Code Enforcement Photos: Have You Seen These?

Guest Stephen P. Jensen

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thibnk my favorite in this new batch of code enforcement question marks is the classic Mustang, on blocks, in the back yard just feet from Conlon Field in McArthur Park on the city's South Side.

The cynic in me won out when I responded to a phone call about this situation, which the caller identified as "ongoing" for as long as 3 years. The caller happened to mention that this property also openly endorsed a Democrat for City Council (Mr. Massey) with political law signs during last fall's election cycle.

One wonders if Mr. Massey endorses this type of "yard art."

Keep in mind, this is DIRECTLY adjacent to the McArthur Park (city park, mind you) entrance, and is currently visible from as far away as the Vestal parkway.

More ...

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/J.../Code%204-1-08/

Guest Guest

It's like fishing, you try to catch the big one, not all of em. Might you be a Republican Steve?

politics enter into a whole bunch of decisions. Somebody kissing up to Ryan, I imagine.

good luck in court.

Guest Guest
The caller happened to mention that this property also openly endorsed a Democrat for City Council (Mr. Massey) with political law signs during last fall's election cycle.

One wonders if Mr. Massey endorses this type of "yard art."

Great...the caller just happened to mention that, huh?

So, if it happened to you, it's bad, and if it happens to them, it's ok?

Sorry, I'm not a Ryan plant, and I would've voted for Chris had I lived in that district, but I am

not liking the smell of this.

Guest Old School
Thanx for the pix, and it's apparent the property is well maintained. The history of supposed "junk cars" in NY extend much further north than here. The requirement of insurance and a license plate have forced many vintage vehicles to the salvage yard. I'm surprised your 'vette, stored as it is, has become a target for code enforcement. When we were kids, my father's driveway became a storage facility for a "67 Opel", a '68 Dodge Charger, a "54 MGBG, a '67 Caddilac Sedan DeVille, and a Ford Falcon station wagon. The Falcon started every day, the Charger was HOT S_IT, and the Caddy had awhole lotta room. While we were away, in the Navy or college, Dad had to get rid of the excess vehicles. To this day, I wish I had any of the vehicles to work on. Stay the course, but it's probably impossible to find rotors that haven't already turned for an '81 Vette.
My apology for engaging in some fond remembrance. The number of vintage vehicles, stored at a site within city limits, may need to be culled from time to time, to avoid our city looking like a junkyard. That being said, a '81 Vette" stored under cover at a well maintained household would attract the attentiion of Code Enforcement at the direction of WHOM?? I live in the City of Binghamton, I'm not originally from here, but I'm looking forward to the future. If SPJ and CODE can't come to an agreement on the '81 Vette, Both are WRONG. If CODE Enforcement has become a political manipulation of the RYAN Administration, it wouldn't surprise me.

Guest Guest
In response to the poster who said I'm misleading by not showing others unlicensed cars ...

I mentioned earlier that I have, to this point, purposely NOT photographed those vehicles. I've driven past an estimated 30-40 vehicles that most rational people would deem ready for the scrap heap, but I've stayed away from those. Why it's misleading that I've done that, I'm not sure. If I'd have taken all those photos, wouldn't it bolster my point? That there are numerous vehicles that ARE junk, out in the open, on blocks, in various states of disrepair?

-SPJ

Please explain why you would intentionally avoid them when that is the crux of your complaint. You should be comparing apples to apples, but you are not. I don't understand. Words are cheap, but a picture speaks 1,000 words.

Guest Guest
Great...the caller just happened to mention that, huh?

So, if it happened to you, it's bad, and if it happens to them, it's ok?

Sorry, I'm not a Ryan plant, and I would've voted for Chris had I lived in that district, but I am

not liking the smell of this.

AMEN! I find it curious the caller "just happened to mention.....". What a crock! What "call" was the poster "responding " to anyway? It doesn't make sense.

Guest Stephen P. Jensen

Think as you will, but I received a call on Sunday evening on my cell phone from a gentleman who said he "had breakfast with a friend" and they discussed the issue. Apparently one had seen this thread and since they both know who I am, they discussed it.

