Code Enforcement Photos: Have You Seen These?

Guest Stephen P. Jensen

Guest Stephen P. Jensen

Greetings ...

Some of you may already know my recent saga. Long story short, my '81 Corvette, tucked behind my house, under a car port, and wrapped nicely in a fitted car cover, was, in January, cited by Binghamton code official Chris Schleider as a "junk car" stored in the open, "under tarp."

According to the law that appears on the books, I learned that my car actually is a "junk vehicle," which, of course, is silliness. I appeared in court a couple weeks ago and pleaded "not guilty" to get a hearing, coming up in April. In the meantime, I'll attempt to make the point that while I appreciate strict code enforcement, common sense must prevail, and ultimately, the language of this particular law must reflect that intelligence.

Keep in mind when you view the photos I've taken around the city (most, to date, on or near the West Side), many of these are chronic problems that have remained apparent housing code violations for YEARS.

I'll continue to update the photo album(s) I've created (I have about 50-75 more photos yet to be added, with many more to come), and so far, there is 1. the main page with more than 100 possible violations, almost all viewable from the curb, 2. my "junk vehicle," which was not a complaint-driven issue by any neighbor, but a walk-by violation written by Mr. Schleider, and 3. several instances of graffiti in the city (I understand the city now has a "graffiti abatement coordinator," who appears to need assistance in locating graffiti to abate).

Do you think these are code violations?

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/Jensen1964/

-SPJ

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

Excellent -- and disgusting -- pictures!

I am continually appalled when I see this kind of crap all over the city. I think it's time to start blowing these types of pictures up onto large poster boards and start having everyone bring them down to city council meetings!!!

IDGAF ... every one.

Granted, there are equal numbers of fantastic looking properties and neighborhoods. But the shocking thing, for me, is that many of those fantastically kept neighborhoods border on some of these streets and blocks I've photographed here.

The frustration for many of us living in Binghamton's solid, middle-class neighborhoods (I'm not a particularly wealthy man, by most standards), is that these other situations are creeping our way. My personal frustration is that while Mr. Schleider was citing my "junk," these other problems remained, many of which were problems I pointed out to code enforcement (and pushed for media stories about) while on City Council in 2005.

Many of these are also on Charlotte Street, which, in my view, is a perfect locale for additional small industry to locate. What's needed is for the city to take this area through eminent domain procedure(s), level most of these ramshackle buildings and market the properties for either new businesses, or expansion by those already there.

I spoke at a City Council meeting early last year (2007) and mentioned this as a need for Councilman Bob Weslar to push for. He spoke, on the record, and mentioned in response that he was "looking into" eminent domain. Then he ran for, and retained his City Council seat last fall.

Have any of you heard ANYTHING about Charlotte Street and eminent domain? Anything at all?

I pay attention to such things, and I've heard zero. Perhaps I'm wrong, and there's a secret-agent effort afoot. But drive down Charotte, stop and take your own photos, and tell me why I should think something is under way.

-SPJ

Also ... I understand that a new position was created, the title of which is something to the effect of "Graffiti Abatement Coordinator."

Here are some photos I took in a matter of about 30 minutes, just driving around the West Side and First Ward areas (I haven't even ventured over to the North Side, South Side or East Side yet):

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/J...ffiti%203-2008/

I've also learned, over the past week or two, that Chris Schleider's wife is that "Graffiti Abatement Coordinator."

Fans of irony will enjoy that immensely.

-SPJ

Guest Guest
Also ... I understand that a new position was created, the title of which is something to the effect of "Graffiti Abatement Coordinator."

Here are some photos I took in a matter of about 30 minutes, just driving around the West Side and First Ward areas (I haven't even ventured over to the North Side, South Side or East Side yet):

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/J...ffiti%203-2008/

I've also learned, over the past week or two, that Chris Schleider's wife is that "Graffiti Abatement Coordinator."

Fans of irony will enjoy that immensely.

-SPJ

Speaking of crap -- what happened to Mason Avenue? Holy crap! That used to be a nice street. Now it looks like CRAP!

Guest Reddi Kilowatt

I've been thru the whole crap of 'junk vehicles' in Binghamton. All you have to do is take the title down to the code inforcement office, and prove that you own that car, and they cannot make you get rid of it.

I ran into that one day when I lived on West End Ave., my neighbor called code inforcement on me and my dad because we were working on my car in the driveway all the time, and she didn't like it, and we had a 1990 Toyota Corolla in the garage, and I went out one day to go in the garage, and the code inforcement officer walked into our garage, and looked at the car, and said "this is not your car, you can't have it here". I told him he was just going to have to talk to my dad before I did anything with the car, so the next day, my dad went over to his office, showed him the signed title and bill of sale, and they guy actually apologized to my dad, and told him we were ok to have the car there...

