AAU Basketball

Guest Guest

Is it better to have your kid play AAU for the RAGE or should they play with their team from school? Or does it even make that much of a difference? Thanks...

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you want your child to be berated non-stop, have them play RAGE.

Well that scares me a little -what do you mean?

The head of Rage keeps the best players on his team and takes all the good gym time. If you are other Rage team other than his, you get any coach that volunteers and then practice once a week maybe. Heard numerous people that are unhappy with Rage and its director.....

The head of Rage keeps the best players on his team and takes all the good gym time. If you are other Rage team other than his, you get any coach that volunteers and then practice once a week maybe. Heard numerous people that are unhappy with Rage and its director.....

or...the father's get involved and is a coach then take their kids and all his friends. Don't get me wrong its nice of the fathers to do this, its just that the teams become lop-sided.

Guest Guest-guest111-*

or...the father's get involved and is a coach then take their kids and all his friends. Don't get me wrong its nice of the fathers to do this, its just that the teams become lop-sided.

I'm not sure this can be avoided. It isn't school ball...there's little oversight on stacking teams. When individuals are paying hundreds of dollars just to play, and then perhaps up to $1000 on gas, hotels, and food during the AAU season, parents are going to be vocal about getting what they want. Playing time, who starts, etc. are all fair game when this type of money is involved. Barriers that exist between parents and coaches during the school season are much thicker than during AAU. Team will inevitably become lop-sided. My advice is to treat it as a teachable moment for your child about fair play and sportsmanship. Chances are you'll have many of them.

Well that's the problem with AAU is everyone pays and wants equal time. Which is understandable. But doesn't always work in winning games. I guess it depends on what you are looking for . The school AAU team gives the chance to develop together off season. If your kid is older and is trying to get noticed maybe he should look outside the area. I know kids who have gone to Philadelphia or Scranton and played on AAU teams there.

Yes thats for sure if you put your kid in RAGE be prepared to dish out some bucks! Gas, hotels. meals, make sure your kid really loves the sport. It gets expensive.

I try to stay off these boards because of all the negative things that people write on here. However, I will add my two cents on a topic that is near and dear to my heart. If your kid has a chance to play for the Rage, and they love the game of basketball, then do it! I can't stress strongly enough how much of an impact the Rage has had on my child. My child not only grew as a player, but also as a young man. The bonds that are built with all the other Rage players in this area are incredible to see. If you need proof of the Rage's success, look at Section IV scoring leaders - mostly Rage players. An even better indication of how good the Rage program is can be shown by five of the ten Empire State players from the Central Region were Rage players. You can badmouth people all you want, but my kid would run through fire for TL! My child went from a skinny kid with no confidence to the leading scorer in Section IV who was offered a full ride for basketball. That was only possible because of TL and the Rage!

I try to stay off these boards because of all the negative things that people write on here. However, I will add my two cents on a topic that is near and dear to my heart. If your kid has a chance to play for the Rage, and they love the game of basketball, then do it! I can't stress strongly enough how much of an impact the Rage has had on my child. My child not only grew as a player, but also as a young man. The bonds that are built with all the other Rage players in this area are incredible to see. If you need proof of the Rage's success, look at Section IV scoring leaders - mostly Rage players. An even better indication of how good the Rage program is can be shown by five of the ten Empire State players from the Central Region were Rage players. You can badmouth people all you want, but my kid would run through fire for TL! My child went from a skinny kid with no confidence to the leading scorer in Section IV who was offered a full ride for basketball. That was only possible because of TL and the Rage!

That is not saying much for your belief in your own kid. TL gave him the opportunity to play basketball in college???

C,mon- TL only coaches the kids that are good, he would NEVER coach a bad team...........

Well thank you Mr. Gates! Look not everyone is a TL fan bottom line. ( you seem a lot like him in coaching so I can see why you like him) That"s nice your kid benefited -not everyone's did-it was a waste of money for some. And a little advise - don't put on bc voice your kid would run through fire for him that's just plain weird!! It's nice what TL does to a point but to say everyone benefits is just not true!

FYI-top scorer does not always mean best player. I wish your the son the best but , I hope he knows it won't be as easy as it has been playing the D schools!

I guess I was just trying to say that the Rage was tremendous for my child, as was TL. I certainly was not trying to start anything, I was just trying to answer the question and was coming at it from a different perspective. So I will shorten my answer to - the Rage has been great for my child and leave it at that.

I guess I was just trying to say that the Rage was tremendous for my child, as was TL. I certainly was not trying to start anything, I was just trying to answer the question and was coming at it from a different perspective. So I will shorten my answer to - the Rage has been great for my child and leave it at that.

True RAGE is great if your father is going to coach too-that helps you get on the better team!

True RAGE is great if your father is going to coach too-that helps you get on the better team!

What's wrong with someones father being involved?

Just trying to help his kid in any way possible.

From experience of a higher "classed" school, Will Gates could play at any top high school in the area, if he moved

down the road to owego he'd still be a top-level player.

Colleges have seen this obviously.

congratulations will!

Guest guest-guest

From experience of a higher "classed" school, Will Gates could play at any top high school in the area, if he moved

congratulations will!

congratulations will!

Hey TL we were not talking about your boy Will. He may be able to play for other schools but I would easily say he would not have the points he does now! Anyway the topic was about the advantages of having your father being involved in the RAGE. Just trying to help the kid out in anyway possible? Yeah politics has a way of doing that now doesn't it? Funny how those fathers disappear once there kid is gone!!

What is Lindsay's motivation? Does he have a job? How does he live if he doesn't have a job? Is coaching boys his only thing in life?

Who knows......Yes coaching boy is his life

Guest curious
What is Lindsay's motivation? Does he have a job? How does he live if he doesn't have a job? Is coaching boys his only thing in life?

Who knows......Yes coaching boy is his life

ignorant question: what is the difference between RAGE and AAU? also, are the names different for boys and girls. i was sought out to coach one of the 2 and am getting scared. i'll take any players they give me, but practice time is non-negotiable. that's the only way teams and players get better. could people educate me on the subject more in detail. thank you.

Guest Henry Rosencrantz

FYI-top scorer does not always mean best player. I wish your the son the best but , I hope he knows it won't be as easy as it has been playing the D schools!

You should have shortened your answer the first time! Although you could not hold back a chance to talk about your son who is good because he plays week competition. What happened when he played against a weak ! - ME? Not that goood!

ignorant question: what is the difference between RAGE and AAU? also, are the names different for boys and girls. i was sought out to coach one of the 2 and am getting scared. i'll take any players they give me, but practice time is non-negotiable. that's the only way teams and players get better. could people educate me on the subject more in detail. thank you.

RAGE is part of AAU -AAU is the organization. There is bigger AAU in certain areas of the country we are like a small version of it. Practice time is very limited unless you are on TL's team. Nice of you to step up!

Archived