Susquehanna valley sports

Guest Guest

Greene had 5 field hockey state titles in 10 years, ALL playing UP one or two classes enrollment-wise. Playing up and winning states is a greater accomplishment than SV's 6 softball titles in 12 seasons in my opinion. Not mathematically of course, but it's more impressive.

They didn't win 6 Titles they won Three.

Susquehanna Valley 3 1996-98

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it that every SV Sports thread inevitably turns into a Dale Cook flogging ? He left over 3 years ago people ... GET OVER IT ALREADY !!!

Let's talk the BIG 4 Sports :

Football : Great turnaround after an 0-4 start. Too bad they couldn't have played Owego in week 6 or 7 - they may be playing in the Playoffs this week. A .500 season is no embarrasment. Wagstaff doing OKAY - program appears to be moving in the right direction.

Basketball : This season holds allot of promise. They should compete for the division title for the first time in many years. They have size, athleticism, and experience returning. Time for Ward to deliver a winner. Basketball IQ still a big question mark - coaching can answer that bell.

Baseball : Moderately successful for years. Not sure coaching has all that much of an impact anyway. Much like Girls Softball (to a lesser degree of course) - Quality of Pitching will dictate success or failure.

Soccer : The most successful program at SV for years now (on the BOYS side). This year's squad has an excellent shot at winning the Section (Class B) as long as they are able to get the ball to Rood in space - (and he doesn't need that much either). Perhaps the new coach could call Al for a pointer or two. That said - Oneonta in Oneonta is always a tall task (provided both SV & OHS win in the Semis as expected).

GOOD LUCK to all Saber Teams & Coaches ...

Football- If this team is what you call going in the right direction I'd like to go someplace else. Wagstaff needed 4 weeks to figure out that his best player needed the ball more. The lost to every decent team this year they played, and never added back the CV game so they could try and keep a better record. They'll need a start like playing the 3 Class D teams last year to have a good record again with Dure graduating.

Basketball- Agree they could be good, especially if they get back the big kid that is out with an injury. 6'7" players are rare in STAC he could really change what they have.

Baseball- Not really sure they have too much to work with. Looking at the Legion rosters, not too many kids from that school ever play and you need to work more than Mar-May to improve and get your arm strength up.

Soccer- The one guys team sport that just seems to keep winning. Only thing Al could give pointers to this group on is how to let kids party and blow the big game like they did for him. I like the newer style they are playing more than the old kick it long and run on stuff I used to see. Lots of talent on the field now and the coach seems to have an approach that is solid. Rood is playing defense a lot more and the team is better for it, he's always going to get his offense but looks way more complete this year. Who knows what would have happened if the starting keeper was there all year.

Football- If this team is what you call going in the right direction I'd like to go someplace else. Wagstaff needed 4 weeks to figure out that his best player needed the ball more. The lost to every decent team this year they played, and never added back the CV game so they could try and keep a better record. They'll need a start like playing the 3 Class D teams last year to have a good record again with Dure graduating.

Dure - for all his speed, always seemed to lack vision and instinct. Agree about the weak schedule last year also. One thing that drives me nuts is having the QB run back and forth to the sideline to get the play. Leaves no time for audibles & adjustments, not to mention wearing out the QB.

Basketball- Agree they could be good, especially if they get back the big kid that is out with an injury. 6'7" players are rare in STAC he could really change what they have.

Basketball IQ a huge question mark. Can this team ball ?

Baseball- Not really sure they have too much to work with. Looking at the Legion rosters, not too many kids from that school ever play and you need to work more than Mar-May to improve and get your arm strength up.

AGREE

Soccer- The one guys team sport that just seems to keep winning. Only thing Al could give pointers to this group on is how to let kids party and blow the big game like they did for him. I like the newer style they are playing more than the old kick it long and run on stuff I used to see. Lots of talent on the field now and the coach seems to have an approach that is solid. Rood is playing defense a lot more and the team is better for it, he's always going to get his offense but looks way more complete this year. Who knows what would have happened if the starting keeper was there all year.

Cheap shot on Al and past teams. His teams only won the "big one" a couple times - but they were always there and rarely lost the division.

New coach has allot of talent to work with - still has a ways to go to match Al's success. I'll withhold judgement until after Rood graduates. Then we'll see how this new "style" is working.

Where have you been - Hello ? McFly ???

They didn't win 6 Titles they won Three.

Susquehanna Valley 3 1996-98

SVs 6 titles came in 96-97-98 and 05-06-07 which would mean 6 State titles in 12 years.

SVs 6 titles came in 96-97-98 and 05-06-07 which would mean 6 State titles in 12 years.

Agreed - Some moron keeps posting the only 3 titles garbage. Needs to brush up on his Google skills ...