As I see, your car is covered, and I am assuming you do have a title with your name on it, if I remember right, we were told as long as it's covered, and you own it, then there is nothing they can do about it.

Greetings ...

Some of you may already know my recent saga. Long story short, my '81 Corvette, tucked behind my house, under a car port, and wrapped nicely in a fitted car cover, was, in January, cited by Binghamton code official Chris Schleider as a "junk car" stored in the open, "under tarp."

According to the law that appears on the books, I learned that my car actually is a "junk vehicle," which, of course, is silliness. I appeared in court a couple weeks ago and pleaded "not guilty" to get a hearing, coming up in April. In the meantime, I'll attempt to make the point that while I appreciate strict code enforcement, common sense must prevail, and ultimately, the language of this particular law must reflect that intelligence.

Keep in mind when you view the photos I've taken around the city (most, to date, on or near the West Side), many of these are chronic problems that have remained apparent housing code violations for YEARS.

I'll continue to update the photo album(s) I've created (I have about 50-75 more photos yet to be added, with many more to come), and so far, there is 1. the main page with more than 100 possible violations, almost all viewable from the curb, 2. my "junk vehicle," which was not a complaint-driven issue by any neighbor, but a walk-by violation written by Mr. Schleider, and 3. several instances of graffiti in the city (I understand the city now has a "graffiti abatement coordinator," who appears to need assistance in locating graffiti to abate).

-SPJ

Of course they are going to bother you, you are going to fix the problem.

Drive around on the West Side. You can go right down Leroy and see couches and armchairs on the porches during the warmer months. I discussed this with code and they said that they respond to code violations based on complaints. Common sense says that if I can see it that they can see it as they drive by. Go figure.

The solution - more meetings and talk. Or perhaps we can add another position - neighborhood grass cutting coordinator?

More time and more chances. Showing the world that Binghamton means business.

TWS

@

OP should put addresses and dates to the photos and put them in to (1) Code Enforcement, (2) Building and Construction, (3) Planning, Housing and Community Development, (4) Mayor Ryan, (5) City Council, and (6) Greater Binghamton Chamber of Commerce.

If no action ensues, take to the media along with date submitted to the above.

One "glitch" in City laws is that the Property Maintenance Code does not extend to (1) UNINHABITED buildings, including accessory buildings such as the garages and (2) private yards not part of a rental property (except for height of grass). Just ask Dave Chadwick, he'll tell you his "hands are tied" on these.

As for Mason Avenue, the City may have found a home-grown investor who has already bought one burned-out building and is seeking to buy another.

@

Guest Guest

Ah, the old 'he did it too' tactic. It works so well for speeders and three year olds that one can see why you might apply it to your circumstance. Defending the case on it's facts is fine but trying to defend it because other people have violations too is just juvenile.

Guest Guest
Ah, the old 'he did it too' tactic. It works so well for speeders and three year olds that one can see why you might apply it to your circumstance. Defending the case on it's facts is fine but trying to defend it because other people have violations too is just juvenile.

I don't think the OP is being juvenile. When the code violations are so numerous and as obscene as they are in this city, it makes a mockery out of the whole thing to cite others for minor infractions.

Someone mentioned Code will not do anything until someone actually complains. Well, why don't we help them out? Let's pick a few places each day, post the pictures and addresses here, and then have everyone call that day on those particular sites. The next day, we do the same and continue each day. Would that work?

Guest Guest

GREAT PICS DIPICTING THE STATE OF THE CITY IN WHICH ******* RAYAN AND HIS 40 THIEVES ARE DEASTROYING THE CITY VIA CODE INFRACTIONS ON LAW ABIDING TAXPAYERS, GREAT JOB STEVE IM SURE ITS ONLY SCRATCHING THE SURFACE!

NOW HE WANTS A 42% WATER RATE INCREASE ! I DEMAND AN AUDIT!

If you consider this exercise to be "juvenile," that's fine. I'm not at all saying that because others do something wrong, I should be allowed to do the same. Your interpretation of this shows you're looking at it on a far too simplistic level.

My point is twofold, I suppose: First, the law is flawed and unrealistic. And second, if the impetus for my situation was not complaint-driven, as Mr. Schleider stated to me, then why are the properties pictured (with many more to come) allowed to sit idle, virtual trash pits, in some cases, and my property, which is, by and large, well kept, making its way through the Binghamton city court system?

I think it's a fair question, and it centers on priorities.

