Kids and fishing

BlackKnight

The weather is starting to get nice and the streams and rivers will soon start to recede. Where is a good spot to take young children fishing ages 8 and 10? I would prefer one of the rivers and a spot where there are not a lot of people(kids like to throw rocks in the water). Kirkwood or Windsor area would be best. Thanks..................

Guest Whitney Point?
The weather is starting to get nice and the streams and rivers will soon start to recede. Where is a good spot to take young children fishing ages 8 and 10? I would prefer one of the rivers and a spot where there are not a lot of people(kids like to throw rocks in the water). Kirkwood or Windsor area would be best. Thanks..................

Though way out of the range of K-Wood or W-town I've always felt the Whitney Point Reservoir to be a nice peaceful place. Kind of isolated so there wouldn't be many people and I almost never see any kids there until school is out for the summer and the weather is hot.

Under the Route 17 underpass, behind Occanum Falls Court on Old Rt 17, down over the bank. It's pretty far down but nice down there. Hardly EVER see any one down there. My kids like playind down there. Hope it helps

I tried to do a search for you with no luck, but they used to have a Kids Fishing Day at State Park. (usually in early May) Maybe you could call and ask if they still have it. I've taken my guys several times and one year I even took my scouts, they had a blast! For $1 they got breakfast and lunch, raffle tickets and all sorts of different "classes" throughout the day. One year they each won a nice rod & reel, a book on fishing and a huge bag of tackle.

Though way out of the range of K-Wood or W-town I've always felt the Whitney Point Reservoir to be a nice peaceful place. Kind of isolated so there wouldn't be many people and I almost never see any kids there until school is out for the summer and the weather is hot.
i take my kids to the resevoir all the time. its still got ice on it right now but that'll be gone soon. you can access it from dorchester or from the back side. (kiebel rd) i usually use kiebel because you can move up and down the road and hit several different spots. also the old campground up the road has alot of access. from the old campground you can get to merrills creek. i can get you to some nice spots there if your interested. sorry i know nothing about kirkwood/windsor area.

Under the Route 17 underpass, behind Occanum Falls Court on Old Rt 17, down over the bank. It's pretty far down but nice down there. Hardly EVER see any one down there. My kids like playind down there. Hope it helps

Although I have lived in the Windsor area most of my life, is the area you mentioned on the East or West side of the river? Actually lived in West Windsor, now live in Kirkwood. Class of 196?.

Although I have lived in the Windsor area most of my life, is the area you mentioned on the East or West side of the river? Actually lived in West Windsor, now live in Kirkwood. Class of 196?.

No idea-sorry. Get off the Dunbar exit and heaad toward the Big M. It's the last underpass before you get to the Big M.

Guest Guest
Kids fishing day at State Park is nice. I have taken my kids to Cole Park and they liked it.

TWS

I went fishing there the one day and caught a tire :blink::blink::blink: That water is nasty!!!

@

Guest Guest

I am just going to go ahead and respond and if some else has with this info then oh well soory for a second post on it.

April 1st, first day of trout season. Given the ages, take them over to Chenango Valley State Park. You get in free and if you go to either the bridge area (which will be packed I'm sure) or to the upper end of the island area (there's a small creek that flows in the park and it makes one section a island). the Island area is nice if you go to the mouth (upper end) as have taken some nice trout out of there on the first couple days. Down by bridge area (waterfalls, swimming area) is where they actually stock the lake in the early spring.

Second choice would be Genny Creek in South West park of Greene. There are a few nice holes, but the best is by the old saw mill outside of Smithville Falts off 41.

GOOD LUCK ! ! !

Guest Guest

Try the riverwalk in downtown Binghamton. Not only good for fishing, but a great place to enjoy the emerging arts scene with your kids.

@

Guest Guest
Kids fishing day at State Park is nice. I have taken my kids to Cole Park and they liked it.

TWS

Yes Cole Park is good. From the boat launch, looking toward the right, follow the tree line. About 50 feet from shore. Fish shore to boat. Nightwalkers and top bait for some nice Bass. You might even get lucky and land a nice bullhead if you go about half way between the boat launch and the end ( right side same as above, only about 80 to 90 feet out from shore and down to bottom ),.

have fun.

@

Guest Guest
Try the riverwalk in downtown Binghamton. Not only good for fishing, but a great place to enjoy the emerging arts scene with your kids. you forgot the wifi

@

@

Guest Guest

Well if you want your kids to like fising i suggest you take them where they can catch some real fish! otherwise theyll never want to go.

Take them to Deposit and fish the delaware river not only is it great fising and they can catch big trout but its scenic and not crowded.

@

Guest Guest
Well if you want your kids to like fising i suggest you take them where they can catch some real fish! otherwise theyll never want to go.

Take them to Deposit and fish the delaware river not only is it great fising and they can catch big trout but its scenic and not crowded.

@

If you want to catch fish i suggest Forrest Hill Park in Windsor those fish and huge and they are hungry. You can fish right off the dam all day for a small price after may 15th when they open. Whoever stocked that place did a great job of it about 20 yrs ago.

If you want to catch fish i suggest Forrest Hill Park in Windsor those fish and huge and they are hungry. You can fish right off the dam all day for a small price after may 15th when they open. Whoever stocked that place did a great job of it about 20 yrs ago.

I think I need to get to Windsor more ofter. Forrest Hill Park sounds great. Where is it? Thanks.....

Thanks I know where you mean. I believe that is a creek. Do you know what kink(s) of fish are in there?

sorry-- I have no idea what kind of fish. I do know that your kids can throw as many rocks as they want and not hurt anything, the swimming isn't that bad either and the water fall is alot of fun. You just have to be careful with the little ones on the waterfall though, because it can be swift at times.

Guest Guest
I saw an ad for the kids fishing day tonite, it's May 10th at Chenango Valley State Park.

It really is a great time for kids and families.

@

Thanks for the info

Archived