Anyone heard any news on girl found dead??

Guest Guest

Just wondering if the public is gonna ever find out what happened to Katie Chappell?? Seems like everything went hush!! Anyone else like to comment?

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's sickening that our local rag of a paper hasn't done a single story about it in almost 2 weeks. Even then, the last article I remember was merely discussing her facebook page. We haven't heard a single quote from any law enforcement. We haven't heard a single quote from any of her friends & family.

In a small town like ours, it should be front and central news about whatever it is that has happened to her. I understand the police don't necessarily share that concern, but for our newspapers and radio stations, they should be ashamed to not even follow up on anything. Add to that for whatever reason it has been taboo on here, it's like nobopdy wants to admit anything might have happened.

Go bless you Katie, may your friends and family find peace in whatever way.

What's up with the police not giving any info to the media ? The only thing I can think of is they are waiting on a Tox screen to come back and that can take weeks. That is just a guess. You have to admit that the Binghamton police usually solve these type crimes. Alex Minor and his team I hope can figure it out for the sake of her family and friends.

Like the other poster, I think that they are waiting for the tox screen. I have seen a few things in the press that are still asking people if they saw her that night, or if they know anything. I think they would have arrested someone right now if it was that cut and dry. I mean honestly, who knows, she could have had an allergic reaction to something for all we know....

I too was hoping to hear an update with regards to catching the individual that did it. I think it isn't surprising, or a bad thing, that this story isn't making it into the paper.

As a respectful example, there was a couple that was involved in a murder/suicide on Conklin Avenue, I think it was last year. I believe one of the individuals worked for the county. The only information we were provided was about the incident itself, and no other details thereafter. At the time I felt it was a little hypocritical. If it were anyone else (not well known people for example) the information would have been endless. However, I can also completely understand the silence and the choice to not provide any detailed information. Perhaps it is the same with this case as well. And we have to try and respect that. Perhaps we will in time learn that justice has been served.

Geekgirl, I completely disagree with that. I mean, I understand the police keeping everything to themselves, as it isn't tehir responsibility to inform, but rather investigate. The newspaper though, is pathetic. Do they not even pretend to have an investigative journalist on their staff? Why in this instance should anything be kept private if there is a suspect. They didn't keep quiet with respect to Calvin Harris, Patrick Fitzgerald, etc. So why shouldn't they either determine if there is or is not foul play, and list any potential suspects if it is indeed suspicious? What makes this case so unique? It's my contention that family influence is keeping things quiet.

I too was hoping to hear an update with regards to catching the individual that did it. I think it isn't surprising, or a bad thing, that this story isn't making it into the paper.

As a respectful example, there was a couple that was involved in a murder/suicide on Conklin Avenue, I think it was last year. I believe one of the individuals worked for the county. The only information we were provided was about the incident itself, and no other details thereafter. At the time I felt it was a little hypocritical. If it were anyone else (not well known people for example) the information would have been endless. However, I can also completely understand the silence and the choice to not provide any detailed information. Perhaps it is the same with this case as well. And we have to try and respect that. Perhaps we will in time learn that justice has been served.

Conklin Ave. was a suicide, suicide, I believe. I will let you try to figure out that one yourself. The Police will not give any information to the news media as they can not be trusted. They constantly twist any information they receive to make it more sensational. They don't care who they hurt, they just want to sell papers.

Guest Warren Buffet
Conklin Ave. was a suicide, suicide, I believe. I will let you try to figure out that one yourself. The Police will not give any information to the news media as they can not be trusted. They constantly twist any information they receive to make it more sensational. They don't care who they hurt, they just want to sell papers.

You get no arguement from me! I totally agree with your opinion!!!

Here's a novel idea; maybe the police are trying to do a thorough investigation, and don't want to jeopardize it by releasing too much information.

Or how about this one; if it were any of your business, you would know.

In the meantime, maybe we should just quit speculating and spreading unfounded rumors.

No one is spreading unfound rumors and you are making an ignorant statement that if there was something to know, we would know it.

