AAU Basketball

Guest Guest

AAU is a national organization for all sorts of sports. Rage is a local chapter of that organization, and I beleive, has just boys teams. There are girls basketball AAU teams locally as well, STNY Flyers and Scream are a few local girls organizations. You will have the politics no matter what you do or where you go.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest curious
AAU is a national organization for all sorts of sports. Rage is a local chapter of that organization, and I beleive, has just boys teams. There are girls basketball AAU teams locally as well, STNY Flyers and Scream are a few local girls organizations. You will have the politics no matter what you do or where you go.

i know MB is head of the girls. does he run things different than TL when it comes to players and, more importantly, practice time? who is in charge of where and when you practice? if i knew somewhere i could get time, would they allow that? thanks.

i know MB is head of the girls. does he run things different than TL when it comes to players and, more importantly, practice time? who is in charge of where and when you practice? if i knew somewhere i could get time, would they allow that? thanks.

Try Sony Spera he may be able to help you with the girls stuff.

Agree with you there-politics are everywhere, and it seems to be getting worse and worse!

Guest curious

Agree with you there-politics are everywhere, and it seems to be getting worse and worse!

does anyone know anything about MB and the girls program? sonny is not doing anymore.

Seems to me like there is getting to be more and more school teams for AAU and all the best are not going to RAGE anymore. Difficult to pick where to put your child.

does anyone know anything about MB and the girls program? sonny is not doing anymore.

Call Scott Burkhardt in Vestal-last I knew he ran the Scream. A lot of politics with the Flyers, even though probably a little less with Sonny gone. Unless your kid is a super star or goes to UE, MB will just put her on any team with any old coach. If she is a super star, he will be her coach, but I don't think kids like him much-he is a screamer.

It's not that hard to start your own team, the biggest issue is gym time which is why it is good to do it with or at your school-the coaches at the schools can get you gym time. Beyond that, it is pretty easy to just get everyone registered, and sign up for tournaments.

Try Sony Spera he may be able to help you with the girls stuff.

They would allow it esp. if it is free. You have to include the facility on the org. list of facilities though, so it gets covered with the AAU insurance. The insurance is really cheap, like 75 bucks for an unlimited number of gyms, just have to be sure that where you practice has been submitted as a site and is covered.

Rosie Poodish was involved with starting the Scream, she might know some useful stuff. Sonny might give you some helpful info too, even if he isn't doing Flyers anymore.

Guest big dog
Call Scott Burkhardt in Vestal-last I knew he ran the Scream. A lot of politics with the Flyers, even though probably a little less with Sonny gone. Unless your kid is a super star or goes to UE, MB will just put her on any team with any old coach. If she is a super star, he will be her coach, but I don't think kids like him much-he is a screamer.

It's not that hard to start your own team, the biggest issue is gym time which is why it is good to do it with or at your school-the coaches at the schools can get you gym time. Beyond that, it is pretty easy to just get everyone registered, and sign up for tournaments.

So what you are saying is MB coaching every age team. You could be a stud 13,15,17 year old and a stud and MB coaches "all those teams'. How many teams does MB coach?

So what you are saying is MB coaching every age team. You could be a stud 13,15,17 year old and a stud and MB coaches "all those teams'. How many teams does MB coach?

no, MB runs girls AAU. sonny did for yrs, but is done as of this year. MB might coach, but runs the girls AAU program overall. that's all i know. it came from sonny. they want me to coach, but don't want to get caught up in a bunch of BS. i realize there will be some. i can handle that. i got scared when everyone said TL runs the boys AAU in a questionable way. just wondering if girls are any different. heard of scream and flyers, but don't know the differences. sonny directed me to AAU. any thoughts?

no, MB runs girls AAU. sonny did for yrs, but is done as of this year. MB might coach, but runs the girls AAU program overall. that's all i know. it came from sonny. they want me to coach, but don't want to get caught up in a bunch of BS. i realize there will be some. i can handle that. i got scared when everyone said TL runs the boys AAU in a questionable way. just wondering if girls are any different. heard of scream and flyers, but don't know the differences. sonny directed me to AAU. any thoughts?

Yes, Tony L. does only coach the good players and gives himself the best(most) gym time. A friend of mines son played Rage and only practiced once every 2 weeks and had a poor coach from Windsor who did not have a basketball background, but had a kid on the team.....he said it was a waste of time and money.

Yes, Tony L. does only coach the good players and gives himself the best(most) gym time. A friend of mines son played Rage and only practiced once every 2 weeks and had a poor coach from Windsor who did not have a basketball background, but had a kid on the team.....he said it was a waste of time and money.

TL, to my knowledge, is AAU. how does he fit into RAGE? screamers and flyers? connections between all of them????

TL, to my knowledge, is AAU. how does he fit into RAGE? screamers and flyers? connections between all of them????

sorry, differences between boys and girls as well. thanks.

My son played on Rage with Will and I just have to say you won't find a nicer kid or family. The kid's got talent and smarts and drive. Congrats to Will, couldn't be happier for you!

And yes, there is are A teams and a B teams, what is wrong with that? Some of the tournies that the A teams play in would just be a blow-out for the Bs. Sorry, I just don't get the criticism as far as that goes.

