Can colleges and schools ever be made safe?

Guest Guest

This is a CNN.com web site question. So far, 82% said no. When I was in school(1970's), someone pulled a knife just once in all of high school... she was from NYC area. Now days, they have to have metal detectors at the doors. Kids shooting up college and high school campuses. As I see it, the main difference just 30 years ago, God was allowed in schools, teachers were allowed to discipline kids (cant even raise your voice now). Spanking your kids kept them in line, now its considered child abuse. All of these changes were brought about by liberal thinking. When are people going to realize the reasons today's kids are so dangerous? Yes, I said dangerous! Lack of discipline and moral values, the break up of families (not limited to but including accepting gays to marry and adopt) are major contributors. God help us all if this continues in the same direction it has been or (most likely gets worse)! I thank God that my father was strong enough and CARED enough to discipline me when I needed it. That included yelling, spanking and sometimes the belt. If I wanted something, many times all I got was NO. Many times I got yes too but the no's were so not to spoil me and to teach me that if you want something, you had to earn it. I called anyone who could call my parents by their first name Mr., Mrs. or sir. So many today are so spoiled and in dire need of discipline. :(

Whats with a lot of the kids with all these piercings and tattoos and potty mouths... All they say is DELETED this and DELETED that. However there are a few great kids out there.

This is a CNN.com web site question. So far, 82% said no. When I was in school(1970's), someone pulled a knife just once in all of high school... she was from NYC area. Now days, they have to have metal detectors at the doors. Kids shooting up college and high school campuses. As I see it, the main difference just 30 years ago, God was allowed in schools, teachers were allowed to discipline kids (cant even raise your voice now). Spanking your kids kept them in line, now its considered child abuse. All of these changes were brought about by liberal thinking. When are people going to realize the reasons today's kids are so dangerous? Yes, I said dangerous! Lack of discipline and moral values, the break up of families (not limited to but including accepting gays to marry and adopt) are major contributors. God help us all if this continues in the same direction it has been or (most likely gets worse)! I thank God that my father was strong enough and CARED enough to discipline me when I needed it. That included yelling, spanking and sometimes the belt. If I wanted something, many times all I got was NO. Many times I got yes too but the no's were so not to spoil me and to teach me that if you want something, you had to earn it. I called anyone who could call my parents by their first name Mr., Mrs. or sir. So many today are so spoiled and in dire need of discipline. :(

As a teacher - I raise my voice to children. And it can be heard from the hills. And I discipline - and Kids respond --- and fear. Discipline is NOT dead in schools. Don't believe what you have been feed by the media.

I am liberal and believe in equal treatment at every turn. While I am a god fearing person - I can do my job well without (and with) God in my manners.

School are the safest place for kids and this is proven by the FBI numbers every year. Much safer than at home. (Especially with homes with guns)

I don't fear guns. I fear a society that believes that violence can be absent from our children's lives.

We live a society that consumes violence at every turn. It is bound to show up in those that teeter on societies' edge. None of this is a surprise - is it?

Kids are safe in my room - I promise you. I will give my life for your kids because you give them to me every day to protect. That is my first job as a teacher and I never take that for granted. You have given me a responsibility beyond me. I work hard within my building to make it a safe place but we adults can't control everything.

As a teacher - I raise my voice to children. And it can be heard from the hills. And I discipline - and Kids respond --- and fear. Discipline is NOT dead in schools. Don't believe what you have been feed by the media.

I am liberal and believe in equal treatment at every turn. While I am a god fearing person - I can do my job well without (and with) God in my manners.

School are the safest place for kids and this is proven by the FBI numbers every year. Much safer than at home. (Especially with homes with guns)

I don't fear guns. I fear a society that believes that violence can be absent from our children's lives.

We live a society that consumes violence at every turn. It is bound to show up in those that teeter on societies' edge. None of this is a surprise - is it?

Kids are safe in my room - I promise you. I will give my life for your kids because you give them to me every day to protect. That is my first job as a teacher and I never take that for granted. You have given me a responsibility beyond me. I work hard within my building to make it a safe place but we adults can't control everything.

While I applaud your commitment...

"Don't believe what you have been feed by the media. "

My cousin has been a teacher in Queens,NY for at least 25 years. She say there is a world of difference in today's society. She can't even yell at those kids or touch them. She says, they are worse this year than ever! (Only 7th grade!)

