$800,000 RIVERWALK!!!!

Guest Guest

On Dec. 27, 2007, Brian Liberatore told Press & Sun-Bulletin readers the City of Binghamton was seeking $435,000 in grants for the Riverwalk. Today we hear it is now $800,000.

Which is correct?

Furthermore, since this money needs to be matched, how does the City of Binghamton propose to come up with $800,000? This money would be in addition to monies needed for Matt Ryan's raises to his staff, in addition to the millions that will be needed to match the federal grant for the unnecessary Court Street Roundabout, in addition to increases for City Teamsters, firefighters and soon, probably, police.

Where is the money coming from?

Will Ryan raise business taxes again after he has raised them 15% already in two years?

How much more can taxpayers bear?

Finally, where is the money to fix the infrastructure we already have that are now public dangers like collapsing parking ramps?

When will this spending end?

Thursday December 27, 2007

City hopes to expand river trail

By Brian Liberatore

The grant application calls for up to $435,000 in state funding. The grant would require a matching contribution of the same amount but could include in-kind services. Finding money for greenway projects like the river trail has proven difficult, given the shape of the state's aging roadways.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...EWS01/712270352

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the River Walk! I really do! I love being so close to the gorgeous river and watching all the wildlife that live in and around it.

At certain times of the day, especially in the summer when the wild flowers are fully grown, it's just gorgeous.

Hope some of you can enjoy it at some point.

And don't forget to take it in after a few days of rain and spring thaw when the River is 8 to 10 feet over the walk. Don't walk on it at night because you might step on a used syringe. On those gray days the gang members in their colors add some life to otherwise dreary scenery..

Ed, why do you hate Binghamton so much? Why do you focus on it's negative points incessently? Is there anything about it you do like?

Ed, why do you hate Binghamton so much? Why do you focus on it's negative points incessently? Is there anything about it you do like?

Please list the positive things going on now.......

Tell you what, let's discuss it over a cup of coffee at CoffeTalk...., oops, sorry, we can't do that, can we!

Nobody hates Binghamton. Don't be so stupid. the criticism is so string because we care so much about it.

We hate what is being done to it by the Mayor and his cronies at Citizen Action.

Guest guessed

Tell you what, let's discuss it over a cup of coffee at CoffeTalk...., oops, sorry, we can't do that, can we!

Nobody hates Binghamton. Don't be so stupid. the criticism is so string because we care so much about it.

We hate what is being done to it by the Mayor and his cronies at Citizen Action.

I've never walked on the river trail but

i think it's well worth it.

Since the Riverwalk and the upcoming Community City Gardens will be the foundation of Binghamton's economic turnaround, they had better be worth it.

As a young professional who lives downtown, I think the riverwalk is well worth the money. It is nice to have a safe place to walk, we should try to get some bands or a street fair going on the riverwalk this spring and summer so more people can see how nice it is to live and be downtown. Positive attitudes change things. Lets try that for once,,,how about it fellow BCVOICERS!

As a young professional who lives downtown, I think the riverwalk is well worth the money. It is nice to have a safe place to walk, we should try to get some bands or a street fair going on the riverwalk this spring and summer so more people can see how nice it is to live and be downtown. Positive attitudes change things. Lets try that for once,,,how about it fellow BCVOICERS!

Your kidding,right!

I'd like to see that Riverwalk money going into repairing/repaving our streets. The streets are crappy!

I suppose you could drive on the riverwalk and avoid those nasty potholes.

Guest oh positive one

I'm with you! Great attitude :)

http://www.pps.org/great_public_spaces/one...lic_place_id=22

Now this is a River Walk. It looks nothing like ours. Make ours like that and you've got my vote.

That really is an awesom example of a riverwalk. Our river is a lot bigger and more ferocious so it's a good thing we have the walls, but wouldn't it be great if the old Fair Store filled up with cafes, shops, restaurants and set tables outside? I think the river walls should be covered with some kind of greenery too if possible. Something that doesn't ruin the structure. Anyone know of a climbing plant that can't eat into concrete?

Why would ANYONE think it's ok to walk at night in ANY city?

That's asking for trouble, as far as I'm concerned.

I used to walk around many part of Bing. and JC at night without much concern. I wouldn't do it now. There aren't too many parts of Bing. that I'd walk for more than a block without looking over my shoulder.

In any city the size of Bing., with it's long history of being relatively a low-crime city, people should be able to walk freely without fear of being mugged or hit.

Sadly, that is no longer the case. Even sadder is that the current Mayor does not acknowledge this, nor does he seem to care.

That really is an awesom example of a riverwalk. Our river is a lot bigger and more ferocious so it's a good thing we have the walls, but wouldn't it be great if the old Fair Store filled up with cafes, shops, restaurants and set tables outside? I think the river walls should be covered with some kind of greenery too if possible. Something that doesn't ruin the structure. Anyone know of a climbing plant that can't eat into concrete?

Yeah...wouldn't it be great...and wouldn't it be great if I won the lottery and bought a new Mercedes?

Nobody will do any such thing on that portion of the riverwalk for one very important reason...they understand that they can't make any money doing it.

Yeah...wouldn't it be great...and wouldn't it be great if I won the lottery and bought a new Mercedes?

Nobody will do any such thing on that portion of the riverwalk for one very important reason...they understand that they can't make any money doing it.

Correct. Not only is there no place to put business ventures on the Riverwalk, there is no affluent market anywhere near the area to support such a commerce.

There isn't a sane businessman in America who will invest his own $ in a business that has no potential customer base.

Even First Friday is nothing more than a tiny smattering of business for downtown.

Archived