Seton Basketball

Guest Johnny Only

Guest GUEST

I'm going to say it how it is like it or not. Seton basketball the past 10 years has been probably one of the most successful programs in this area. Three STAC titles with 6 appearances, 9 division titles and I believe they are on 7 or 8 straight. 5 Sectional titles, 2 regional titles, and a state title appearances. Seton has been so successful WITHOUT recruiting. They have been successful because of a few reasons.

1) Coach Sinicki knows how to get his players to play better then they are

2) For the exception of this year’s game against Westhill, he gets his players to play tough

3) They run the same shit, man-to-man, same offense, but they do it exceptional well

4) The players know of the winning tradition and play to keep it alive

With that being said, they are FAR FAR from perfect. They are people and kids just like anyone.

In 2009, when they went to the State Title they played the asses off. Meier was an exceptional guard with one of the nicest shots (best guard that year behind Gray whose now having a fine career at BU) and Furner played in the paint with tenacity, frankly didn't care who liked him and who hated him. The other starters Matthews, Gosney, and Johnson knew their roles and did what they needed to do to win. The bench on that team also knew their roles when they got in and executed for the most part. NOW with this being said, THEY WERE KIDS and WERE NOT PERFECT. But, that was a fun team to watch, and honestly, who thought those bunch of kids (14 of 15 went to Catholic School since 1st grade; and yes I will name them and their school if you'd like) would beat a team from Syracuse, and a very diverse talented team from Long Island (Malverne). This team was just flat out tough and fundamentally sound.

This year’s team wasn't tough at all which lead to their downfall. A kid who was 8 inches shorter pushed Garbade out of the paint. Torto got into foul trouble and everyone else got pushed around. This year’s team had so much talent, but not enough guts/nuts.

They've had kids go through that program since 1st grade throughout the 10 years. Gosneys, Tortos, Perraults, Furner, Meier, Matthews, Garbade, Farrel, Manni, Valenti, and the list goes on and on. If anyone has any questions about past teams I'd love to fill you in on them. PLEASE REMEMBER I'M ONLY SAYING POSITIVES BECAUSE TALKING TRASH ABOUT KIDS ONLINE ISN'T VERY ADMIRABLE OR MORALLY RIGHT. THAT IS WHY I SAID THESE KIDS ARE NOT SAINTS (pun not intended)

I would agree with most of these comments except the part about "not recruiting"

Its the kids who come to Seton on the "off" years that keep the successes going...........Ironically, this seems to have started with Sinicki!!!

Oh, he may not make the call to an up and commer, or a great player from a poor team; rather, he has one of his loyal assistants take the lead....

....it all comes out the same= RECRUITING!!!!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

I'm going to say it how it is like it or not. Seton basketball the past 10 years has been probably one of the most successful programs in this area. Three STAC titles with 6 appearances, 9 division titles and I believe they are on 7 or 8 straight. 5 Sectional titles, 2 regional titles, and a state title appearances. Seton has been so successful WITHOUT recruiting. They have been successful because of a few reasons.

1) Coach Sinicki knows how to get his players to play better then they are

2) For the exception of this year’s game against Westhill, he gets his players to play tough

3) They run the same shit, man-to-man, same offense, but they do it exceptional well

4) The players know of the winning tradition and play to keep it alive

With that being said, they are FAR FAR from perfect. They are people and kids just like anyone.

In 2009, when they went to the State Title they played the asses off. Meier was an exceptional guard with one of the nicest shots (best guard that year behind Gray whose now having a fine career at BU) and Furner played in the paint with tenacity, frankly didn't care who liked him and who hated him. The other starters Matthews, Gosney, and Johnson knew their roles and did what they needed to do to win. The bench on that team also knew their roles when they got in and executed for the most part. NOW with this being said, THEY WERE KIDS and WERE NOT PERFECT. But, that was a fun team to watch, and honestly, who thought those bunch of kids (14 of 15 went to Catholic School since 1st grade; and yes I will name them and their school if you'd like) would beat a team from Syracuse, and a very diverse talented team from Long Island (Malverne). This team was just flat out tough and fundamentally sound.

This year’s team wasn't tough at all which lead to their downfall. A kid who was 8 inches shorter pushed Garbade out of the paint. Torto got into foul trouble and everyone else got pushed around. This year’s team had so much talent, but not enough guts/nuts.

They've had kids go through that program since 1st grade throughout the 10 years. Gosneys, Tortos, Perraults, Furner, Meier, Matthews, Garbade, Farrel, Manni, Valenti, and the list goes on and on. If anyone has any questions about past teams I'd love to fill you in on them. PLEASE REMEMBER I'M ONLY SAYING POSITIVES BECAUSE TALKING TRASH ABOUT KIDS ONLINE ISN'T VERY ADMIRABLE OR MORALLY RIGHT. THAT IS WHY I SAID THESE KIDS ARE NOT SAINTS (pun not intended)

This post makes no sense. "2) For the exception of this year’s game against Westhill, he gets his players to play tough. "They've had kids go through that program since 1st grade throughout the 10 years."

The truth is they were not tough all year. Seton fans complained all year about that. If that is true anout the ten years then the program is the reason they are not tough.

Another knock I've read on here is that he only plays his starters no matter the score. This has been true of this program throughout Sinicki's time and even at the JV level it happens. I've seen better players sitting the bench than the starters in the past which means the program caters to certain families.

Sinicki is stuck in a rut with how he has his team play and cannot adjust which is the biggest reason he lost to Westhill and will continue to lose big ones. He could lose to a high school team coaching the LA Lakers.

Guest Guest

This post makes no sense. "2) For the exception of this year’s game against Westhill, he gets his players to play tough. "They've had kids go through that program since 1st grade throughout the 10 years."

The truth is they were not tough all year. Seton fans complained all year about that. If that is true anout the ten years then the program is the reason they are not tough.

Another knock I've read on here is that he only plays his starters no matter the score. This has been true of this program throughout Sinicki's time and even at the JV level it happens. I've seen better players sitting the bench than the starters in the past which means the program caters to certain families.

Sinicki is stuck in a rut with how he has his team play and cannot adjust which is the biggest reason he lost to Westhill and will continue to lose big ones. He could lose to a high school team coaching the LA Lakers.

That's funny

Archived