Wisconsin Senate to vote on anti-union bill

tom

Public unions are obsolete, not necessary. Any good personnel department is all that is needed. There are so many laws regarding the workplace. All unions do any more is shake down the taxpayer.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Public unions are obsolete, not necessary. Any good personnel department is all that is needed. There are so many laws regarding the workplace. All unions do any more is shake down the taxpayer.

I am in a union and can't stand it. That being said, the state has refused to give us a contract for 8 years and no raises for 6. I am sure part of the problem IS the union but the state has also been pissing down our neck. I hate to think where we would be without the union.

I am in a union and can't stand it. That being said, the state has refused to give us a contract for 8 years and no raises for 6. I am sure part of the problem IS the union but the state has also been pissing down our neck. I hate to think where we would be without the union.

You would be in the same boat as Walmart workers. But those on the right like that idea for some reason.

You would be in the same boat as Walmart workers. But those on the right like that idea for some reason.

It wasn't "the right" who gave walmart an exemption from Obamacare!

BTW, do you know where your birth certificate is?

typical local simpleton woodchuck attempt at diversion

Guest guest with hope

Posted Today, 09:43 AM

View PostJames Bonham, on 20 February 2011 - 10:24 PM, said:

\Jeeez, Yoiu ain't over the woodchuck thing yet? It is passed the point of laughable and has reached the pitiable state!

Locally, things are doubtful! Nationally, AMERICANS are chomping at the bit!

(why do you bother with your nonsense? Are you that stupid or that controled?

(Never mind, I just got a call answering my question. DELETED!

Because it fits you and tom so well. Also it piss you off. Now with one word everyone have a way to treat you, the way you treat everyone else.

Simple - elegant - direct - descriptive - to the point

Walmart has an exemption for the current time only because the phased in approach of the Health Care Reform. If you understood anything about the health care reform bill and what it does and how it sets up insurance for those that do not have it you would understand that for another 2-3 years most corporations will be able to get exemptions, but as soon as the state run pools are up they will no longer be able to do so.

Question: How many Public employees do you think actually belong to unions?

Public employees are the majority now of all union members, public or private. Public unions are a drain on taxpayers and uneeded because the labor laws are now thorough.

Public employees are the majority now of all union members, public or private. Public unions are a drain on taxpayers and uneeded because the labor laws are now thorough.

Question: If middle class wages have remained generally stagnant since the 1970's, with rampant growth in the top end of incomes, doesn't it seem like we need more unions to collectively bargain for fairer and higher wages for the working masses (the middle), and the vast majority of us should be moving towards trying to establish more unions to garner a fairer slice of the pie?

Why would people from Broome County be arguing for actions which will drag down wages for working people.

What is the world view which says American workers should be leveraged to work for the least amount possible.

The Republicans are out to destroy unions. The Tea Party is anti-union.

I understand Republicans, they represent the upper class, but why does the grass roots oppose unions?

Why would people from Broome County be arguing for actions which will drag down wages for working people.

What is the world view which says American workers should be leveraged to work for the least amount possible.

I understand Republicans, they represent the upper class, but why does the grass roots oppose unions?

coincidentally the states with the lowest scores as far as education goes? 4 out of the 5 are states that have banned teacher unions.

Probably because the taxpayers are not forced to honor guaranteed contracts with the upper class to make up the difference in their pension plans while in economic downturns, leading to a $23.51 billion (and climbing) dollar debt in Wisconsin.

coincidentally the states with the lowest scores as far as education goes? 4 out of the 5 are states that have banned teacher unions.

Great. Let's make it 50 out of 50.

It appears that the teachers are willing to make concessions to help pay for the tax breaks for business.

But, why the hatred for union, why the hatred here.

They'll make concessions whether they'e willing to or not. Just like private industry.

They'll make concessions whether they'e willing to or not. Just like private industry.

Man, take a look at these numbers. These unfunded liabilities (money states are on the hook to pay out for pensions in the future) are unbelievable.

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2010/04/interactive-map-of-public-pension-plans.html

The problem is if these pension funds are not "fully funded", the taxpayer needs to make up the difference.

Although there's an interesting discrepancy here between different sources for this information. Other articles show the Wisconsin pension plan as almost fully funded, which I found hard to believe. Digging further you can see some of the the math behind this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/09/business/09pension.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

According to this NY Times article, Wisconsin is assuming a guaranteed rate of return of 7.8% (along with toying with derivatives! but that's another issue). This means if it only makes 5%, the taxpayer could be on the hook for the rest (if it takes a loss.... ouch). Wouldn't you like a guaranteed rate of return of almost 8% on your investments?

Solution? Replace pensions with a 401k. There is no longer a large wage advantage of private vs public and in fact the salary/benefit package of a public sector worker is substantially higher than equivalent private sector worker. This guaranteed payout BS is too risky and can easily bankrupt any of these states. Better you have something to retire with than a state that can no longer pay unrealistic obligations.

I find it interesting that Obama had that "I won, you lost" attitude when the Dems controlled both houses and rammed healthcare down everyone's throats. Even now, with 70% of Americans against it, he insists that his way is the right way because after all, the people spoke when they elected him. When the people of Wisconsin spoke and elected a Governor who is doing what he promised he would do, and what he campaigned on, Obama doesn't take the same attitude. Then he lectures Middle East countries about heeding the will of their people, as he disregards the will of his own. And what happened to the need for civility in our conversations and debates? I guess that only applies to right wing. The left have been portraying the Wisconsin Governor as Hitler, and prefer to mob approach when the going gets tough. Not much civility there. This is hypocrisy on parade.

I find it interesting that Obama had that "I won, you lost" attitude when the Dems controlled both houses and rammed healthcare down everyone's throats. Even now, with 70% of Americans against it, he insists that his way is the right way because after all, the people spoke when they elected him. When the people of Wisconsin spoke and elected a Governor who is doing what he promised he would do, and what he campaigned on, Obama doesn't take the same attitude. Then he lectures Middle East countries about heeding the will of their people, as he disregards the will of his own. And what happened to the need for civility in our conversations and debates? I guess that only applies to right wing. The left have been portraying the Wisconsin Governor as Hitler, and prefer to mob approach when the going gets tough. Not much civility there. This is hypocrisy on parade.

local simpleton woodchuck Tea Partiers enjoy using the term "rammed down the throat" when it concerns something that was voted on by congress and signed into law

freud would have fun with that

Can you please, for once try to get beyond name calling ad contribute something meaningful to the conversation?

You made my point exactly. The left can't get their way so they resort to name calling and shouting louder.

Archived