Is Westside of Bing still pretty safe?

Guest Guest

Guest Ole Blue Eyes

I don't think so. There are areas I wouldn't be caught dead in at night. Towards downtown has gotten pretty scummy over the years (like around Cavanaugh's).

Guest non-pedophile

i walk my dog everynight up and down Bennett, Johnson,Lathrop,Leroy,Lincoln,Davis,Seminary,College,Chestnut,St.John and have never seen anything that i thought was unsafe or dangerous. The westside is as safe as any neighbourhood in endicott or vestal and way more safe than J.C.. obviously the closer you get to downtown and Main St. it gets any little more sketchy.

I don't think so. There are areas I wouldn't be caught dead in at night. Towards downtown has gotten pretty scummy over the years (like around Cavanaugh's).

this isnt 1950 anymore young punks hanging-out does not constitute danger.....most of the kids liotering outside Cavanaughs i know and coach. they are just looking to get out of there house.

i walk my dog everynight up and down Bennett, Johnson,Lathrop,Leroy,Lincoln,Davis,Seminary,College,Chestnut,St.John and have never seen anything that i thought was unsafe or dangerous. The westside is as safe as any neighbourhood in endicott or vestal and way more safe than J.C.. obviously the closer you get to downtown and Main St. it gets any little more sketchy.

Agree. These areas mentioned above are safe.

TWS

The only thing I ever saw that was dangerous over near Bennett and Johnson was Solak walking his dog..

I live on Matthews Street and our house has been broken into 2 times. My next door neighbors house two times as well. I know at least 3 other homes in our neighborhood that have been broken into.

I lived between Crandall Street and Jarvis for a little over a year. Last I heard, this was considered the "West Side."

It wasn't safe by any means on that side of Main Street.

Also, try going to the park (Rec Park) during the summer. In my experience, all the trashy parents would let their little ones go to the park alone, and there would be little herds of four-through-ten year-olds, all alone, pushing each other around and yelling things like, "yo, I'mma f'in' cut yo' a**" every ten seconds. The ignorance and the violence is horrific. You ever see a ten-year-old shove an 18-month-old baby down a flight of playground stairs because she walked too close to your "peeps"? And the ten-year-old's mom was nowhere to be seen?

Maybe I was a sheltered kid or something, but at ten, I wasn't allowed to go wandering the streets/parks/whatever, without adult supervision... Certainly, at 4-6, parents who let their kids just take off on their own in the park are morons...

The houses near the park are nice, clean places with lots of working professional people around. But you're sitting right next to Crack Town, USA... I'm absolutely not making a statement about race or about poverty here (many people here like to take it in those directions), but merely about trashy people and criminals.

Also, go to one of those sex offender registries online and type in 13905. They only notify every third or fourth house on some streets, when a sex offender moves into the area. I got one; my three closest neighbors did not. Don't go by what's in your mailbox.

The police have given up on that area completely. More than once, I used to see home-made signs about so-and-so, who had raped somebody, or so-and-so, who was a pervert and a wife-beater.

You want to tell me the West Side is safe? Ask my daughter if she wants to move back to her old house, and watch her face crumple. Safe? Try walking your kid a few short blocks to her daycare, and pass through the pool of blood from Kennedys' latest knife fight. Try having drunk strangers beat on your door at 2 AM, demanding that you let them in so that they can teach you some "respe't." Try coming home and finding some creep has broken into your house and is sleeping in your bed. Try saving up money to get yourself OUT of there, only to find that yet another creep has broken in and stolen it. And god forbid you report any of this, because the police don't give a damn, CPS doesn't give a damn, and snitches get stitches. Crime has a much longer reach than the law in that area.

So yeah, move right in. You'll love it.

Guest non-pedophiloe
I lived between Crandall Street and Jarvis for a little over a year. Last I heard, this was considered the "West Side."

Also, try going to the park (Rec Park) during the summer. In my experience, all the trashy parents would let their little ones go to the park alone, and there would be little herds of four-through-ten year-olds, all alone, pushing each other around and yelling things like, "yo, I'mma f'in' cut yo' a**" every ten seconds. The ignorance and the violence is horrific. You ever see a ten-year-old shove an 18-month-old baby down a flight of playground stairs because she walked too close to your "peeps"? And the ten-year-old's mom was nowhere to be seen?

Maybe I was a sheltered kid or something, but at ten, I wasn't allowed to go wandering the streets/parks/whatever, without adult supervision... Certainly, at 4-6, parents who let their kids just take off on their own in the park are morons...

The houses near the park are nice, clean places with lots of working professional people around. But you're sitting right next to Crack Town, USA... I'm absolutely not making a statement about race or about poverty here (many people here like to take it in those directions), but merely about trashy people and criminals.

Also, go to one of those sex offender registries online and type in 13905. They only notify every third or fourth house on some streets, when a sex offender moves into the area. I got one; my three closest neighbors did not. Don't go by what's in your mailbox.

The police have given up on that area completely. More than once, I used to see home-made signs about so-and-so, who had raped somebody, or so-and-so, who was a pervert and a wife-beater.

