Problems with Roadrunner & Vista

Guest Whacked

Don't....let me repeat that....DON'T get McAfee, it is the biggest system hog on the market....aside from vista its self that is. Just go with AVG free (or Avast Antivirus) for your antivirus, and adaware and spybot for your spyware defense. All are free and work very good.

McAfee it by far and away the slowest and most "system hungry" software out there today. Serously do some research on the subject before you spend 40 to 60 dollars on a program that sucks and you have to "subscribe" to their service every year just for updates (give them more money basically)!

@

You are 100% correct pardner. I have been using Avast and Spybot for over a year with no problems. McAfee ate my computer up and Norton was no better.

@

Guest C# guy

1st try this.......

Do the 3 finger salute. Press [CONTROL], [ALT], [DELETE] keys all at once

This will bring up the windows Task Manager

Click on the Processes tab

Click twice on CPU

This will show what is running on your computer.

Click on ImageName to get a look at everything in alphabetical order

Then GOOGLE the name that you suspect. ex.... DVDTray.exe

Then proceed from there , remove the offending program or just disable it.

Common causes..... Bittorrent running in the background, 2 users logged in and one is running a program that you can't see or even check if windows is doing an automatic update. That happened to me. I'm in the middle of something. Then everything slowed down to a crawl. I checked the lower rightside of my taskbar, there was windows update doing it's automatic thing.

hope this helps a little. CHEERS

Vista still has a few problems, Microsoft hasn't got all the kinks out yet.

Alot of people are having trouble with Vista. You should wait till everything is working right before purchasing anything with Vista.

Or just install or re-install XP Pro. You couldn't pay me to run vista. I would still be running 2000 pro if they didn't stop making drivers for it.

Better yet...win95........ (sniff)

Vista works ok for me, you just have to get used to it!

With 98 and XP, I've had to wipe and reload my OS 2-3 times a year from the junk that piles up. I had 2K on my system for 2 years and never had a problem. From what I heard about vista, it's more of the same. But I could be wrong, I don't have it.

Archived