Code Enforcement Photos: Have You Seen These?

Guest Stephen P. Jensen

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

I have a question. I have seen comments about cars with no plates, and cars with out of state plates. What can you do about a neighbor who has had 'friends' living with them for almost a year who have no intentions of leaving for at least several years who still have out of town plates? If I need to have NYS plates, so should they!

Guest Guest

These photos make Bing. look like a craphole place to live.

Who has a freakin COKE MACHINE sitting outside their house? Is it operational? Then again, does it matter?

I couldn't believe all those cars without tags.

I have a winter and a summer car. Not knowing it was illegal, a few years ago I put my winter vehicle outside next to my garage, behind some trees. Within two weeks I got a letter from CE telling me I had 4 days to move it off the lawn.

I have a one car garage, and now my unused vehicle has to sit in it. Judging by these photos, I'm getting hosed.

I should sue the City for the right to park my car on my lawn.

Guest City Voice

Well I guess the plan is working then. See? You have decided to fix your fascia. I wonder if you would be planning to do so right now if this thread hadn't alerted you to citations being given. Thank you for fixing it. Perhaps a few more homeowners with much more serious violations will start to repair & clean up as result of this thread. Note: I personally do not believe a small infraction like defective fascia would cause a citation, but that's just me. Nonetheless, I can only hope others are cleaning up their properties as result of TWS's whining post. [hey - I'm special - you can't cite me! It's a corvette! ]

[/quote

My property is clean it doe's take an effort lately my new neighbors are destroying parts of my property (cannot prove it) fence smashed into my new shed 1400 dollars. Lucky they do not live by yo

Guest City Voice

Well I guess the plan is working then. See? You have decided to fix your fascia. I wonder if you would be planning to do so right now if this thread hadn't alerted you to citations being given. Thank you for fixing it. Perhaps a few more homeowners with much more serious violations will start to repair & clean up as result of this thread. Note: I personally do not believe a small infraction like defective fascia would cause a citation, but that's just me. Nonetheless, I can only hope others are cleaning up their properties as result of TWS's whining post. [hey - I'm special - you can't cite me! It's a corvette! ]

[/quote

My property is clean it doe's take an effort lately my new neighbors are destroying parts of my property (cannot prove it) fence smashed into my new shed 1400 dollars. Lucky they do not live by you. Ongoing battle to have them removed. Installed cameras and recorders etc. Council woman very helpful. Long story making my own brake to make fascia. Have time retired. Do not mind being cited. My point is, it is very easy to get discouraged when people move into an area who have no respect for your property or anyones property and slowly destroy the surrounding area. Because they have gotten away with it for years. And they eventually move on. You will find out if they move next to you that you are virtually defenseless against them. No matter how powerful you may think you are. My other point is the city is very dirty, Why don't we have all the inmates out cleaning the streets as well as those on welfare?

Why not get off your butt and do something yourself if your retired! I hate these complainers but don't and woun't get their hands dirty!

@

For the record ...

Over the past few weeks, I've researched other municipal laws governing "junk vehicles" across the country, and numerous communities offer exceptions which are reasonable, and allow for "classic cars" being stored, as well as a reasonable amount of time for others to keep an unlicensed vehicle on their premises while performing repairs.

One specific municipal law allows for a maximum of one vehicle to be stored if said vehicle is entirely covered with a "one-piece opaque heavy tarp or commercial car cover, securely fastened at all times."

I believe my Corvette would qualify, under such a reasonable law, whether it was uncovered, OR covered:

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/J...t=VetteNew2.jpg

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/J...t=VetteNew1.jpg

So, I plan to submit a request for legislation tomorrow (Tuesday, April 8) to City Council to amend this section of our municipal law to allow for exceptions (which I will suggest, in writing, as well), while maintaining a limitation on "junk vehicles" in Binghamton.

-@

Guest Guest

So how did court go for you on Thursday Mr. Jensen? You certainly left the code boys in a tizzy! I just missed your hearing by a couple minutes.

@

Guest pepsilover
These photos make Bing. look like a craphole place to live.

Who has a freakin COKE MACHINE sitting outside their house? Is it operational? Then again, does it matter?

YES It works. And works very well I might add. It's on George Street on the East side and is VERY VISIBLE FROM BROAD AVE,AND ELY STREET, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE ON!!!...There was actually a lady from the city who lived on George Street and inquired about the Coke machine to one of the neighbors (Hi Sheila)..she was going to talk to someone in Code about it..then she moved and nothing happened... I've actually gotten a few cans out of it! I live not to far from the guy. EVERYONE in the neighborhood (all the kids) hit their mom's up for 65 cents to go buy a soda at the Coke Machine house. It's been there for at least 2 or 3 years now. It's a money maker that's for sure!!!!!!!! From what I heard from some people in the know, the guy fills the machine with soda that he buys in PA so there is no tax on it. he gets it cheap and makes a profit off of it. All the bums from the bar stop to get drinks in the summer and hang around the neighborhood at night digging around for empty cans. Code drives past ALL THE TIME and never cites the owner...If I put a pepsi machine, or a snack machine in my driveway do you think that I'd get a letter from code??? We had a fence installed about 4 years ago, and it was about 3 feet high with decorative elevated posts that had solar lights on top..we had a permit to put the fence up and even called U-Dig NY to have them come and check for gas lines before we did any work. Code was at our house 3 times complaining that we violated the 4 foot high ruling on fences near a sidewalk. They made us literally saw down the decorative posts or threatened us to remove our very costly fence. Yet, take a drive down fairview ave and see the wooden fence that has to be about 7 feet high right near the sidewalk. I guess it's who you know in Code that makes a difference.

