Teachers Snow Days Off ?

Guest guest

Ok you've got me I have no idea how teaching reading to a grade school student is so difficult that it takes an "advanced skill set". It seems that they have been teaching this skill in schools for centuries. What I was talking about with what you are calling a skill set is how difficult the degree of subject matter is. You usually can find these just by checking to see where the teacher shortage is. As I said in the post you were answering "The only real skill a teacher needs is the ability to get the material across to their class in an understandable and palatable way”. That I suppose is what makes a good teacher stand apart from a normal one." The tools a teacher is suppose to have when hired is the education on the subject matter. The skill is being able to get this across to the students. A good teacher can do this in a way that all the students can understand it and they are smart enough to see when they don't. An excellent teacher can do both plus make the student like learning it. I think I only had what I would call excellent teachers 2 times in HS and possibly 3 times in college. Now what a teacher does IS regurgitate what they have learned in public school and then again in college. Over and over again and again year after year. Most things don't change or change very little. What is the problem is that education is becoming very expensive in NYS, far more quickly than other areas. Blending with that is the states progress is going downward in its effectiveness and results. Maybe all the changes we have made in the last 60 years to the teaching system just were incorrect?

Definitely fair points. I think you're absolutely correct in your underlying premise - education is expensive and are we just paying for teachers to regurgitate info? That's a good question. I also agree that I probably had 2-4 EXCELLENT teachers in school. Worse in college, for sure. College profs are there to research most of the time, not teach. In fact, the worst teachers, but smartest teachers, I ever had were in college. Brilliant people, but incredibly bad teachers. But anyway...

I disagree on one main point: the subject matter is usually NOT what makes a teacher great, it's their ability to convey the importance of their material to the student. You could have a PhD in American History who could put notes, after notes, after notes on a blackboard, but I guarantee unless that person has a personality, it's going to be a nightmare. Similar to my college experience. The BEST teachers treat teaching like an art form - they just know how to get across to kids, inspire them, and motivate them. Unfortunately, with test, after test, after test, after test, those teachers leave to enter another profession. I should know.

I'm one of them.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To quote George Carlin, anybody who thinks being a public servant entitles then to a bunch of respect needs to go get me a beer and a sandwich.

We miss George but his wisdom and humor remains . Thanks .

A few days ago I asked the school's top two students if they would ever consider being teachers. I am a very (meaning old) veteran teacher who has loved my career as a teacher. Their answer shocked me: They told me absolutely not. I asked why and one of them wanted to know if I had ever read the BCVoice. I told them I didn't know what it was and they explained to me it was an online forum. I really didn't know what that meant. The student told me to come here and read what the public thinks of teachers and I would understand why they didn't want to go into teaching. So, after coming here and reading people's opinions of teachers, I now understand. This morning, I talked to one of my kids who happens to be a top student in college. I asked him the same question and got the same response. "Dad, everyone hates teachers now days. I would never be a teacher."

I thought I would share this story as it now appears our top students have no aspirations to be teachers. That this negative feeling towards this profession is costing us our top kids and potentially good teachers. I thought people should know this as many of you seem to hate teachers. I honestly thought I was a respected member of society who contributed in a positive way to the future of this country.

It appears that your assumption is that BCVoice is reflective of the community values. I doubt that the majority of Broome county is posting on this forum.

A few days ago I asked the school's top two students if they would ever consider being teachers. I am a very (meaning old) veteran teacher who has loved my career as a teacher. Their answer shocked me: They told me absolutely not. I asked why and one of them wanted to know if I had ever read the BCVoice. I told them I didn't know what it was and they explained to me it was an online forum. I really didn't know what that meant. The student told me to come here and read what the public thinks of teachers and I would understand why they didn't want to go into teaching. So, after coming here and reading people's opinions of teachers, I now understand. This morning, I talked to one of my kids who happens to be a top student in college. I asked him the same question and got the same response. "Dad, everyone hates teachers now days. I would never be a teacher."

