Kids Tresspassing on property

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
Not long ago a similar topic came up about trespassing.

The one post I remember was about putting strips of wood with upturned nails alongside the inner length of the fence.

I vaguely remember someone saying it was illegal to do so, but it seems odd that it would be.

Now THAT would keep trespassers out, at least after one time.

I would also leave you open to a lawsuit

Guest Guest
Not long ago a similar topic came up about trespassing.

The one post I remember was about putting strips of wood with upturned nails alongside the inner length of the fence.

I vaguely remember someone saying it was illegal to do so, but it seems odd that it would be.

Now THAT would keep trespassers out, at least after one time.

Years ago I helped run a business that had a break in downtown.The thieves came in through a window .We decided to put up wood planks with pointed dowels in them,kind of like punji sticks.The cops that came to investigate the break ins saw them and told us we could be sued if they got hurt breaking in! So we stayed there with weapons until they tried it again. Unfortunately we didnt fire on them, but the owner chased one of them down by the Holiday Inn and beat the tar out of him. He was charged with assault! Got to love the logic in that.

Guest Guest
Two boys about 12 years old climbed over my chain link fence (3 1/2 feet high) into my back yard and tried stealing some stuff. My question is: If they are on my property can I do anything at all about it??? If I grab them or anything would I be arrested??? They took off before I could call the police. I live on west side of Binghamton.

If you find out who they are, you should take them (their parents) to court. Win nominal damages of $1 (because they didnt't take anything you can get compensary damages). Then if they do it over and over you can win punitive damages and own their money for life until you get paid upwards of 20,000. Good Luck.

Two boys about 12 years old climbed over my chain link fence (3 1/2 feet high) into my back yard and tried stealing some stuff. My question is: If they are on my property can I do anything at all about it??? If I grab them or anything would I be arrested??? They took off before I could call the police. I live on west side of Binghamton.

We now have cameras going 24/7 burned out one VCR recorder already have 10 security lights that is 5 with two 100 watt bulbs each. NYSEG has to put on another generator when we fire up our security system. Our cameras are bearing fruit. I can almost guarantee that if you do something to these kids you will be in a lot of trouble. One time I hooked up a solenoid to my water hose and hooked that up to my security light. When the light came on so did the water.

All in All you are better off with a big dog but make sure you have signs on your fence beware of dog. Good luck

Guest slowpoke

Try putting a fighting cock in your yard, it will spur the hell out of them trespassers

All these ideas about setting up booby traps sound good, until the $tupid kids jump the fence again and hurt themselves, then their parents go and sue the homeowner for all they can, instead of dealing with their bratty theiving children. Sad, but that's how our society is today.

Best thing to do is lock up your stuff to make it harder to grab, and when finding yourself in these situations use some good old fashioned intimidation... opening a window, pointing out a rifle (unloaded) and shouting "get off my property or I'll put a cap in your DELETED" works well. Make sure you have no trespassing signs posted on your fence.

There is a chance that the kids will tell their parents you threatened them, but if you have the signs in place and you did no actual harm and did not actually ever fire a round, there is no legal course they can take against you. You do have the right to defend yourself and your property from theft and violation of posted signs. Maybe before threatening to shoot a simple, "Hey, I have you kids on video and I'm turning it in to the cops" will also make a statement. In the event when pushed they become violent, use whatever means necessary at that point...... a good louisville slugger always works well!

-reflux-

Guest Guest
You expect us to believe there will be no recourse for sticking a shotgun out a window, and threatening to shoot it at someone?

I wondered about that statement, too.

I would think menacing would be the least of the possible charges. And if you're pointing it at kids, there must be other charges that are applicable.

Guest Guest
You expect us to believe there will be no recourse for sticking a shotgun out a window, and threatening to shoot it at someone?

I think you can walk around with shotguns and rifles... The Black Panthers do this all the time and can't be prosecuted!! You can't say prayers out loud in schools or say payers at graduations but you can walk around with shotguns.

Guest Guest
I think you can walk around with shotguns and rifles... The Black Panthers do this all the time and can't be prosecuted!! You can't say prayers out loud in schools or say payers at graduations but you can walk around with shotguns.

The Black Panthers????

What??????????????

Guest Guest

Black Panther Party

By Jeff Franks

Houston, Texas, June 16— The debate over the pending execution of Shaka Sankofa (Gary Graham), a black man who many believe was wrongly convicted, heated up on Friday when a dozen gun-toting black militants staged a protest outside the Texas Republican Party’s state convention. The protest turned into a brief confrontation when one of the members of the New Black Panther Party, who arrived at the protest in an open-top Hummer stretch limousine, shoved a convention delegate who shouted that the protesters were “evil persons.”

The militants, most of them wearing black military style uniforms and carrying rifles or shotguns, demanded that Graham receive a new trial and that Texas Gov. George W. Bush, the presumptive Republican presidential candidate, declare a moratorium on capital punishment. Displaying guns in public is not illegal in Texas except in certain instances.

“We demand an immediate moratorium on the white supremacist, racist and classist death penalty in the state of Texas and across the country,” said Quanell X, the group’s leader

Not saying people may try and get you arrested or in trouble, but you DO have the right to defend yourself and your property. So if you have no trespassing signs up and some hoodlums are over your fence, on your property physically taking your items, chances are if all you did is point a gun, not ever fire and tell them to get the h*ll out, you wouldn't be charged with anything, and if you were you could certainly argue your point easily enough in court..... what would the other parties complaint be... geeze officer, as we were over the fence stealing this guys stuff he threatened to shoot us"..... hmmm... menacing would be more when you just point a gun at passers-by for no reason, or during a fight or argument where you are not defending your home you brandish a weapon.... I believe most Americans have the RIGHT to bear arms in defence of their homes.. it is in the Constitution ya know!

Guest Guest

If the kids do get hurt on your property, even if accidentally (this also applies to ALL ages, whether trespassing or not), they can sue you. That's why banks won't lend for mortgages without property insurance.

Guest IDGAF
If the kids do get hurt on your property, even if accidentally (this also applies to ALL ages, whether trespassing or not), they can sue you. That's why banks won't lend for mortgages without property insurance.

Yes, They can sue you, but they'll likely lose. You see, the state has laws against people making a profit during the commission of a crime, and that's where it pretty much stops.

If they get hurt just walking through, they can sue, but the return has limitations.

People that think they can collect a lifetime of dough by simply getting hurt on someone else's property, insured or not, are sadly mistaken.

Archived