Seton Basketball

Guest Johnny Only

I wasn't at the game, but have no doubt this incident occurred. I have watched many teams play SCC-at Seton and at other schools in the section for the past 22 years, and the behavior of the SCC student fans has continually been deplorable. I have never witnessed anything quite like what goes on in their "cheering section"...rudeness, degrading comments, taunting...all from the "saints"? The food stamp comments wouldn't surprise me in the least. The SCC student section rips on kids for any number of things. They even chanted about a player's congential physical conditon earlier this year! You may claim that a priest and the principal were sitting amongst the students, but that has never served as a deterrent for their behavior. The "former" principal was almost always present for the games at SCC, and was there to watch the students in action. On their home court, their students routinely stand ON the sidelines, sometimes in play and in the way of officials attempting to give a player the inbounding ball. I couldn't have been happier when at a recent game, board official Chris Haines stopped play and directed the students to move up a row in the bleachers to get them off the court. Isn't this just common sense...if you're not a player in the game, you don't belong on the court? Apparently SCC fans turn a deaf ear to the code of conduct statement read for players and fans prior to the game. Certainly all schools have their issues with fan control from time to time, but SCC routinely tops the area for "unsaintly" behavior. And please don't respond with the "I must be a Catholic hater" retort...I attended Catholic schools for 12 years in a different diocese in NY.

Thank you!!!! Someone finally sees what Seton truly is...garbage.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest angryhoops

The Seton Catholic fans have been quite disrespectful for as long as I can remember. As a former player from another district, I have encountered first hand the wrath of the "Saints" as they claim to be. Zebra, I know exactly what game you are referring to, when they were calling a player who had a medical condition "alien" for a physical malformation. It disgusts me that the school claims to remain as upstanding, well behaved, classy students when they can say whatever they please at basketball games. To chant "food stamps" at the JC game is nothing short of embarrassing, and is a direct reflection of the school district- crap.

You mean like when R Powell was shooting foul shots and the seton fans were yelling 'Food Stamps'? That group should have been tossed from the event center.

I didn't hear that either and I was able to hear the other things they chanted. You must be having a stupid moment. Bottom line was JC played better and Seton was cold. I'm a Seton parent and I wonder why all the resentment goes to Seton people. Is it just the people on this site to pick on a small school that does well in some sports? Is it such a poke in the eye of the better funded schools that this happens? Grow up. Live and let live. No one is perfect.

Guest Othello

The Seton Catholic fans have been quite disrespectful for as long as I can remember. As a former player from another district, I have encountered first hand the wrath of the "Saints" as they claim to be. Zebra, I know exactly what game you are referring to, when they were calling a player who had a medical condition "alien" for a physical malformation. It disgusts me that the school claims to remain as upstanding, well behaved, classy students when they can say whatever they please at basketball games. To chant "food stamps" at the JC game is nothing short of embarrassing, and is a direct reflection of the school district- crap.

and what's even worse is the seton alumni and adults who show the worst conduct ever in local sports... whenever something goes wrong for seton, it's either the other team cheated or is playing dirty or the refs are horrible or biased for the other team ... it is never because seton may not be as good as the other team, there is always an excuse whenever seton is losing... you talk about phonies, where do you think the students get there uppity attitude? from their snobby parents...

So where did all the Seton bragging go? Not such a big deal when they don't play small schools and run the scores up. Garbade the powerhouse, only 8 points? Geez, he's 6'10"...what was his problem? I am not a malicious person by nature and I know this is high school sports and these are kids, but given the rude spectator behavior of the Seton community (a bit hypocritical don't you think when they are a Christian community) and the arrogance of the coach and players, I was happy to see JC put them in their place. To coin an expression from the bible...the exalted shall be humbled. Congrats JC....and congrats to the JC parents in restraining themselves from flaunting the win at this site.

I am an SCC parent of a player, and I would like to congratulate JC on playing a very good game an Saturday. They deserve to be STAC Champs, it was no accident. JC outplayed Seton, it was no fluke, just better basketball on their part. I think JC has a very good team, and I wish them the very best in the Sectionals, I think they have a real good chance at making some noise in Class A, not just in Section IV, but beyond (a real threat to get to Glens Falls). Of course, they will have to get by Norwich and perhaps M-E (not an easy assignment in either case), but if anyone can do it, I would say that's the team to do so.

As for SCC, maybe the loss will help them to be more determined for the Sectionals, as well as iron out some kinks they have had recently.