@

Guest Stephen P. Jensen

Apologies for the delayed response ...

My hearing? Well ... I received a letter from the courts on Thursday, April 10 ... you know, the day I was at my hearing ... saying that the hearing had been adjourned to May 1. Unreal.

So, I arrived at 3 p.m. and sat there until 3:35 p.m. until assistant corporation counsel Brian Seachrist approached me to say, "Steve, did you know your hearing had been adjourned?"

Me: "Brian, how would I know that?"

Brian: "The courts were supposed to have sent you a letter. We got a copy of it yesterday from them."

So I left. I got home and checked the mail for Thursday, and there, post-marked April 9, was a letter from the courts.

So, how did my court date go? Well ... it didn't.

But it will.

In the meantime, I've submitted my "request for legislation." The city clerk e-mailed me and said she would let me know about the next City Council work session, at which I am allegedly going to receive some time to either speak about my submission, or to answer anyone's questions.

Otherwise, I'm spurred to get access to a vending machine and plug it in against the front of my home. Who wouldn't want to provide such a public service to the neighborhood kids? I guess it's all right, according to city housing code.

One additional note: This morning (Saturday) I drove past the childhood home of Rod Serling on Bennett Avenue. It's looking a little rough, but what's intriguing is the unlicensed Volvo with a flat tire backed into the driveway. Perhaps at such an historical address, a "junk vehicle" sitting just a few feet from the street, visible to anyone driving past, is allowable, as well.

@

Guest Garo Kachadourian
Apologies for the delayed response ...

My hearing? Well ... I received a letter from the courts on Thursday, April 10 ... you know, the day I was at my hearing ... saying that the hearing had been adjourned to May 1. Unreal.

So, I arrived at 3 p.m. and sat there until 3:35 p.m. until assistant corporation counsel Brian Seachrist approached me to say, "Steve, did you know your hearing had been adjourned?"

Me: "Brian, how would I know that?"

Brian: "The courts were supposed to have sent you a letter. We got a copy of it yesterday from them."

So I left. I got home and checked the mail for Thursday, and there, post-marked April 9, was a letter from the courts.

So, how did my court date go? Well ... it didn't.

But it will.

In the meantime, I've submitted my "request for legislation." The city clerk e-mailed me and said she would let me know about the next City Council work session, at which I am allegedly going to receive some time to either speak about my submission, or to answer anyone's questions.

Otherwise, I'm spurred to get access to a vending machine and plug it in against the front of my home. Who wouldn't want to provide such a public service to the neighborhood kids? I guess it's all right, according to city housing code.

One additional note: This morning (Saturday) I drove past the childhood home of Rod Serling on Bennett Avenue. It's looking a little rough, but what's intriguing is the unlicensed Volvo with a flat tire backed into the driveway. Perhaps at such an historical address, a "junk vehicle" sitting just a few feet from the street, visible to anyone driving past, is allowable, as well.

@

Steve I just can't believe what I just read. This happened to me as well the first time I was sited. One court letter said to appear on a certian date at 2:00 pm and another said 3:00pm just a week after I recieved the first! One other time a court date was adjourned and I didn't recieve notice, Luckly I called the court to confirm date and time thats when I found out about the adjournment.

With the case loads the code court deals with I don't want to lay blame on a poor clerk just an over worked women just trying to keep up.

True, Garo. I'm not interested in laying blame anywhere. It's just very frustrating, especially considering I took time off from work.

Anyhow ... May 1, it is.

@

Please explain why you would intentionally avoid them when that is the crux of your complaint. You should be comparing apples to apples, but you are not. I don't understand. Words are cheap, but a picture speaks 1,000 words.

To Steve I see you have the mobile home picture it has a plate on it from out of state 2001 a huge (because of it's size) or do you call it an RV code violation. It appeared almost like magic a few months ago and has been called in, but still sits like a white elephant.

Imagine the money to be made in fines, the cash flow could make code self supporting and you did the ground work with your photos.

More fines and a cleaner city and more money for enforcement. Sounds like a win win for the city. Make another sweep in a month or so to see if the white elephant is still with us.

Good luck Steve good pictures although depressing.

