Fastest boys ever from Section 4

Guest green97

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

Raboy could have been a 10.3-10.4 high shcool 100 meter dash runner on a modern track.

Well if you say so I guess we'll have to believe you. Thanks...

Guest Been There

The bottom line is kids are bigger, faster and stronger and the training has come a long way since the time you're talking about. You don't see people saying "if Jesse Owens ran on Vestal's track he'd beat Usain Bolt" do you? Of course not, that would be stupid and yet that's what you just did.

Not true, people wonder all the time about athletes from the past running on modern tracks. There is a difference. What would Thomas have run on cinders? Slower than he ran on a modern all weather track. It makes for an interesting discussion- no one is attacking anyone personally by arguing for or against Raboy or Thomas. Just offering scenarios. The truth is, we will never really know. What we do know is that Raboy ran 9.7 for 100 yds which converts to 10.4 for 100 meters. That's the accepted conversion for the differences. That also converts to 10.64 FAT- adding .24 is the accepted conversion for HT to FAT.

Guest I was there

Oh "I was there" you sound like another little bitch who got beat his whole HS track career and 40 years later you are still bitter and bitchin' about it. Too bad Raboy smoked your ass....at ME, at Morrisville, at where-ever..... Yes Raboy was the fastest we've ever had in Section 4 and yes...faster than Jordan Thomas! Raboy would win in a 10 meter dash, 40 meter dash, 100 meter, running for milk & eggs at the Giant. Stop your crying.

Not true. Lettered three years in track and field, was All-Stac, All Conference, and competed in States. I didn't compete in Morrisville but watched as a HS sophomore. I don't see anything bitter in my posting but was able to state observed facts. And you? Did you see both runners at any time? Hmmmm...no you say? I never said anything bad about Raboy, about him being slow or a bad runner. He was fast in his day. Be sure of what you post before you post it. Your inaccuracies make you look uniformed an even stupid amongst those who are enjoying the topic and are informed. Your comments have no value or place in this discussion. Move on please.....Lastly because you are uniformed, as observed by all of us, apparently you haven't heard that Giant is now Weis!

Guest I was there

Not true, people wonder all the time about athletes from the past running on modern tracks. There is a difference. What would Thomas have run on cinders? Slower than he ran on a modern all weather track. It makes for an interesting discussion- no one is attacking anyone personally by arguing for or against Raboy or Thomas. Just offering scenarios. The truth is, we will never really know. What we do know is that Raboy ran 9.7 for 100 yds which converts to 10.4 for 100 meters. That's the accepted conversion for the differences. That also converts to 10.64 FAT- adding .24 is the accepted conversion for HT to FAT.

Thinking....a well prepared cinder track was very fast as they were hard packed. Additionally, the spikes used were totally different. The running spikes were easily a 1/2 inch long and dug deep into the hard pack surface. Todays kids have to use short needle spikes or short pyramid spikes. They are of not much value. Thats all that Newark Valley, for example, will allow use of so to preserve their new track surface. Also back in Raboy's day they did run at McArthur which was a blacktop surface and was fast (with spikes too). Lastly, Binghamton University had an all weathertrack surface. This was used for sectional champonships amongst other events. So it was not exclusive use of cinder tracks. These facts may equalize things a bit.

Guest how real

Thinking....a well prepared cinder track was very fast as they were hard packed. Additionally, the spikes used were totally different. The running spikes were easily a 1/2 inch long and dug deep into the hard pack surface. Todays kids have to use short needle spikes or short pyramid spikes. They are of not much value. Thats all that Newark Valley, for example, will allow use of so to preserve their new track surface. Also back in Raboy's day they did run at McArthur which was a blacktop surface and was fast (with spikes too). Lastly, Binghamton University had an all weathertrack surface. This was used for sectional champonships amongst other events. So it was not exclusive use of cinder tracks. These facts may equalize things a bit.

O good cinder track was fast, but not like the new tracks. MacArthur was fast for the time, but would be a joke now- and yes, we did wear spikes on it. The bottom line is- new tracks are faster- maybe only .1-.2 for the 100. It's impossible to determine but fun to discuss (NOT argue)- who the fastest ever is. A case could be made for Brady from Binghamton- Central or North- I don't remember. He was more of a 200 guy.

