How do you stop a puppy's bark?

Guest glrng

Guest glrng

We have a new puppy at home. She cries when she's left in her cage. We're losing sleep. I've seen the shock collars and the citronella spray collars. I'm leaning towards the shock collar because it needs no refills.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
We have a new puppy at home. She cries when she's left in her cage. We're losing sleep. I've seen the shock collars and the citronella spray collars. I'm leaning towards the shock collar because it needs no refills.

Did you try moving the cage to your bedroom? Sometimes that helps stop the barking just because the puppy knows your close by.

Guest guest

OMG...I can't believe you would be that cruel. Would you shock your own baby if it cried at night? Of course not. A new puppy is no different....please don't shock it. Try letting him/her sleep in a box by your bed for a while. You can let your arm dangle in there to comfort the puppy if he cries and that should calm it down. You have to expect a little noise at night when you decide to bring a puppy home. If you can't bring it into your bedroom, then try finding a place where you can hear it the least and let it cry until it stops on it's own. If you get up and respond, you will teach it that crying gets results and it will only get worse. You can try earplugs if you need to. This crying will pass with a little time. It's a new baby, in new surroundings and just wants to be with you. Please don't shock it for that :(

As strange as it sounds...put a dozen pennies in an empty soda can and shake it when the puppy barks. That works with some of the barkers!

Guest Guest

Getting a shock collar or spray collar seems like an irresponsible and lazy way out. There are many alternatives. You could speak to a trainer that specializes in puppy obedience. I've also heard that there are ways of desensitizing your dog to its cage. Remember, she's still a puppy. She probably has anxiety about being left alone. You have to train her. If you're not willing to put in the time and patience, maybe having a puppy isn't in your best interest, or the puppy's for that matter.

When we first got our puppy, he also cried and howled when we put him in the cage. We spent several sleepless nights listening to the cries and yelps. So we decided that the crate wasn't going to work for us. So he started sleeping in our room and everyone started sleeping peacefully. The only downside was that we had to take him out in the middle of the night every couple of hours to go to the bathroom. After a few weeks he started to hold it all night. Now we have no problems whatsoever. I'm not saying that's what every dog owner should do. I know several dog owner's who swear by crating.

What I do know is that a dog that is tired, sleeps. No matter where they are. Maybe she needs lots of exercise before bedtime. Good luck to you and your puppy.

As strange as it sounds...put a dozen pennies in an empty soda can and shake it when the puppy barks. That works with some of the barkers!

Sure does! Works with counter surfers as well.

I swear by crate training. Lots of toys, a kong filled with frozen peanut butter, a nice cozy blanket and no attention after being crated will cut short the sleepless nights in about 3 days.

However, with very young puppies you eiether need to paper train and put paper inside the crate, in a back corner or you need to get up and take them outside every couple of hours until they are old enough to hold it. I do not recommend the paper routine as the one time I tried it that way, it taught the pup she was allowed to potty inside the crate, but many others have been successful at it, so I put it here as an option.

Guest dogowner

I'm sorry to say that you really just need to suck it up and drink more coffee in the morning. The collars have there place with some dogs in some situations, but I don't feel that this is one of them. The dog will learn, rather quickly at this age, how it is supposed to behave. Your patience will be rewarded.

Ignore those who tell you it is just like a baby. It is a dog. A young dog. Showing some understanding that it is not a mature dog is one thing, but babying it will produce additional problems.

Also, try to remember that there will be times during your dog's puppyhood that you will reconsider the whole idea. Stick with it and train him well, it will only enhance the quality relationship you build with your dog.

Good luck.

Did you try moving the cage to your bedroom? Sometimes that helps stop the barking just because the puppy knows your close by.

This is the best answer. I've started several dogs in a cage, always in the bedroom, and always willing to lose a little sleep.

If you aren't willing to lose some sleep, clean messes, etc., don't bother getting a puppy. They will be doing that forever, just like a child.

Please don't put a "shock collar" on your new puppy, you will only traumatize her, especially at this young age. Babies cry and Puppies bark, she probably misses her mom and siblings. It will get better, just be sure to give her plenty of hugs and attention so she feels more secure.. Putting the crate in the bedroom until she gets used to her new home is a good idea. I would NEVER consider putting one of those collars on a little puppy, you'll only scare and confuse her more.

Be patient and it'll all work out.

Guest dogowner

I do not agree with those who suggest putting the crate in your bedroom. You are setting yourself up for more problems in the longrun. Put the crate where you plan on keeping it and let the puppy cry it out. It will learn on its own that it is safe.

It is not cruel. Even as a pup, your dog is smart, tough, and resilient. Let it show you.

Guest Guest

The puppy is going through an adjustment period just like you are! Remember, before you took it home it only knew it's mom and litter mates.

Give it some time. Do NOT use one of those horrendous collars on a small puppy. You're going to do nothing but damage the dog.

I agree with Sleepless that a can full of pennies does the job as does a lot of patience.

