Spectrum planning to drop 23 channels

Old Rec Park Rat

I happened to be surfing the tube today and saw an interesting scroll running on Spike T.V. . It said that Spectrum was planning on dropping 23 channels owned by Viacom. CMT, Mtv,Bet,Nickelodeon,VH! and some other Nick channels .Viacom says that the cable company would be able to lower the rates for customers if they would sign a deal but it says no. I keek seeing ads on F.B. for a antenna that can pick up t.v .signals over the air that are sent out by cable companies and it would be worth it get one . And I thought Time Warner were crooks. And more good news came out today. My boss got a letter from the other major rip off in the area ,Press/Sun Bulletin. He said that they are upping the subscription rate fro 33.00 to 55.oo. We only get the Sunday paper and our letter said ours was going up to 22.00 a month. I will go to the store and pay 12.00 a month . Why do I need to pay an extra 10.00 a mth. when the paper isn't worth 1.50 an issue. No news,all ads ,no timely articles on sports. If a game or race ends after 5 p.m. you won't see it till 2 days later if you're lucky. Check out "keepviacom.com and read the story.

I happened to be surfing the tube today and saw an interesting scroll running on Spike T.V. . It said that Spectrum was planning on dropping 23 channels owned by Viacom. CMT, Mtv,Bet,Nickelodeon,VH! and some other Nick channels .Viacom says that the cable company would be able to lower the rates for customers if they would sign a deal but it says no. I keek seeing ads on F.B. for a antenna that can pick up t.v .signals over the air that are sent out by cable companies and it would be worth it get one . And I thought Time Warner were crooks. And more good news came out today. My boss got a letter from the other major rip off in the area ,Press/Sun Bulletin. He said that they are upping the subscription rate fro 33.00 to 55.oo. We only get the Sunday paper and our letter said ours was going up to 22.00 a month. I will go to the store and pay 12.00 a month . Why do I need to pay an extra 10.00 a mth. when the paper isn't worth 1.50 an issue. No news,all ads ,no timely articles on sports. If a game or race ends after 5 p.m. you won't see it till 2 days later if you're lucky. Check out "keepviacom.com and read the story.

Spectrum AKA Speculum Sucks!!!! I dumped them back in April after being a cable subscriber for 51 continuous years! I switched to Plexxicom Fiber Optic which is now in place in many parts of our area. You have to call them for availability since it is not advertised on their website. I get my TV from a streaming provider, Directvnow in my case but there are several you need to check them all out and compare to see which is best for your needs. I get me telephone VOIP from Voipo which offers 2 years service for flat rate $149.00. I now have better service and pay less money. BTW... once Speculum drops Viacom you will also lose A&E along with Spike and several other channels. Don't be fooled..there are options!

This is just the same old rigamarole that we saw dozens of times with TWC. They get into a spat over finances, they cry foul and whine about it for a couple months, then they reach an agreement.

...not that I care either way. I only have cable because they offered me a screaming deal, and I only watch the pay channels like HBO (mostly Netflix nowadays). The second Speculum starts raising rates on me, I'll cut the cord again.

I have switched to Directv now - the streaming version of directv (no dish). I use an antenna for local channels. The service includes access to network apps for most networks in your package. It’s not perfect but overall has been a good move. If there were choices for internet providers I’d dump spectrum entirely.

Spectrum AKA Speculum Sucks!!!! I dumped them back in April after being a cable subscriber for 51 continuous years! I switched to Plexxicom Fiber Optic which is now in place in many parts of our area. You have to call them for availability since it is not advertised on their website. I get my TV from a streaming provider, Directvnow in my case but there are several you need to check them all out and compare to see which is best for your needs. I get me telephone VOIP from Voipo which offers 2 years service for flat rate $149.00. I now have better service and pay less money. BTW... once Speculum drops Viacom you will also lose A&E along with Spike and several other channels. Don't be fooled..there are options!

Let us know how you like Plex customer service!

I dropped TWC/Spectrum in August, switched to SlingTV, and bought an antenna for local channels. I miss live FoxNews (catch it a day later via app on Amazon prime - I have a Firestick), but am loving One America News Network (thru KlowdTV).

I haven't read the details on this one, but this happens with all cable companies. They negotiate for the channels in packages and when it's time for the cable company to renegotiate with the provider, the provider will start advertising directly to their customers to put pressure on them to accept a deal favorable to the provider.

The odds that the negotiations will actually fail and that you'll lose the channels are almost - almost - zero, they're mainly just terrorizing the customers to make them call Spectrum and threaten to quit if they can't watch their "Remodel My Wife" or whatever A&E runs these days, so Viacom can squeeze another nickel per viewer out of Spectrum. However, it can happen.

Either way, ESPN is the most subsidized channel on cable, by far. They charge a very high rate to the cable company and the costs are spread across cable customers who don't watch it because their audience will never pay enough to justify it as a standalone pay channel but will quit without it. If you don't need that, well, I've had a Roku for years and wouldn't go back, only use the antenna very rarely.

$55/mo for the Press? You can get the Wall Street Journal delivered for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I never heard anything about the New York State Public Service Commission approving the Spectrum-TWC merger. I listen to local news once or twice a day or read a paper if I go out for breakfast. I read about the approval vote after the fact along with all the hype about expanded internet in outlying areas etc. Did I miss out on public announcements about the upcoming PSC vote and the open petition period or was it just very quiet? I do remember a lot of noise about a possible TWC/Comcast merger. You could not possibly miss knowing about that one. I think it was denied at the federal level because a merger would create one company virtually controlling an entire industry.

All these screen crawls are about is easing the public into the reality of being taken advantage of again. Both content providers and cable companies know almost all the shee customers will make a few bleating sounds complaints and pay up. It's kinda sorta like buying insurance from my good friend ..... Vinnie Goombatz..... youse nose wadda I means ..... so youse windows don't get broke......... or youse hot water heater don't blow up...... stuff like dat...... say waaaaa....yer kid's bike? Dats only protected in r next tier of service.... if ya wasn't so cheep, da wheel mite b still strait ta'day.

The difference between cable and Vinnie? Vinnie lets you know he is a strong arm criminal. He doesn't try to hide it.

I cut the cord two years ago and don't miss it or Vinnie at all.

Archived