Guest Guest

Wow. you young whipper snappers, haven't seen much. I've been around since the mid 1970s and just retired last year. Yes, Jordan Thomas was very fast and so was Chrystie, but Raboy from M-E was the fastest, no question. Track, spikes, FAT, etc. all things equal.....yes Adley Raboy was the fastest. Absoutley, Section IV champ & NYS Champion in the 60 (indoor) and 100 yard (outdoor) both in 1978 and 1979...look it up. He is the fastest we'ver ever had. He was the best in NYS and that we've ever had from Section IV. I was there. 6.27 in the 60 yarder. 9.7 in the 100 yard dash (FAT for 100 meter 10.55). Raboy wins.

Guest Been There

Wow. you young whipper snappers, haven't seen much. I've been around since the mid 1970s and just retired last year. Yes, Jordan Thomas was very fast and so was Chrystie, but Raboy from M-E was the fastest, no question. Track, spikes, FAT, etc. all things equal.....yes Adley Raboy was the fastest. Absoutley, Section IV champ & NYS Champion in the 60 (indoor) and 100 yard (outdoor) both in 1978 and 1979...look it up. He is the fastest we'ver ever had. He was the best in NYS and that we've ever had from Section IV. I was there. 6.27 in the 60 yarder. 9.7 in the 100 yard dash (FAT for 100 meter 10.55). Raboy wins.

You're correct EXCEPT- Raboy graduated in 1976. His 60 yd dash was 6.1 which converts to 6.34 FAT. His 100 yds was 9.7 HT

Guest I was there

O good cinder track was fast, but not like the new tracks. MacArthur was fast for the time, but would be a joke now- and yes, we did wear spikes on it. The bottom line is- new tracks are faster- maybe only .1-.2 for the 100. It's impossible to determine but fun to discuss (NOT argue)- who the fastest ever is. A case could be made for Brady from Binghamton- Central or North- I don't remember. He was more of a 200 guy.

The states for Raboy in '76 at Morrisville was also run on an all weather track. So they weren't scarce just not the norm. Brady was fast....the best I thought in the 220 yard was Nate (or was it Kevin) Boyer from North. Holy cow that guy could run a corner like no other. He was in the high 21 second range for the race. Alway took the time to watch him inbetween events when I competed. He graduated in either '75 or '76.

Guest how real

The states for Raboy in '76 at Morrisville was also run on an all weather track. So they weren't scarce just not the norm. Brady was fast....the best I thought in the 220 yard was Nate (or was it Kevin) Boyer from North. Holy cow that guy could run a corner like no other. He was in the high 21 second range for the race. Alway took the time to watch him inbetween events when I competed. He graduated in either '75 or '76.

Yes Brady- sorry- I was wrong. All weather tracks back then weren't as fast as they are now- just better technology. Those guys WERE fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Jarvis shields was running 10.7's on a cinder track at u-e high school. If he had had the track they have now, he would of easily ran 10.3 10.4. Hey guys don't forget he was a sophomore in high school when we was putting up these numbers. Jarvis was the fastest ever in section 4 hands down. No! disrespect to the others but c'mon sophomore in high school running that fast on cinder. WoW! I was there

Jarvis shields was running 10.7's on a cinder track at u-e high school. If he had had the track they have now, he would of easily ran 10.3 10.4. Hey guys don't forget he was a sophomore in high school when we was putting up these numbers. Jarvis was the fastest ever in section 4 hands down. No! disrespect to the others but c'mon sophomore in high school running that fast on cinder. WoW! I was there

Hey Guys! The thing about it. Jarvis was not even pushed when he ran his first 10.67 time, which they rounded it off to 10.7. The next fastest at the time was a kid name austin flowers who ran 10.9 from ithaca and shields had a bad start and still caught flowers from behind and won the race running 10.7 WoW! these are facts guys.

Yes Brady- sorry- I was wrong. All weather tracks back then weren't as fast as they are now- just better technology. Those guys WERE fast.

The only one in your six listed that factually are in the top 5 is Jordan Thomas. The others have been passed by several.

