Teachers Snow Days Off ?

Guest guest

Lets see a City of Binghamton High School Teacher in the 90th percentile makes $83,584.

So....They work 6 hours a day, 180 days a in a school year...thats ummm.... $83,584.00/(180x6)= $77.39/hr

Not bad! Especially on a snow day!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please remember when comparing NY teachers to other states that you are talking about ALL of NY, including the city and Long Island. I have friends who teach in that area and their salaries are higher because of the cost of living, thus raising the total salaries across the state.

There are schools in our area where the students receive their meals and their health care and their dental exams and all their counseling needs while they are in school. They are providing all the needs for these children, they are parenting them. I know of teachers in many districts that buy clothes, shoes, and Christmas gifts for these students. I know others who tutor students at home for free just to get the students up to par with the others or to help them graduate.

Teachers in NY are required to have a higher education, they are expected to meet a higher standard, but we are complaining that we have to pay them more!???? There are many good arguments here, no doubt, but try to give a little credit to the good teachers that are out there. And remember not all of them beg for snow days.

Renter's actually pay property taxes, indirectly. You don't think that taxes aren't figured into their rent? Probably the only ones not paying their fair share are the people like you who are on welfare.

Well as you said then they would fit into the paying property tax wouldn't they. Now they would only have to show that the worked for the money to pay the rent.

Please remember when comparing NY teachers to other states that you are talking about ALL of NY, including the city and Long Island. I have friends who teach in that area and their salaries are higher because of the cost of living, thus raising the total salaries across the state.

There are schools in our area where the students receive their meals and their health care and their dental exams and all their counseling needs while they are in school. They are providing all the needs for these children, they are parenting them. I know of teachers in many districts that buy clothes, shoes, and Christmas gifts for these students. I know others who tutor students at home for free just to get the students up to par with the others or to help them graduate.

Teachers in NY are required to have a higher education, they are expected to meet a higher standard, but we are complaining that we have to pay them more!???? There are many good arguments here, no doubt, but try to give a little credit to the good teachers that are out there. And remember not all of them beg for snow days.

Yes we are complaining that we are paying them more. I don't believe anyone asked for the higher standard of education. No one voted on it. Please tell me what good the addition of a masters did besides putting a lot of qualified teachers out of contention for a job? Show me how it raised the level of the student education in NYS since it was put into action.

Please remember when comparing NY teachers to other states that you are talking about ALL of NY, including the city and Long Island.

I was not discussing "ALL of NY". New York State teachers are among the highest paid in the entire United States.

Nice try.

Learning from Success: What Americans Can Learn from School Choice in Canada

On average, Canadian

students out-perform their

U.S. counterparts —

indeed, some Canadian

provinces rank with the

top countries in the world

— and recent work has

shown that their strong

performance owes much to

relatively better

achievement among

students from less

advantaged backgrounds.

The combined budget of the Broome County Public schools is nearly a half-billion dollars a year. Imagine what could be removing the real bully, the teachers union from our education system.

Unlike the other provinces, Ontario will put money directly in the hands of parents, an approach that has been praised for keeping parents in the forefront as the buyers of a school’s services rather than making the government part of the purchasing team.

Learning from Success: What Americans Can Learn from School Choice in Canada

On average, Canadian

students out-perform their

U.S. counterparts —

indeed, some Canadian

provinces rank with the

top countries in the world

— and recent work has

shown that their strong

performance owes much to

relatively better

achievement among

students from less

advantaged backgrounds.

Canada does not have an open border . To immigrate there you need to show you have a job waiting for you . You need to show you have the education and knowledge Canada needs before you are accepted into the country . Not every illegal criminal dummy in the world is accepted in to Canada and it only makes common sense their educational performance would be higher than here .

Guest Stating the Obvious

Canada does not have an open border . To immigrate there you need to show you have a job waiting for you . You need to show you have the education and knowledge Canada needs before you are accepted into the country . Not every illegal criminal dummy in the world is accepted in to Canada and it only makes common sense their educational performance would be higher than here .