That would seem to allude that the Police are ALWAYS right and ALWAYS know exactly what happened. The death was deemed suspicious. Was it a murder? Does the community have anything to worry about? Is a killer on the loose? Are they suspecting foul play or not?

Allergice reaction - then just release that at this time they do not suspect foul play. But we have heard nothing. Does that mean they have no clue and someone very dangerous could be out there?

Respectfully, that case was a suicide / suicide, therefore; it would serve no purpose for law enfocement or the Press to provide any further details. No crime was committed.

No one is spreading unfound rumors and you are making an ignorant statement that if there was something to know, we would know it.

That would seem to allude that the Police are ALWAYS right and ALWAYS know exactly what happened. The death was deemed suspicious. Was it a murder? Does the community have anything to worry about? Is a killer on the loose? Are they suspecting foul play or not?

Allergice reaction - then just release that at this time they do not suspect foul play. But we have heard nothing. Does that mean they have no clue and someone very dangerous could be out there?

If you think no one is spreading rumors, you haven't read any of the other 8 threads on this topic.

True ignorance is not knowing when to keep your mouth shut and your nose out of things. Let the police do the job they're paid to do. I highly doubt they'd leave someone dangerous on the streets, if they could prove that the person was in fact dangerous.

So, as I said before, why don't we let them do their job, get their test results, collect their information, and give us the FACTS when they have them?

Respectfully, that case was a suicide / suicide, therefore; it would serve no purpose for law enfocement or the Press to provide any further details. No crime was committed.

You are right, it would serve law enforcement no purpose to provide details. The press on the other hand, would elaborate on the unfortunate sad family event, and bring it to the attention of the public to satisfy their morbid curiousity. The Press has no conscience. I have seen it, I have expierenced it, and I loath it. In this case, the police will try their best to determine if this unattended death was truely and unattended death or if there is another party responsible for the death of young Katie Chappel. I would believe that there is no threat to the general public. I don't belive the Ditman case was solved in a couple of weeks. There is no statue of limitations on a homicide, if this is determined to be one. Of course, this is only my opinion.

I think it's sickening that our local rag of a paper hasn't done a single story about it in almost 2 weeks. Even then, the last article I remember was merely discussing her facebook page. We haven't heard a single quote from any law enforcement. We haven't heard a single quote from any of her friends & family.

In a small town like ours, it should be front and central news about whatever it is that has happened to her. I understand the police don't necessarily share that concern, but for our newspapers and radio stations, they should be ashamed to not even follow up on anything. Add to that for whatever reason it has been taboo on here, it's like nobopdy wants to admit anything might have happened.

Couldn't agree more. Why doesn't the paper solve this case already?

If you think no one is spreading rumors, you haven't read any of the other 8 threads on this topic.

True ignorance is not knowing when to keep your mouth shut and your nose out of things. Let the police do the job they're paid to do. I highly doubt they'd leave someone dangerous on the streets, if they could prove that the person was in fact dangerous.

So, as I said before, why don't we let them do their job, get their test results, collect their information, and give us the FACTS when they have them?

I am suspecting you are a cop since you think they do no wrong and don't make missteps.

And no, I guess I don't live on this board like you do soaking up every thread and the supposed gossip. Why are you so intimate with every thread if you are so against gossip?

That being said, I disagree respectfully with your opinion. I don't agree that Dr's. always know what is wrong with the patient and that police don't always know what happened in a death. My point is - tell us - suspicious or not - should the community have concern or not. It's simple. They don't need to give their "case" away. Just relieve some concerns or fears that that neighborhood or the community may have.

I am suspecting you are a cop since you think they do no wrong and don't make missteps.

And no, I guess I don't live on this board like you do soaking up every thread and the supposed gossip. Why are you so intimate with every thread if you are so against gossip?

