Teachers Snow Days Off ?

Guest guest

Guest Guest

"No one that works for a living gets better benefits than teachers."

-This statement can not be proved or disproved, it is just nonsense. All teachers don't get the same benefits. I would love the site that lists the benefits of all workers.

- Are you saying that there were never defined benefit pension plans other than teachers. Right.

"We aren't happy paying for what you do and we are doing something about it."

-This is the key, you are a cheap SOB and don't want to pay your share.

-Well I am sick and tired of paying your salary. And I know you don't work hard and waste time and do a crappy job.

I thought you would know I wasn't talking about teachers in Iowa. Here, teachers in NYS. They have the best benefits. Their retirement can't be matched and was copied off older industry defined benefit plans. The only thing is in industry they only approached a 40 to 45% payout and you had to work all year every year to get them, teachers work 2/3 of a year in a part time job. So I feel I have proved my point because I could not find one other plan now or in the past that someone other than a teacher received that approached 50% much less above 60. So I think I'm safe in saying that no one has a better plan than our teachers do. Well unless you talk about congress etc. We (I) may be cheap SOB's but I'd rather put myself in the category of someone that feels taken as a consumer. I'm paying for a top of the line product and getting something that is valued at less than half of what I was forced to pay for.

If you know I don't work hard and that I do a crapy job all you have to do is NOT buy the product that I sell and I'll soon be out of a job. You see there is no law,no rule, no mandate that you have to buy mine. You know if there was I could cut my hours to 30 a week for a total of less than 180 days too and still retire with over 65% of my pay.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest with hope

Really 1000 posts on this BS.

You are just idiots so get rid of all the teachers and everyone will be as stupid as you people.

Guest Guest

Newsflash...professional people other than teachers get sick and personal days too. I'm sick of all the teacher bashing by people who actually believe that teachers in our area are excessively paid and have outrageous benefits. This board is not representive of the majority view, as witnessed by many recent polls. Move on and do something productive with your lives, which by the way, is the most rewarding benefit that teachers have.

News flash, most professionals are held to a higher standard than teachers in their work ethic. Very few of then have the same type or amount of benefits as teachers. Very,Very few of them have the same hours or work weeks and even fewer work less than a yearly schedule. All have a pay for performance remuneration.

Guest Guest

News flash, most professionals are held to a higher standard than teachers in their work ethic. Very few of then have the same type or amount of benefits as teachers. Very,Very few of them have the same hours or work weeks and even fewer work less than a yearly schedule. All have a pay for performance remuneration.

And you prove the point from the post above!

Guest Guest

And you know this because you are a teacher? Or do you just like making things up.

Guest Guest

And you know this because you are a teacher? Or do you just like making things up.

Which portion do you believe I'm making up? Can you name another profession that has the same or better benefits? How about one with lower professional standards? Maybe you can name one where poor performance doesn't have a direct effect on their pay? Have you thought of one that has less than a 40 hour work week? A shorter than 180 day work year?

Guest Guest

Which portion do you believe I'm making up? Can you name another profession that has the same or better benefits? How about one with lower professional standards? Maybe you can name one where poor performance doesn't have a direct effect on their pay? Have you thought of one that has less than a 40 hour work week? A shorter than 180 day work year?

you reek of jealousy

Guest Guest

A US senator or congressman.

Guest Guest

You should have made better life choices. Nobody to blame but yourself.

Yes,I suppose you're right. It's tough to make a proper decision on a career on all of what can happen 30 years in the future though. Looking back on my decisions I guess that instead of taking the tougher technical courses I could of just gone and taken courses with an educational slant in mind. Heck,I could of gone one step further and just have taken a primary based teachers degree. The pay would of been the same in the end. Sure I would of earned much less money over the course of my career but there would of been no long hours,no travel that took me away from my family for weeks at a time.There would of been no canceled vacations because of work demand changes,no being called into work at odd hours because of production problems and the only time I would of had to work weekends would be if I coached a team and I would of been paid for that. I know that my wife and kids would of liked to have me home every night instead of arriving home just before they were going to bed. Yes,it turns out I really screwed up. If I had of just gone into teaching I could of saved myself a whole bunch of work and trauma for both me and my family. Now to get 65% of my pay in retirement I'll have to have an annuity set up that will pay me a 6% payout at 30 years.That will mean I'll have to have about 1.5 million in it which means I'll have to save or have investments that total about 50,000 dollars a year over the 30 years I work.Of course if I had worked 30 years as a teacher I probably wouldn't get 80 grand in retirement and instead only in the mid 50's but the health care would almost make up for the difference plus working half the time for it. Yes I screwed up instead of figuring out that the harder you worked the more you get I should of known that you could take the path of teaching an worked less and received basically the same thing. BUT I didn't know because that isn't the way I was taught I blame my parents.

