Teachers Snow Days Off ?

Guest guest

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

So why a cap on teacher salaries. Where do you want your cap to be. In other words, in todays money, what should a 35 year teacher be making.

If you are going to retire, how much do you think you need to save and what age do you think teachers should retire at.

How much of a teacher's salary should go to pay for their benefits.

So, once again, given the destruction of NCLB, how do you propose we determine meritorious teachers to a degree that effect their pay and whether they keep their job.

Guest Guest

So why a cap on teacher salaries. Where do you want your cap to be. In other words, in todays money, what should a 35 year teacher be making.

If you are going to retire, how much do you think you need to save and what age do you think teachers should retire at.

How much of a teacher's salary should go to pay for their benefits.

So, once again, given the destruction of NCLB, how do you propose we determine meritorious teachers to a degree that effect their pay and whether they keep their job.

So why a cap on teacher salaries. Where do you want your cap to be. In other words, in todays money, what should a 35 year teacher be making. Why a cap? Because a salary of 80k+ is unreasonable, for a teacher or an administrator, regardless of how long you have been teaching. I think of cap of 70-75k is reasonable.

If you are going to retire, how much do you think you need to save and what age do you think teachers should retire at. I think the amount needed to be saved should be determined by each teacher, based on what kind of lifestyle they want to have after they retire - if you want to travel the world, you're going to need more than a teacher who wants to stay home. I think the retirement age should be 55-60.

How much of a teacher's salary should go to pay for their benefits. 25-30% of weekly gross pay.

So, once again, given the destruction of NCLB, how do you propose we determine meritorious teachers to a degree that effect their pay and whether they keep their job.I think we should implement the ideas listed in the above post that were supposed to be implemented before NCLB and evaluate the teachers based on how well the students learned the skills they need to function in the world. Keep state testing, at a reduced level, as I also suggested before (subject exams in 4th and 8th grades).

Guest Guest

I'm not Dragon fan but I think there should be a cap on teachers pay also. The teachers starting pay is just that pay for a inexperienced teacher. Once a teacher has a few years experience that should be their pay plus cost of living raises. The only other pay increases should be by merit.There isn't a reason to pay all that much more than starting salary plus the extra for the experience say 1/3 more than starting.With retirement funds the employer should contribute a set amount to the fund and the employee should have a say in where the money goes but should the fund lose then the employee should be in on making it up or taking a cut in retirement amount.Same with health care keep the amount the districts pay in at present and if there is a increase then the employee should be charged a set percentage of the increase. To make it fair have the employee be paid almost 100% and the cost of the additional people on the plan being an extra charge.

Guest Guest

If the tax cap for NYS passes I think that you'll find all these problems will be worked out in the future.As of now at the state level they are no longer willing to pay the most in the US and be anything less than #1 in results if they are number 1 in costs.The local population can't afford anymore,at least in this area,regardless.The school systems have to balance the budget every year so with less from the state and only a possible 2 or 3% increase from property tax they will be forced to reign in contract costs. Working teachers won't want to put up with ones that don't do the work required either so rules will be changed in that regard also.Schools and their staffs will finally have to work in the same requirements as industry has.Believe me even union members will look at things a little differently when it comes down to "would you like to keep that clause that says you get 65% of you last years pay in retirement benefits or keep your job"? The state will also look at the laws they've made that cause localities to pay such huge fees.It will take time but if things stay the same economically this will happen sooner than later.

Guest Guest

Yeah, being F-ED over by management?

Guess that could happen as the teachers union loses more and more power over the politicians like they have been.

Guest Guest

Interesting post. Since you are still paying back loans, you must not have been teaching long.

How is paying all of your own retirement and medical an motivation to teach.

Is the fear of being fired the only thing that motivates you.

You think there should be a cap on teacher pay and you think they should pay their own retirement. May sound good now but wait another 20 years.

People talk about greedy unions. Exactly what do you mean, specifically? People are fired up about teachers not accepting salary freezes. For how long, one year, two or more. Would you allow them to make up the difference when things get better. What about people looking to retire, you might want to encourage them. Their retirement is based on the average of their last three years. Average pay, medical insurance and retirement is now greed. It used to be the American dream.

