Small Claims Court

Guest Benni Booboo

Guest Benni Booboo

I may be forced to go this route. Anything special I need to know? Do you know of a good online website that explains the process?

Guest Benni Booboo

It was funny and something I would have done. I would like to think I won't have to go, but that is only if the person steps up and does the right thing. Anyone know how much time between when you file and when the court appearance is?

Guest Guest
It was funny and something I would have done. I would like to think I won't have to go, but that is only if the person steps up and does the right thing. Anyone know how much time between when you file and when the court appearance is?

Depends on the courts calendar . I'd guess about 2 to 3 months .

Guest Guest

I guess I must be older then dirt because I just do not understand why people have to have a lawsuit place against other people.

The whole thing does not make sense. Over Stupid CRAP. Yea I watch Judge Judy when I need a good laugh, its totally dumb.

Where has the respect gone in this country ?

Guest Benni Booboo

Don't be so judgemental. A vet was neglectful. I took my year and a half old dog in to be neutered, he came down with an infection, the vet neglected to address the issue and he died. This is pretty serious to me and I feel the vet is to be accountable for her actions, or lack of action. I just want the money for all medical bills and cost of my dog which come to over a thousand dollars. Again, it is about making her accountable for her neglect.

Don't be so judgemental. A vet was neglectful. I took my year and a half old dog in to be neutered, he came down with an infection, the vet neglected to address the issue and he died. This is pretty serious to me and I feel the vet is to be accountable for her actions, or lack of action. I just want the money for all medical bills and cost of my dog which come to over a thousand dollars. Again, it is about making her accountable for her neglect.

That sucks Benni .. Sorry to hear that .......I'd take action too...........

Just curious to what vet? In 2001 I too brought my dog to be spayed. The vet called the next day and said I could pick her up. When I went there my dog couldn’t lift her head up, the vet said that it was from the medication and she would call when I could come get her. Two hours later she called to say she had died. I was devastated , not having children she was like my baby. I took her for an autopsy at an animal hospital. The vet only put one stitch in her ovarian stump and it took her 17.5 hours to bleed to death. This was probably very painful. She was a very large St. Bernard when the vet and her husband carried her out of the clinic they didn’t have a box big enough to put her in so they had to carry her by her 4 paws, a family with 2 small children were walking in. They went to throw Minni on the back of the truck and didn’t aim high enough and her head bounced off the tailgate and she flew back and landed in the parking lot. I was sobbing these poor children had to witness this…

When I found out what happened I filed a claim at small claims.

1. For the cost of my dog

2. For the cost of medical treatment

3. For the autopsy

4. For pain and suffering

I also filed a complaint with the office of professional discipline in NYS. There were so many complaints this vet lost her license to practice for two years. It wasn’t only my complaint.

The judge used the same vet. He should have excused himself, but he didn’t. He heard both sides of our case. Said he needed time to think about it. 3 weeks later I received a letter in the mail stating that she didn’t intentionally hurt my animal and therefore wasn’t responsible. The court ruled in her favor. I wonder if she is still practicing? I know the practice stayed open and her husband ran it during her suspension. Just wondering?

Guest Guest

a pet is considered personal property and maybe, if you are luck, you may get $100.00 give it up.

Guest Guest

Lawsuit - Lawsuit - Lawsuit

That's all the people of this country think about. How can I get some money ??? GREEDY !!!!

Your Born - Your Live - YOU DIE ! ! !

Everything is like this, so suck it in, be an adult and realize nothing lasts forever.

What a self rightious DELETED

That's all the people of this country think about. How can I get some money ??? GREEDY !!!!

Everything is like this, so suck it in, be an adult and realize nothing lasts forever.

Troll

I loved my dog she was NEGLEGENT!!! DELETED. Pets are worth nothing in NYS law its sad.

Guest ASICIT

Some helpful info regarding small claims court. You can file in one of the following Town, Village or City Courts. The court where you reside, the court where the person lives or the court where they work or their business is in. From file date to court date is about 2-3 months. This is where it gets confusing. On your court date the judge can either rule at that time or reserve decision. Most reserve decision because they don't want to deal with the losing party so they would rather do it by mail. You will get the decision in about 30 days. Now the hard part....collecting. If you win you contact the party and advise them of the payment due. If they fail to pay you need to go back to the court and ask the judge for a garnishment of wages if they work or a seizure of property if they have a car, boat etc.... This is a pain because you need to find this all out yourself. At the time of your trial you can ask the judge to find all of this out just in case you need it in the future. It's a very long process but for the most part it works. Just went to small claims regarding a woman that hit my car and had no insurance. Luckily I got a new estimate the day before trial because it had gone up $100.00. If I didn't I would have had to cough up the extra money for something that I shouldn't have to pay a penny for. Good luck

@

Sorry to both of you. It makes me sad to hear stories like that. Hope you are sucessful in holding the vet accountable for her neglect, Benni. Is it allowed to tell us the name of the vet? Hate to think of other unsuspecting pet lovers taking theirs to her. Wonder what it would take to get her license suspended permanently.

Guest Guest
Just curious to what vet? In 2001 I too brought my dog to be spayed. The vet called the next day and said I could pick her up. When I went there my dog couldn’t lift her head up, the vet said that it was from the medication and she would call when I could come get her. Two hours later she called to say she had died. I was devastated , not having children she was like my baby. I took her for an autopsy at an animal hospital. The vet only put one stitch in her ovarian stump and it took her 17.5 hours to bleed to death. This was probably very painful. She was a very large St. Bernard when the vet and her husband carried her out of the clinic they didn’t have a box big enough to put her in so they had to carry her by her 4 paws, a family with 2 small children were walking in. They went to throw Minni on the back of the truck and didn’t aim high enough and her head bounced off the tailgate and she flew back and landed in the parking lot. I was sobbing these poor children had to witness this…

When I found out what happened I filed a claim at small claims.

1. For the cost of my dog

2. For the cost of medical treatment

3. For the autopsy

4. For pain and suffering

I also filed a complaint with the office of professional discipline in NYS. There were so many complaints this vet lost her license to practice for two years. It wasn’t only my complaint.

The judge used the same vet. He should have excused himself, but he didn’t. He heard both sides of our case. Said he needed time to think about it. 3 weeks later I received a letter in the mail stating that she didn’t intentionally hurt my animal and therefore wasn’t responsible. The court ruled in her favor. I wonder if she is still practicing? I know the practice stayed open and her husband ran it during her suspension. Just wondering?

maybe you'll think twice before you try to play God and go around sterilizing

I may be forced to go this route. Anything special I need to know? Do you know of a good online website that explains the process?

I took someone to small claims court before. . I paid 30.00 dollares to do it in Endicott. Call the courts and they will tell you everything you need to do. You do need to prove your case. Good luck

Guest Guest
maybe you'll think twice before you try to play God and go around sterilizing

WTF!! She was doing the right thing and being a responsible pet owner. Pet owners should get their pets spayed or neutered.

Guest Guest-jusdagurl-*
My vet was Dr. Bejermen Spelling could be off. I think her practice is in Bainbridge

Sorry I looked it up and it was Dr. Benson... :(

@

Archived