How did You do it?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I have been a two pack a day smoker for 30 years. I have many health issues due to this and I just am having a terrible time quiting. I am trying to smoke one every 2 hours which is cutting Me down to 75% but I am struggeling between the 2 hours till My next one. Mentally I am exhausted from the urge and I need advise from any of You as to how You did it. This is a matter of life and death for Me. My Dr. gave Me a prescription for (Chantix) but I'm hearing about all the suicide attempts and thoughts that many people are suing the company that makes this drug, and it isn't on TV any more (the one with the turtle) so I hope someone has a succes story and how They got there, HELP!!!!!!!!! :(

I quit by deciding not to smoke anymore. I quit because I found I couldn't breathe very well, and realized I'd die soon if I didn't. I got tired of having no energy, no stamina, and no brain power. I didn't want to be smoke-smelly any more. I was tired of seeing friends die, and didn't want to be like them. I smoked for 31 years, and simply stopped. No patches, no doctor, no help.

But, if you do need a hand with it, take a tour of a nursing home and check out all of the fairly young people being wheeled around with tubes so they can breathe. Look at the staff that have to clean, cook and care for those people. Imagine yourself in that wheelchair watching people your own age come and go, while you just sit there. Forget about going anywhere, doing anything. Forget about enjoying life.

It's really not that hard once you put your mind to it. Simply decide that the last one was indeed the last one......ever.

Good Luck

Guest Guest RN
I have been a two pack a day smoker for 30 years. I have many health issues due to this and I just am having a terrible time quiting. I am trying to smoke one every 2 hours which is cutting Me down to 75% but I am struggeling between the 2 hours till My next one. Mentally I am exhausted from the urge and I need advise from any of You as to how You did it. This is a matter of life and death for Me. My Dr. gave Me a prescription for (Chantix) but I'm hearing about all the suicide attempts and thoughts that many people are suing the company that makes this drug, and it isn't on TV any more (the one with the turtle) so I hope someone has a succes story and how They got there, HELP!!!!!!!!! :(

Chantix works great for the majority of folks who are on it. If you have prior mental health issues then the suicide rate may be higher. I work in Mental health..and UHS being a smoke free enviroment, have seen awesome results from this med.

Give it a try...good luck yo you

Guest guest

My mom, a 3 pack a day smoker for 40 yrs QUIT on chantix. I hope this provides some insight and insiration to you.

Guest Quest
My mom, a 3 pack a day smoker for 40 yrs QUIT on chantix. I hope this provides some insight and insiration to you.

that would be Inspiration ;)

Just a note - if youve ever been on antidepressant (IE PAXIL) and had adverse effects getting off of it .. Chantix is not for you ...

Talk to your DR big time first .. many adverse effects are coming out after the fact.. yes it helps people quit .. but how about the ones that it had ill effect on ..

sorry to be a kill joy and a smoker myself that wants to quit..

Guest Guest
Chantix works great for the majority of folks who are on it. If you have prior mental health issues then the suicide rate may be higher. I work in Mental health..and UHS being a smoke free environment, have seen awesome results from this med.

Give it a try...good luck yo you

BEEEE-U--TEE-FULL !!!!

Let's see.... Do I want to light up a cig or blow my DELETED brains out??

Welcome to this whole screwed up world of commercials and drugs. Jarvik got fired because he mislead the people on his Dr status and Lipitor. Now if you want to quit tabbaky, do you want to quit or go insane and kill yourself??? Jeez.... That's hard. Can I see what's behind door number three???

This *IS* a prime example of what is wrong in America today. Have a problem???? Take a pill !!!

There is no individual responsibility anymore.

If you want to quit those cigs just stop !!! Put your mind into it and don't pop a pill.

Those pills *ARE* worse than those butts you light up !!!!

I had a Doc put me on lipitor.My leg was killing me. Oh, let's consider another drug for that pain. WAIT AN DELETED MINUTE !!!! Guess what??? The side affects of statins *WAS* the cause and affect of that pain !!!

But WHOOOAAAAA.... The Doc wants to try another statin. Sorry.... NO !!!!!

All you see on TV isn't true and that includes all those DELETED up drug commercials !!!

Don't be mislead by the hype. That's big business. Your health is in ***YOUR*** hands. Not some commercial steeped in BS or even your supposedly up to date doctor.

Not all pills are good. Many more kill. Do *NOT* become a statistic because a commercail told you so !!!!

Signed - The Mole - and I stand by what I posted. I've felt the pain of a trumped up drug that did more harm than good.

Hey !! I just wanted to say that I did post that previous post.

Don't fall down on yourself.

No pill is going to do it.

If you want to do it completely you must do it on your own.

Rock-solid. Put your mind to it and WANT to quit.

The pills are bad. Listen up. I could turn it off or on.

How???

I looked into myself and said I wanted to do it.

Take that last cig. One last drag...

Look at it and say to yourself.... I AM LOOKING AT DEATH AND I WONT HAVE A PART OF IT!!!