"School are the safest place for kids and this is proven by the FBI numbers every year"

30 years ago, how many shootings at schools were there???

"I will give my life for your kids because you give them to me every day to protect"

How many teachers gave there life at Columbine? Some were killed and some hid with students.

" but we adults can't control everything"

One of my points exactly. You can't control if a deranged kid comes in with a loaded gun(s).

My main point in original post is that compared to thirty years ago (God was allowed, spanking was allowed ect.), you practically never heard of such things. I blame the liberal thinking and some aspects of political correctness for this. Folks, we are in big trouble if we dont turn this around. Even abortion sends a signal that every life is not important. Have not been able to upload pic but I found a pic of gravemarker on line fromTombstone Az that reads " Baby, died by abortion" (modern headstone)

every law abiding citizen.

Marius, You are right on saying if someone had been armed maybe they could have saved some people. I think this is the answer to this school shooting problem. Bet if a shooter came out and someone in the audience pulled a gun and started shooting back, maybe that would make the next nutcase think twice before they decided to open fire on innocent people. Wish I could carry a gun around. Sure would feel safer.

At one time I was very against arming teachers or allowing qualified students to carry on campus. I’m not any more. These maniacs go to those schools KNOWING that their’s will be the only gun there - until police arrive. And that can take minutes.

If you know anything about guns, or ever fire on a range, take any semi-automatic pistol with, say, two extra loaded magazines, and see how long it will take you to fire every single round in those magazines. It doesn’t take but a few seconds. Then imagine firing into a crowded room filled with unarmed people. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

This one, like some others before him, even stopped to reload. One gun. That’s all it would have taken. But that campus, like all the others, is a “gun free zone”.

To everyone except the killer.

Guest A Reasonable Atheist

Or if other people had guns you would see multiple people shot by the schmuck trying to be a hero. How about the other extreme, what if no one had guns?

How about the other extreme, what if no one had guns?

You must be one of those aint-gun people. Lemme give you a hint...responsible people who own guns aren't the one's who are going shooting up places. With proper training, and of course background checks and all that stuff, you would probably have less crime if people were allowed to carry a firearm.

From BBC World:

US school shootings are not increasing

Schools in the United States are becoming safer rather than more dangerous, say researchers, despite the anxieties caused by such high-profile incidents as the massacre at Columbine high school last month.

"The facts are that schools remain safer than the streets and many American homes, sadly," said Kathleen Fisher of Pennsylvania State University.

Speaking at the American Psychiatric Association, Ms Fisher said there had been a decline in the number of school murders during the Nineties, despite a number of well-publicised incidents.

"Americans are sickened by the spectre of kid-on-kid shootings," she said, but that should not mask the overall reduction in school gun deaths.

In 1992-93, there were 55 pupils murdered in school shootings, with 51 in 1993-94; 20 in 1994-95; 35 in 1995-96; 25 in 1996-97 and 40 in 1997-98. This year's murder rate has reached 24.

The American Psychiatric Association also heard suggestions about which factors might influence such gun attacks.

Lois Flaherty of the University of Maryland said that small class sizes and the enforcement of school rules were often characteristics of schools with a low level of violence.

According to Dr Flaherty, the profile of children most likely to commit violent attacks is of a male pupil with a disrupted home life, a history of neglect or abuse and a record of poor academic performance.

While the academics pointed to a gradual reduction in school murders, there have been a number of violent incidents in the wake of the Littleton shootings.

From USA Today:

School killings up slightly, government study shows

Updated 12/3/2006 11:31 PM ET

Enlarge By Matt Rourke, AP

The boarded-up Amish schoolhouse, where five girls were shot to death and five others were injured on Oct. 2, in Nickel Mines, Pa. A study looked at violent crimes against students over several periods of time, and showed a slight rise in school shootings during the 2004-2005 academic year.

WASHINGTON (AP) — At least 21 people were killed at school during the 2004-05 academic year, a slight increase from the year before, the government reported Sunday.

The study by the Bureau of Justice Statistics does not include data from fatal shootings in Wisconsin, Colorado and Pennsylvania this fall. In Pennsylvania, five Amish girls were killed in a one-room schoolhouse by a milk truck driver who then turned the gun on himself.

Overall, fewer students reported being the victims of violent crime at school or school-sponsored events in 2004-2005, the study by the Justice Department agency show. Additionally, school-age children remain far more likely to be assaulted, raped and robbed off school grounds.

