New York Proposal 2, Pension Forfeiture for Convicted Officials Amendment (2017), has a lot of politicians nervous right now!

Gordon Hoyt

New York Proposal 2, Pension Forfeiture for Convicted Officials Amendment (2017), has a lot of politicians nervous right now!

What a landslide it was, Yes votes 2,318,077 73% & No votes 863,708 27%.

The taxpayers have spoken and are tired of the corrupt politicians and the outcome shows it.

Watch what happens after the first of the year.

Judges now will be tougher on these officials because they will want to be re-elected themselves.

2,318,077 votes is a lot of people to piss off with just a slap on the wrist as in the past.

The amendment would define public officer to mean the following:

An official filling an elected office within New York;

A person holding an office that is filled by appointment by the New York Governor,

whether or not that appointment has to be confirmed by the Senate;

A county, city, town, or village administrator, manager or equivalent position;

The head of any state or local government department, division, board, commission, bureau,

public benefit corporation, or public authority in New York who is vested with authority,

direction, and control over that entity;

The chief fiscal officer or treasurer of a municipal corporation or political subdivision

in New York;

A judge or justice of the Unified Court System; and

A legislative, executive, or judicial employee who directly assists in the formulation of

legislation, rules, regulations, policy, or judicial decision-making and who is designated by law as a policy-maker.

The amendment will apply only to crimes committed on or after January 1, 2018.

Amendment Design - Proposal 2 allows judges, following a court hearing,

to reduce or revoke the public pension of a public officer convicted of a felony related to

his or her official duties. Judges consider the severity of the crime in determining whether to

reduce or revoke the officer's public pension. They also consider whether pension forfeiture would

create undue hardship for the convicted officers spouse, children, and other dependents.

The measure defines public officers as elected officials, governor-appointed officials,

municipal administrators and managers, heads of government departments, boards, and commissions,

state and local chief fiscal officers and treasurers, judges and justices of the unified court system,

and employees of the state designated as policymakers. Proposal 2 applies to any crimes committed on or

after January 1, 2018.

Is it just me or did this being on the ballot fly under the radar bigtime? The concon one seemed to dominate the news. In fact I thought that was one of the reasons people were trying to sell the concon. I pay more attention to national and world news so maybe I just missed it.

Archived