Susquehanna valley sports

Guest Guest

Why is it that every SV Sports thread inevitably turns into a Dale Cook flogging ? He left over 3 years ago people ... GET OVER IT ALREADY !!!

Let's talk the BIG 4 Sports :

Football : Great turnaround after an 0-4 start. Too bad they couldn't have played Owego in week 6 or 7 - they may be playing in the Playoffs this week. A .500 season is no embarrasment. Wagstaff doing OKAY - program appears to be moving in the right direction.

Basketball : This season holds allot of promise. They should compete for the division title for the first time in many years. They have size, athleticism, and experience returning. Time for Ward to deliver a winner. Basketball IQ still a big question mark - coaching can answer that bell.

Baseball : Moderately successful for years. Not sure coaching has all that much of an impact anyway. Much like Girls Softball (to a lesser degree of course) - Quality of Pitching will dictate success or failure.

Soccer : The most successful program at SV for years now (on the BOYS side). This year's squad has an excellent shot at winning the Section (Class B) as long as they are able to get the ball to Rood in space - (and he doesn't need that much either). Perhaps the new coach could call Al for a pointer or two. That said - Oneonta in Oneonta is always a tall task (provided both SV & OHS win in the Semis as expected).

GOOD LUCK to all Saber Teams & Coaches ...

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, that the time has come to give the Coach Cook comments a rest. HOWEVER, given the great success that the SV Varsity Softball Team has had over the past 15 years (How many State Softball Championships won), I would have to say that Varsity Softball at SV 'should be the #1 sport" of the BIG 4 at SVHS (no other sport at SVHS has had that kind of success)

Why is it that every SV Sports thread inevitably turns into a Dale Cook flogging ? He left over 3 years ago people ... GET OVER IT ALREADY !!!

Let's talk the BIG 4 Sports :

Football : Great turnaround after an 0-4 start. Too bad they couldn't have played Owego in week 6 or 7 - they may be playing in the Playoffs this week. A .500 season is no embarrasment. Wagstaff doing OKAY - program appears to be moving in the right direction.

Basketball : This season holds allot of promise. They should compete for the division title for the first time in many years. They have size, athleticism, and experience returning. Time for Ward to deliver a winner. Basketball IQ still a big question mark - coaching can answer that bell.

Baseball : Moderately successful for years. Not sure coaching has all that much of an impact anyway. Much like Girls Softball (to a lesser degree of course) - Quality of Pitching will dictate success or failure.

Soccer : The most successful program at SV for years now (on the BOYS side). This year's squad has an excellent shot at winning the Section (Class B) as long as they are able to get the ball to Rood in space - (and he doesn't need that much either). Perhaps the new coach could call Al for a pointer or two. That said - Oneonta in Oneonta is always a tall task (provided both SV & OHS win in the Semis as expected).

GOOD LUCK to all Saber Teams & Coaches ...

Just trying to steer this thing away from Cook.

Seems as if you want to drag it back there.

YES - We are all proud of the Girl's accomplishments in Softball.

Looking for input on the BIG 4 BOYS Sports.

Thank you

Just trying to steer this thing away from Cook.

Seems as if you want to drag it back there.

Agreed - But your original post said Big 4 Sports (not Big 4 Boys Sports)

Bottom Line historically, Varsity Softball at SVHS is the # 1 "Birg 4 sport" at the school (no doubt about it)

YES - We are all proud of the Girl's accomplishments in Softball.

Looking for input on the BIG 4 BOYS Sports.

Thank you

Guest Enough already

Okay - You asked for it ...

Take away B. Cook & B. Wiggins and all you have is a STAC division title or two over 15 years. Which is why Girls Softball is not a BIG 4 team sport.

When one player can dominate a sport like that - one must question the impact of a coach or the overall strength of the "program" for that matter.

Football-Baseball-Basketball-Soccer while certainly influenced by a premier player, require much more of a team effort which is where coaching and the "program" come into play and pay long term dividends.

