be very proud if my child supported his coach so publicly. Just as an aside, keep supporting your friend, stand up for your coach, and my guess with that courage and your personal ethics, you will do very well in this life....college, or otherwise.

I am truly at a loss as to the behavior of certain adults. This player clearly respects his former coach, feels loyalty toward him, and wants to defend him in a public way. He has even identified himself and not a single adult here has. I have kids this age and I would be very proud if my child supported his coach so publicly. Just as an aside, keep supporting your friend, stand up for your coach, and my guess with that courage and your personal ethics, you will do very well in this life....college, or otherwise.

Thank you

Guest Voice of Experience

Just be careful not to cling on to this HS "glory" to the point where it becomes the pinacle of your life. Take that work ethic to the classroom and on to the job market and it will serve you well there too.

Good Luck and perhaps teaching / coaching is your calling.

I called two guys I know on the Hartwick football team (both from Owego where I played), and the claim that the team is "cocaine and steroids" is a load of crap. Yeah a few kids have issues but its not an over-riding problem. The coach Mark Carr is a quality guy who would never deal with that crap in his program in my opinion. The issue was the Chantry kid wasn't that good and couldn't handle being down on the depth chart, he was the 6th QB. There are multiple Section 4 kids on that team call around and find out the story for yourselves before lauding this kid for making a blanket claim of drug problems and giving a quality place a bad reputation.

This isn't a kid who has agreat work ethic, he quit within weeks of joining. He called out the SV kids for not working enough and being pot heads and drinkers as well. Could it be he looks for excuses rather than seeing the reality? As for having the support of the SV team being there I would question that as well. We all know the guys that couldn't give up the limelight, they aren't the ones that ended up going places they were the ones who get stuck in the same spot reliving the days of high school greatness.

I called two guys I know on the Hartwick football team (both from Owego where I played), and the claim that the team is "cocaine and steroids" is a load of crap. Yeah a few kids have issues but its not an over-riding problem. The coach Mark Carr is a quality guy who would never deal with that crap in his program in my opinion. The issue was the Chantry kid wasn't that good and couldn't handle being down on the depth chart, he was the 6th QB. There are multiple Section 4 kids on that team call around and find out the story for yourselves before lauding this kid for making a blanket claim of drug problems and giving a quality place a bad reputation.

This isn't a kid who has agreat work ethic, he quit within weeks of joining. He called out the SV kids for not working enough and being pot heads and drinkers as well. Could it be he looks for excuses rather than seeing the reality? As for having the support of the SV team being there I would question that as well. We all know the guys that couldn't give up the limelight, they aren't the ones that ended up going places they were the ones who get stuck in the same spot reliving the days of high school greatness.

So you did your research huh? Did you GO THERE? And did you spend time there? Did YOU play there? You're an ass hole. I'm done doing this shit. You're a dirtbag you know what your quality guy Carr said to us? There was an incident when there was garbage left around the dorms and he said it was the snot-nosed punk dirt bag freshman. He said "Your gonna try to fuck with my reputation? Well Fuck you!". And Carr wouldn't put up with these things? You think Carr knew about all that? No, but Carr DID stand there and watch fist fights on the field during practice. The year before I was there. The whole team got in an offense vs. defense brawl. You weren't there, you don't know what you're talking about. You are the FIRST person to ever talk about me like this.

And yeah I called out the SV football team this year. I called them out on not being a FAMILY. That day after practice they were arguing about who was going to pick up equipment and a few kids got into heated arguments and threatening each other. THATS what I called them out on.

Also, great! I might not have been that good I don't mind that. I WAS 6th on the depth chart. I was recruited as a free safety dumb ass. I missed the first 3 days of offensive practice where they introduced the entire offense. It was football for 16 hours a day. You know how much I missed in that time? The day I left I was talking to Carr about it and his exact words were: "I was just thinking last night, that Chantry kid might have the best arm of all the quarterbacks we brought in this year."

I was TOLD face to face that I'de see guys doing Cocain all the time, and that I was going to end up doing it before I graduated. If you knew me enough to talk all this shit you would know that I wasn't there to start and have tons of playing time. I was there for the game, and to be part of a family like I was my senior year. I relive every moment of football my senior year, hell yeah. It was the only place I was happy. I knew I wasn't going to be happy enough playing at Hartwick for that kind of money. So what else do you have to insult me with?

So you did your research huh? Did you GO THERE? And did you spend time there? Did YOU play there? You're an ass hole. I'm done doing this shit. You're a dirtbag you know what your quality guy Carr said to us? There was an incident when there was garbage left around the dorms and he said it was the snot-nosed punk dirt bag freshman. He said "Your gonna try to fuck with my reputation? Well Fuck you!". And Carr wouldn't put up with these things? You think Carr knew about all that? No, but Carr DID stand there and watch fist fights on the field during practice. The year before I was there. The whole team got in an offense vs. defense brawl. You weren't there, you don't know what you're talking about. You are the FIRST person to ever talk about me like this.

And yeah I called out the SV football team this year. I called them out on not being a FAMILY. That day after practice they were arguing about who was going to pick up equipment and a few kids got into heated arguments and threatening each other. THATS what I called them out on.

Also, great! I might not have been that good I don't mind that. I WAS 6th on the depth chart. I was recruited as a free safety dumb ass. I missed the first 3 days of offensive practice where they introduced the entire offense. It was football for 16 hours a day. You know how much I missed in that time? The day I left I was talking to Carr about it and his exact words were: "I was just thinking last night, that Chantry kid might have the best arm of all the quarterbacks we brought in this year."

I was TOLD face to face that I'de see guys doing Cocain all the time, and that I was going to end up doing it before I graduated. If you knew me enough to talk all this shit you would know that I wasn't there to start and have tons of playing time. I was there for the game, and to be part of a family like I was my senior year. I relive every moment of football my senior year, hell yeah. It was the only place I was happy. I knew I wasn't going to be happy enough playing at Hartwick for that kind of money. So what else do you have to insult me with?

For having such crappy teams in basically all your program u people sure talk alot

Archived