How do you stop a puppy's bark?

Guest glrng

she is almost 5 months old. and yes i did forget the L.....sorry
Well ours is a mini collie and she took about a full year to get her well trained. First year sucked too. Every time you said the p word shed pee all over the place. And better to have forgotten it than left it out on purpose.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well ours is a mini collie and she took about a full year to get her well trained. First year sucked too. Every time you said the p word shed pee all over the place. And better to have forgotten it than left it out on purpose.

great cant wait, i also have a year old son.

i mean don't get me wrong it's not all bad other than the going to the bathroom in the house and nipping at my sons face. like she just asked to go outside to pee. i guess i don't understand her that much yet.
Youl get it. Id use the spray bottle for the nipping and a snack bone as a reward.

Guest Humane Society Volunteer
Ok, lets start here....... I have a 4 month old WestiePoo, and she's obviously a little dog. I bought a big kennel( that has a divider in it) for her to sleep in at night and it's in my computer room. The first couple days when my wife and I would go to sleep she would whine. So therefore i got a blanket and put it over the whole kennel exept for the back so that way when she is in there she thinks it's time to go to sleep. She doesn't whine any more when going to bed but when we leave to go some where she does for about 2-3 minutes and then stops. What I would like to know is how the Hell to get her to STOP going to the bathroon in her kennel, in my house!!! It's getting really old. AND DON'T COME BACK WITH A STUPID REMARK LIKE " TAKE THE DOG OUTSIDE MORE " because I just don't want to hear that crap. I also have heard dogs won't go to the bathroom where they sleep........ NOT TRUE. Well let me know some tricks or advise please. THANKS

You may need to buy a smaller crate, the crate you are using may be too large, here are some good web sites to check out. The HSUS web site has some very good info on it. Good luck!

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets...e_training.html

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.p...p;A=136&S=1

Guest Guest
IDIOT!!!!

I had a friend in Raleigh N.C. that had a pair of Poodles. One barked non stop, day and night. She took it to a vet and had its vocal cords removed. Worked like a charm.

Guest Charm/FYI
I had a friend in Raleigh N.C. that had a pair of Poodles. One barked non stop, day and night. She took it to a vet and had its vocal cords removed. Worked like a charm.

FYI:

So your dog’s barking is driving you and your neighbors crazy—annoyance, lost sleep and more…You may have heard about having the dog debarked as way to solve dog barking problems and stop dog barking. Read on to learn about debarking and its pros and cons.

Debarking, or a ventricular cordectomy, as a way to solve dog barking problems is an elective minor surgical procedure in which the veterinarian severs or removes the vocal cords. The pro is that it's fairly immediate. The dog can't make much noise with sliced vocal cords. So there's not much of a waiting period for it to take effect to stop dog barking.

The cons are that it's indiscriminate in that it removes all barking including the kind that protects us. And we know that many lives are saved when dogs bark to warn us of smoke or intruders.

Debarking is often a temporary solution to dog barking problems or puppy barking problems due to scar formation. And it must be repeated--sometimes a number of times. The dog isn't totally silent, but the noise he makes--sort of like a loud, wheezy cough--is really pitiful. And worst of all, it does nothing to relieve that destructive process and stress that a barking dog falls victim to with the ulcers and immune system compromise.

In other words, debarking to stop dog barking treats the symptom of excessive barking, not the problem. Your dog is still barking excessively; the loud bark is just gone. And it gets rid of some positive things at the same time. Also, there's always the risk of anesthetic. It's usually good to not anesthetize unless your dog unless it's absolutely necessary.

Guest Guest
Ok, lets start here....... I have a 4 month old WestiePoo, and she's obviously a little dog. I bought a big kennel( that has a divider in it) for her to sleep in at night and it's in my computer room. The first couple days when my wife and I would go to sleep she would whine. So therefore i got a blanket and put it over the whole kennel exept for the back so that way when she is in there she thinks it's time to go to sleep. She doesn't whine any more when going to bed but when we leave to go some where she does for about 2-3 minutes and then stops. What I would like to know is how the Hell to get her to STOP going to the bathroon in her kennel, in my house!!! It's getting really old. AND DON'T COME BACK WITH A STUPID REMARK LIKE " TAKE THE DOG OUTSIDE MORE " because I just don't want to hear that crap. I also have heard dogs won't go to the bathroom where they sleep........ NOT TRUE. Well let me know some tricks or advise please. THANKS

Well the answer is TAKE THE DOG OUT MORE! Whether or not you want to hear it.

If the dog has to go that bad it is going to go whether in it's crate or not! You can only "hold it" for so long before you have to go so why would you expect a little dog to hold it?