The main point is the idea of merit advancement/pay. Based on what? Do you really think test scores represent the totality of teacher effectiveness? If so, teacher made tests or standardized tests. In every subject, art, music. PE for every grade in every subject. If you do have a national or state test then you have then established a state or national curriculum. Do you want to give up local control in every subject. So in Sixth grade English every teacher would teach the same books. How about the costs of making and scoring all of those tests. The state is cutting back on its testing as it is.What's to stop the administration from letting you go after 25 years just to save money, I am sure that doesn't happen in private industry but it could. Is one of the criteria how much the principal likes you? You acknowledged the diversity of children and parents, I am sure that you have seen that the same teacher but a different year gets different results. What about those nasty snow days you hate, does a year like this one have an effect. How about class size figure in? New kids to the district? Sickness? How about materials? Do you get whatever you think you need to prepare the children or do you have to make do with what they give you.

The loss of tenure and merit advancement is going to create more problems than it can hope to solve.

The teachers union has based all their demands on old industry standards. They took the best parts and added an extra percentage to them and took none of the negatives. They modeled this after industry in the 70's and then resisted all change when the standards did. One thing they never did was used the standards for work or responsibility from industry and their salary system was made up from someone's dream standards. Teachers and their union always have reasons why they fail but no idea how to change that failure into success except for added manpower and extra money.

Guest Guest

This is why people get so angry....an aquaintance of mine just texted me that she had to take a "mental health day" today...I guess the weekend was just not long enough...sorry for the rest of you working stiffs that do not have this luxury....thanks again for our children having one less day of being taught and the cost of a sub....

Guest Guest
This is why people get so angry....an aquaintance of mine just texted me that she had to take a "mental health day" today...

Yeah, boo freaking hoo.

Guest Guest

This is why people get so angry....an aquaintance of mine just texted me that she had to take a "mental health day" today...I guess the weekend was just not long enough...sorry for the rest of you working stiffs that do not have this luxury....thanks again for our children having one less day of being taught and the cost of a sub....

Newsflash...professional people other than teachers get sick and personal days too. I'm sick of all the teacher bashing by people who actually believe that teachers in our area are excessively paid and have outrageous benefits. This board is not representive of the majority view, as witnessed by many recent polls. Move on and do something productive with your lives, which by the way, is the most rewarding benefit that teachers have.

Guest Guest

Newsflash...professional people other than teachers get sick and personal days too. I'm sick of all the teacher bashing by people who actually believe that teachers in our area are excessively paid and have outrageous benefits. This board is not representive of the majority view, as witnessed by many recent polls. Move on and do something productive with your lives, which by the way, is the most rewarding benefit that teachers have.

Really, why don't you list some of the professionals other than teachers and how many sick and personal days they get?

Guest Guest

Yeah, but profesionals don't get every single "observed" holiday under the sun off, nor snow days (those weren't enough for this person - she still has to take a mental health day????) or the entire summer off....just saying.

Guest Guest

Really, why don't you list some of the professionals other than teachers and how many sick and personal days they get?

You're kidding me, right? You honestly think no one gets better benefits than teachers? Okay,...any clue what Lockheed employees get timewise, or in benefits? I know a few...great $$ benefits, nice vacation and sick deal, many employees work from home a day or two a week, package deals on cars, travel etc. Who cares? I'm all for everyone getting the best job they can and performing at their optimum. If they make more money than some, or better benefits...good for them!

Another? Take a look at the benefits that school superintendents(and some administrators) get...car of their own, personal phone/computer, great vacation time, unlimited personal time, relocation pay often with the district paying for temporary housing for months/years, etc...and who's complaining about their packages?

Btw, salary wise, most teachers in this area have to work 30 years to hit 70,000. Big deal. I know plenty of young people right out of school with a BS getting very close to that.

Again, why the outrage? We all get to choose what we do...if you're not happy with your choice, quit complaining and do something about it!

Guest Guest

You're kidding me, right? You honestly think no one gets better benefits than teachers? Okay,...any clue what Lockheed employees get timewise, or in benefits? I know a few...great $$ benefits, nice vacation and sick deal, many employees work from home a day or two a week, package deals on cars, travel etc. Who cares? I'm all for everyone getting the best job they can and performing at their optimum. If they make more money than some, or better benefits...good for them!

Another? Take a look at the benefits that school superintendents(and some administrators) get...car of their own, personal phone/computer, great vacation time, unlimited personal time, relocation pay often with the district paying for temporary housing for months/years, etc...and who's complaining about their packages?

