'24' to end this season

Guest Bauer, Jack Bauer

Guest Bauer, Jack Bauer

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/03/26/...n-in-the-works/

Fox confirmed today that after eight seasons, 24 will air its series finale on May 24. Star Kiefer Sutherland told EW.com that producing a ninth season for another network like NBC was not an option because he and executive producer Howard Gordon were ready to call it quits.

“The writers are producing the equivalent of 12 films a year, which is unheard of, and Howard felt to do a ninth would be potentially damaging,” said Sutherland. “We both felt strongly that there has been a demand and an interest in a 24 film, which would be a two-hour representation of a 24-hour day, so we felt it was time to move in that direction.”

Sutherland promised the series finale would tee up the 24 movie that’s in the works at 20th Century Fox. Billy Ray (State of Play) is writing the screenplay. “We wanted to create a definitive end for Jack Bauer,” explains Sutherland. “Since we do have the intention to make the feature film, it would lead into that and certainly set that up.

“Something we’ve dealt with in the series is how the crisis always has to come to us because we don’t have time to move anywhere in a real time world,” he continued. “In a two-hour (movie) representation of the 24 world, planes, trains, and automobiles all of a sudden become a factor because you are not required to go scene by scene in real time. That’s something I can say I am very excited about.”

As for the actual series finale, Gordon told EW.com that he and Sutherland considered everything from a happy to a tragic ending for Jack Bauer and ended up with episodes that take some risks: “We go to a very definitive, very complex place.”

Guest Guest

The show has jumped the shark...definitely lost its mojo...the writing was on the wall at end of last season when Jack went all sensitive and found solace in Islam, "the religion of peace."

This season is a big disappointment.

Just how many times does CTU have to get blown up? The writers are phoning it in with their cookie cutter scripts and plot twists. Seriously...the Dana thing with her old boyfriend is lame and takes the story NOWHERE. They're in the middle of national security crisis with a radiological bomb about to be deployed in NYC and she's dicking around with some parole officer from East Manure looking for her old boyfriend and he 's allowed to waltz right into CTU?

It's run its course and it's time to end it.

Guest Guest
The show has jumped the shark...definitely lost its mojo...the writing was on the wall at end of last season when Jack went all sensitive and found solace in Islam, "the religion of peace."

This season is a big disappointment.

Just how many times does CTU have to get blown up? The writers are phoning it in with their cookie cutter scripts and plot twists. Seriously...the Dana thing with her old boyfriend is lame and takes the story NOWHERE. They're in the middle of national security crisis with a radiological bomb about to be deployed in NYC and she's dicking around with some parole officer from East Manure looking for her old boyfriend and he 's allowed to waltz right into CTU?

It's run its course and it's time to end it.

I guess you wrote this before viewing this week's episode. 24 is still the best on tv!

Guest Guest
I guess you wrote this before viewing this week's episode. 24 is still the best on tv!

I'll get back to you after I view it today, but it's gotta be REAL good to make me change my mind.

Guest Guest
I'll get back to you after I view it today, but it's gotta be REAL good to make me change my mind.

It suprised me. 24 is still very good this year!

Guest Guest
It suprised me. 24 is still very good this year!

THAT surprised you?

It surprised me in that they actually went back with the stale device of a "mole" working in CTU...hiw many times are they going to pull that one out of the hat?

Now you know why it's the last season...they've officially run out of fresh ideas...they've gone creatively stale.

@

Guest Guest

The last time they had a true mole was Nina back in the beginning - this year has been rough but the last two episodes have been great - definately will miss this show

Guest Guest
The last time they had a true mole was Nina back in the beginning - this year has been rough but the last two episodes have been great - definately will miss this show

You are forgetting CTU programmer Jamey Farrell in Season 2

Maryann Taylor in Season 4

Spencer Wolf in Season 5

They've gone to the "mole" well too many times

Guest Guest

Spencer Wolf in Season 5

I don't care. Given what's on tv these days...24 is still the best. It delivers each and every time.

On of my alltime favorite parodies.

"The Unaired 24 Pilot Episode" from 1994. (with 1994 technology...AOL, pagers, dot-matrix printers etc)

Wolf

P.S. Another great parody, Thanksgiving At the Krantz's (Apollo 13 parody...runs 18 minutes, so get some popcorn)

Guest Guest

Spencer Wolf in Season 5

Ok I forgot Maryann - but Spencer wasn't a bad mole...once he realized who he was helping he didn't do any more harm - I'll take a mole in 4 and then nothing till season 8

Guest Guest
Ok I forgot Maryann - but Spencer wasn't a bad mole...once he realized who he was helping he didn't do any more harm - I'll take a mole in 4 and then nothing till season 8

Still...how many times is CTU going to get bombed?

Guest Guest

Spencer Wolf in Season 5

MOLEY, MOLEY, MOLEY.

Guest Guest
Still...how many times is CTU going to get bombed?

Maybe I'm not a good fan haha - but I can only remember CTU getting destroyed in season 2.....season 6 with the shooters inside CTU and season 3 with the gas in CTU didn't destroy systems and all

Guest Guest
Maybe I'm not a good fan haha - but I can only remember CTU getting destroyed in season 2.....season 6 with the shooters inside CTU and season 3 with the gas in CTU didn't destroy systems and all

Right...you'd think they'd find a way move creatively move the story along without resorting to the same type of security breach at CTU.

After all that's happened in previous seasons...they expect the audience to simply accept an idiot parole officer from Podunk Arkansas wandering around what's supposed to be a secure area in the middle of a national security crisis, and nobody bothers to check out a terrorist vehicle being driven into the underground secure faciility in the middle of the same national security crisis and oh wow...gee whiz...big surprise...the car has a bomb in it!

It's obvious that they've officially run out of ideas.

Guest Guest
Right...you'd think they'd find a way move creatively move the story along without resorting to the same type of security breach at CTU.

After all that's happened in previous seasons...they expect the audience to simply accept an idiot parole officer from Podunk Arkansas wandering around what's supposed to be a secure area in the middle of a national security crisis, and nobody bothers to check out a terrorist vehicle being driven into the underground secure faciility in the middle of the same national security crisis and oh wow...gee whiz...big surprise...the car has a bomb in it!

It's obvious that they've officially run out of ideas.

ok if you watched it last night you know they have NOT lost their touch! it is a great show and i will be so sad to see it go...i am sure the movie will be great but will miss the show!

Guest Guest
ok if you watched it last night you know they have NOT lost their touch! it is a great show and i will be so sad to see it go...i am sure the movie will be great but will miss the show!

agreed - im the biggest 24 diehard, but this year has been slow. last night was absolutely awesome! very sad to see it go

Guest Guest

I'll lert you know after I watch it...it's on the DVR.

Guest Guest
hurry up it is a great one!!!!

I have to say...last week's two hour special was great as was this week's installment.

That being said...I still think they've played it out....there's not really anywhere else for them to go as a series...hopefully the feature length movie format will allow them to take it to the next level.

Archived