Opinions Wanted

dingbat

I was hoping to get some objective opinions here.

It's kind of a long story, but I'll try to keep it short.

I belong to another message board (for 5 years), we're mostly Mom's and creative people. It's a pretty tight online community.

One member that I was friendly with commissioned me to do one of my pieces for her and I did.

It turns out that she is one of the more "creative" of the bunch and had several "personalities" going on the board.

She was outed and it was really quite the scandal in our tight community. She was kicked off and shortly after I got a package in the mail with the piece I had made for her and a very dramatic letter saying how she just couldn't keep it and didn't want the bad memories :rolleyes: Also in the letter she said she did NOT want me to return her money.

I wish I kept that letter.

Now (2 years later) we have a new Moderator and she's come back.

1st she sent me a PM saying that "It occurred to me that you have never returned my money." Followed by another saying she'd rather have the piece back. That piece is long gone, I gave it to a friend.

If it matters, this is all over $40, she got the bargain of the century!

So, my question is, do I owe her anything?

technically if she told you to keep the money, you don't owe her anything. but without the letter or the piece, it may be best to send her the 40 back to avoid any further problems. I mean if she wanted the money and it wasn't hers, i would tell her to take a hike. but since she paid you and since you don't have the piece anymore nor does she, the best thing to do to avoid further problems is to give her the money back and keep the peace. again just my opinion.

Guest ronald benjamin

I belong to another message board (for 5 years), we're mostly Mom's and creative people. It's a pretty tight online community.

One member that I was friendly with commissioned me to do one of my pieces for her and I did.

It turns out that she is one of the more "creative" of the bunch and had several "personalities" going on the board.

She was outed and it was really quite the scandal in our tight community. She was kicked off and shortly after I got a package in the mail with the piece I had made for her and a very dramatic letter saying how she just couldn't keep it and didn't want the bad memories :rolleyes: Also in the letter she said she did NOT want me to return her money.

1st she sent me a PM saying that "It occurred to me that you have never returned my money." Followed by another saying she'd rather have the piece back. That piece is long gone, I gave it to a friend.

NO. EVEN THOUGH YOU TOSSED THE LETTER, THERE IS STILL NO BINDING CONTRACT FOR HER TO GET THE MONEY BACK. TELL HER YOU'LL SEE HER IN COURT AND SHE WILL NEVER BRING IT UP AGAIN.

Guest Guest

If there's no paper trail with stipulations regarding refunds, absolutely you don't owe her a dime.

No business in the US will refund your money after 2 years without explicit, details language stating so on a receipt.

technically if she told you to keep the money, you don't owe her anything. but without the letter or the piece, it may be best to send her the 40 back to avoid any further problems. I mean if she wanted the money and it wasn't hers, i would tell her to take a hike. but since she paid you and since you don't have the piece anymore nor does she, the best thing to do to avoid further problems is to give her the money back and keep the peace. again just my opinion.
Good point, just think if you do return it and it ends with that it only cost $40 to rid yourself of any problems....kind of a bargin

@

it takes 100 dollars to bring a small claims lawsuit... so even if she did sue you for it and won... she would be out an additional 60 dollars. I would tell her that you werent giving it back and if she wanted it to sue you. As we just discussed, after she finds out the cost, she would be stupid not to drop it. So I wouldnt be worried about losing the "evidence". :)

Guest Guest

You're making this up!!! I saw this on "Judge Judy" last week.

Guest country girl2

If it was me, I would mail the money back to her with a note reminding her of what she said in her note to you when she sent the item back. If the two of you are going to remain in the same board, you probably should avoid "issues" with her.

Which one of her personalities wants the piece back?

:lol: That's what my husband said!!

She doesn't have my address. Maybe I had a "6th Sense" thing happening with her but I used a business address (with permission) for my return address.

I do not technically do this as a business, it is my hobby and mostly I give my pieces as gifts. I do on occasion, like this, make pieces to order, but I never charge much.

I can't see her trying to sue me, (she lives on the West Coast) but I don't want her running her mouth about me on the other board.

Most of my friends there say I shouldn't owe her anything, but she is not their favorite person.

That's why I thought you all could be more objective about it.

I think I probably should return the money just to keep the peace.

It's not the $40, but the whole situation that irks me!

Guest MommyToOne

Although I do not believe that you owe this woman anything there is something to consider.....Obviously this community means something to you and this person has been allowed back into the community. If your relationship with her and the other Mom's and creative people you communicate with is important you must take that into consideration. If this person begins to talk "trash" about you or begins to make your experience in this community difficult it may be worth it to give her back the money - or another piece. Again, I do not think you owe this person anything - as a previous post stated - she could have contacted you earlier - however these people clearly mean something to you and I would hate to think that this person could tarnish your name or make it less enjoyable for you to participate in this forum.

Just a little food for though....either way - best of luck!

This will be short and sweet....tell her to go f-her self. serously, i am starting to think this person sounds like the kind of person that poisons her kids for the attention. A troll, loser, idiot all warped up in to one. Make sure you let the new mod know what happened if she starts harassing you.

Dingbat~ I am going the opposite way with the advice, Do not send her the money. People like this have a way of turning it around on you in the end. If you send the money, she will say it was because you were wrong and she was right, making you look the bad guy. If you do not send it, again you bad... Either way is a no win for you.

She will go back to game playing (they always do). My advice is to stand up to her from the get-go and tell her in no uncertain terms you will not be sending her a refund based on her note to you. You have been on the board long enough most of the members know the real you and will listen to you if or when you choose to explain. Don't allow her to draw you into her games.

Just my two cents and best of luck no matter what you decide.

@

DB,

I was on that site and watched the whole tragedy unfold...devastating, to say the least. To think she was so unappreciative of the custom cat slippers you made her, just totally blows my mind. I agree with the other posters, give her the 40 bucks and be done with her. If you want, you can give it to me and I'll make sure she gets it, at least that's what I would do if I were you! It is cash, isn't it?

ps: sorry about my Judge Judy comment earlier!

@

DB,

I was on that site and watched the whole tragedy unfold...devastating, to say the least. To think she was so unappreciative of the custom cat slippers you made her, just totally blows my mind. I agree with the other posters, give her the 40 bucks and be done with her. If you want, you can give it to me and I'll make sure she gets it, at least that's what I would do if I were you! It is cash, isn't it?

ps: sorry about my Judge Judy comment earlier!

@

Write her a $40 check on toilet paper :blink:

This will be short and sweet....tell her to go f-her self. serously, i am starting to think this person sounds like the kind of person that poisons her kids for the attention. A troll, loser, idiot all warped up in to one. Make sure you let the new mod know what happened if she starts harassing you.

So, how do you really feel marius? ;)

As for the money, send it back. Not worth the hassle of going round and round over $40.

TWS

@

Archived