Boys basketball 2009-10

Guest guest

I was actually on the committee to get WP out of STAC. Everyone forgets, we were FORCED into STAC in 2000.....where our girls' basketball team came in and won STAC two years in a row....and our graduating class was almost 2 times larger than it is today. SO....it is about size...which is why both STAC and IAC agreed that WP was too small for STAC but too large for MAC ... so they belonged in the IAC.

As far as Seton being the smallest....they are a PRIVATE school who offer scholarships....they get their best athletes from all over....I'd dare to guess how many athletes at Seton are NOT Catholic !!! It's apples & oranges....so you actually got YOUR facts screwed up PAL.

Lol stop trying to rationalize WP being terrible at basketball by saying Seton recruits...look at the team last year of this year. Every player but one has been going to Catholic school since at least middle school! They must have some REALLY good young talent scouts! Also Seton does not offer athletic scholarships...

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was actually on the committee to get WP out of STAC. Everyone forgets, we were FORCED into STAC in 2000.....where our girls' basketball team came in and won STAC two years in a row....and our graduating class was almost 2 times larger than it is today. SO....it is about size...which is why both STAC and IAC agreed that WP was too small for STAC but too large for MAC ... so they belonged in the IAC.

As far as Seton being the smallest....they are a PRIVATE school who offer scholarships....they get their best athletes from all over....I'd dare to guess how many athletes at Seton are NOT Catholic !!! It's apples & oranges....so you actually got YOUR facts screwed up PAL.

It's doubtful that you were ever on that committee. And BTW, every Seton player this year came up from Catholic grade school and every one of them is Catholic.

Another thing. WP has less than 10 more students per grade than Sidney and Greene in the MAC.

The only reason WP didn't go to the MAC is that they wouldn't have been competitive enough to even beat some of their small school division teams like Delhi and Oxford.

It's doubtful that you were ever on that committee. And BTW, every Seton player this year came up from Catholic grade school and every one of them is Catholic.

Another thing. WP has less than 10 more students per grade than Sidney and Greene in the MAC.

The only reason WP didn't go to the MAC is that they wouldn't have been competitive enough to even beat some of their small school division teams like Delhi and Oxford.

Sorry to disappoint you....but I WAS on the committee....we met with the IAC at the TST BOCES in Ithaca....a committee of administrators and parents with all of the AD's from IAC - who then presented it to their Superintendents....and you are wrong about WP fitting into the MAC.....they did not want a larger school in the league.

The saddest thing of all about some of these posts, is that people don't support one another.....shouldn't we want ALL kids to perform well and have every opportunity to have a good experience? The hate and nastieness is so sad....and I really pity how you would attack a school that has struggled. I will say that our kids have kept their integrity and their heads held high....without stooping to insults...and for that more than ANYTHING we are proud.

Shame on you.....I hope you aren't part of Seton....because I'd hate to think that someone who is supposed to be representing a faith based school would be full of so much hate......you need to go to confession :)

Ill chime in on this.....

you dont know what you are talking about. WP applied to join the MAC and it was voted down by the current members. WP was viewed as too large a school for a conference that is mostly C's and D's.

This season WP would be one of the better teams in the MAC, they beat/played even with Greene in a scrimmage, if they were to have been voted in two years ago. They played a good SV team very tough last night and have improved greatly over the team they put on the floor the past several seasons.

I would also contend that WP was a bad fit for the STAC due to demographics more so then size. The district is HUGE geogrpahically and is very rural and is one of the most economically depressed districts in the state. The kids are spread out and do not have the oppurtunities to play in the many youth leagues that STAC schools have available for their kids. When WP was a powerhouse they were competing against schools that were similiar in demographics and size. They are again in a conference with similiar schools. Do not twist that statement and say that I now think they will become the powerhouse they once were but They certainly will be more competive. Especially in a year or two when enrollments drop them to a class C school again.

That is no excuse to be that bad at basketball, look at norwich, and oneonta. Eaach game they have travel at least an hour for the binghamton schools, and sometime two for SV and Owego. To say that the demographics and rural layout is a complete excuse. Norwich and Oneonta are demographically about the same, and are just as rural if not more! So WP shouldnt be making those excuses, they should just work harder and not settle for losin seasons ever year, and try to get out of STAC. becuase as of now, its usually an easy win for even the worst teams in STAC

Regardless of the facts invloving WP leaving STAC and joining the IAC-MIC/MAC Paddywack what-ever ...

