Hot Rod passes

I will set you free

WWE is deeply saddened that Roderick Toombs, aka Rowdy Roddy Piper WWE Hall of Famer and Intercontinental Champion passed away today at the age of 61. WWE extends its sincerest condolences to Toombs family, friends and fans.

The following is a statement from WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon:

Roddy Piper was one of the most entertaining, controversial and bombastic performers ever in WWE, beloved by millions of fans around the world. I extend my deepest condolences to his family.

and now Snuka has a serious health problem

http://www.tmz.com/2015/08/03/jimmy-superfly-snuka-stomach-cancer/

:(

I loved the 80's and I'm proud to say I lived through that decade. Definitely the best of times for me. Sad to see all the wrestlers from that era messed up or dead. Meanwhile, Vince McMahon looks great for his age and is beyond rich. Hmmmmm....

:(

I loved the 80's and I'm proud to say I lived through that decade. Definitely the best of times for me. Sad to see all the wrestlers from that era messed up or dead. Meanwhile, Vince McMahon looks great for his age and is beyond rich. Hmmmmm....

In 1988, in one of the WWFs events that was televised from the Arena, a bunch of us at work made several very good quality signs.

One I held got airtime up close and commentary from Jesse Ventura and whomever was his broadcast partner (maybe Okerlund?). I knew it was being aired as I had floor seats on the aisle where the wrestlers walked by and a cameraman with the red-light on came right up to me and filmed the sign I was holding above my head and then he panned down to my face. I have it on VHS tape somewhere.

Anyway, being 1988 it was a presidential campaign year, the Arena event was during the Democratic National Convention and presumptive nominee Mike Duklakis had not yet selected a running mate. That topic was dominating the political news.

So my sign said what you may ask?

In red, white and blue it said DUKAKIS / HEENAN IN 1988!

The TV commentary went like:

Ventura: Look at that idiot!

Other: I don't know, I think that ticket has a chance.

Ventura: The only thing Heenan will be running for is the exits!

So, the then future Governor of Minnesota called me an idiot on National TV! I simply could not be prouder of that!

Add to that a man with his name on the Stanley Cup (Marty McSorely) also once called me an idiot from the Arena ice! (I had front-row seats right behind the visitors penalty box for about 15 years, and sometimes we kinda sorta picked on the goons of the opposing team with no glass twixt us and the players. Man could I tell you some great stories :-) Mike K (the guy who sat next to me there for 15 years) and I once considered writing a small book called "Tales From Behind The Penalty Box". We also treated most of the visitor players (including the goons) nice most of the time and had many a fun conversation with them. None the less, McSorely deserved it. :-)

Yes, rest peacefully Mr Piper, and thanks for the many memories during the 2nd Golden Age of professional rasslin'

Archived