Btw, salary wise, most teachers in this area have to work 30 years to hit 70,000. Big deal. I know plenty of young people right out of school with a BS getting very close to that.

Again, why the outrage? We all get to choose what we do...if you're not happy with your choice, quit complaining and do something about it!

Many Lockheed workers also are putting in EXTENSIVE hours, burning the mignight oil as well as many many weekends when duty calls. Teachers work 7 (if that) and skate, never have to work a night or weekend. And spare me the "lesson plans, grading papers and they have to buy their own supplies BS", no way they put in the hours many Lockheed employees are and nor do they get the piddly holidays, snow days and of course summers off either. And it's not like Lockheed employees are barely putting in 35-40hrs/week, playing golf in the afternoons and hitting happy hour at 4:00. Lockheed employees at least EARN their due pay and ben's.

Guest Guest

Many Lockheed workers also are putting in EXTENSIVE hours, burning the mignight oil as well as many many weekends when duty calls. Teachers work 7 (if that) and skate, never have to work a night or weekend. And spare me the "lesson plans, grading papers and they have to buy their own supplies BS", no way they put in the hours many Lockheed employees are and nor do they get the piddly holidays, snow days and of course summers off either. And it's not like Lockheed employees are barely putting in 35-40hrs/week, playing golf in the afternoons and hitting happy hour at 4:00. Lockheed employees at least EARN their due pay and ben's.

LOL you sound like a wah wah teacher! The point being, there are employees in any organization who will excell and go above and beyond. Likewise, there are those who do the bare minimum and "skate"...both teachers and Lockheed employees. All employees(and yes, I've seen the work that some of the at home Lockheed employees do, lol). It just so happens that teachers are under scrutiny now, mainly due to the politicians,and the real wealthy, who have effectively used them as a diversion from our real ecomomic woes.

Again, engineers, lawyers, doctors, teachers...we all get the choice, and we all earn our due pay and benefits.

Guest Guest

No one that works for a living gets better benefits than teachers. Even the people in industry in the 70's didn't get the retirement that the teachers have today and they had to work the 30 years not just part of them. The comparison with Lockheed was poor at best. Wasn't that the company that just months ago laid off over 600 people because they lost a contract? Maybe after the next few years the teaching profession will be more comparable. Now comparing teachers benefits with anyone is tough because no one gets a retirement of the sort they have and never did.You can't compare a teacher to someone that has to work a minimum of 40 hours a week and sometime much more and the hours don't always come between 7-4 and M-F. Most of us are happy with what we do, We aren't happy paying for what you do and we are doing something about it.

Guest Guest

"No one that works for a living gets better benefits than teachers."

-This statement can not be proved or disproved, it is just nonsense. All teachers don't get the same benefits. I would love the site that lists the benefits of all workers.

- Are you saying that there were never defined benefit pension plans other than teachers. Right.

"We aren't happy paying for what you do and we are doing something about it."

-This is the key, you are a cheap SOB and don't want to pay your share.

-Well I am sick and tired of paying your salary. And I know you don't work hard and waste time and do a crappy job.

Guest Guest

"No one that works for a living gets better benefits than teachers."

-This statement can not be proved or disproved, it is just nonsense. All teachers don't get the same benefits. I would love the site that lists the benefits of all workers.

- Are you saying that there were never defined benefit pension plans other than teachers. Right.

"We aren't happy paying for what you do and we are doing something about it."

-Well I am sick and tired of paying your salary. And I know you don't work hard and waste time and do a crappy job.

You will be paid according to what taxpayers can afford. How's that for a change? Your unions will be banned because you extort from the public domain.

Guest Guest

This is priceless - we are cheap?????? If you wouldn't be so cheap and pay your fair share of benefits and retirements like the rest of us have to - we would not even be in this ridiculous situation!!! Pot calling the kettle black - don't you think??? Or is it that you feel you are entitled, above the rest, you have your masters....need I continue??

Guest Guest

This is priceless - we are cheap?????? If you wouldn't be so cheap and pay your fair share of benefits and retirements like the rest of us have to - we would not even be in this ridiculous situation!!! Pot calling the kettle black - don't you think??? Or is it that you feel you are entitled, above the rest, you have your

masters....need I continue??

Do you have your 'Masters'? Didn't think so..

Archived