Seton Basketball

Guest Johnny Only

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good coaching and good players who play for the name on the jersey. Seton basketball has built a high tradition that current and upcoming players want to keep alive. Students and alumni care a good deal about the program. Also it helps that they play in STAC East and that the Torto families pro create a lot.

Seton played OK....should have won by more, Corning did not have anyone to put the ball in besides PG #5. Smothers played very well, Torto was OK, took his usual 20 shots.

Seton is a good team, will be tough once they get out of the section as they have 0 bench. Game against JC should be good..

You Seton parents kill me. He yells at my kid!!! Your kid is lazy then if you think Sinicki isnt going to yell maybe you should come watch a practice!! Because you pay 6300 doesnt mean your kid is in intitled to be pampered. You know what I would be willing to bet that your kid doesnt even make the varsity team! O what now go tell the principle that your little boy isnt getting a fair shake!! You parents do the same in football, kick Clarkie out bring in new coaches now you think they are to mean !! YOUR SAD!!!

Guest Bearcat

SCC has just not been in sync the last few games, and if they don't pick up their overall game, JC is going to knock them off, maybe even a double digit win. Seton especially has to turn it around on the defensive end, they have been lackluster at best in that phase. JC has some big scorers on that squad (Pettiford, Robinson, Powell, even Vicks can score if his confidence returns), and if Seton doesn't bear down defensively, they aren't going to fare well against JC. Furthermore, they have been careless offensively, they have been committing (unforced) turnovers that have got to have Sinicki beside himself.

Maybe playing a very good JC team will get SCC to focus, and play the way they are capable. But even a focused SCC team will have their hands full against a determined JC squad. And if JC can get Seton in an up-and-down the court type game, it looks like that would be a big advantage in JC's favor. Seton has to find a way to slow them down.

It looks like right now, the edge goes to JC. But... don't count SCC out just yet.

This is not being negative, just realistic.

Let's see what happens in two years. All their JV coach does is yell and scream. Seems not to develop players at all.

Hasn't SCC had the same JV coach for the past 8 years or so? That would seem to invalidate your post, especially since the SCC varsity has been (arguably) the best program in the area in that time. Won 3 STAC's, even more Sectionals & Regionals, and two trips (three?) to Glens Falls.

And if JC can get Seton in an up-and-down the court type game, it looks like that would be a big advantage in JC's favor. Seton has to find a way to slow them down.

Bingo. JC can run anyone in the area out of the building. You have to catch them on a down night. Seton beat JC a month ago but JC is playing at whole different level right now.

Guest Old School

Bingo. JC can run anyone in the area out of the building. You have to catch them on a down night. Seton beat JC a month ago but JC is playing at whole different level right now.

In years past in playoff contention against supposedly superior athletic teams SCC has chosen to slow the game down to avoid a big run by the supposedly faster quicker team. In an effort to utilize their size advantage, expect the same. Getting back on D, guarding the perimeter, and strong rebounding win championships. Running the floor can work when the athletic superiority is obvious, but I don't see JC having any athletic advantage. Should be a great game, mid 60's.

Seton will have to keep the game low scoring....they can't get into a track meet with JC. Someone will have to step up on SCC as well to score...either Smothers, Garbade or Armstrong will need a big game...Torto will have is usual 14-18 but someone else will have to score consistently, much like Armstrong did the last game scc won at Jc. Prediction....scc by 6.

Hasn't SCC had the same JV coach for the past 8 years or so? That would seem to invalidate your post, especially since the SCC varsity has been (arguably) the best program in the area in that time. Won 3 STAC's, even more Sectionals & Regionals, and two trips (three?) to Glens Falls.

I went to one Seton game and watched the Norwich JV come from 12 or 14 down and win in the last quarter. I was not impressed with the JV coach either. I know some of the kids and he had better talent on the bench than he had in the game. He seemed to be promoting this one kid and that is what lost the game for him. I was thinking about enrolling my kids at Seton for sports but there seems to be too many negatives and this was just one of them. It seems that parents who have kids that really aren't that good have a lot of say about the coaching. The best coach I saw at Seton was Mr. Garbade with the JV girls. He does a great job of instruction during the game. Of course he is not the head coach and the head coach leaves a lot to be desired. Their football program needs tougher kids but again I don't see that happening because of the parents right now. I doubt they will let the coaches do what it takes. One thing about the Varsity Basketball coach. I don't think a King Rice or player of this caliber could ever play for him. I don't think he would allow them to play to their full potential. He could never coach D1 like his brother. I don't think he likes flashy play and this is where JC will beat them if they do. The JC coach will let his kids loose. The kids on Seton look to the bench far to much and that little bit of time will kill them in a fast game.

nice post coach Garbade... You think bobby is so great,he got pancaked all night with Corning. When your 7 foot 240 NO 5'8 165 kid should take the ball out of your hands on your way up.. Geeze get a job.

