Kids Tresspassing on property

Guest Guest

Two boys about 12 years old climbed over my chain link fence (3 1/2 feet high) into my back yard and tried stealing some stuff. My question is: If they are on my property can I do anything at all about it??? If I grab them or anything would I be arrested??? They took off before I could call the police. I live on west side of Binghamton.

Two boys about 12 years old climbed over my chain link fence (3 1/2 feet high) into my back yard and tried stealing some stuff. My question is: If they are on my property can I do anything at all about it??? If I grab them or anything would I be arrested??? They took off before I could call the police. I live on west side of Binghamton.

Since you were outnumbered I'm sure you felt threatened and could've taken action to protect yourself and your stuff especially if you think you see a weapon. It doesn't matter if you actully see one as long as you think you do. Get my drift?

Not long ago a similar topic came up about trespassing.

The one post I remember was about putting strips of wood with upturned nails alongside the inner length of the fence.

I vaguely remember someone saying it was illegal to do so, but it seems odd that it would be.

Now THAT would keep trespassers out, at least after one time.

Good advice given on taking a pic w/ a cell, if possible. Unfortunately, I'd lock up as much as possible; i.e. in the garage, since I was told that several years ago by BPD, when some renter's kids tried to steal my lawnmower.

However, if you keep your eyes and ears open, such as where they run when you scare them off, file that info as well, for the police, because they'll cruise the neighborhood looking for more victims...they're certainly not done yet.

I'd also talk to as many of your neighbors as possible, and let them know what you saw, and to warn them to be on the look out.

We had some trash roaming around for several mo's, from one street over, and one was finally arrested a few mo's ago.

Fingers crossed, that particular problem is gone for the time being.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest
SHOOT FIRST ASK QUESTIONS LATER

I wish NY would get better laws like that. My dad who lives in FL shot someone out of self defense and didn't get hit with any retarded laws :angry:

If you lock up everything, they probably won't come back. Consider the value of the items before you react. It's very difficult to justify killing a 12 year old for stealing a typical yard item. As much as you'd love to pound the tar out of some kid for stealing a plant, it really doesn't make a lot of sense. Lock up everything you don't want to disappear, put up a higher fence if they keep going over the one you have, and don't resort to the rocket launcher until they walk through the garden!

Guest I hate punks
If you lock up everything, they probably won't come back. Consider the value of the items before you react. It's very difficult to justify killing a 12 year old for stealing a typical yard item. As much as you'd love to pound the tar out of some kid for stealing a plant, it really doesn't make a lot of sense. Lock up everything you don't want to disappear, put up a higher fence if they keep going over the one you have, and don't resort to the rocket launcher until they walk through the garden!

Cap their PUNK (DELETED)

Guest Guest
dead kids don,t steal if your not part of the solution you are part of the problem

Did you at least have enough sense to make the PD aware of this?

Let your neighbors know what's going on in the neighborhood.

Get a taller fence. Make sure everything is locked up. Get a dog, prefereably a big one. Make sure if you have a gate on the fence that it is locked.

Put a length of barbed wire just at the top of the fence. If it's a wooden stockade you can tack it right along the top edge.

Remember out of sight out of mind so lock your things locked up in a shed.

The biggest thing to remember is to keep an eye out for the dirtbags. When you see them call the cops.

Keep doing it.

Worse comes to worse, get a security camera, tape the scumbags, call the cops and give them the tape.

Good luck.

Guest just my thought
Not long ago a similar topic came up about trespassing.

The one post I remember was about putting strips of wood with upturned nails alongside the inner length of the fence.

I vaguely remember someone saying it was illegal to do so, but it seems odd that it would be.

Now THAT would keep trespassers out, at least after one time.

If a child gets on your property and gets hurt, it is the responsibility of the land owner. It doesn't matter if you have your yard blocked by an iron gate, children are not responsible for their actions.

Guest Guest

I was driving on Holland St. yesterday. Two kids on a dirt bike (no plates, no helmet) came speeding down the hill and didn't slow down as I pulled out into the street. They were intentionally trying to intimidate me.

I called BPD on them. I sure hope they got caught.

Guest Guest
I was driving on Holland St. yesterday. Two kids on a dirt bike (no plates, no helmet) came speeding down the hill and didn't slow down as I pulled out into the street. They were intentionally trying to intimidate me.

I called BPD on them. I sure hope they got caught.

They go up and down Holland, Baxter, Hazel, etc...all the time on that dirt bike. I've also seen them on 4-wheelers. You'd think they were in the country in a field vs. in the middle of the city in the street the way they drive those things. One of these days they're going to get hurt and you can almost guarantee their parents will blame it on someone other than themselves & the kids.

Are we forgetting these kids were only 12 yrs. old? Go outside and scare the crap out of them by yelling and screaming about calling the police.

They'll be intimidated enough to not come back. Be the adult in this matter and guide them away from trespassing and theft.

And yes, lock up any valuables you own in case someone older and bigger tries to steal them.

I wouldn't necessarily count on that, C...we had some kid's living in a rental up the street who were Class A Hellions, albeit only something like 4 and 8?

The boy was well on his way to a life of crime, and absolutely fearless.

Stole the landlord's tools...tried to steal my lawnmower...god only knows what else.

One of the neighbor's saw him walking up the street, carrying a 6-pack.

Shortly after they were evicted, the Father was listed in the PSB under Binghamton's Most Wanted, or whatever that's called when they post pictures.

Gave all of us a real warm fuzzy. <_<

Guest Punk Kid

Punch, then shoot their dumb DELETED :blink::huh::angry:

Guest Now this is funny
A poison ivy booby trap works wonders. It's also quite entertaining. I tried it when I had a problem with thugs cutting across my yard. Hasn't been a problem since.

NOW THIS IS FUNNY :D

Archived