The study looked at violent crime against students over several periods of time.

The 21 killings at school-related events, between July 2004 and June 2005, targeted victims between age 5 and 18, said Katrina Baum, co-author of the 2006 Indicators of School Crime and Safety. Over the previous year, 19 people were killed.

It was not immediately clear whether all the victims were students. Still, the preliminary data indicates that students were about 50 times more likely in the 2003-04 school year to be killed away from school than at school, the report shows.

The number of deadly shootings has risen and fallen over the past 15 years. Overall school violence has shown a declining trend, although it has increased lately.

The study notes that four of every 1,000 students in 2004 reported being the victim of violent crimes — compared with six of every 1,000 in 2003. Researchers polled students between 12 and 18 for that part of the survey, co-written by the Education Department's National Center for Education Statistics.

Younger students were found to be more likely crime victims — including those injured by bullies, the report showed. Last year, 28% of students polled said they had been bullied.

Also in 2005, 24% of students questioned said that gangs were at their schools — up 3% from 2003. The rates of fights, drinking alcoholic beverages, and weapons found at schools remained at 2003 levels, the report noted.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

From BBC World:

Schools in the United States are becoming safer rather than more dangerous, say researchers, despite the anxieties caused by such high-profile incidents as the massacre at Columbine high school last month.

"The facts are that schools remain safer than the streets and many American homes, sadly," said Kathleen Fisher of Pennsylvania State University.

Speaking at the American Psychiatric Association, Ms Fisher said there had been a decline in the number of school murders during the Nineties, despite a number of well-publicised incidents.

"Americans are sickened by the spectre of kid-on-kid shootings," she said, but that should not mask the overall reduction in school gun deaths.

In 1992-93, there were 55 pupils murdered in school shootings, with 51 in 1993-94; 20 in 1994-95; 35 in 1995-96; 25 in 1996-97 and 40 in 1997-98. This year's murder rate has reached 24.

The American Psychiatric Association also heard suggestions about which factors might influence such gun attacks.

Lois Flaherty of the University of Maryland said that small class sizes and the enforcement of school rules were often characteristics of schools with a low level of violence.

According to Dr Flaherty, the profile of children most likely to commit violent attacks is of a male pupil with a disrupted home life, a history of neglect or abuse and a record of poor academic performance.

While the academics pointed to a gradual reduction in school murders, there have been a number of violent incidents in the wake of the Littleton shootings.

Although it's not dated, it sounds like its form almost 10 years ago. It's 2008, give us some recent data! :blink:

Although it's not dated, it sounds like its form almost 10 years ago. It's 2008, give us some recent data! :blink:

2008 is only 2 months old.

FBI data is usually 3 years behind if not more.

Marius, You are right on saying if someone had been armed maybe they could have saved some people. I think this is the answer to this school shooting problem. Bet if a shooter came out and someone in the audience pulled a gun and started shooting back, maybe that would make the next nutcase think twice before they decided to open fire on innocent people. Wish I could carry a gun around. Sure would feel safer.

You dont understand. This last guy killed himself. He was prepared to die. He didnt care if someone was going to shoot back. People with guns that are responsiboe are not the ones shooting people but the laws concerning guns make it too easy for the kooks to get their hands on them.

You dont understand. This last guy killed himself. He was prepared to die. He didnt care if someone was going to shoot back. People with guns that are responsiboe are not the ones shooting people but the laws concerning guns make it too easy for the kooks to get their hands on them.

Gun laws will not stop this from happening. Gun laws only keep guns out of the hands of honest citizens. Psychos and criminals will always find a way to obtain a weapon.

People - What are you saying? Should 13 year olds have a gun in my Middle School class? I think not. You should agree if you think about it.
No, thirteen year old kids shouldn't carry guns.

But the teachers should. It levels the playing field because some 13 year olds DO carry guns.

As soon as the kid wigs out, pump a dozen rounds into them.

At least taze the little puke.

Guest bernie goetz

you're missing the point. if a responsible citizen was armed, possibly the carnage would have been less. if these monsters are engaged immediatley, instead of having leisure time to kill everyone, they will not kill as many people. the lady at colorado saved hundreds of lives at her church by engaging the shooter. it's still a sad story but if you can lessen the deaths why wouldn't you?

Archived