I thought I would share this story as it now appears our top students have no aspirations to be teachers. That this negative feeling towards this profession is costing us our top kids and potentially good teachers. I thought people should know this as many of you seem to hate teachers. I honestly thought I was a respected member of society who contributed in a positive way to the future of this country.

Then I guess they aren't meant to be teachers.

Cops are hated and have been forever. That doesn't keep people from answering the call.

It appears that your assumption is that BCVoice is reflective of the community values. I doubt that the majority of Broome county is posting on this forum.

great point...just look at this post - 130 replies (including this one), and almost 3,000 views. i bet many have replied more than once, by reading the exchanges. so about 96% of people are here reading, not posting.

Another freebie on the taxpayers today .

Teachers aren't paid for today.

It's an unpaid day off.

If you asked your boss real nice, you could probably have an unpaid day off too.

Let's have personal chice holidays so taxpayers don't have to pay overtime for those sucking up the money working today . Should be straight time if anybody works today .

Guest teacher

I took a pay cut from my entry level factory job when I got my first taeching position.

Most teachers DO pay for part of their insurance premiums.

How MUCH do teachers make? You think it's too much? What do you think about plumbers,

electricians, nurses, bankers, NYSEG employees, letter carriers and fire fighters?

Maybe you just don't know how much other people make.

Did every teacher you know take his kids to DisneyWorld last year? Other people you

know? Most teachers do not have direct TV or DISH or Time Warner's bizillion

channels. The kids in their classes do. See expensive cars in the teachers' parking

lot? All of the teachers I know are saving money to send their kids to college,

because they know getting a good education is important.

If you don't think you child is being educated well, move to Arkansas. Oh, yeah, they

don't spend much on schools. They don't have to. Every parent who can work two jobs

sends his kid to a private school.

We are fortunate here.

If anyone wants to work in the private sector, go ahead . In this economy taxes should be going down, not up . And what does retirement at 55 and big pensions have to do with education anyway ?

How MUCH do teachers make? You think it's too much? What do you think about plumbers,

electricians, nurses, bankers, NYSEG employees, letter carriers and fire fighters?

That's not the relevant question. The relevant question is how much we're paying for what we're getting. If you compare teacher pay in the United States to teacher pay internationally, even adjusted for cost of living and purchasing power, it's pretty high, yet our outcomes suck. When districts do manage to finally impose some kind of competence testing, they often find out that many members of their faculty are barely literate. Why?

Check your facebook pages...full of teachers hoping and praying for a snow day!! My what dedication! You must all be so proud!

That's not really fair. Just about all normal people enjoy the odd day off here and there. If work was that great, they wouldn't have to pay you to do it.

That's not the relevant question. The relevant question is how much we're paying for what we're getting. If you compare teacher pay in the United States to teacher pay internationally, even adjusted for cost of living and purchasing power, it's pretty high, yet our outcomes suck. When districts do manage to finally impose some kind of competence testing, they often find out that many members of their faculty are barely literate. Why?

Check your facebook pages...full of teachers hoping and praying for a snow day!! My what dedication! You must all be so proud!

That's not really fair. Just about all normal people enjoy the odd day off here and there. If work was that great, they wouldn't have to pay you to do it.

What a douchebag.

I bet all of your teacher/facebook friends would be REALLY proud to be your friend if they knew how you were bashing them.

What does it really matter that they get a day off because of snow? They work a set number of days and the extra day will be added in somewhere.

What does it really matter that they get a day off because of snow? They work a set number of days and the extra day will be added in somewhere.

teachers don't decide on snow days...superintendent's do. bash teachers all you want, not a single teacher had ANY say in today being a snow day. people come on here and make it sound like teacher's have all this decision making power. they have none. unions may, but individual teachers do not.

then go to your school. i'm willing to bet that several teachers will be in today to work. its not like they're driving their caddies to tioga downs for the day.

What a douchebag.

I bet all of your teacher/facebook friends would be REALLY proud to be your friend if they knew how you were bashing them.

They already know how I feel and I have no problems letting them know it on my Facebook either. What are they going to do, "unfriend" me because of my opinion?! OOOOOooo no!! Please not that!!

Archived