YES It works. And works very well I might add. It's on George Street on the East side and is VERY VISIBLE FROM BROAD AVE,AND ELY STREET, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE ON!!!...There was actually a lady from the city who lived on George Street and inquired about the Coke machine to one of the neighbors (Hi Sheila)..she was going to talk to someone in Code about it..then she moved and nothing happened... I've actually gotten a few cans out of it! I live not to far from the guy. EVERYONE in the neighborhood (all the kids) hit their mom's up for 65 cents to go buy a soda at the Coke Machine house. It's been there for at least 2 or 3 years now. It's a money maker that's for sure!!!!!!!! From what I heard from some people in the know, the guy fills the machine with soda that he buys in PA so there is no tax on it. he gets it cheap and makes a profit off of it. All the bums from the bar stop to get drinks in the summer and hang around the neighborhood at night digging around for empty cans. Code drives past ALL THE TIME and never cites the owner...If I put a pepsi machine, or a snack machine in my driveway do you think that I'd get a letter from code??? We had a fence installed about 4 years ago, and it was about 3 feet high with decorative elevated posts that had solar lights on top..we had a permit to put the fence up and even called U-Dig NY to have them come and check for gas lines before we did any work. Code was at our house 3 times complaining that we violated the 4 foot high ruling on fences near a sidewalk. They made us literally saw down the decorative posts or threatened us to remove our very costly fence. Yet, take a drive down fairview ave and see the wooden fence that has to be about 7 feet high right near the sidewalk. I guess it's who you know in Code that makes a difference.

@

Boy you can say that again. I am so disappointed with code and what they are allowing to happen next to me (a junk car business) we are considering our options from moving to suing. Our gas and electric bill this month was over 400 dollars again we have ten security lights four security cameras VCR's running because of these people in addition to running an illegal business they destroy the property around them. And we have to catch them on tape. The police knows these people everyone knows these people it is disgusting. Code needs to be turned upside down and new blood installed. Good luck

@

Guest Guest

When posting your pictures, I might suggest that you put a address attached to the picture, or edit it and insert address in the photo itself. Put all your pictures together in a photo album (or just print about 4 photos to a page and insert the pages into clear sleeves). Make enough copies and send them to every member of the City Council and Code Enforcement. If you really want to have a field day, maybe, although sometimes a little bias, get the PSB involved.

I am sure, judging by some of the photo's you have displayed, there are also "Health" issues with some of these locations. Thus being the case, you might want to also address the subject with the Health Department. I am sure there are rodents all around most of those places, and we all know the health risks when that occurs.

Good Luck

Greetings ...

Some of you may already know my recent saga. Long story short, my '81 Corvette, tucked behind my house, under a car port, and wrapped nicely in a fitted car cover, was, in January, cited by Binghamton code official Chris Schleider as a "junk car" stored in the open, "under tarp."

According to the law that appears on the books, I learned that my car actually is a "junk vehicle," which, of course, is silliness. I appeared in court a couple weeks ago and pleaded "not guilty" to get a hearing, coming up in April. In the meantime, I'll attempt to make the point that while I appreciate strict code enforcement, common sense must prevail, and ultimately, the language of this particular law must reflect that intelligence.

Keep in mind when you view the photos I've taken around the city (most, to date, on or near the West Side), many of these are chronic problems that have remained apparent housing code violations for YEARS.

I'll continue to update the photo album(s) I've created (I have about 50-75 more photos yet to be added, with many more to come), and so far, there is 1. the main page with more than 100 possible violations, almost all viewable from the curb, 2. my "junk vehicle," which was not a complaint-driven issue by any neighbor, but a walk-by violation written by Mr. Schleider, and 3. several instances of graffiti in the city (I understand the city now has a "graffiti abatement coordinator," who appears to need assistance in locating graffiti to abate).

Do you think these are code violations?

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/Jensen1964/

-SPJ

Im not sure if i know what a code violations are anymore. I have a couple cars and one car is kept in the garage winter time. Another one is kept coverd dueing the winter. Code told me that the cars needed to be LICENSE and if it isnt then its a junk and its a code violation. So the way i take it if you store your cars for any reason if its LICENSE.....ITS ALL GOOD !!

@

Guest Garo Kachadourian
Im not sure if i know what a code violations are anymore. I have a couple cars and one car is kept in the garage winter time. Another one is kept coverd dueing the winter. Code told me that the cars needed to be LICENSE and if it isnt then its a junk and its a code violation. So the way i take it if you store your cars for any reason if its LICENSE.....ITS ALL GOOD !!

@

It's just a way the Code Court can fleece money from the residents and businesses. The law is flawed and they even know it. If challenged, it will be stricken down by a higher court. Reason? When the law was drafted businesses and homeowners were not represented. These are the taxpayers of this City and they have rights as taxpayers. So if challenged...........I have heard it's going to a higher Court in due time the Law will be stricken from law books of our City.

Then it will be drafted with repersentation as it sould have been from the start.

Guest Guest

If you want to see code violations look at the three DELETED at the corner of Conklin Avenue and Felters Road on the south side. These are the properties that Mayor Ryan should be very proud of!! You code enforcers should be going after things like this and quit bothering people who actually pay taxes!

Guest Guest
If you want to see code violations look at the three shitholes at the corner of Conklin Avenue and Felters Road on the south side. These are the properties that Mayor Ryan should be very proud of!! You code enforcers should be going after things like this and quit bothering people who actually pay taxes!

Why would they go after people who aren't paying their taxes or water bill?

Doesn't it make more sense to go after people who have proven they will pay their bills?

Archived