One of the gentlemen said that he drives past that property abutting McArthur Park several times a week and has seen this older Mustang on blocks for "years." He mentioned, too, that the property had a Massey sign in the lawn last fall.

Listen, this is the truth. I, from the start, did not say this was any political conspiracy. In fact, I went out of the way to say tat while a few people were telling me I should look into that angle, I refused to believe that was true. After all, I haven't been actively involved in politics since the beginning of 2006, or thereabouts. So why would someone want to poke at me?

I guess the reason I hadn't previously posted photos of cars was because I didn't want my point to denigrate into a "See! There's doing it ... why can't I?" discussion. But since someone here is saying I ought to be showing other vehicles clearly unlicensed and sitting in the open, I've started to do that.

My point remains that while so many egregious code situations exist today, and have existed for years (see the Allen Strawn property on Murray Street that Channel 34 did a story on in mid-2005 as just one piece of evidence, to that end), it's curious, at least, that my situation has become an issue.

I'll have more information regarding this situation soon. Yesterday, I filed a FOIL request for all code citations issued by Chris Schleider in a two week period surrounding the date of my citation. I've also been in contact with the director of the city's code department who was unable to give me a decisive answer regarding as to what a code inspector's boundaries are. He deferred to the city's legal team and he has my cell number. I await his response.

Interesting, though, was that during my conversation with him, he made a clear division between single-family, owner-occupied properties and multiple-dwelling, non-owner-occupied dwellings when it comes to entering properties.

He said his personal "routine" when inspecting a complaint about a single-family, owner-occupied property is to NOT enter the property, but to assess the situation from surrounding vantage points. He went on to say that when it comes to rental properties, he's more apt to go onto a property because, and I quote, "there are more common areas, such as driveways or a parking lot, or common hallways."

It all seems very undefined.

-SPJ (743-0582 cell, for anyone who'd wish to refute ANYTHING I've stated here, with more than an anonymous, drive-by comment.)

For the record, I received the Sunday evening phone call about a few issues the caller wanted to bring to my attention. The picture I've linked here (there are other views in the overall album) is just one of the items that was brought up, specifically, including the mention of political signs.

Here's the property:

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/J...ent=Code202.jpg

-SPJ

I hope to add numerous more pictures to the web album soon. It's really astonishing - and sad - what I'm finding just driving around, citywide. Pictures don't lie.

Just a thought, and this might surprise you. I don't think these code enforcement officers are paid enough to be asked to go and fight the battles that apparently await them out there. And we certainly need more code inspectors, stiffer fines and swifter resolutions to these catastrophes pictured.

My car, and the Monty Carlo someone posted about earlier, are easy marks for the inspectors. Relatively speaking, they cite them based on existing law, then get a slam dunk from people who truly do their best as neighbors and tax-paying contributors. Like me, I'm sure there are others who have no intention to turn their noses up to housing code. In fact, we go out of our way to maintain our possessions as best we can.

Unfortunately for the Code Enforcement Department, Chris Schleider kicked a sleeping bag of rattlesnakes.

Steve I walk in your shoes daily we are having problems in our neighborhood also. I understand code is supposed to make a sweep through our ward this month. My neighbor said if he recieves a citation he wants to go through the ward taking pictures, as you have done. I have a piece of facia missing and will get it fixed shortly. It will be interesting if I get cited. And I will not mind as long as the people who own the properties you have photos of get cited also. Right is right. I do not ride my bicycle down town anymore because of the bad roads or for that matter anywhwere in the city. Good luck

Guest the shadw over court st

Steve,

What about the biggest code screw-up in the history of Downtown Binghamton? The O’Neil building. How did it get in that condition? How often do these Buildings required to be inspected? It had to collapse before any action was taken? What has this cost the taxpayers and why should we pay one dime? FOIA that paper trail see where it leads. There has to be a story of public interest behind this.

@

Guest edward  walsh
For "Old School" ...

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/J...My%20violation/

This series of photos (linked from the original link in my thread-starter) shows the Corvette uncovered (you can see it's not junk - it needs brakes and work on the shift linkage), and covered as it sits at this very minute. My home is not in "disrepair," and I believe the photos here give you a general idea, if not the full scope.