Crush it out !!! Now....

The next day... Take a walk.... A good walk for a few blocks or whatever.

How do you feel? DO NOT OVERDO IT !!!

Do you know the best part of giving up cigarettes???

You will feel more alive in awhile.... More alert... Food does taste better.

You need to want to stop. That *IS* the secret. Not a pill.

In the long run.... What does it do for you??? How does it make you feel??

Do you really need it??? Why???

I don't know about you but it never really did squat for me. I turned it off or on....

Then I simply said it was crap and it didn't even matter.

Listen up... I want you to take that last butt.

Take it to the bathroom where there's some good light and a mirror.

Smell that smell.... Look into the mirror.

Ask yourself. Real hard.

Do I need this???

My husband?

My wife??

My children??

My grand children???

Is it really true that if I stop I can get a few more days of my life???

Why am I outside smoking this????

Why?????

Why????

Why????

Why????

With every puff... Life slips away but with every wiff of smoke of a butt put down.... you gain......

and in that moment you gain..........

you may.......

see......

the........

the.....

smile.....

of........

those......

you.......

love.

Is it worth it?

Put your heart into it.

Put your life into it.

You do not need a drug..........

You.......

need.........

to.........

know..........

love!!!!!

*AND LIFE*

GOOD LUCK !!!

My Dad quit at age 55 after 40 years of smoking both cigarettes and pipe tobacco. One day he just stopped and between stubbornness and willpower, never started again. He lived to the age of 82... did not die from lung cancer or heart disease, but Alzheimer's which affected the last 3 years of his life. My point is, if he hadn't stopped when he did, the outcome could have been alot different. My brother quit 2 years ago at the age of 50. I think he smoked about 35 years. He had a heart attack and almost died last June. He quit before the attack (a complication of a leaking valve), but again, the results could have been worse. He too quit "cold turkey". On the other hand, a coworker quit last March after using Chantix, and has not smoked since. I am quite sure that my friend was also taking an antidepressant at the same time and had no issues. It worked for that person, but may not for everyone. I do know that the will to quit has to be there, even with the medication. Like with any addiction, overeating, drugs, alcohol... one day at a time, one minute at a time if you have to. You can do it, we all have the potential and the ability. Good luck with your journey.

I smoked 3 packs a day and quit cold turkey about 8 years or so ago. Really tough but worth it if you stick with it. Good luck!!!!

I've been a smoker for as long as I can remember and have made my mind up to kick the habit.

Did a lot of reading and checking products out to see which might be best. Some of this stuff is so highly priced and over stated its not funny. Then one of the people I work with told me about the NYS program. Check Here I was given the info that comes with the kit to read over and some of what is written makes sense.

Never the less, I signed up online and expect to receive shortly.

Some things you should do.

Change Your Habits.

Example, don't smoke in your vehicle anymore. - remove all ash trays from your home. - get plenty of low cal hard candy. - if you have a habit of smoking more in one room then another, change your routine for that room you smoke more in.

They have a help line and give all kinds of good advise.

My start date is March 7. I am making changes slowly in my daily routine, plus have been trying to do other little idle things to keep hands busy (no pun intended).

Although the State only gives you 2 weeks worth, it's well worth it because during that time you will be able to really know if your serious about quiting and the first step is on the State, so why not give it a try.

One thing that helped me make up my mind was seeing a co-workers white gloves. She complained that she washed them three times and could not get the stains out from holding a cig between fingers. this got me to really thinking about what is in my system.

Like Sleepless, I hate doctors. They over charge and always seem to think they know your body better then you do. As we grow older, our bodies do change. Of course there are things you should go see a doctor about (Sleepless you really should) and then there are things we can do to mend ourselves.

I might even go to the next semmar when it comes to town again. It's like 50 bucks but it might be worth it because I do know a few people who went and it worked for them

It all boils down to your own personal WILL POWER !

Good Luck..

My Start Date to be smoke free is March 7th ....

;)

I've been a smoker for as long as I can remember and have made my mind up to kick the habit.

Did a lot of reading and checking products out to see which might be best. Some of this stuff is so highly priced and over stated its not funny. Then one of the people I work with told me about the NYS program. Check Here I was given the info that comes with the kit to read over and some of what is written makes sense.

Never the less, I signed up online and expect to receive shortly.

Some things you should do.

Change Your Habits.

Example, don't smoke in your vehicle anymore. - remove all ash trays from your home. - get plenty of low cal hard candy. - if you have a habit of smoking more in one room then another, change your routine for that room you smoke more in.

They have a help line and give all kinds of good advise.

My start date is March 7. I am making changes slowly in my daily routine, plus have been trying to do other little idle things to keep hands busy (no pun intended).

Although the State only gives you 2 weeks worth, it's well worth it because during that time you will be able to really know if your serious about quiting and the first step is on the State, so why not give it a try.