OK, I will pass your comments along to the countless number of other players who played on each of those championship teams to tell them that you feel that their contributions were such that without "B.Cook and B.Wiggins" that they would basically have only won a STAC Division Title (Be Careful, you might end up have a number of angry ex-SVHS Varsity Softball Players at your door.)

Okay - You asked for it ...

Take away B. Cook & B. Wiggins and all you have is a STAC division title or two over 15 years. Which is why Girls Softball is not a BIG 4 team sport.

When one player can dominate a sport like that - one must question the impact of a coach or the overall strength of the "program" for that matter.

Football-Baseball-Basketball-Soccer while certainly influenced by a premier player, require much more of a team effort which is where coaching and the "program" come into play and pay long term dividends.

Did SV win 4 NYS titles with Barb & 4 with Becca? any during Rachel's years? Is that 7 NYS championships for Cook? The Bidwell's were the coaches for one of Becca's.

The intention was not to take anything away from all the Girls who played a part in the Team's success over the past 15 years or whatever. Just clarifying why I consider the BIG 4 TEAM Sports to be the ones I originally mentioned.

The Softball scholarships that were earned - and deserved, speak to the talent and hard work of those girls.

You questioned why Softball is not one of the BIG four Team Sports and I responded. No personal attacks rendered from here - Just my opinion.

Did SV win 4 NYS titles with Barb & 4 with Becca? any during Rachel's years? Is that 7 NYS championships for Cook? The Bidwell's were the coaches for one of Becca's.

I think it was 3 & 3 with Cook coaching the 1st 5 and the Bidwells the sixth. Certainly an unparalleled accomplishment for a school from this area. 6 State championships in ~15 years. I don't believe there has been another School in Section IV to do that in any Sport / Class (Boys or Girls).

Certainly an unparalleled accomplishment for a school from this area. 6 State championships in ~15 years. I don't believe there has been another School in Section IV to do that in any Sport / Class (Boys or Girls).

Typical blindness to the sucesses of others. SVs 6 state titles in 15 years isn't even close to what is the probable local standard. Marathon field hockey has taken home the state title in 9 of the 17 seasons from 1994 thru 2010. I am not sure if they are still in the running this season.

Guest Just the Facts maam

SVs 6 titles came in 96-97-98 and 05-06-07 which would mean 6 State titles in 12 years.

Did Marathon win 6 in 12 years ? If so - that would surpass SV. Congrats.

Either way - I wouldn't call it blindness to the success of others, much less "typical". You act is if dozens of schools have accomplished more - which we both know is total BS. The only other possible school that I can think of would be Afton in Class D softball ...

Please provide dates of the Marathon state titles in Field Hockey to confirm the 7 state titles in 12 years (which would surpass SV's mark).

your grammar skills show who the stupid one is. also, you are talking about girl's softball. what's next, whiffle ball????

The You Sir/Madam Are an Stupid Human part came through loud and clear though.

SVs 6 titles came in 96-97-98 and 05-06-07 which would mean 6 State titles in 12 years.

Did Marathon win 6 in 12 years ? If so - that would surpass SV. Congrats.

Either way - I wouldn't call it blindness to the success of others, much less "typical". You act is if dozens of schools have accomplished more - which we both know is total BS. The only other possible school that I can think of would be Afton in Class D softball ...

Please provide dates of the Marathon state titles in Field Hockey to confirm the 7 state titles in 12 years (which would surpass SV's mark).

Well:

Consecutive Team Wins

Marathon 87

Garden City 61 2005-07

Garden City 58 1998-00

Auburn 51 1973-77

Lakeland 36 2006-07

Taconic Hills 32 1975-78

Rome Free Academy 24 1994-95

Lakeland 24 1990

Williamsville North 23 2007-present

Looks like pretty dominant team to me.

Well:

Consecutive Team Wins

Marathon 87

Garden City 61 2005-07

Garden City 58 1998-00

Auburn 51 1973-77

Lakeland 36 2006-07

Taconic Hills 32 1975-78

Rome Free Academy 24 1994-95

Lakeland 24 1990

Williamsville North 23 2007-present

Looks like pretty dominant team to me.

