SHOOTOUT ... TIME

jmower71

Personally .. i am and will be part of the JR nation ... but is anyone else having a hard time spotting his car.. First you see Kasey in the BUD car ... then you see Marky in the 8 .. and you look real hard for JR.. (though now in 1st )

PAINT THE CAR SUBLIME GREEN ALREADY !!! its hard to pick out.

Although it enjoys substantial support NASCAR is the weakest of the motor sports when it comes to skill. It's all about the brand of soap powder on the heros car. Even the sport's own drivers acknowledge that the game is rigged to produce a few regular heros for the crowd to support. Some of their drivers are actually pretty good when driving on actual racecourses but by and large NASCAR is just a big advertisement festival. VIVA LA NASCARAS.

NASCAR drivers not athletes huh... tell ya what guys, go try it yourself... just hit Petty's school down at Disney area in Orlanda and take a few laps... you won't be going nearly as fast, and you'll see part of what they go through.

Try driving a beast of a car with interior temps over the 100 degree mark in a full drivers suit at around 200 plus MPH up to speed for several hours and tell me it does not take physical and mental skill. How bout this, see what each non-athlete NASCAR driver weighs before a race and then what they weigh after a race and see how much they lose during thier SPORT.

It's just as much a SPORT as any other SPORT, just doesn't involve a stup!d little ball...

Is GOLF a Sport....? Which is more of a physical 'sport'?

NASCAR drivers not athletes huh... tell ya what guys, go try it yourself... just hit Petty's school down at Disney area in Orlanda and take a few laps... you won't be going nearly as fast, and you'll see part of what they go through.

Try driving a beast of a car with interior temps over the 100 degree mark in a full drivers suit at around 200 plus MPH up to speed for several hours and tell me it does not take physical and mental skill. How bout this, see what each non-athlete NASCAR driver weighs before a race and then what they weigh after a race and see how much they lose during thier SPORT.

It's just as much a SPORT as any other SPORT, just doesn't involve a stup!d little ball...

The problem is that NASCAR is such a somewhat lame form of motorsports. The main thing it has going for it is that it's easy to sit and watch because it's easy to put inside of an arena. It's a sport about putting eyeballs on advertisements. It's about creating the illusion of equity and then putting the heros out in front right at the end by having a flag right before the end of each and every race. Try watching a genuine motorsport which involves the same hot cockpit but involves doing more strategy than being the second car on the last lap while going in a big circle.

Personally .. i am and will be part of the JR nation ... but is anyone else having a hard time spotting his car.. First you see Kasey in the BUD car ... then you see Marky in the 8 .. and you look real hard for JR.. (though now in 1st )

PAINT THE CAR SUBLIME GREEN ALREADY !!! its hard to pick out.

I had that same problem last night. Everytime that they showed the track from top of the Bud car, I had to remind myself that it was Kasey Kahne and not JR. I was very happy to see JR win last night. It shows that it was not his abilities as a driver that caused him to be winless for the last 2 years, but the equipment and the environment that he was working in. He seemed much more relaxed and happier than I have seen him in a long time. As for Kasey Kahne and the Budweiser car, I think that Bud should have gone with a driver who at least LOOKS old enough to drink!! :lol:

To each their own, but boooooring... I like making right turns sometimes..

I've got a couple of dear friends on this thread who'll hate me, but I agree, it's so boring. I'd rather watch my freezer defrost. I asked that Skinner kid years ago at Lowes, why I couldn't make a magnet stick to the right side of his car. It must have been all the "Bondo" from his wall crashes. He didn't think it was funny. Sorry "L".

It's ok "W" everyone has their own opinion, "even if it's the wrong one" :lol: :lol: Here's an article that I found about NASCAR athletes for those of you who don't think it's a "real sport"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4243400/

Rigors of stock car racing demand high caliber of athleticism

COMMENTARY

By Allen Bestwick

NBC Sports

updated 4:56 p.m. ET, Mon., March. 8, 2004

The American Heritage Dictionary’s definition of an athlete is "a person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts."

Let's take apart that definition and scrutinize stock car drivers to see whether they fit the bill as athletes.

A person possessing the natural or acquired traits,…”

Just as Barry Bonds possesses a natural talent for hitting a baseball and has refined that talent with experience, NASCAR’s top-level drivers have natural or acquired traits for racing cars that most of us are without. Those traits include a lack of fear, an exceptional feel for controlling a car at excessive speeds, and exceptional hand-eye coordination. These skills have been refined through their years of racing, beginning with go-karts as children and advancing up the different levels of the sport.

“…such as strength, agility and endurance necessary for physical exercise,…”

While I was never really good at physics in school, I have driven a stock car on a few occasions and I can vouch for the physical demands on one's body when racing. A 3,400-pound stock car doesn’t drive like your SUV, it’s a brute. At the speeds today’s stock cars attain, a driver is constantly wrestling the machine. The moments he’s not pushing or pulling against the wheel and working the pedals are brief. While all that is going on, the G-forces of the cornering speed are pulling a drivers’ head, torso and legs to the right -- the opposite way the rest of him is trying to go. His ribs and shoulders are jamming against his seat and restraints and that's a feeling like taking a hit from a linebacker every minute for a few hours. In racing schools like the Richard Petty Driving Experience, most people are sweating and have an elevated heart rate after just a few laps of driving. A stock car driver must be able to handle these forces and stresses over three to four hours of competition. That requires exceptional conditioning and a special level of endurance that few of us can boast. The conditions compound the physical requirements on a driver. He will be in a car designed for speed, not comfort. The cockpit temperature will rise to over 120 degrees, and to reduce any aerodynamic “drag,” the car is designed to make air flow around it, but not inside it. This puts a premium on cardiovascular fitness. A driver must be able to process oxygen into his blood more efficiently than most of us and also must be able to do it in heated, stressful conditions for hours at a time.