-SPJ

Nice car and your place looks clean. You missed taking pictures of a motor home that sets in the back of a property in a neighbor you went through. Mind you the code has been to this property many times but failed to notice this huge motor home with a 01 oregon license plate on it. I gaurantee it is not legal at all. I also believe code enforcment can be vindictive, That is if you call often they will find some violation on your property. A big problem with this city is it has no money and is losing people or I should say people who pay taxes. My nephew was up this last weekend from Scranton,they have a blight program going on also, but they have teeth in their program (money) and their politicians know how to get it. I would like to see those people on welfare cleaning up our streets. I know some on welfare that are running a side business. I feel your frustration but i do not know how you run a program to clean up a city without money. And I would at least suggest that the Mayor ask the Mayor in Scranton how he did it. I believe the Mayor in Scranton donates his pay? As he is wealthy. Good luck

@

Guest Guest

You START it with TOUGH code enforcement. It seems that this is what you are asking for with all your pictures. I gues you're special though so you should fight what seems to finally be the very beginning of what you ask for. Someone VERY wise once said "Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it." I say suck it up, either make your junk vehicle legal or get rid of it and quit your whining. Maybe, just maybe if you do the RIGHT thing it will start a trend.

Guest guest
I have a question regarding the last picture on page 7.........is that the building just before the underpass on Jarvis, going toward Clinton St? If so, I heard stories about the inside of the building, dont know how true it is but I heard there are some terrorist type writings / graffiti.

This is what the greater city of binghamton has become under the direction of the mayor "retard Ryan". If you were not aware the city primarily only fines single residence dwellings, or multi dwellings if the owner resides in the property. This is fact, how would the city fine some welfare scumbag who don't work, and can not pay their own rent let alone a code fine. The mayor will not sic his fat, regularly lazy code personel on the college kids, or welfare receipients who are the major cause of the problem. I did look at the photo link and do recognize most of the apts. and buildings shown. Many are college apts. where students live, others are abandoned biuldings on charlotte street that have been that way for many years. The real problem is the mayor chooses to ignor the vast majority of the cities needs, and instead spends needed funds on hiring felons, and friends who have no idea how to run a beaten down city. What we need to do is demolish these unsightly properties, fine the owners and tenants who are causing the filth, and do it across the board, don't just pick and choose. Oh by the way just ask the first ward action council to help with the problems, maybe they can invest more money in fixing up these dumps only to have more trash move into our area.

Guest Guest
You START it with TOUGH code enforcement. It seems that this is what you are asking for with all your pictures. I gues you're special though so you should fight what seems to finally be the very beginning of what you ask for. Someone VERY wise once said "Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it." I say suck it up, either make your junk vehicle legal or get rid of it and quit your whining. Maybe, just maybe if you do the RIGHT thing it will start a trend.

From my experience, these seemingly ridiculous (though to the letter valid) citations typically come about as result of a neighbor's complaint. As much as TWS/SJ pleads his case as a wonderful, thoughtful, (albeit confused), responsible citizen - "waaa waaa why are they picking on me?", I have to wonder who he has been "picking on" or reporting or harassing or evesdropping or whatever .... he must have po'd somebody to have them report him - and hence the code inspector showed up. There is more to this story than Mr. Jensen would like you to believe. Usually what goes around comes around, so it is possible Mr. Jensen is getting his due for some obnoxious action he had perpetrated earlier. I totally agree with 'be careful what you wish for', especially if you are not the saint you pretend to be.

@

Guest Stephen P. Jensen

That certainly is an interesting post.

So, you're suggesting the citation of my property may be retribution? For something I did in the past?

If you have information about what such a thing might be, I'd be interested to chat. Or even anonymously, give me a hint, if you're alluding to something specific.

To my knowledge, I am not aware of anything I'd have done to "piss off" someone to the extent they'd target me for code violations. I have what my wife and I believe to be a very good rapport with all our neighbors. Even one student house within shouting distance of our property is, for the most part, kept, and quiet. For a decade now, we've only had a couple problems with late-night noise, and on all occasions, I've dealt with it first-hand, in person, by walking across te street and talking to the students. There have been no problems in a year, perhaps two years.