Cheap shot on Al and past teams. His teams only won the "big one" a couple times - but they were always there and rarely lost the division.

Not a cheap shot, its the truth of what happened to his teams many times. Al let his kids get away with murder I know way too many kids that played for him that partied a lot and he didn't care. As for the soccer division titles remember Al was there almost 20 years before he won. My dad played for him and said they were ok when he played but Forks, Oneonta and Seton all used to beat them for the division. They lost a lot more seasons than they won with him there

Newsflash - That stuff goes on everywhere, for every school. Should not be attributed to the coach. You will realize that some day. In the meantime - you will need to toughen up a bit to beat Oneonta. How about getting that point across to your teammates in practice this week ?

Also - you need to check your stats. Team was quite successful in the Mid 80s & from the mid 90s - up to the present. Certainly not all Al's doing - but he didn't mess them up either.

Newsflash - That stuff goes on everywhere, for every school. Should not be attributed to the coach. You will realize that some day. In the meantime - you will need to toughen up a bit to beat Oneonta. How about getting that point across to your teammates in practice this week ? Also - you need to check your stats. Team was quite successful in the Mid 80s & from the mid 90s - up to the present. Certainly not all Al's doing - but he didn't mess them up either.

My stats are accurate, you can look it up here http://stacshowcase....ocs/history.pdf go to page 15 Boys Soccer, you won't see any mention of SV until 1997, Al had been there almost 20 years at that time, my dad was out of school by 83 and he played for the guy for two years. If you believe all his stories he'll tell you how much he won but its not true. Since 97 they have been a solid program right up there with Oneonta, Vestal etc as the best of STAC but before that they were not title contenders. Don't think my dad would lie to me about not winning titles in HS.

And why are you saying get it across to my teammates at practice this week? I'm out of SV now, as I said I knew guys on Al's teams that partied and blew the final. I also know guys from other schools and the majority would not be dumb enough to party until 4 am the day before a championship game. And yes it should be attributed in a coach who shows little to no discipline for his team. When the coach sets the bar at a low level of responsibility it will happen more than with coaches who hold players to a higher standard. The guy let his players do whatever they wanted and never called them on it.

I don't think SV needs to toughen up to win this game either. They aren't a hammer it long and win 50/50 ball style squad. The goals they scored last game were all controlled plays or set pieces. From what fans were saying on the side it sounds like they are actually just all getting healthy now a couple of key injuries during the year and everyone is just getting back.

You need to check your facts again and ask the old man about the team from the mid 80s ... The Kick and Chase style was certainly not Al's trademark, but if you had the players to beat teams over the top - why not employ that strategy ? Speed kills and one would be foolish not to use it to your advantage.

And don't get too excited about the T-Burg game. The CF game was touch and go until Rood single-handedly broke it open. The team does have a tendncy to play soft - which may be attributed to it's youth - but if they want to get by Oneonta, they will need to play much more aggressively. The losses to Windsor & Seton & JC should have clearly shown you this. Let's not get too big of a head there junior - you haven't beaten anyone you weren't supposed to beat.

Good Luck to the Sabers up in Oneonta.

Cutting in Dure is very rough, if you hav watched any SV game, he has some if the best vision in section 4. Also maybe one if the most patient runners in section 4. This just shows how your only on here to degrade and cut on high school kids. Dure deserves more credit because if all the hard work he put in, this is a kid who deserves to succeed.

Yeah rushing for 1000 yards must have been a coincidence... your right..

He still got to the number despite the coach. Dure touched the ball 7 times in week one and 5 times in week two total. How does your best player get less touches than your second string fullback in the first two weeks? He was healthy, there were no injuries all year for him. It was just poor coaching, Wagstaff needed to use him all year but didn't.

Cutting in Dure is very rough, if you hav watched any SV game, he has some if the best vision in section 4. Also maybe one if the most patient runners in section 4. This just shows how your only on here to degrade and cut on high school kids. Dure deserves more credit because if all the hard work he put in, this is a kid who deserves to succeed.

Sorry - The original assessment was meant to be positive in regards to SV and it's football program. Dure is an excellent back and I hope he goes on to play at the next level. My comments were based on my observations having seen a handful of games over the last 2 years. Perhaps I witnessed some of his less impressive performances.

Al was one of the greatest soccer coaches that stac will ever see and your a fool to think other wise. The new coach is horrible and it will be shown once he loses rood.

From a technical standpoint Al knew soccer but he was not a great coach. Al's teams were loaded with talent but repeatedly under-achieved. In big games, Al's teams were unprepared and he was repeatedly out coached.

Al was one of the greatest soccer coaches that stac will ever see and your a fool to think other wise. The new coach is horrible and it will be shown once he loses rood.