That being said, I disagree respectfully with your opinion. I don't agree that Dr's. always know what is wrong with the patient and that police don't always know what happened in a death. My point is - tell us - suspicious or not - should the community have concern or not. It's simple. They don't need to give their "case" away. Just relieve some concerns or fears that that neighborhood or the community may have.

:rolleyes:

If the police felt there was a threat to the public it would be announced. The fear of being sued for not making the notification is very strong.

"Respectfully", you're full of it.

You're begging for details on the case, but yet you haven't read the other threads on the topic to see if they provide any? It has nothing to do with "living on this board". That's just common sense.

Also, could you please point out where anyone other than YOU said anything about police or doctors ALWAYS being right? my previous post simply says we should give them time to gather their facts.

I can't make it much more "simple" for you to understand.

I guess the only thing that can be hoped for is that , The family is able to eventually get closure from this. Thats all . It has nothing to do with most of us , but you just automatically feel terrible for the people left there guessing what happened to they're family member.

Police looking for people who saw woman

August 21, 2009

BINGHAMTON Binghamton Police are still looking to talk to people who saw 25-year-old Katie Chappell after 12:30 a.m. Aug. 12 when she was last seen around State and Collier streets in Binghamton.

She was found dead the next day at her apartment at 17 Kneeland Ave., Binghamton.

Binghamton Detective Sgt. Arnold Nanni said many people have already contacted the department and police have followed a lot of leads, but detectives still are looking to talk to more people who saw her.

"We're treating it as a suspicious case," he said.

Anyone with information is asked to call the detective division at (607) 772-7080.

I guess in your world five days is like two weeks. Let's give the cops time to properly investigate this. You don't want to rush to judgement when dealing with death.

You act like your concerned about Katie's family, but you come across as just being busy body.

I really feel for this family. I think it could have very well been a sudden death which does happen... But at the same time if their wasn't a certain name being thrown around whos family name alone may steer them away($$) do you think this would be so hush hush?? Press and scum are quick to run their CRAP but when told to be QUIET then they lay low. I personally think there is more to this!! and BPD has jumped the gun before and pretty recently and that ended up making them( and the big bad D.A) look ridiculous and it showed just how much they don't ALWAYS investigate properly! Could they be doing their job this time or could they be waiting for that big TIP that normally helps them with a arrest?? It will be interesting to see this one unravel.

God bless the family because EVERY family deserves closure to a loved ones death!

Good conspiracy theory.

When in the past has the local media started their own murder investigation?

I'm sure if her family called any station they would be happy to talk to them, but the media would hear it if they started calling family members, friends, co-workers to question them about their whereabouts.

The Press got delete just for running comments from Facebook.

So now we expect the five reporters at the Press to do murder investigations? I doubt anyone there has the training or expertise for that.

At some point people have to realize the limitation of the dying newspaper industry.

This site is supposed to be so good at scooping everyone, why doesn't someone here find out exactly what happened? Stick your name on top and print it. Just be careful when a libel suit comes your way.

If the Press isn't writing anything it's probably because they don't know anything. Sometimes the right answer is the simplest.

From WBNG.com

Investigation into the Death of Kimberly Hatch Concludes

The New York State Police in conjunction with the Broome County District Attorney’s Office announce the conclusion of a ten month investigation into the death of Kimberly R. Hatch, age 40, of 704 Shady Drive, Endwell, New York. On October 11, 2008, at 1:52 AM, Troopers responded to a 911 call of a female unresponsive at that location.

Upon arrival, Troopers located Kimberly Hatch deceased in the residence. An autopsy was conducted on that date by Dr. James Terzian, Forensic Pathologist at Lourdes Hospital, Binghamton, New York. The results of the autopsy and toxicological examination determined the cause of death to be from respiratory suppression with pulmonary edema, secondary to a drug overdose.

The drugs present which caused the overdose were determined to be Citalopram (Celexa) and Venlafaxine (Effexor), medications prescribed for depression and anxiety. Alcohol was additionally present, and the manner of death was ruled to be a suicide. Investigation into the death of Kimberly Hatch has been closed by investigation.

Archived