Guest fact checker

This same argument happens every year, and more times than not in the past few years, the Saints made it out of the section and went on to regional play with an appearance in Glens Falls in the state title game. And even then people did not give them credit. They have 300 kids in the school for gods sake without recruitment. The team that made it to Glens Falls had all but one player attend Catholic Schools since kindergarten. So take the stupid recruitment argument out of it. These teams are going far on their own merit, and to take away the hard work these kids put in is wrong. The same idiots make the same stupid argument year after year, and they continue to be wrong.

i know good christians should turn the other cheek, but you are turning a blind eye....no recruiying??. the qb...basketball player from vestal?? just decided a private school was best, any inducements?? you think... also the saints play a heavenly schedule on the way to the final four...their next opponent will come from two schools with a combined 10 and 22 record...not the stuff legends are made of...seton is a nice class b program...is able to get students from unlimited area, as compared to its opponents...attracks a decent number of bball hopefulls and does well..however their team is not capable of beating a quality athletic group. the glen falls trip you so gushed about is my substantiation..the coach refused to play anything other than man to man and seton could not keep up with kearney..

i know good christians should turn the other cheek, but you are turning a blind eye....no recruiying??. the qb...basketball player from vestal?? just decided a private school was best, any inducements?? you think... also the saints play a heavenly schedule on the way to the final four...their next opponent will come from two schools with a combined 10 and 22 record...not the stuff legends are made of...seton is a nice class b program...is able to get students from unlimited area, as compared to its opponents...attracks a decent number of bball hopefulls and does well..however their team is not capable of beating a quality athletic group. the glen falls trip you so gushed about is my substantiation..the coach refused to play anything other than man to man and seton could not keep up with kearney..

Periods are your friends.

Guest Wildcat man

So where did all the Seton bragging go? Not such a big deal when they don't play small schools and run the scores up. Garbade the powerhouse, only 8 points? Geez, he's 6'10"...what was his problem? I am not a malicious person by nature and I know this is high school sports and these are kids, but given the rude spectator behavior of the Seton community (a bit hypocritical don't you think when they are a Christian community) and the arrogance of the coach and players, I was happy to see JC put them in their place. To coin an expression from the bible...the exalted shall be humbled. Congrats JC....and congrats to the JC parents in restraining themselves from flaunting the win at this site.

Charmin's soft. Seton's BBall is as soft as they come.

Any chance that CV pulls off an upset aganist them?

CV struggled with the size that WP had on the front line(two kids listed at 6'5") which is average when compared to that of Seton(6'7" and 6'10"). As much as I would like to see it I don't think this game will be close. Seton by 20+ unless CV absolutely shoots the lights out and keeps it close, either way I think Seton is just too much for any of the teams in the B's.

CV struggled with the size that WP had on the front line(two kids listed at 6'5") which is average when compared to that of Seton(6'7" and 6'10"). As much as I would like to see it I don't think this game will be close. Seton by 20+ unless CV absolutely shoots the lights out and keeps it close, either way I think Seton is just too much for any of the teams in the B's.

seton will not turn the other cheek, sinicki will not turn to his bench..classless bunch too much for very weak class B...torto playing with huge seton leads perfect example why many root against saints in area.

Any chance that CV pulls off an upset aganist them?

Yes, it's possible. Obviously CV has to play well and keep mistakes to a minimum. Last time the teams met several weeks ago, the margin was 14 but felt much closer. CV stayed with them throughout and battled the entire game. Should be an exciting one!

Guest Guest

Charmin's soft. Seton's BBall is as soft as they come.

So Seton manhandles UE(and there is no other way to say it if you were there). Seton crushes (yes, crushes) Binghamton. Seton convincinly beats Norwich. Seton beats JC at JC when they had Clark. Two years ago, the beat a Malverne team that clearly had "athletes" that you speak of. Soft? Sound defense, good fundamentals. Anyone complains to the ref gets sent to the bench. You probably never noticed that did you Dick Vitale? Sorry we can't always win it. Sometimes we lose. Are we supposed to come on here and say "Yeh, we lost!" I am embarassed I read the losers on this site and that I actually respond. But I am bored at the moment. But you know what really matters is that we have so much fun with our basketball. The games are a blast. Seton is always in big games that matter. Sometimes we win and sometimes we lose but it is so much fun. But for those teams that really never play meaningful games, yeah, I can understand why you want to knock the winning programs. So knock away you little bugs.

Guest guest

No way CV even comes close to beating scc tonight....scc won by 30 in the first matchup and 15 in the second. Scc by 24....and then again by 20 in the championship Friday. They will get a tough match up coming out of section 3 for regionals.

Guest guest

I heard that setons starting PG may be out with an ankle injury....I think cv could win if they play mistake free, hit 12 or more threes, And get Garbade or Torto into foul trouble. Otherwise I agree, saints win by 25

Guest guest

So Seton manhandles UE(and there is no other way to say it if you were there). Seton crushes (yes, crushes) Binghamton. Seton convincinly beats Norwich. Seton beats JC at JC when they had Clark. Two years ago, the beat a Malverne team that clearly had "athletes" that you speak of. Soft? Sound defense, good fundamentals. Anyone complains to the ref gets sent to the bench. You probably never noticed that did you Dick Vitale? Sorry we can't always win it. Sometimes we lose. Are we supposed to come on here and say "Yeh, we lost!" I am embarassed I read the losers on this site and that I actually respond. But I am bored at the moment. But you know what really matters is that we have so much fun with our basketball. The games are a blast. Seton is always in big games that matter. Sometimes we win and sometimes we lose but it is so much fun. But for those teams that really never play meaningful games, yeah, I can understand why you want to knock the winning programs. So knock away you little bugs.

get a TO baby..you are quaking..beating bingo is no big shakes..the spartans beat them twice..they LOST to jc in the championship of two tournaments this year..they were great when they play the smaller schools, not so hot against the beterr programs..live in your world, turn the other cheek when critiqued by those living on a higher plane...