Might you be referring to actions I took while on City Council to strengthen code enforcement's efforts? There was widespread support for my "code sweeps" legislation, but having paid $31 yesterday for 124 pages of Chris Schleider citations within a two-week period surrounding my initial citation, there is no evidence that this was part of a "sweep." Also, as I've stated before, Mr. Schleider told me on the telephone that he was not at my property because of a complaint, but that he was merely "walking the street."

Is it some sort of delayed payback for actually pushing Code Enforcement to do sweeps on a monthly basis? That would seem improbable, especially given that Chris Schleider was not a city employee at the time (2005).

Is Matt Ryan at the root of this? To be frank, I have no idea if Matt Ryan hates my guts or if he has a secret crush on me. I didn't receive a Valentine's Day card from him, so I think we can rule out the love. But I would hope the man has enough on his plate that he wouldn't stoop to such things. The one substantive conversation I've ever had with the man was in his conference room, with a group of West Side neighborhood folks (Safe Streets Association, etc.). During that meeting, Ryan "called me out," if you will, about my vote to decrease funding to the "executive assistant" position in the mayor's office. He said, in front of several witnesses, that I depleted that position (my vote to decrease funding came well before Matt Ryan was elected mayor, mind you, and had zero to do with him, but about the realization that the exec position is a partisan position), which was actually not the complete truth. I actually fought against Marty Gerchman and Charlie Kramer, who said that the position should be completely eliminated. I merely agreed to decrease the salary line, which Ryan has since increased for Tarik Abdelazim.

My dealings with Abdelazim have been very few, and both came before he was a City Hall employee. In short, I opposed his group's resolution to "end the war NOW," and based it primarily on numerous people I spoke with in the Third District, who thought the premise was wasteful of City Council's time, and on some levels, unrealistic. The other dealing was when his group opposed the city's Time Warner franchise contract. I was the only member of the 9-member City Council to vote NO to renewing that contract, seeing the merit in Abdelazim's group's efforts and research.

Is it because I'm of the mind that having the Department of Social Services a stone's throw from downtown and a shorter stone's throw from the largest, and in some area's, best high school in the region, is an all-together insane proposition that has proven to be a catalyst in bringing down surrounding near-West West property values? Is it because I supported former mayoral candidate Douglas Drazen's thoughts on that issue, as well? If this is delayed payback for that ... well, that couldn't possible be. I refuse to believe it.

Otherwise, I'm at a loss. Maybe I'm just "mis-remembering" something, as Roger Clemens would say.

So ... if you think this is somehow politically motivated, I'd be interested to learn to what, specifically, you're referring.

Again, my cell phone number is 743-0582. Feel free to call any time.

-SPJ

Billy, that's a fair question. But having worked for the city in the past, I can tell you that, when I was there, the thought was, "why should the city put a ton of money into a property, when the goal is to sell it to someone who may put private funds into it?"

I don't know if that's still the thought process at City Hall, but you can at least understand it. I can, anyhow.

The remedy? Never simple, but instead of hanging onto so many of these properties, the city should move them to people with reasonable plans and timetables.

I bring up 51 Main Street and its sale to Kelly Wagstaff as an example of "what's wrong" with the Binghamton government thought process, in general, when it comes to these properties. Not only didn't the city not solidify that structure early enough after taking ownership to stave off further damage from the elements (and pigeons), but once I'd convinced the other members of the 2005 City Council that selling this building, an historical property, on one of the more high-profile corners in the city, to a private investor with a proven track record of maintaining historic structures, for a song ... Bob Weslar (I mention him specifically because he was the one who pushed most vocally on this) insisted that the city get the $19,000 in unpaid back taxes as a sale price, when the building wasn't worth that. I proposed the city sell the building to Kelly for $5,000 so she could then put more of her money back INTO the rehab. Eventually, she bought it for $5,000, but it seemed a waste of time to me to have to haggle, in-house, with Weslar over money tat wasn't realistic to begin with (and what I mean by that is that those back taxes were based on an assessment that was old and over-inflated).

