Code Enforcement Photos: Have You Seen These?

Guest Stephen P. Jensen

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile, because this has plates on it, despite it sinking into the ground and sitting in garbage-strewn back across from Tom's Coffee & Gifts parking lot (and his new, very nice electric sign) and Main Street, THIS JEEP IS LEGAL, according the City of Binghamton law, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it!

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/J...ent=Code363.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks to the gentleman who called my cell phone this morning, regarding the ridiculous property on Thorpe. How is that allowed to happen?

To be fair, he mentioned, in his voice mail, that his councilwoman was "working with them" on the issue. Meanwhile, early this morning, this is what the property looks like:

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/J...ent=Code357.jpg

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/J...ent=Code359.jpg

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/J...ent=Code360.jpg

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/J...ent=Code361.jpg

Let's hope for the gentleman who called and left me the message, and for the rest of this neighborhood (which, by the way, has some problematic properties, but also has some clearly conscientious property owners and residents), that this property is cleaned up and this situation is rectified soon. It's got to be ridiculously difficult to live with that near your home every day.

If there's anything else I can do to help, let me know and I'll try.

-SPJ

Guest Old School

My initial response to this thread was in support of an individual who owned a "vintage" car and was unable to complete the long term project due to lack of funds or availability of parts. After review of all responses, it's apparent the original citation was driven by some other motivation than the supposed "junk vehicle", without plates or insurance, was in violation of the "letter of the law". I'm very confused at this point, so I'd like to ask some questions. 1) Who is in CHARGE of Code Enforcement? 2) By Law, where is the barrier that Code can cite violators? (for instance, an abandoned dwelling consuming an excessive amount of water which may or may not have "squatters" living there, owned by an out of state interest, or given up for taxes) Does the Code enforcement officer have the right to enter said household and inspect the premises for code violations while the drug addicts are still sleeping at the start of shift (7:00 A.M.), or is the CODE Officer precluded from entering said household until all the occupants wake up and go to work selling illegal drugs? 3) How did Code Enforcement become combined with "Graffitti Abatement"? For goodness sakes, the graffiti problem can be solved with a coat of paint the first time, a fence the second time, and razor wire the third. I thought Code Enforcement was assigned more important responsibilties, such as electrical, plumbing, and boiler codes which develop into a catastrophic loss of life. Why would these responsibilities be under the same umbrella?? 4) During the Bucci Administration, Firemen and Police were assigned some other responsibilties to take care of during their "free time", including Code enforcement. It was a bad idea then, and it still doesn't work. The City of Binghamton looks worse this year from years previous, and it's blatantly obvious for anyone who believed the "Working Families Party" included anyone who had a job, or used to. Using Code Enforcement to seek out "Vintage" vehicles while the housing stock degrades into a "squatter's" paradise ignores reality.

Old School ...

1. David Chadwick. I wasn't aware of this until last week, but he took over earlier this year after having been the head of the building and construction division at City Hall for several years (not sure how long, but he held that position when I started working at City Hall in April of 1996).

2. Good question. I don't have the answer at this point.

3. Through all this, I've learned that, coincidentally, the wife of Chris Schleider, code inspector, heads up the "graffiti abatement" effort. There have been some comments posted regarding her (and her husband's) allegiance to Matt Ryan and his election campaign, but for me, those are rumors. I don't know that that's the case, although it may very well be.

My question about the graffiti abatement position, though, is ... what is this person's job? Is it a salaried position? I assume she has an office in, or works out of an existing office in City Hall, because I spoke earlier this week with someone who's a City Hall veteran employee (pre-dates this administration, as well as the Bucci administration) and this person said the graffiti abatement woman (I apologize ... I don't know her name) is in and around City Hall often.

4. Since I worked for Bucci, I can say with certainty that, at one point, firefighters were being cross-trained in code enforcement. It wasn't as though they were asked to go out and do "code sweeps," per se. It was more of a thing, as I recall it, where, when they'd be called out on a paramedic run, if they encountered an egregious housing code violation, they'd make note and report back for follow-up. I do not recall the police being involved in such an effort.

-SPJ

Ya know, regarding the "code sweeps," I take that back. At least at the very beginning of that initiative, there were a handful of firefighters who would be involved in the "sweeps." Then, over time, the "sweeps" fell by the wayside, for whatever reason.

In 2005, when I was on City Council, I proposed that code sweeps be performed, one each month, revolving through the councilmanic districts, and the rest of Council supported that thought, across the board.