Guest Guest

get a TO baby..you are quaking..beating bingo is no big shakes..the spartans beat them twice..they LOST to jc in the championship of two tournaments this year..they were great when they play the smaller schools, not so hot against the beterr programs..live in your world, turn the other cheek when critiqued by those living on a higher plane...

What about UE? I believe ME lost to them twice, right? How do you splain that? And Seton manhandled UE, ie, the same UE that won their division and had like a 16-1 record. Was up, playa?

Guest Guest

First of all its (recruiting). Maybe the parents make the choice not the kid?? Ever think that parents look and see where the school in the area that offers the best education maybe?? Scepaniak was going to be sucsessful no matter what school or program he was in athletically. He is big ,strong and works very hard at whatever sports he is involved in.What inducements?? Small school plays against larger schools,harder curriculum,half the girls to chase,nuns and power crazy assit pricples running the school?? Piss off and look in your own back yard,its the only place that makes sense for him! Sit on your couch in a few yrs and say you knew him when he is on TV playing in college. Just like the GOOD kids Jamar,Jordan,Garbade,Veruto,Cary etc are doing.. Congrats boys...

Guest guest

First of all its (recruiting). Maybe the parents make the choice not the kid?? Ever think that parents look and see where the school in the area that offers the best education maybe?? Scepaniak was going to be sucsessful no matter what school or program he was in athletically. He is big ,strong and works very hard at whatever sports he is involved in.What inducements?? Small school plays against larger schools,harder curriculum,half the girls to chase,nuns and power crazy assit pricples running the school?? Piss off and look in your own back yard,its the only place that makes sense for him! Sit on your couch in a few yrs and say you knew him when he is on TV playing in college. Just like the GOOD kids Jamar,Jordan,Garbade,Veruto,Cary etc are doing.. Congrats boys...

you can always tell a post is going to be light weight when the postor starts out by smugly correcting a misspelled wordmmmany of these words are the result of a accidentally touched key..but let us not rob thee of your misguided haughtiness..i do not know setons academic particulars..i do know men who have and are teaching there that are not accredited teachers..not subbing, but teaching.who cares about the vestalplayer, he was not much at vestal, may show more against a weaker schedule..why play where it is tougher, you failed to bring this up..how many parents do you know send their teen aged kids to schools against their will?? todays day and age, get real..no one..the player looking for the easier way out to the tune of maybe four grand a year..please get real

Guest hoooops

How about that Seton apparent win by 20...... or 7. CV held close, and played a phenomenal game. The game was close the whole time, and was eventful to watch, and was no means a blow out. You arrogant Seton fans with your "crushing" of teams and "dominating." CV played especially well.

Guest Guest

How about that Seton apparent win by 20...... or 7. CV held close, and played a phenomenal game. The game was close the whole time, and was eventful to watch, and was no means a blow out. You arrogant Seton fans with your "crushing" of teams and "dominating." CV played especially well.

A win is a win...CV played very well, but Seton also played pretty badly and still won. Shows how much of a better team they must be. Unfortunately, coming close is only good for horseshoes and hand gernades.

Thanks for the score update....was SHOCKED to see that seton only won by 7, sounds like a good game. Any insight from anyone there? I'm sure tomorrow's PSB article will be all of one paragraph...blahh..

Guest guest

Thanks for the score update....was SHOCKED to see that seton only won by 7, sounds like a good game. Any insight from anyone there? I'm sure tomorrow's PSB article will be all of one paragraph...blahh..

Despite the final margin of 7, the two teams played evenly the ENTIRE game. It was more like a 2 point game the whole way. Awesome job by CV. They certainly gave SCC all they could handle. SCC isn't necessarily the better team just because they won, they just have a little more experience and a little deeper bench. CV should hold their heads high...played awesome. So much for that blowout that many predicted. Just goes to show you that the teams you least expect can surprise you if you aren't careful. Watch out for them next year!

Guest guest

No way CV even comes close to beating scc tonight....scc won by 30 in the first matchup and 15 in the second. Scc by 24....and then again by 20 in the championship Friday. They will get a tough match up coming out of section 3 for regionals.

CV won't even come close to beating SCC? Hmmmmm. Hope you were at the game last night...maybe that performance will prevent you from posting ridiculous predictions in the future! Outstanding is the word that comes to mind when describing CV's game plan and effort. They competed very well when the two teams last met in early February, but looked even better last night. Seton was LUCKY to have come away with the W. And how about the seton students charging the floor and their team at the end? It looked a lot like relief that they were able to pull that one off! CV certainly showed that the once "almighty saints" are looking mighty beatable! Congrats to CV on a very impressive game. And to Seton, better rebuild your confidence before Friday rolls around-that lock on a championship that you seem to assume is yours appears to be up for grabs.

Archived