You want to tell me the West Side is safe? Ask my daughter if she wants to move back to her old house, and watch her face crumple. Safe? Try walking your kid a few short blocks to her daycare, and pass through the pool of blood from Kennedys' latest knife fight. Try having drunk strangers beat on your door at 2 AM, demanding that you let them in so that they can teach you some "respe't." Try coming home and finding some creep has broken into your house and is sleeping in your bed. Try saving up money to get yourself OUT of there, only to find that yet another creep has broken in and stolen it. And god forbid you report any of this, because the police don't give a damn, CPS doesn't give a damn, and snitches get stitches. Crime has a much longer reach than the law in that area.

crandall st is not the westside! Thats main st area. and if you did live there with your little girl you must be some kind of loser....only welfare losers and drug dealers live in that are. which are you? every house in that area is literally falling apart. the people who live in that are try to pass themselves of as westsiders but you are not.

I've been there! I had some kid push my kid off the play area at the park and one of those stupid woodchips went through my childs eyelid! I panicked and scooped my child up running for the car to go to the emergency room and the offending kid was hauling butt down the street headed for home! The kid couldn't have been more than 7! Mine was only 2 at the time.

Ask my eldest son if HE wants to move back and watch his lip quiver and his eyes tear up. He would rather live in our car than have to attend West Middle again! (When we lived on the "west" side our home was also broken into, so was our car!)

BINGHAMTON CRIME STATISTICS

TYPE 2007 2006

Firearm-related 17 20

Murder 3 1

Rape 16 9

Robbery 63 63

Aggravated assault 117 132

Burglary 265 241

Larceny 1,685 1,841

Motor vehicle theft 36 44

Source: Division of Criminal Justice Services

crandall st is not the westside! Thats main st area. and if you did live there with your little girl you must be some kind of loser....only welfare losers and drug dealers live in that are. which are you? every house in that area is literally falling apart. the people who live in that are try to pass themselves of as westsiders but you are not.

I lived in that area (Oak Street, then Chapin) several years earlier, and it was really quite nice. When I had a child, I decided to move back to the Binghamton area to be nearer to family. I didn't have a lot of time to be choosy about apartments, and I didn't have much money to work with. I had a job, but not the best in the world, since I'd taken so much time off after having a baby. I couldn't afford the nicest mansion in Vestal or anything. I chose to live in my old neighborhood, just a couple of blocks from my old place, which had been very, very nice. It was an uninformed decision, certainly, but I'm no drug dealer, and certainly no loser. I got out, and I got my kid out, and if I'm very lucky, we'll never have to go back.

I've been there! I had some kid push my kid off the play area at the park and one of those stupid woodchips went through my childs eyelid! I panicked and scooped my child up running for the car to go to the emergency room and the offending kid was hauling butt down the street headed for home! The kid couldn't have been more than 7! Mine was only 2 at the time.

Ask my eldest son if HE wants to move back and watch his lip quiver and his eyes tear up. He would rather live in our car than have to attend West Middle again! (When we lived on the "west" side our home was also broken into, so was our car!)

we live by lourdes and my son goes to west middle, ive been in the school during the day we have no reservations at all about the safety of our son. as far as break ins in cars and houses they happen in all communities...endicott, jc, endwell, and even vestal. so if your kid is tearing up maybe you should tuffen that little weirdo up a little bit. let him play sports and not take ballet classes!

I lived in that area (Oak Street, then Chapin) several years earlier, and it was really quite nice. When I had a child, I decided to move back to the Binghamton area to be nearer to family. I didn't have a lot of time to be choosy about apartments, and I didn't have much money to work with. I had a job, but not the best in the world, since I'd taken so much time off after having a baby. I couldn't afford the nicest mansion in Vestal or anything. I chose to live in my old neighborhood, just a couple of blocks from my old place, which had been very, very nice. It was an uninformed decision, certainly, but I'm no drug dealer, and certainly no loser. I got out, and I got my kid out, and if I'm very lucky, we'll never have to go back.

just as i fugured another welfare case!

we live by lourdes and my son goes to west middle, ive been in the school during the day we have no reservations at all about the safety of our son. as far as break ins in cars and houses they happen in all communities...endicott, jc, endwell, and even vestal. so if your kid is tearing up maybe you should tuffen that little weirdo up a little bit. let him play sports and not take ballet classes!

Stupidest BCV Post of the Month Award.

Congrats.

BINGHAMTON CRIME STATISTICS

TYPE 2007 2006

Firearm-related 17 20

Murder 3 1

Rape 16 9

Robbery 63 63

Aggravated assault 117 132

Burglary 265 241

Larceny 1,685 1,841

Motor vehicle theft 36 44

Source: Division of Criminal Justice Services

Honestly those stats aren't too bad, I feel Binghamton (especially the westside) is very safe compared to many places of its size. Take for example Atlantic City. AC has 4,000 less people than Binghamton, but has about 4 times the crime.

Guest Latrine Jenkem

The single best indicator for how save a neigborhood is is the amount of blacks living in that neighboehood. The greater the number of blacks, the more unsafe it is. That

comes from goverment statistics.

Archived