It might also be fair to note here that I am a former City Council member, not of the party of the current Council majority, or of the administration in City Hall today. I refuse to believe I was targeted due to my previous political position and/or affiliations. There are several, though, who have told me they believe otherwise. Food for thought.

-SPJ

Regarding the question about Kradjian and Affify properties, I'm not targeting any person or business.

A couple days ago I took a few photos at the corner of Main and Front streets because the Walter Shoe building came up in the conversation on another thread. I understand that's a Kradjian-owned property. Some of the others I've photographed may also be Kradjian-owned, but I truly don't know.

Regarding Affify properties, I was on the North Side and around downtown this morning and because Affify has signs plastered on the sides of his properties, I know I have some now of his spots. Perhaps 2 or 3, possibly 4.

The catalyst for me taking any picture, though, is pure appearance. That said, I acknowledge that I am not a city housing code expert and some of the photos may show properties that are not in violation. If I post a photo, however, I guess what I'm saying is that, in my view, it ought to receive attention from the city's code enforcement department.

Also, I want to note that in my travels, I'm seeing numerous unlicensed vehicles, uncovered and partially covered, some which I think we'd all call "junk," some in a little better shape, and I have not photographed or targeted any of those.

-SPJ

Guest Guest

Here is a resource place for you. You will see that often a code refers to another code then to another.

Link to NYS Codes (note that local municipalities can and may have stricter codes)

http://ecodes.iccsafe.org/iccf/gateway.dll...&vid=icc:ny

I agree that strict code enforcement makes a huge difference. I do not live in the City of Binghamton but yesterday I drove from Broome County to Chenango County on rt 7 and at the county line there is a huge difference.

Strict code enforcement has to start somewhere. I’m sure that code enforcement officials are overwhelmed in some places. Where do you start? Wherever you do those people WILL feel singled out….. Look at all the other violations, you should start with theirs, NOT MINE!

The very simple truth is a violation is a violation. They have to start somewhere and it will take time to start seeing a difference. Just like the NYS Troopers out there; they Do make a difference but people will still speed.

NYS Property Maintence Code

302.8 Motor vehicles. Except as otherwise provided for in statute or other regulations, two or more inoperative or unlicensed motor vehicles shall not be parked, kept or stored on any premises, and no vehicle shall at any time be in a state of major disassembly, disrepair, or in the process of being stripped or dismantled. Painting of vehicles is prohibited unless conducted inside an approved spray booth.

Exception: A vehicle of any type is permitted to undergo major overhaul, including body work, provided that such work is performed inside a structure or similarly enclosed area designed and approved for such purposes.

INOPERABLE MOTOR VEHICLE. A vehicle which cannot be driven upon the public streets for reasons including but not limited to being unlicensed, wrecked, abandoned, in a state of disrepair, or incapable of being moved under its own power.

107.2 Vacant structures. Vacant structures shall comply with Sections F311.1 through F311.4 of the Fire Code of New York State.

NYS Fire Code

311.1 General. Temporarily unoccupied buildings, structures, premises or portions thereof, including tenant spaces, shall be safeguarded and maintained in accordance with this section.

311.4 Removal of hazardous materials. Persons owning or having charge or control of a vacant building containing hazardous materials regulated by Chapter 27 shall comply with the facility closure requirements of Section 2701.6 .

Guest country girl
Greetings ...

-SPJ

I have a question regarding the last picture on page 7.........is that the building just before the underpass on Jarvis, going toward Clinton St? If so, I heard stories about the inside of the building, dont know how true it is but I heard there are some terrorist type writings / graffiti.

I don't know anything about the inside of that building, but yes, that's the one.

Steve I would like to tell you of another situation a family member of mine was cited by code because her (like new) 19,000 mile Gray Chevy Monte Carlo sitting at her house as she has a NY Dealers licence.

I would like you to take a picture and post it for all to see how much of a JUNK CAR it is!!!!!

You are absolutly right about Common Sense!

I'd be glad to.

Either post the address here, or if you're not comfortable doing that, my cell phone is on the "Chris Schleider is Satan" thread. :)

Interesting sidebar ...

Just heard from a friend I hadn't spoken with in a while. He mentioned that this situation reminded him that his neighbor has had a nice "sports car" (I'm being non-specific purposely) behind his property for three years, unregistered uncovered. My friend said it's not an issue for him, and the car owner is a nice guy and solid neighbor.

The funny part of it, he said, is that Keith Heron (former code director and current inspector) has walked past this car on a few occasions to cite other nearby problems, and hasn't paid a lick of attention to it.

Archived