Safe Staffing

ginger

Good morning. Here is the "plan" the NYS legislature has come up with to solve staffing issues. I have not read this in its entirety but IMO it's just not going to be practical or practicable. What I did see was more language regarding "minimum staffing" instead of safe or optimal staffing. Unacceptable. I will comment further when I get an hour to go through this thoroughly. Have at it, and have a great week. :) 

So I was out west last night.  Three  35 bed units...They only had 1 nurses assistant and 1 nurse to toilet, wash and put to bed all of those people plus HS nourishments. One of the nurses was the RN supervisor who was already an hour late on med pass. That means, every single med she passed was a med error. 

This facility doesn't have enough regular staff to form a freaking committee. 

5 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

There is an article on the front page of today's PSB about staffing in NYS.

Thanks, I just got home but I'll go out for the press later...you must have read my mind because I already heard about the new minimum staffing hours...increased to 3.5 hrs/patient /day  from I think it's 3.25hrs. This is not an improvement, this is nothing. I don't know how many times I have to say the words "MINIMUM" and "STAFFING" do not belong in the same sentence. Minimal staffing means minimal services and slave labor.

Minimal staffing is certainly not conducive toward BEST PRACTICES.