In his prime and on a decent track, Adley Raboy from ME would beat Shields and Jordan Thomas. Even Nate Kofira from ME and Jason Morris from Norwich beat Shields a couple times in the 100 and Sean Van Gorder from ME was faster than Shields till about the 40 meter mark. I'd say Jordan Thomas was a bit faster than Shields in the 100, but not by much. Kofira and Morris were just as fast as Shields, any of them could win on any given day, etc. Stephens from ME had wheels too and he was just a couple steps behind Thomas. The Norris kids from UE were fast, but never saw them in a sprint. Don't know Christie? Wasn't there some kid from Binghamton high school that was real fast around 1996-97....

Sorry Sir Shields had never lost a race in his whole 4 years on varsity Track. I don't know where you are getting your information from but its all wrong.

In his prime and on a decent track, Adley Raboy from ME would beat Shields and Jordan Thomas. Even Nate Kofira from ME and Jason Morris from Norwich beat Shields a couple times in the 100 and Sean Van Gorder from ME was faster than Shields till about the 40 meter mark. I'd say Jordan Thomas was a bit faster than Shields in the 100, but not by much. Kofira and Morris were just as fast as Shields, any of them could win on any given day, etc. Stephens from ME had wheels too and he was just a couple steps behind Thomas. The Norris kids from UE were fast, but never saw them in a sprint. Don't know Christie? Wasn't there some kid from Binghamton high school that was real fast around 1996-97....

Sorry Sir Shields had never lost a race in his whole 4 years on varsity Track. I don't know where you are getting your information from but its all wrong.

Guest Guest

He was a 4 time state champ? In each distance he ran? Really?

Didn't know that. Thanks for enlightening us.

Guest Guest

I was on the UE track team with Jarvis Shields for 2 years, and yes he did lose races. However Nate Kofira was not one of the people to do it, neither was Morris from Norwich but Morris did push him quite hard. Jarvis did lose to Austin Flowers 3 times in his sophmore year each time in the 200 and the third time Austin Flowers was beating him soundly and Jarvis cramped up so bad it took almost a full day before it unseized totally. He actually had to go the the hospital for fluids and relaxants if memory serves correctly. Miller never ran him in the 200 again that year just to play it safe. Rob Middle brooks from Binghamton also beat Shields in a 200 when he was a a freshman as well. Shields was a great runner but far from unbeaten.

That being said Jarvis was not faster than Jordan Thomas, cinder track or not. Jarvis did run on some good all-weather tracks (Ithaca to be specific, not the garbage asphalt stuff at Vestal or Binghamton). Jordan was a bigger stronger runner than Jarvis, but as a running back I'd have taken Jarvis anytime. Far more lateral speed and elusive moves than Thomas ever showed me.

Please stop stating facts that are foolish and untrue because it actually taints the truly great runner that Jarvis was

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest4

Mike Chrystie was fastest I ever saw. He did it in football (rushed for over 3,000 then translated that speed to the track arena.

Saw his 10.4 at Ithaca HS at the State Qualifier. Then a week later he confirmed that time by running 10.75, 10.69 and 10.65 to win the Federation 100m title at Uniondale, Long Island. I did not see that but heard he was quite the talk of all the track people of that era. And he had no home track to practice on. That must have sucked doing your training 13 miles away.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hersi29

Is a 11.3 fast in the 100? Yes, it is very good and very fast, but not elite speed. Elite speed is 10.7 or lower for a HS kid. We have had just a handful (make that 4 - Raboy, Coleman, Thomas and Christie) of elite 100 meter sprinters, and after them, quite a few very fast kids running 10.9 - 11.4 or so over the past 35 years. To the bozo just referencing the last 10 years and his love for Christie, there were kids that were fast before 2001. Adley Raboy (70s) ran a 10.7 in the 100 yards, which is a longer distance than the 100 meters, and if you extrapolate his time from yards to meters, he would have run a 10.45 in the 100 meters. I'd put my money on Raboy everytime, as the best 100 guy ever from the area.

Guest hersi29

I ran against Raboy, and he was a fierce competitor. He was a 9.6 or so 100 yard man, and gt better at Cornell-10.4 something. Went to med school and is an MD now.

Archived