I find it difficult to believe that someone who would pen this type of post would be even remotely involved in a commitee that represented a school district in this type of decision.

QUOTE (Guest @ Dec 5 2009, 11:47 AM)

You sound like a 14 year old WP student arguing your point with unfounded allegations and childish retorts.

That is no excuse to be that bad at basketball, look at norwich, and oneonta. Eaach game they have travel at least an hour for the binghamton schools, and sometime two for SV and Owego. To say that the demographics and rural layout is a complete excuse. Norwich and Oneonta are demographically about the same, and are just as rural if not more! So WP shouldnt be making those excuses, they should just work harder and not settle for losin seasons ever year, and try to get out of STAC. becuase as of now, its usually an easy win for even the worst teams in STAC

Do you have any idea what youre talking about?? I never said anything about travel. The geopraphic difference I was referring too is the fact that some kids within the district have up to half hour drives to the school!! and have ZERO facilities close enough to them to take advantage of. Oneonta and Norwich have almost NOTHING in common with the WP district. They are urban/suburban areas. Norwich has a top notch YMCA for kids to play at. Oneonta has two colleges in the area. Oneonta is a city for christ sakes!! they are two of the worst examples you could have used in comaring WP with STAC schools. A better argument would have been Windsor, CV, or CF. But even those areas are more centrally located and not as poor a district as WP.

Regardless of the facts invloving WP leaving STAC and joining the IAC-MIC/MAC Paddywack what-ever ...

I find it difficult to believe that someone who would pen this type of post would be even remotely involved in a commitee that represented a school district in this type of decision.

QUOTE (Guest @ Dec 5 2009, 11:47 AM)

You sound like a 14 year old WP student arguing your point with unfounded allegations and childish retorts.

its hilarious that people actually do believe seton recruits. they are a private school, they give grants to kids in need of assistance for schooling based on academic excellence. kids from the area are drawn to seton athletics because of their success on and off the playing fields. they do not give money and thats just an excuse why your teams get wiped up every year by seton. whitney point athletic program is a joke to say the least and shouldnt even be allowed to be mentioned with sports in general.

as far as people asking the years outlooks its always the same. seton will beat cv as always and win the east. ue will be strong. sv me and wp as always are less than pathetic. vestal always has a good team. windsor and norwich will have decent teams. binghamton is full of talent but no luck winning with springer. jc players will get arrested by january and will have no shot at success. forks is a joke and should stick to football. that pretty much sums it up.

Guest satanic view
its hilarious that people actually do believe seton recruits. they are a private school, they give grants to kids in need of assistance for schooling based on academic excellence. kids from the area are drawn to seton athletics because of their success on and off the playing fields. they do not give money and thats just an excuse why your teams get wiped up every year by seton. whitney point athletic program is a joke to say the least and shouldnt even be allowed to be mentioned with sports in general.

as far as people asking the years outlooks its always the same. seton will beat cv as always and win the east. ue will be strong. sv me and wp as always are less than pathetic. vestal always has a good team. windsor and norwich will have decent teams. binghamton is full of talent but no luck winning with springer. jc players will get arrested by january and will have no shot at success. forks is a joke and should stick to football. that pretty much sums it up.

Seton has beaten bingo more than not , during springer tenure?? i will be interested for your reply.. gelani and barnett, excellent catholic students? tooth fairy will be next. students are recruited basketball abillities considered... ues rose.. another born catholic.... say ten hail ms for your pennance....

Seton has beaten bingo more than not , during springer tenure?? i will be interested for your reply.. gelani and barnett, excellent catholic students? tooth fairy will be next. students are recruited basketball abillities considered... ues rose.. another born catholic.... say ten hail ms for your pennance....

LOL you really don't like Seton do you?

Guest satanic view
LOL you really don't like Seton do you?

personal preferences were checked at heavens gate... asked questions, stated facts...looking for answers... not working mysteriously at all...

I'm sorry, but did it ever occur to you that perhaps these kids' parents are just looking for an alternative to the Binghamton or Union Endicott School System, athletics aside? With respect to athletics, did it ever occur to you that perhaps parents of opposing teams look at Seton's coaches and players and their consistent success, at least in basketball, and think that perhaps it would be a good environment for their children? In other words, the decision to consider Seton was the parents and not anything done proactively by the school, its coaches or its students? Watch the Seton players during the games, you see almost no complaining to the refs (Chris Furner aside), no self-egrandizement (sp?) upon making a good play. They are disciplined kids who play the right way and are respectful on the court. Maybe parents from other schools who see that think, "Hmm, maybe my son or daughter would benefit from this environment." Think about it, dumbas*. Maybe when you are a parent (if you aren't already) you would understand. Then again you probably never will understand.