Then when Kelly Wagstaff brought a plan to the table - including specific paint schemes based on historic correctness - Mr. Weslar got fixated for a while on what types of trees and/or shrubbery she would eventually adorn that property with. I sat there and shook my head in amazement, frankly. Here we were, with a willing savior for this old building, and we're sitting there talking about shrubbery (queue up the Monty Python)? The woman didn't even have possession of the place yet. Incredible.

There are so many problems in local government that any realist wouldn't think it possible to fix them all. But these sorts of things seem, to me, to be no-brainers, win-wins, whatever you'd like to call them. Meanwhile, Charlotte Street still sits there.

I hope to have a say in pushing that issue soon, as well. Enough is enough.

-SPJ

Guest Guest
Billy, that's a fair question. But having worked for the city in the past, I can tell you that, when I was there, the thought was, "why should the city put a ton of money into a property, when the goal is to sell it to someone who may put private funds into it?"

I don't know if that's still the thought process at City Hall, but you can at least understand it. I can, anyhow.

The remedy? Never simple, but instead of hanging onto so many of these properties, the city should move them to people with reasonable plans and timetables.

I bring up 51 Main Street and its sale to Kelly Wagstaff as an example of "what's wrong" with the Binghamton government thought process, in general, when it comes to these properties. Not only didn't the city not solidify that structure early enough after taking ownership to stave off further damage from the elements (and pigeons), but once I'd convinced the other members of the 2005 City Council that selling this building, an historical property, on one of the more high-profile corners in the city, to a private investor with a proven track record of maintaining historic structures, for a song ... Bob Weslar (I mention him specifically because he was the one who pushed most vocally on this) insisted that the city get the $19,000 in unpaid back taxes as a sale price, when the building wasn't worth that. I proposed the city sell the building to Kelly for $5,000 so she could then put more of her money back INTO the rehab. Eventually, she bought it for $5,000, but it seemed a waste of time to me to have to haggle, in-house, with Weslar over money tat wasn't realistic to begin with (and what I mean by that is that those back taxes were based on an assessment that was old and over-inflated).

Then when Kelly Wagstaff brought a plan to the table - including specific paint schemes based on historic correctness - Mr. Weslar got fixated for a while on what types of trees and/or shrubbery she would eventually adorn that property with. I sat there and shook my head in amazement, frankly. Here we were, with a willing savior for this old building, and we're sitting there talking about shrubbery (queue up the Monty Python)? The woman didn't even have possession of the place yet. Incredible.

There are so many problems in local government that any realist wouldn't think it possible to fix them all. But these sorts of things seem, to me, to be no-brainers, win-wins, whatever you'd like to call them. Meanwhile, Charlotte Street still sits there.

I hope to have a say in pushing that issue soon, as well. Enough is enough.

-SPJ

Mr. Jensen I am in total agreement with you. You have my support and will attend this meeting Garo Kachadouran is calling for. Yes! When is the City going to obey it's own code on property it owns? They should lead by example.

One addition about 51 Main Street ...

Critics will point out that it's gone much slower than it had been anticipated. True. But it's still moving forward.

I spoke with Dan Ragan (he's the manager of the project, along with Kelly) on Sunday afternoon, and he said more interior work is coming up soon, including sanding of the hardwood floors. They're also hoping that their carpenter can finish up a spring project and continue the work on the front porch later in the summer.

Dan said he's hopeful to be able to show the property to prospective tenants/businesses this year (I wouldn't presume to guess on a specific time).

In the meantime, the building, as it sits, looks 100% better than it did a few short years ago. I have some "before" photos, as well as current photos, I can post to the album linked in this thread.

-SPJ

From Matt Ryan's "welcome" on his web site:

It gives me great pride to serve this dynamic community, which continues to offer great promise and opportunity for entrepreneurs, art aficionados, outdoor enthusiasts, retirees and young families. I invite you to come explore our wonderful city, a city at the crossroads, an upstate destination where opportunities converge.

Guest Guest
This isn't just a code violation, its a safety issue too! Look at the wood blocks propping the car up! And this isn't a citation?????

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/J...ent=Code201.jpg

@

Hey, that's a '66 or '67 Mustang clearly in active restoration mode. Also appears to be in a fenced in yard. Chill out! Or I will have to take possession of the car.

Archived