All Time Great U.E. football team

Guest Ty Cobb

Guest Ty Cobb

This roster places a lot of weight on what they accomplished after high school. No player can go both ways. Some of these guys switched positions during their football careers. Most of these picks are no brainers. Only a few are close calls like the QB position. Many good players will be left out. If somebody wants to post the second team roster they can.

QB Randy Zur

Running Backs Jordan Thomas, Jarvis Shields, Bobby Norris

Receivers Gary Beddoe and Ben Prusia

Offensive Line Steve Villanti, Mike Crounse, Ron Luciano, Doc Matisi, Jerrard Veruto

Kick returner Tom Bennett

Placekicker Ron Rejda

Defensive line Joe Mott, Ken Tatko, Art Jones, Chandler Jones

Linebackers Isiah Kascevenski, Dave Wolfe, Bill Mills

Defensive backs Eddie Koban, Ron Bidwell, Johnny Logan, Tom Mason

Head Coach Dave Archer

Just a question for the UE faithful. Why is Fran Angeline not so well liked? A guy who was the head coach as long as he was doesn't seem to get the respect you'd think he would.

Just a question for the UE faithful. Why is Fran Angeline not so well liked? A guy who was the head coach as long as he was doesn't seem to get the respect you'd think he would.

I know he ruffled quite a few non-STAC feathers when he was quoted to say "It's bad when a Sus school beats a STAC school"

Dave Archer became a D1 college coach. No other former Tiger including Angeline achieved that.

Dave Archer became a D1 college coach. No other former Tiger including Angeline achieved that.

Hard to believe Angeline didn't have an opportunity to coach college. Especially after that great '79 season. I just figured he'd rather stay at UE because it's what he loved. It just doesn't seem like the guy gets much love.

Receivers Gary Beddoe and Ben Prusia

That Skoeneckzi kid from the last decade merits mention. He was really good and would have starred on a pass-oriented squad.

That Skoeneckzi kid from the last decade merits mention. He was really good and would have starred on a pass-oriented squad.

I am the original poster. You can mention these names on the All time second team. Adam does not make the first team, sorry.

I am the original poster. You can mention these names on the All time second team. Adam does not make the first team, sorry.

Shouldn't your head coach actually be someone who has been a head coach on the sidelines at ANY game (not to mention a U-E game)?

Shouldn't your head coach actually be someone who has been a head coach on the sidelines at ANY game (not to mention a U-E game)?

I wanted to honor the accomplishment of Dave Archer. He was a close choice for being on the offensive line so i gave him the coaching role based on his Cornell job. Otherwise it would have been a tie between Cobb and Angeline if I used your criteria.

I wanted to honor the accomplishment of Dave Archer.

What accomplishment? Being hired?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's GREAT that Archer got hired, but your putting him in that spot is not only ludicrous, but it is a slap in the face of a man who coached hundreds of games in 5 different decades.

Also, if the previous Cornell coach hadn't moved on, Arch would not have been mentioned by you. How can an all-time team for a high school be effected by a college coach resigning his position just a few weeks ago? It makes zero sense.

What accomplishment? Being hired?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's GREAT that Archer got hired, but your putting him in that spot is not only ludicrous, but it is a slap in the face of a man who coached hundreds of games in 5 different decades.

Also, if the previous Cornell coach hadn't moved on, Arch would not have been mentioned by you. How can an all-time team for a high school be effected by a college coach resigning his position just a few weeks ago? It makes zero sense.

Just because somebody coached for 60 years it does not make him a great coach. Most high school coaches in all sports are teachers. One they get the job it is hard to get them out. Archer is not a teacher. He is a professional coach. That is why I picked him. I will concede your point. He never coached at U.E. So we can take your man Cobb and make him the All Time coach. This is not worth arguing over because it is the least important and most subjective of all the others ranked..

Marcus Wilson was almost as good as Jarvis Shields...

Wilson was good but not in the class of Shields. Wilson would have a hard time making the all time Tiger second team

Running Backs Jordan Thomas, Jarvis Shields, Bobby Norris

No FBs? or was Norris a FB and I am not recalling right? If not, I am surprised you did not make one of the 3 a FB as U-E has had their share of deserving brusiers in that position.

OP, who would you pick for FB?

No FBs? or was Norris a FB and I am not recalling right? If not, I am surprised you did not make one of the 3 a FB as U-E has had their share of deserving brusiers in that position.

OP, who would you pick for FB?

I am the OP. None of my running backs were fullbacks. No fullbacks were even close to the tailbacks so I went with 3 tailbacks.

Top fullbacks were John Crooks, Gary Beddoe Jr, Paul Norris Dan Davis in no particular order

Who was the UE running back the year JC beat them at ME in a championship game? That was like 1982. Was that Wilson? That was one hell of a game.

Bobby Norris who later set records at Delaware.

This is WAY off topic, but in reading the pages after the picture of Bob Veruto, There was a write up about Sherburne football, led by Dave Dunster of Dunster's Restaurant fame and another write up about Newark Valley football, led by Mike Rotunda of WWE fame. A very small world indeed! Going back to topic, I agree with the original post. It is tough to go through many years of great athletes, but you did an excellent job. Thank you for great memories!

This roster places a lot of weight on what they accomplished after high school. No player can go both ways. Some of these guys switched positions during their football careers. Most of these picks are no brainers. Only a few are close calls like the QB position. Many good players will be left out. If somebody wants to post the second team roster they can.

Defensive line Joe Mott, Ken Tatko, Art Jones, Chandler Jones

Curt Parvin was pretty darm good. I think he was like in the class of 73.

Archived