Do You have one?

Guest curious?

Guest curious?

Do any of You have a will? Alot of younger people I noticed are dying with kids and I haven't got one and I hate to pay a lawyer alot of money to do it that can go to my kids so, how did You start the process and is the courts involved in any way? Don't have a whole lot but want my kids protected.

Guest Guest
Do any of You have a will? Alot of younger people I noticed are dying with kids and I haven't got one and I hate to pay a lawyer alot of money to do it that can go to my kids so, how did You start the process and is the courts involved in any way? Don't have a whole lot but want my kids protected.

A simple will costs less than $200.00 at my place of employement. Not too much money for peace of mind. Also, you may wish to look online, I think there are will type forms you can do yourself.

HTTP://www.legalzoom.com

You can process a legal will through here much cheaper than going to an attorney. I would still suggest you contact an attorney simply because you have children that need protecting. But this is an option and if you look through the info, you may find you have questions you would never have thought of to ask your attorney.

Good luck!

It's great that you are thinking about this. A lot of people won't even consider their death out of fear and put their families at a great disadvantage when they unexpectedly pass away. We were in our late 20's when we had our wills made out. Also threw in a healthcare proxy and power of attorney. Our children had guardians assigned and all inheritance issues were set up. Almost 20 years later and we never had to use any of them, but also never had to worry about the "what ifs". Good luck!

In addition to getting forms on-line, I think you can get them at Staples.

Be sure to give a copy to someone you trust, like the person you plan to have take care of your kids. BTW, be sure to ASK the person you plan on having raise your kids if they WANT the responsibility. While you would consider it a privilege, they may not be prepared for the financial burden - especially if they are older.

It is not good to place the only copies of a will or insurance policies in a safe deposit box, as that is often not opened until months after you are gone.

Everybody needs a will as it is damned hard to control your wishes from the grave. I thank God every day that my daddy had a will in place when he died. I am also right happy that my sister had a copy of the old will which left her everything. The look on her face when she seen the new will leaving me everything was to die for. Ya'll should have your wills done by a lawyer and they should be updated at least once a year if needed. A will made out by a lawyer will stand on it's own merits if it is ever contested in court. Internet crap wills may not. Laws vary from state to state so if you move to another state you need to have your will reviewed by a lawyer in the new state. Try not to die ya'll.

@

Simply type one up on your computer and have it notorized.

Sorry, BTK, that approach isn't valid in New York. A notary has nothing to do with it, you need two witnesses.

A sad case I know of is a guy who had an asthma attack a few springs back and died at age 40, leaving a young daughter (who was living with her mother that the guy had never married). No will, but by law everything went to the daughter and the mother as guardian basically blew through all the money.

Had the guy made out a will, he could have made somebody else executor to protect his daughter (at least by putting the money in a trust fund or something so that his daughter would have had a decent college fund).

Guest Guest-country girl-*

One thing I would suggest is to put everything into a trust. Another suggestion would be to put your property in your kids names with you having lifetime use. Check into it and see what fits your needs the best. The lawyers office that I use is Aswad & Ingraham (722-3495), I usually use Angelina or Tom, they are great.

Archived