“…especially those performed in competitive contexts.”

There can be no question drivers are by nature competitive. Like other elite athletes, their desire to win and rise to the top of their field is a prime motivation in their daily lives. All of the training, endless testing and practicing are done for one moment: the glorious one when victory in a race is achieved.

TRAINING COMPARISONS

Most drivers are on a vigorous training program. Former Winston Cup champion Dale Jarrett trains six days per week to prepare for the competition of racing. “I lift weights and do cardio Monday through Friday, then Saturday do an additional day of cardio” says Jarrett, who like many of his racing peers, was an outstanding multi-sport athlete in high school. Jarrett was a quarterback, forward in basketball, shortstop and outstanding golfer. Jarrett is a friend and business partner of quarterback Brett Favre of the Green Bay Packers and he has compared training notes with the future NFL Hall-of-Famer. Jarrett says he and Favre seek different results from their workouts, noting that for racing he needs his back to be strong for the time he spends in the driver's seat, while Favre needs for his legs to be strong. Favre is careful about how his arm is worked out while Jarrett’s concern for cardio conditioning is a top priority.

MENTAL STRENGTH ALSO NEEDED

One often overlooked aspect of racing a stock car is the relentless need for concentration at a high level. A basketball or football player needs to be mentally sharp to execute plays and react to game situations quickly and effectively. A stock car driver can never let his concentration waver. One mental lapse -- be it a missed braking point or daydream-induced “drift” of lanes -- can cause a crash, which will likely result in hitting a wall at well over 100 mph -- not a safe or pleasant experience.

DIFFERENT DEMANDS IN A DIFFERENT ERA

In NASCAR’s earlier years, especially the 1950s and 1960s, drivers were not considered very athletic, and I would agree with that assessment. Today, however, times have changed and now it's a different story. This generation of stock car racers compares very favorably with elite athletes in other sports. These drivers may not run a 4.5 in the 40-yard dash or be able to hit 50 home runs in a baseball season, but could a baseball player or a football player last 500 miles in a race car? The strength, agility and endurance demonstrated by stock car drivers in a competitive context are without question of exceptional quality and prove their athleticism.

I will give you that nascar drivers are skilfull...there is no denying that...but to call them an athlete is a little much. Just because the temperature in the car is 100 degress does not make them an athlete. just because they sit and drive a car does not make them an athlete. they are very skillfull but sweating and losing weight does not make an athlete. if that is the case then i can go be an athlete by sitting in my car and driving for 500 miles in the summer with the windows up and no ac. Golf is a sport because they actually move. Have you ever walked 18 holes carrying your own clubs? it requires much more stamia than you would think.

As for the boring aspect I agree. I would watch nascar if there were more road courses on the circuit. watching them drive in a cirlce 200 times is boring. on that note here are my ways to improve the boredom.

1. have half the field drive one direction and the other drive the opposite direction. that would increase the skill factor. lets see them dodge a head on crash at 180.

2. lets take all the inmates on death row, all child molestors and some drug dealers and throw them on the track. Let them run around on the track without getting creamed at 180mph. if they survive the entire race , then maybe we will think about letting them go. This solution would be two fold. first the excitement increase for nascar and second, reducing prison population.

3. have 3 laps a race with all the drivers blindfolded. This would be called the use the force lap. Hey if luke skywalker can do it...so can these guys.

4. stop the race halfway and have the drivers switch cars. it would be a blind draw...put all the names in a hat and draw for what car they would drive. this would eliminate the cheating and unfair advantage of some teams cars.

just some ideas to increase the fun!

How many other sports are playing while sitting in a chair?

None.

Racing=not a sport.

I recently lost some weight. Does that make me an athlete?

I will give you that nascar drivers are skilfull...there is no denying that...but to call them an athlete is a little much. Just because the temperature in the car is 100 degress does not make them an athlete. just because they sit and drive a car does not make them an athlete. they are very skillfull but sweating and losing weight does not make an athlete. if that is the case then i can go be an athlete by sitting in my car and driving for 500 miles in the summer with the windows up and no ac. Golf is a sport because they actually move. Have you ever walked 18 holes carrying your own clubs? it requires much more stamia than you would think.

As for the boring aspect I agree. I would watch nascar if there were more road courses on the circuit. watching them drive in a cirlce 200 times is boring. on that note here are my ways to improve the boredom.

1. have half the field drive one direction and the other drive the opposite direction. that would increase the skill factor. lets see them dodge a head on crash at 180.

2. lets take all the inmates on death row, all child molestors and some drug dealers and throw them on the track. Let them run around on the track without getting creamed at 180mph. if they survive the entire race , then maybe we will think about letting them go. This solution would be two fold. first the excitement increase for nascar and second, reducing prison population.

3. have 3 laps a race with all the drivers blindfolded. This would be called the use the force lap. Hey if luke skywalker can do it...so can these guys.

4. stop the race halfway and have the drivers switch cars. it would be a blind draw...put all the names in a hat and draw for what car they would drive. this would eliminate the cheating and unfair advantage of some teams cars.

just some ideas to increase the fun!

I liked your post.

Archived