This thread needs to die out.

When the snow melts . Actually , one district gave the schools a snow day last year in May because they had one left over from the winter . Crazy huh ?????

Canada has the same boarder protection that we do. Pretty much the same laws too. However where our invaders come from is much closer to our boarder and they usually find what they want before they get to Canada's cold climate. It does happen that Mexicans get that far but it is not at all usual.

OK REALLY? Are you kidding me? Teacher's bankrupting? What a joke. HOW BOUT THE FREAKING WELFARE SCUMBAGS!!!!!!!! I guarantee you that your home boys are bringing in more money just by staying home, smoking, drinking, collecting a welfare check, living with their welfare girlfriends who are collecting a ton for all the kids she popped out....... Teacher's have to constantly go to training, college, etc They don't have their medical, heat, rent, and food paid for by the state, but the welfare losers do! So figure that one out you idiot! If a teacher makes $32,000 a year and then pays for health insurance, rent/mortgage, food for a year, oil, and student loans, what do you think is left? Then......go the summer without a pay check. Which leads to the next point. Most teacher's will do extra to help pay their expenses of the summer. You people really have no clue. I don't hear any one bitching about how much NYSEG customer service reps were making before they were put in their place. They were making over $20 an hour. Non-college degreed people answering a freaking phone making over $41,000 a year????????? OR..........HOW ABOUT Verizon workers? The list goes on and on........And your gripping about a teacher. GET A LIFE!

I don't hear any one bitching about how much NYSEG customer service reps were making before they were put in their place. They were making over $20 an hour.

NYSEG fixed the problem...they realized they were overpaying...now when will NYS say enough is enough???? It is funny how the teachers at Seton make next to nothing and no major cushy free bennies like most of the public teachers, yet most of the students grades are above average....hmmmmmmmm

Lets pay teachers 35,00 and work a full year! I'm guessing people with math and science degree are sure going to go into the teaching profession. Teachers good or bad have a minimal impact on students. You show my a good student and I will show parents that are involved in their child's life and education. I had a teacher conference day and had three parents show up!

And how does Seton manage to attract adn retain good teachers with reasonable pay and benefits ?

classic bcvoice thread! thanks to everyone for their idiocy...it made my day! please keep up the good work.

signed,

educated society

classic bcvoice thread! thanks to everyone for their idiocy...it made my day! please keep up the good work.

signed,

educated society

Why are you reading this thread if you think it is idiotic??? Why are you even commenting??

I laugh so hard at posts like these....thank you...you also keep our posts alive!!!

Saw some teachers already whining on their facebook status' tonight that they have to go back to work tomorrow. As if they have been slaving away in the E.J factories for the past 3 months working 10 hour days in such wretched conditions and been pulling 6 day work weeks. Unreal.

Saw some teachers already whining on their facebook status' tonight that they have to go back to work tomorrow. As if they have been slaving away in the E.J factories for the past 3 months working 10 hour days in such wretched conditions and been pulling 6 day work weeks. Unreal.

They have to take care and raise your snotty nosed kids cause you're a dead beat parent who doesn't care!!!

A boy writes a letter to God,

"Dear God, why do you allow terrible things to happen in our schools?"

God replies, "I'm not allowed in your schools!

The Teacher's Union won't let me."

I think this quotes just about sums it up

New York teachers union leader Albert Shanker said, "When school children start paying union dues, that's when I'll start representing the interests of school children."

Well as you said then they would fit into the paying property tax wouldn't they. Now they would only have to show that the worked for the money to pay the rent.

Did you read the last sentence to the post you are replying to. Not only do you need to know how to read but you must also learn how to comprehend. A prime example of the failure of retarded parents having children.

Canada has the same boarder protection that we do. Pretty much the same laws too. However where our invaders come from is much closer to our boarder and they usually find what they want before they get to Canada's cold climate. It does happen that Mexicans get that far but it is not at all usual.

Go to canada then.

Archived