Overtime Pay

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

If a person works a 40 hour week and stays sometimes 15-30 minutes past the time they are supposed to clock out, shouldnt that person get paid overtime? And what if your boss tells you to clock out and then finish what needs to be done on the job? Is that not illegal?

If a person works a 40 hour week and stays sometimes 15-30 minutes past the time they are supposed to clock out, shouldnt that person get paid overtime? And what if your boss tells you to clock out and then finish what needs to be done on the job? Is that not illegal?

yes and yes. it sounds like hell.

If you "work" those 15-30 minutes then you should get paid for it, Next time tell your boss that when that time clock gets punched so does your gas pedal, dont stay if your not getting paid for it

Guest Guest
yes and yes. it sounds like hell.

...and then start looking for another job because you're not going to be there long w/ that attitude!

If you "work" those 15-30 minutes then you should get paid for it, Next time tell your boss that when that time clock gets punched so does your gas pedal, dont stay if your not getting paid for it

Unless he's buying!! I'll take a BUD!! :lol:

40 hours is reg time after 40 hours its overtime.

@

Do you take any breaks during the day that aren't regular breaks and get paid for them? Does your boss turn the other way when you take phone calls on the job or when someone comes to see you? Does your boss tell you to punch out when things are slow or does he let you stay on the clock anyway?

Be glad you have a job. If you aren't glad, I suggest you tell you boss where to stick his job and go home, I am sure there is a line waiting to take your place.

Honestly, if it was a decent job, I'd put in 15-30 min no problem...do you actually "punch in", though?

Just trying to figure out if this is a salaried position?

@

if it was salaried, wouldnt be complaining about not getting paid OT ...

Guest Guest

I had a similar problem a few years ago. I would write the times down on my time sheet and never got paid for it. I had a job where someone needed to be there 24 hours a day. Second shift was late almost everyday. The boss said it would make second shifter 'look bad' if he paid me for the overtime. My boss and the second shift person were both in the same volunteer fire company(the boss is/was the chief). I started keeping track of the hours I worked and was not paid for. When I was getting ready to retire I presented a copy to him and said I was going to the labor board. He looked like he was going to have a stroke. He let me retire two weeks early, with pay.

Guest Guest
I had a similar problem a few years ago. I would write the times down on my time sheet and never got paid for it. I had a job where someone needed to be there 24 hours a day. Second shift was late almost everyday. The boss said it would make second shifter 'look bad' if he paid me for the overtime. My boss and the second shift person were both in the same volunteer fire company(the boss is/was the chief). I started keeping track of the hours I worked and was not paid for. When I was getting ready to retire I presented a copy to him and said I was going to the labor board. He looked like he was going to have a stroke. He let me retire two weeks early, with pay.

I was on the payroll of a company that closed all operations in this area for a few months when they closed because the package they offered was not up to par with the quality of work they received from me. When I presented them with all of the evidence, e-mails and responses, and the list of people / state officials that I was going to contact, they were more than happy to accomodate me while I transitioned to a new job after a wonderful two month vacation.

Contrary to young William's stand on how one should treat labor, when you depend on people to run your business, it is wise to ensure you treat them fairly and well. If not, you may be out of business or in the middle of a time consuming and costly lawsuit.

@

I was on the payroll of a company that closed all operations in this area for a few months when they closed because the package they offered was not up to par with the quality of work they received from me. When I presented them with all of the evidence, e-mails and responses, and the list of people / state officials that I was going to contact, they were more than happy to accomodate me while I transitioned to a new job after a wonderful two month vacation.

Contrary to young William's stand on how one should treat labor, when you depend on people to run your business, it is wise to ensure you treat them fairly and well. If not, you may be out of business or in the middle of a time consuming and costly lawsuit.

@

Which Young William are you refering to?

Guest Reddi Killowatt
Which Young William are you refering to?

He would prolly be refering to you Billy, (young William, get it? Billy being short for William???) :lol:

Guest Reddi Killowatt
Just meant the handle, Reddi! ;)

Yeah, I know....I was TRYING to be funny. Not that it works, but hey, it's worth a shot.

Usually, if it's salary, back in the day when I worked in personnel, if you work over, you come in late or leave early on a later day. But this was a long time ago. i dunno. :huh:

I have been offered salary several times and I have declined. It just makes me nervous. They can work you into the ground and never have to worry about overtime.

Archived