Guest Satanic view
I'm sorry, but did it ever occur to you that perhaps these kids' parents are just looking for an alternative to the Binghamton or Union Endicott School System, athletics aside? With respect to athletics, did it ever occur to you that perhaps parents of opposing teams look at Seton's coaches and players and their consistent success, at least in basketball, and think that perhaps it would be a good environment for their children? In other words, the decision to consider Seton was the parents and not anything done proactively by the school, its coaches or its students? Watch the Seton players during the games, you see almost no complaining to the refs (Chris Furner aside), no self-egrandizement (sp?) upon making a good play. They are disciplined kids who play the right way and are respectful on the court. Maybe parents from other schools who see that think, "Hmm, maybe my son or daughter would benefit from this environment." Think about it, dumbas*. Maybe when you are a parent (if you aren't already) you would understand. Then again you probably never will understand.

F ather Flanagan the topic is about recruiting.... not getting into heaven.... About four thousand a year will get you there., i believe without any tax breaks.. most people can not afford it..... give them a few bucks, disguise it as some do good deed and walla ypur in.... perhaps you play basketball? johnson, rose etc... whether seton is heaven or not ,heavenly methods are not always used to get their student athletes...

how the hell does seton recruit,

name 5 players they recruited last year

you cant do it

out of the two teams that reached the final four in the state last year, baseball and basketball, two players came to seton

EVERYONE else went to catholic schools since kindergarten

how the heck is that recruiting

exactly

how the hell does seton recruit,

name 5 players they recruited last year

you cant do it

out of the two teams that reached the final four in the state last year, baseball and basketball, two players came to seton

EVERYONE else went to catholic schools since kindergarten

how the heck is that recruiting

what about last years seton girls team....two of the starters went to CV. hawkes through 8th and harrington through 10th... think about it 2 of the starting 5 at seton were transfers from the team that eventually beat them in the playoff...CV.

what about last years seton girls team....two of the starters went to CV. hawkes through 8th and harrington through 10th... think about it 2 of the starting 5 at seton were transfers from the team that eventually beat them in the playoff...CV.

Are you really bringing up GIRLS BASKETBALL...girls sports?? Actually its girls “hobbies” because girls have no athleticism what so ever. Out of the past 10 years, Seton boys basketball have won 7 division crowns. (5 straight). Can you name 3 players in the past 10 years Seton has “RECRUITED”? Well I sure can’t and that’s because they haven’t recruited. All you jealous and envious people out there grow up and realize Seton has a good program because of hard work and dedication. Not because they have recruited athletes…Frankly they do not have athletes. I’ll make it easier for you Seton-haters to see what players got recruited to come to Seton from last years state finalists team…

Dan Gosney, Chris Furner, Mike Perrault, Pat Manni, Patrick Matthews, Bob Garbade, and Tom Torto- St. John’s Middle School.

Devin Kane, CJ Tilyou- OLS/ Seton Middle

Dan Farrell, Joe Martin- St. James Middle School

Matt Meier- St. Joe’s Middle School

Greg Johnson-Johnson City...(Yeah HUGE contributor…well to the opposing teams with all his turnovers)

So if you can name any player that was “recruited” by Seton please let me know!

Norwich and Oneonta are demographically about the same as WHITNEY POINT!?!?!?!?!?!? Are you insane???? Have you ever been to Norwich or Oneonta???? Have you ever been to Whitney Point???? CANDOR is more "city" than Whitney Point!!!!

PLEASE don't insult us with this weak ass drivel, everyone knows Seton recruits, my little cousin went to Seton a few years back and he was recruited. I remember sitting at my Aunt and Uncles house listening to them talk to my parents about whether they should take the offer and have him play at Seton or be the Star player at his own school. The tuition was being taken care of if he chose Seton. Don't insult everybody

PLEASE don't insult us with this weak ass drivel, everyone knows Seton recruits, my little cousin went to Seton a few years back and he was recruited. I remember sitting at my Aunt and Uncles house listening to them talk to my parents about whether they should take the offer and have him play at Seton or be the Star player at his own school. The tuition was being taken care of if he chose Seton. Don't insult everybody

Hey cousin I wasn't recruited..you should have been paying more attention.

Archived