My impression is that a team with a 6'10" player should be doing better than what they are. He should be aggressive and commanding the game. Instead, the game comes to him instead of him establishing the game. The next tallest player in STAC is his own teammate. The two of them should make Seton guards obsolete. They don't. Now to talk about JC beating them with their tallest player being maybe 6'4". Embarrassing for Seton. I know alot of players that would love to be 6'10" and have their given athleticism with that height. JC can win for the second time against Seton because they understand what they are capable of. Look for JC to set the pace and for Seton to attempt to just win. JC is more athletic and quicker. This should be good. Additionally there is talk of Seton being ranked third in the state.....yeh, in class D. Should they do well in the states.....yeh again. Public schools take who they get within the tax paying community to play ball year after year. Seton is private. Play hard both teams, best wishes for a fair, well officiated, and hard fought game. May the best team win.

I disagree...I think Seton is at a disadvantage, they only have 300-400 kids total at the school, of only maybe 20 try out for bball. Most other schools have 2,3,4 times that....they have so many more options, you would think they would dominate a team like scc. Playing against larger schools all year and being 15-1 or whatever they are certainly warrants a high state ranking.

I think it comes down to a solid group of kids moving through the last 8-10 yrs, many of whom are probably siblings or related. And good coaching

Guest Check some facts!

My impression is that a team with a 6'10" player should be doing better than what they are. He should be aggressive and commanding the game. Instead, the game comes to him instead of him establishing the game. The next tallest player in STAC is his own teammate. The two of them should make Seton guards obsolete. They don't. Now to talk about JC beating them with their tallest player being maybe 6'4". Embarrassing for Seton. I know alot of players that would love to be 6'10" and have their given athleticism with that height. JC can win for the second time against Seton because they understand what they are capable of. Look for JC to set the pace and for Seton to attempt to just win. JC is more athletic and quicker. This should be good. Additionally there is talk of Seton being ranked third in the state.....yeh, in class D. Should they do well in the states.....yeh again. Public schools take who they get within the tax paying community to play ball year after year. Seton is private. Play hard both teams, best wishes for a fair, well officiated, and hard fought game. May the best team win.

How could they be doing better than they are. The have only lost one game this season by one point, and it was the very first game of the season! The only way they could possibly be doing any better record wise than they are now is if the 6'10 guy had of made two more points in that first game.

Also they play in class B. Third in the state in class B even though they are the size of a class D school.

Before I read your stupid post I could have cared less about the outcome of this game, but thanks to you I hope Seton crushes JC.

Class B..... class d what's the difference? They are not ranked third in the state. They are ranked third in a small class level. The news makes it sound like they are third overall....there is still class A and class AA ahead of them. So.....they are not. Lets face it they are not a very impressive team. They are what they are. Winning over Windsor, Chenango Forks, and small schools by 30 points does not make them great. The news announcing a win streak for them is like "no big deal". I think they should be winning by 30 points over Norwich...JC....UE...Corning....they haven't. You know the better schools in the area. Seton manages to win unconvinceably. It also sticks (because you didn't highlight it) that you agree that a 6'10" player should be more dominant and commanding the game. Thanks for agreeing with that. I also think the size comparison is to similar sized schools and not to A or AA sized schools. Tryouts at public schools are small too, as by 11th grade you know whether you are going to make the team or not. Then if not you can go swim, wrestle, cheer or otherwise. Tryouts at Seton are not for whom ever wants to. You know going in that you are going to play basketball. Lastly, cheer for whomever you want as I am not from either school district. Hahaha.....

Guest maygodhavemercyonyoursoul

I went to one Seton game and watched the Norwich JV come from 12 or 14 down and win in the last quarter. I was not impressed with the JV coach either. I know some of the kids and he had better talent on the bench than he had in the game. He seemed to be promoting this one kid and that is what lost the game for him. I was thinking about enrolling my kids at Seton for sports but there seems to be too many negatives and this was just one of them. It seems that parents who have kids that really aren't that good have a lot of say about the coaching. The best coach I saw at Seton was Mr. Garbade with the JV girls. He does a great job of instruction during the game. Of course he is not the head coach and the head coach leaves a lot to be desired. Their football program needs tougher kids but again I don't see that happening because of the parents right now. I doubt they will let the coaches do what it takes. One thing about the Varsity Basketball coach. I don't think a King Rice or player of this caliber could ever play for him. I don't think he would allow them to play to their full potential. He could never coach D1 like his brother. I don't think he likes flashy play and this is where JC will beat them if they do. The JC coach will let his kids loose. The kids on Seton look to the bench far to much and that little bit of time will kill them in a fast game.

Thinking of enrolling your kids in Seton for sports? You really think at 5K per kid, that's the best reason to enroll your kids in Seton? Wow.

It also sticks (because you didn't highlight it) that you agree that a 6'10" player should be more dominant and commanding the game. Thanks for agreeing with that.

Being 6'10" doesn't mean much when someone 5-6" shorter can jump as high and run circles around you.

Archived