When I adopted my dogs they whined for a few nights in their crate, but I just dealt with it.

grrrrrrr .... wrap that collar around your neck!

Some people dont deserve to have a dog.

Guest Snoopy
grrrrrrr .... wrap that collar around your neck!

Some people dont deserve to have a dog.

Best answer so far, thanks for the laugh! :lol:

My wife asked that I post this.

[/color]PUPPY SIZE

"Danielle keeps repeating it over and over again. We've been back to

this animal shelter at least five times. It has been weeks now since

we started all of this," the mother told the volunteer. "What is it she keeps asking for?" the volunteer asked. "Puppy size!" replied the mother. [/size]"Well, we have plenty of puppies, if that's what she's looking for."

"I know...we have seen most of them," the mom said in frustration...Just then Danielle came walking into the office."Well, did you find one?" asked her mom. "No, not this time," Danielle said with sadness in her voice. "Can we come back on the weekend?"

The two women looked at each other, shook their heads and laughed

"You never know when we will get more dogs. Unfortunately, there's

always a supply," the volunteer said.

Danielle took her mother by the hand and headed to the door. "Don't

worry, I'll find one this weekend," she said.

Over the next few days both mom and dad had long conversations with her.

They both felt she was being too particular. "It's this weekend or

we're not looking any more," Dad finally said in frustration.

"We don't want to hear anything more about puppy size either," Mom added.

Sure enough, they were the first ones in the shelter on Saturday

morning. By now Danielle knew her way around, so she ran right for the

section that housed the smaller dogs. Tired of the routine, mom sat in the small waiting room at the end of the first row of cages There was an observation window so you could see the animals during times when visitors weren't permitted.

Danielle walked slowly from cage to cage, kneeling peri odically to

take a closer look One by one the dogs were brought out and she held

each one. One by one she said, "Sorry, you're not the one."

It was the last cage on this last day in search of the perfect pup.

The volunteer opened the cage door and the child carefully picked up

the dog and held it closely. This time she took a little longer.

"Mom, that's it! I found the right puppy! He's the one! I know it!"

she screamed with joy. "It's the puppy size!"

"But it's the same size as all the other puppies you held over the

last few weeks," Mom said. "No not size... the sighs. When I held him in my a rms, he sighed," she said. "Don't you remember? When I asked you one day what love is, you told me love depends on the sighs of your heart. The more you love, the bigger the sighs!" The two women looked at each other for a moment. Mom didn't know

whether to laugh or cry. As she stooped down to hug the child, she did

a little of both. "Mom, every time you hold me, I sigh. When you and Daddy come home

from work and hug each other, you both sigh. I knew I would find the

right puppy if it sighed when I held it in my arms," she said.

Then holding the puppy up close to her face she said, "Mom, he loves

me. I heard the sighs of his heart!"

Close your eyes for a moment and think about the love that makes you

sigh. I not only find it in the arms of my loved ones, but in the

caress of a sunset, the kiss of the moonlight and the gentle brush of

cool air on a hot day. They are the sighs of God. Take the time to stop and listen; you will be surprised at what you hear. "Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Ok, lets start here....... I have a 4 month old WestiePoo, and she's obviously a little dog. I bought a big kennel( that has a divider in it) for her to sleep in at night and it's in my computer room. The first couple days when my wife and I would go to sleep she would whine. So therefore i got a blanket and put it over the whole kennel exept for the back so that way when she is in there she thinks it's time to go to sleep. She doesn't whine any more when going to bed but when we leave to go some where she does for about 2-3 minutes and then stops. What I would like to know is how the Hell to get her to STOP going to the bathroon in her kennel, in my house!!! It's getting really old. AND DON'T COME BACK WITH A STUPID REMARK LIKE " TAKE THE DOG OUTSIDE MORE " because I just don't want to hear that crap. I also have heard dogs won't go to the bathroom where they sleep........ NOT TRUE. Well let me know some tricks or advise please. THANKS

Guest guest
....What I would like to know is how the Hell to get her to STOP going to the bathroon in her kennel, in my house!!! It's getting really old. AND DON'T COME BACK WITH A STUPID REMARK LIKE " TAKE THE DOG OUTSIDE MORE " because I just don't want to hear that crap. I also have heard dogs won't go to the bathroom where they sleep........ NOT TRUE. Well let me know some tricks or advise please. THANKS

Allow me to be the first...

You need to take the dog outside more!!!!

You couldn't figure that out and you call me an idiot...unbelievable :rolleyes:

when you log on here under your name then you can talk MORON!!!

And to dinclimo...... thats what i do. and i go to bed about 12:30am and wake up about 7:00am. thats what i don't understand why she can't hold it.

when you log on here under your name then you can talk MORON!!!

And to dinclimo...... thats what i do. and i go to bed about 12:30am and wake up about 7:00am. thats what i don't understand why she can't hold it.

How old is she?.....and you forgot the L It looks like you called me a dink.......or mabe you didnt forget it ;):lol:

Archived