Lindsley coaches kids from Endicott, Endwell, and Athens, Pa. on his winter team. I'd be interested to know if he actually abides by HIS rules and has in his possession waivers from the other districts for these kids to leave their programs (they're supposed to be CUT from those other schools' programs before they can play elsewhere - again, according to Lindsey's rules).

Advocates for Lindsey probably also would admit that Lindsey does what's best for Lindsey. Give him a team of mediocre players and see what kind of a "great coach" he is. Instead, he's handed a group of 10 area all-stars each year.

Certainly gives you some perspective, doesn't it?

My son played on Rage with Will and I just have to say you won't find a nicer kid or family. The kid's got talent and smarts and drive. Congrats to Will, couldn't be happier for you!

And yes, there is are A teams and a B teams, what is wrong with that? Some of the tournies that the A teams play in would just be a blow-out for the Bs. Sorry, I just don't get the criticism as far as that goes.

Well one thing wrong with the A and B teams are is that you have to be politically correct to make the A team! Lots of "B" players are now the best in high school and the A players not so much...And as far as a nicer family who cares? No one said they were not nice-the father just made dam sure he was politically correct for his son. Guess it worked out for that family-maybe that's why Dad's are so overly involved these days. I just prefer to see a kid go out and get it on his own.

Lindsley coaches kids from Endicott, Endwell, and Athens, Pa. on his winter team. I'd be interested to know if he actually abides by HIS rules and has in his possession waivers from the other districts for these kids to leave their programs (they're supposed to be CUT from those other schools' programs before they can play elsewhere - again, according to Lindsey's rules).

Advocates for Lindsey probably also would admit that Lindsey does what's best for Lindsey. Give him a team of mediocre players and see what kind of a "great coach" he is. Instead, he's handed a group of 10 area all-stars each year.

Certainly gives you some perspective, doesn't it?

agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So ,after all these comments I beginning to think it is better to have your kid stick with his school team. I know school is probably political too but RAGE definitely sounds it -and you might as well play with the kids who you are going to be with in the season.

I agree, play with the same kids who you always play with against the same local competition. That way you won't meet and play with other players from other local schools against competition that is far superior to you from cities all over the NorthEast. Then, you can go to BCC and live at home with mommy, drop out and complain that the reason you aren't getting ahead is political. If you want to play in college, play Rage. If you don't, play for your high school team. Pretty simple I think. Until you have played against RAP, Select, Central Western and all the terrific AAU teams out there, you'll never know how good the players out there are. Most of the best Binghamton area players have played for the Rage and loved it. Is it for everyone? No. But for the really good players, it is the best option. You should know that college coaches recruit from the AAU circuit and they seldom attend the small local AAU events other than the Rage one held at SUNY Binghamton. I guess my only question is: if you are playing the best teams from all over the NorthEast, why wouldn't you pick the best players you could for your team? I look at the best STAC players - Gray, Meier, Patterson, Powell, Maribito, Costello (and others) and I am pretty sure they all played for the Rage.

I am sure they all did play for RAGE. But the schools are now getting into some of those exact same tournaments. Look at Oneoeta when they had all those good players-they played school and ended up still going to play college ball,and having a great season with the school. And excuse me but what is wrong with playing college ball for BCC? I heard a lot of those RAGE players are thinking of going there next year. So, what you are saying is if you don't play RAGE you will be failure in life and live home with mommy and daddy-what are you some kind of twisted nut?

Let me see if I can help people out here a little. First of all it probably honestly does not matter much if you play for RAGE or the school ball-kids preference. What REALLY does matter is that you attend the right camps to be seen. Especially if you are above D- 3 material. I believe there is a a group called Five Star or Group Happenings not sure of the names its been a while for me. These are the places you need to get your kid at. Tony will get a lot of the NYS colleges-D3- which is great but if you really want to be seen I am telling you get to the camps!! Oh and to the idiot that made the comment about BCC and kids living at home with mommy and daddy-bad call -these are tough economic times for people-nothing wrong with playing for BCC!!

I agree, play with the same kids who you always play with against the same local competition. That way you won't meet and play with other players from other local schools against competition that is far superior to you from cities all over the NorthEast. Then, you can go to BCC and live at home with mommy, drop out and complain that the reason you aren't getting ahead is political. If you want to play in college, play Rage. If you don't, play for your high school team. Pretty simple I think. Until you have played against RAP, Select, Central Western and all the terrific AAU teams out there, you'll never know how good the players out there are. Most of the best Binghamton area players have played for the Rage and loved it. Is it for everyone? No. But for the really good players, it is the best option. You should know that college coaches recruit from the AAU circuit and they seldom attend the small local AAU events other than the Rage one held at SUNY Binghamton. I guess my only question is: if you are playing the best teams from all over the NorthEast, why wouldn't you pick the best players you could for your team? I look at the best STAC players - Gray, Meier, Patterson, Powell, Maribito, Costello (and others) and I am pretty sure they all played for the Rage.

wow very bad call on the BCC comment living at home with mommy and daddy-so only if you play RAGE that won't happen-come on dude you crossed the line.

Archived