Coaching Wins

Nancy Cole Centereach/Ward Melville 578 (retired)

Judy Kopelman Miller Place 495 (retired)

Sharon Sarsen Lakeland 445 (active)

Linda Adams East Irondeuoit/Eastridge 415 (active)

Karen Funk Marathon 411 (active)

Patti Vaughan Morrisville-Eaton 399 (active)

Mary Ellen Seeley Taconic Hills 375 (active)

Linda Krausz Rhinebeck 373 (active)

Wendy Seifried Vernon-Verona-Sherill 339 (active)

Christine Holden Southampton 336 (retired)

Consecutive Coaching Wins

Karen Funk Marathon 68 (active)

Coaching Wins

Nancy Cole Centereach/Ward Melville 578 (retired)

Judy Kopelman Miller Place 495 (retired)

Sharon Sarsen Lakeland 445 (active)

Linda Adams East Irondeuoit/Eastridge 415 (active)

Karen Funk Marathon 411 (active)

Patti Vaughan Morrisville-Eaton 399 (active)

Mary Ellen Seeley Taconic Hills 375 (active)

Linda Krausz Rhinebeck 373 (active)

Wendy Seifried Vernon-Verona-Sherill 339 (active)

Christine Holden Southampton 336 (retired)

Consecutive Coaching Wins

Karen Funk Marathon 68 (active)

State Championships

Marathon 8

Carle Place 6 1983-97

Greene 5

Miller Place 5

Garden City 5

Centereach 4

Garden City 4

Johnstown 4

Marathon 4

Lakeland 4 1990,03,06,09

Afton 2

Maine-Endwell 2

Brewster 2

Hoosick Falls 2

Schuylerville

Red Hook

Far be it from me to say you people like to rewrite history.

State Championships

Bay Shore 5 1994, 95, 97, 98, 05

Afton 4 1985, 87, 95, 96

Mechanicville 4 2000, 01, 02, 05

Seton Catholic 4 1993-96

Susquehanna Valley 3 1996-98

Union-Endicott 3 1986, 87, 90

Williamsville South 3 2000, 04, 06

Cicero-North Syracuse 2 1989, 99

Eastchester 2 1990, 91

Hoosick Falls 2 1987, 88

Horseheads 2 1993, 96

Minisink Valley 2 1992, 93

South Glens Falls 2 2002, 07

Stockbridge Valley 2 1988, 89

Now those U-E Girls knew how to Bowl!!!

State Champions

Union-Endicott 5 1983,84,91,93,96

Hudson 3 1987,89,94

Lockport 2 1998,02

Niagara Wheatfield 2 1988,97

And Boys soccer.

State Championships

Pittsford Mendon 7

Shenendehowa 6

Southold 6

Cold Spring Harbor 5

Chazy 5 04,06,07,09,10

Red Creek 5

Keio Academy 4

Arlington 3 84,99,06

Brentwood 3

John Glenn 3

Maple Hill 3 98,00,06

Penfield 3

Vestal 3

So back to the point : Please advise which Section IV team has won 7 State championships in 12 years (which would surpass SV's mark of 6 in 12 years) ?

Nice cut and paste skills on the other posts though ...

Guest BC Voice loser

Why are all of you guys stuck on 6 state championships in 12 years....?????? you start counting back in 1996 and it certainly is not 2008. grow up and get over it, they are dominant in softball but dont say 6 in 12 years, say 6 in 15 years

Lets see 6 in 15 years is one every 2.5 years for SV softball, 9 in 17 years is one for every 1.8 years for Marathon Field Hockey. Guess math is different in Dale Cook land. He's way more successful LOL.

So back to the point : Please advise which Section IV team has won 7 State championships in 12 years (which would surpass SV's mark of 6 in 12 years) ?

Nice cut and paste skills on the other posts though ...

Still waiting ...

Archived