You watch SV during sectionals? During the T-Burg and Oneonta games Rood played great but the team around him was doing a great job as well. Rood didn't have to dominate because the team was playing well together, and thats a better sign than one great player carrying the load. Not so sure the team will fall apart like you suggest when he is gone. Totaly agree with the previous poster on SV underachieving with Mydlinski at the helm. The CF loss was embarassing, he lost to a weaker EFA team that same year in the STAC Final, he coached for over 30 years I think and won only 3 titles-1 STAC 2 Sectional (East Division crowns don't count) thats not the mark of a great coach. Like a previous poster has mentioned SV won nothing until the late 1990's under him. A great coach doesn't take 20 years to build a program.

Not saying that Al was the pinnacle of Soccer coaching and I often questioned his strategy and deployment of the talent his teams possessed, but he is twice the coach that the new guy will ever be and that will prove itself out over time. Saying Division crowns doesn't count is BS and you know it. You can only play the teams you were scheduled to play. I share your frustration in not winning the "big ones" as SV should have at least 3 more Sectional titles to it's name, but at least they were there. Also - the 80s had some decent success (after many years of losing seasons before Al took over) . I recall the Chapman - Clinton teams being very successful, then a lull until the early-mid 90s and winners year in year out there after.

Give credit where credit is due son ...

Not saying that Al was the pinnacle of Soccer coaching and I often questioned his strategy and deployment of the talent his teams possessed, but he is twice the coach that the new guy will ever be and that will prove itself out over time. Saying Division crowns doesn't count is BS and you know it. You can only play the teams you were scheduled to play. I share your frustration in not winning the "big ones" as SV should have at least 3 more Sectional titles to it's name, but at least they were there. Also - the 80s had some decent success (after many years of losing seasons before Al took over) . I recall the Chapman - Clinton teams being very successful, then a lull until the early-mid 90s and winners year in year out there after.

Give credit where credit is due son ...

The Clinton-Chapman teams won nothing, so I have no idea what success you are talking about. At that time Seton, Oneonta and Forks all dominated SV and they were in the same class. As it has been said, Al did not win anything until the mid to late 90's and he took over SV in 1980 or so. Once again 2 Sectional Titles in 30 years does not make a great coach, its the truest measure cause its when you play the teams your own size.

Never proclaimed Al to be a great coach. He is the winningest coach ever at SV - due to his longevity. Kind of a Jim Boeheim type of resume on a HS level. To say he won "nothing" is a huge insult to the kids who played and won those ~200 or so games. Falling short of winning the Sectional title does not equate to winning nothing my book, and there are hundreds of ex-SV players that would be a bit upset hearing that some punk is calling them all losers.

Let's face it - out of all the major sports - Soccer is the one (if it is even to be considered major) where coaching has the least impact on the outcome of the game. So it's really the players you are trashing here. Nice agenda.

Never proclaimed Al to be a great coach. He is the winningest coach ever at SV - due to his longevity. Kind of a Jim Boeheim type of resume on a HS level. To say he won "nothing" is a huge insult to the kids who played and won those ~200 or so games.

Al was one of the greatest soccer coaches that stac will ever see and your a fool to think other wise.

As for 200 wins in 30 seasons, thats less than 7 wins a season, most soccer teams play 16+ games a year so that would be under .500 each year for the average. Thats hardly the sign of a great coach. As its been said he won 3 titles, its good but not a sign of greatness. Lets add to that his division for the last 10 years of his coaching had CV, Windsor and WP the worst 3 teams in the league easy so he could get 6 wins easy. Throw in the gimmie win at Norwich each season and you can see how he got 7+ wins. I know he lost more than he won against ME, Owego while I was there.

First off, I am not the parent of a soccer player. I really don't know much about soccer, but I am disturbed by this post. At a minimum, this is is a man who dedicated years and years of his personal time (and if you think he was in it for the money you are a moron) to the kids at the school ... and did fairly well. Why in the world is someone bashing anyone who was willing to do this and succeeded at least at some level. I would love to see those of you who were willing to do this over as many years as this man did post your names and phone numbers. My guess is that, at most, you spent a few seasons coaching your kid at the town ball level. My other guess is that in lieu of coaching,, you spent your time complaining on the side lines about the coach.

Listen kid - the ~200 wins was a guess. You clearly do not have the #s either. Again - I never called him a great coach (that was some other poster).

It's too bad that the teams you played on were losers. SV has had consistently winning teams over the last 15 years - I can't recall one sub .500 team.

Like I said - he was good, not great. His teams beat the teams they were supposed to and didn't lose to teams like Windsor (ever), and Seton (maybe once or twice in 15 years). Can't say the same for the current coach.

Archived