-SPJ

@

Steve I walk in your shoes daily we are having problems in our neighborhood also. I understand code is supposed to make a sweep through our ward this month. My neighbor said if he recieves a citation he wants to go through the ward taking pictures, as you have done. I have a piece of facia missing and will get it fixed shortly. It will be interesting if I get cited. And I will not mind as long as the people who own the properties you have photos of get cited also. Right is right. I do not ride my bicycle down town anymore because of the bad roads or for that matter anywhwere in the city. Good luck

Well I guess the plan is working then. See? You have decided to fix your facia. I wonder if you would be planning to do so right now if this thread hadn't alerted you to citations being given. Thank you for fixing it. Perhaps a few more homeowners with much more serious violations will start to repair & clean up as result of this thread. Note: I personally do not believe a small infraction like defective facia would cause a citation, but that's just me. Nonetheless, I can only hope others are cleaning up their properties as result of TWS's whining post. [hey - I'm special - you can't cite me! It's a corvette! ]

Guest Guest
My initial response to this thread was in support of an individual who owned a "vintage" car and was unable to complete the long term project due to lack of funds or availability of parts. After review of all responses, it's apparent the original citation was driven by some other motivation than the supposed "junk vehicle", without plates or insurance, was in violation of the "letter of the law". I'm very confused at this point, so I'd like to ask some questions. 1) Who is in CHARGE of Code Enforcement? 2) By Law, where is the barrier that Code can cite violators? (for instance, an abandoned dwelling consuming an excessive amount of water which may or may not have "squatters" living there, owned by an out of state interest, or given up for taxes) Does the Code enforcement officer have the right to enter said household and inspect the premises for code violations while the drug addicts are still sleeping at the start of shift (7:00 A.M.), or is the CODE Officer precluded from entering said household until all the occupants wake up and go to work selling illegal drugs? 3) How did Code Enforcement become combined with "Graffitti Abatement"? For goodness sakes, the graffiti problem can be solved with a coat of paint the first time, a fence the second time, and razor wire the third. I thought Code Enforcement was assigned more important responsibilties, such as electrical, plumbing, and boiler codes which develop into a catastrophic loss of life. Why would these responsibilities be under the same umbrella?? 4) During the Bucci Administration, Firemen and Police were assigned some other responsibilties to take care of during their "free time", including Code enforcement. It was a bad idea then, and it still doesn't work. The City of Binghamton looks worse this year from years previous, and it's blatantly obvious for anyone who believed the "Working Families Party" included anyone who had a job, or used to. Using Code Enforcement to seek out "Vintage" vehicles while the housing stock degrades into a "squatter's" paradise ignores reality.

OMG what does drug addicts sleeping late have to do with anything? bogus post - don't even bother reading this lengthy dribble. And no honey, I am not a drug addict. I distain drugs, both illegal and RX. I wonder if you can say the same given your rambling nonsense.

C'mon. I doubt that's Tarik. He wouldn't be critical of someone working for change after seeing a problem with a policy, after all. Nor would Matt Ryan.

The two of them are clearly opposed to all-things-war and demonstrate against it non-stop. And their compadre Stephen Schweitzer has gone so far as to trespass on a government installation and be arrested in protest.

So, I highly doubt any of them would be so hypocritical as to anonymously call me a "whiner." Just wouldn't happen.

-SPJ

Well I guess the plan is working then. See? You have decided to fix your fascia. I wonder if you would be planning to do so right now if this thread hadn't alerted you to citations being given. Thank you for fixing it. Perhaps a few more homeowners with much more serious violations will start to repair & clean up as result of this thread. Note: I personally do not believe a small infraction like defective fascia would cause a citation, but that's just me. Nonetheless, I can only hope others are cleaning up their properties as result of TWS's whining post. [hey - I'm special - you can't cite me! It's a corvette! ]

[/quote

My property is clean it doe's take an effort lately my new neighbors are destroying parts of my property (cannot prove it) fence smashed into my new shed 1400 dollars. Lucky they do not live by you. Ongoing battle to have them removed. Installed cameras and recorders etc. Council woman very helpful. Long story making my own brake to make fascia. Have time retired. Do not mind being cited. My point is, it is very easy to get discouraged when people move into an area who have no respect for your property or anyones property and slowly destroy the surrounding area. Because they have gotten away with it for years. And they eventually move on. You will find out if they move next to you that you are virtually defenseless against them. No matter how powerful you may think you are. My other point is the city is very dirty, Why don't we have all the inmates out cleaning the streets as well as those on welfare?

Archived