Guest Guest

Yes,I suppose you're right. It's tough to make a proper decision on a career on all of what can happen 30 years in the future though. Looking back on my decisions I guess that instead of taking the tougher technical courses I could of just gone and taken courses with an educational slant in mind. Heck,I could of gone one step further and just have taken a primary based teachers degree. The pay would of been the same in the end. Sure I would of earned much less money over the course of my career but there would of been no long hours,no travel that took me away from my family for weeks at a time.There would of been no canceled vacations because of work demand changes,no being called into work at odd hours because of production problems and the only time I would of had to work weekends would be if I coached a team and I would of been paid for that. I know that my wife and kids would of liked to have me home every night instead of arriving home just before they were going to bed. Yes,it turns out I really screwed up. If I had of just gone into teaching I could of saved myself a whole bunch of work and trauma for both me and my family. Now to get 65% of my pay in retirement I'll have to have an annuity set up that will pay me a 6% payout at 30 years.That will mean I'll have to have about 1.5 million in it which means I'll have to save or have investments that total about 50,000 dollars a year over the 30 years I work.Of course if I had worked 30 years as a teacher I probably wouldn't get 80 grand in retirement and instead only in the mid 50's but the health care would almost make up for the difference plus working half the time for it. Yes I screwed up instead of figuring out that the harder you worked the more you get I should of known that you could take the path of teaching an worked less and received basically the same thing. BUT I didn't know because that isn't the way I was taught I blame my parents.

Why do people on here always think if "guestguest" says "you are jealous" or "you did not make good choices" that "guestguest" is a teacher, not a troll? Half this thread is littered by trolls pulling your chain.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

I am a very jealous individual who works all year long as most of the working class does. Am I the only one who would like to see our educators work all year long ?

Guest Guest

I particularly like these fabulous, caring educators who are always putting our children first - take the day off to protest and then post it on facebook!!! Ahhh the life of a teacher...

Although I know many are very upset because their excessive snowdays have now cut into their spring break vacations....boooohhooooo!!!!

Guest Guest

No one is jealous. We can't afford it anymore. Teachers and school administrators live in a fantasy world. They attend high school, then college, then work in a school. They do not understand how the world functions outside of school. The country is broke, the state is bankrupt, and local taxpayers can no longer pay for teachers and administrators luxury benefits. Wake up and smell the coffee for the love of pete...oh, I forgot that it's a snow day so go back to sleep, don't smell the coffee, and everyone else will go to work to support you.

Guest Guest

52 pages of complaining about teachers. You really need to find something new to complain about. You have succeeded in doing one thing though, you have driven any young adult away from becoming a teacher. Why in the world would anyone want to teach in this climate? Well done! Now go back to your trailor park, open up a beer, hit your wife, and get ready to go to work at Walmart.

Guest Guest

52 pages of complaining about teachers. You really need to find something new to complain about. You have succeeded in doing one thing though, you have driven any young adult away from becoming a teacher. Why in the world would anyone want to teach in this climate? Well done! Now go back to your trailor park, open up a beer, hit your wife, and get ready to go to work at Walmart.

do you mean the "climate" that has NYS teachers at the top of the compensation chain and are 34th in the country in results???? that's a tough "climate".

Guest Guest

You really don't have to keep track of how many pages we have it already does it. Don't worry a lot of people would teach even if they were paid much less for it.

Guest Guest

You really don't have to keep track of how many pages we have it already does it. Don't worry a lot of people would teach even if they were paid much less for it.

You took a poll? Or are you talking out of your ass as usual.

Archived