Irresponsible pet owners should not get pets. :angry:

Guest Pet Owner

Bottom line, puppies take work and you'll need patience, time and energy. If you don't have these things or just don't think owning a pet is a priority than DON'T GET ONE !! It breaks my heart to see people who have dogs and tie them way out back of their houses. I ask one of them once "Why do you even have a dog?", their reply, "for protection", oh yeah they can really protect you when they're tied with a heavy chain a good distance from the house !! What is wrong with some people ????? :angry: To the original poster, if you don't want to go thru the problems of dealing with a puppy perhaps an older dog may work for you, there are all kinds of dogs and different ages at the Shelters. In my opinion purebreds are a lot more problems and more hyper than mixed breeds.

Very, very true. Puppies are so cute, then for the unprepared getting home with a new dog becomes shock treatment. Being intelligent, sentient creatures means that dogs need lots of time, and attention. Kinda of like a four legged kid....Good luck with your pup it's worth the time and effort, truly!

We tried the crate thing with bot of our dogs but like everyone else has said they barked and whined all night long. And they did go to the bathroom in their cage. Very frustrating in the beginning. We finally gave up and brought them upstairs and put them in our bed with us. When they would start moving around in the middle of the night they would have to go out. Luckily for us they were afraid to jump down when they were small. After we did that we didn't have any more problems at night. Like all dogs they finally learned to hold it all night and they were then broke of sleeping on the bed because they are 2 large dogs now! A lab and a rottie!! It is just like having a child. My youngest was only 4 months old when we got the rottie so it was just like getting up with her I was already used to being sleep deprived!! It all pays off in the end with the unconditional love the dogs give you!

Getting a shock collar or spray collar seems like an irresponsible and lazy way out. There are many alternatives. You could speak to a trainer that specializes in puppy obedience. I've also heard that there are ways of desensitizing your dog to its cage. Remember, she's still a puppy. She probably has anxiety about being left alone. You have to train her. If you're not willing to put in the time and patience, maybe having a puppy isn't in your best interest, or the puppy's for that matter.

When we first got our puppy, he also cried and howled when we put him in the cage. We spent several sleepless nights listening to the cries and yelps. So we decided that the crate wasn't going to work for us. So he started sleeping in our room and everyone started sleeping peacefully. The only downside was that we had to take him out in the middle of the night every couple of hours to go to the bathroom. After a few weeks he started to hold it all night. Now we have no problems whatsoever. I'm not saying that's what every dog owner should do. I know several dog owner's who swear by crating.

What I do know is that a dog that is tired, sleeps. No matter where they are. Maybe she needs lots of exercise before bedtime. Good luck to you and your puppy.

Whenever we got a new puppy, we would take an old towel or blanket and rub the mother, or siblings and get their smell on the blanket and they usually slept through the night. If you get the pup from a pet shop, if it is sleeping with another pup this usually works too. We would also take a qt. jar and fill it with really hot water and make sure the lid was on tight, wrap it in the towel or blanket and the puppy would cuddle up to that. Sometimes putting a large stuffed animal in the cage with it helps. Yes, they do get you up in the night to go to the bathroom, but hey that is part of having an animal. It also helps if you play with him alot before bedtime so that he/she gets tired out.

Guest Guest
Any dog owner and vet who does this to a dog deserves to be SHOT!!!!

I know a 'lady' who lived in Endicott who had two St. Bernard's that she could not train. She had her husband shoot both of them. She was a manager at IBM Glendale.

Guest Guest
I know a 'lady' who lived in Endicott who had two St. Bernard's that she could not train. She had her husband shoot both of them. She was a manager at IBM Glendale.

Did you turn these people in for animal cruelty?????? :angry:

Guest ASICIT

Start off with the crate in your room at night and work to the area where it is going to eventually be as the dog gets older and more used to its surroundings. Don't oversize the crate, just enough to allow the dog to spin and lay. If you want to save some money get the crate size you will eventually need and use plywood to divide it and make it smaller. No water after dinner and let them out right before going to bed (make sure they go). It's fairly easy. You chose the dog and the responsibility. It's called training

Guest Guest
DELETED

WHat alot of people don't know is that most shock collars have some sort of noise on them. It is used as a step in a process. SHocking a dog doesn't hurt then it startles them that is why they sometimes yelp when shocked. Much like a person may let out a noise when startled. If used properly veyr very few actual shocks are needed. If u start with the sounds first, then if the dog does not respond then shock them on the lowest level that affects them. then eventually all u will need to use is the sound because they learn "uh-oh its that sound again, I better do what they want so I don't get that thing that scares me. It does work usually in a few months.

WHat alot of people don't know is that most shock collars have some sort of noise on them. It is used as a step in a process. SHocking a dog doesn't hurt then it startles them that is why they sometimes yelp when shocked. Much like a person may let out a noise when startled. If used properly veyr very few actual shocks are needed. If u start with the sounds first, then if the dog does not respond then shock them on the lowest level that affects them. then eventually all u will need to use is the sound because they learn "uh-oh its that sound again, I better do what they want so I don't get that thing that scares me. It does work usually in a few months.

Put one on yourself and everytime you say stupid crap as in your post it shocks you ... see how you like it.. :angry:

Archived