One thing that helped me make up my mind was seeing a co-workers white gloves. She complained that she washed them three times and could not get the stains out from holding a cig between fingers. this got me to really thinking about what is in my system.

Like Sleepless, I hate doctors. They over charge and always seem to think they know your body better then you do. As we grow older, our bodies do change. Of course there are things you should go see a doctor about (Sleepless you really should) and then there are things we can do to mend ourselves.

I might even go to the next semmar when it comes to town again. It's like 50 bucks but it might be worth it because I do know a few people who went and it worked for them

It all boils down to your own personal WILL POWER !

Good Luck..

My Start Date to be smoke free is March 7th ....

;)

Good advice Mouser! As for me, yes I hate doctors and won't visit one. I'm not a prescribed Scientologist, but I figure the good Lord put me here for a purpose, and He'll decide what's to become of me!

Set a date and stick to it. Keep a old nasty ashtray handy. Everytime you feel the urge to smoke, stick your face in the ashtray. You'll be so disgusted the urge will disapear. :blink: Also make sure you have something to do. Keep busy. Before your realize it the urge to smoke is gone. You'll feel better, you'll look better and you'll damn sure smell better!!!! :P

I never heard of suicide from taking chantix but I have heard it makes it difficult to sleep and when you do sleep you'll have really weird dreams. Cold turkey is the best way. Just do it!

There is one more thing I forgot to mention. When setting a date to start to quit, make sure you start some type of excerise about a week ahead of time. Even if its only walking around the Mall or a park several times a week.

From what I understand you'll get the urge to eat, and if you sit on your butt all the time, your butt will no longer be able to fit in the chair because it will grow LARGE....

Weight gain is common when quiting, so make sure you excerise.

:)

My Dad smoked since he was real young and is in a nursing home and is 81 now. He just quit smoking about a year ago because when winter came he said it was too cold to go outside. They only take the people outside to smoke a couple of times a day. He is blind from glaucoma and guess he figured it just wasn't worth it anymore. I think it does come down to willpower. I never took up smoking, but my husband smokes Winstons - probably a pack and a half a day and we have to breath it. He won't go to the doctor either. Wish he would just stop for his health as well as my daughter's and mine. Good luck to all of you that will try to stop smoking. You will feel much better.

Guest Guest

This past October made it 9 years since I had quit. I smoked for about 13 years. The last 7 of which I smoked at least 2 packs a day. If I was going out drinking, I'd sometimes smoke 4 packs.

I quit many times before I was successful.

I found my success by changing more in my life than just quitting smoking. I had recently gone back to school. I quit drinking for the first few months. I prayed. I also used Nicorette for the first couple of weeks. I also stopped hanging out with my friends who smoked. (I really stopped hanging out with my friends because of going back to school. I just didn't have the free time I had had before.)

With the Nicorette it was important to only chew the gum when I thought I was going to break down and smoke again. It is very important to consciously keep fighting the addiction. I only used it for 2 weeks as I could picture myself getting hooked on the gum. I wanted no addiction in my life.

I don't believe there is any easy way to break an addiction. It takes inner strength and the help of The Almighty.

Fortunately I just quit and had no problem. The smoking ban in bars helped a lot. I had a friend who had success replacing cigs with cinnamon tooth picks. You can find them on the internet. There are 2 parts to the addiction. One physical (nicotine) and one mental (habit). The nicotine part is gone in days. You need to replace the mental part.

Guest Joe Camel

I was a 2 pack a day man for 35 years. I smoked Lucky Strikes. I went thru a 'stop smoking' class at a local hospital. I quit the first time thru. Here's the key--there had a book

in the class that listed all brands of cigaretts and told the reader if you now smoke this brand switch to this brand for 2 or 3 week before using either pills or patches. I think that

is what is important. It's been 5 years and I never smoked since. They also had some method to tell if patches or pills were better for an individual but I forget how they did it. I used patches. I also wore them longer than they said to. No offense, but I think you are going to need help in quitting. It's almost impossible on your own for us heavy smokers. A very good indication of how bad you are hooked is how fast you smoke after getting out of bed in the morning. Good Luck.

Guest Ex Smoker

This is what worked for me...

I set a date...

I bought a bunch of coffee stir sticks and cut them in 1/2.

When I had the urge to smoke I stuck a stir stick in my mouth and chewed on that.

This may sound too simple but honestly it worked for me. No patches or pills.. just the sticks.

It's been over 4 months for me and I have no desire to smoke.

My boyfriend went from smoking a pack a day to maybe 5 or 6 cigarettes a day with Chantix. He's been on it for about four months now, and I am urging him to take the final step and just quit. Unfortunately, that means that I have to quit as well, and I am going to do it cold turkey. I really shouldn't have a problem with it. I did it when I found out that I was pregnant with our son. I haven't seen any weird side effects from the Chantix, other than an upset stomach if you don't take it with food, and he has been having some weird dreams. No signs of depression or suicidal thoughts. I would recommend it to anyone trying to quit.

Archived