The bears are back in Kirkwood

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

We already took down our bird feeders from the winter but still had one suet feeder hanging from a 5' pole, a strong metal pole firmly anchored in the ground. Just yesterday I was saying we'd better take down the suet too so it wouldn't attract a bear, but didn't get around to doing it. Woke up this morning to see the pole bent over at a 45 degree angle and the metal suet holder in 3 pieces on the ground a few feet away with a nearly full size suet cake completely gone. It had to have been a bear to have had the strength to bend that pole and reach that holder. Time to start taking the standard precautions if you're in area where bears have been sighted.

We already took down our bird feeders from the winter but still had one suet feeder hanging from a 5' pole, a strong metal pole firmly anchored in the ground. Just yesterday I was saying we'd better take down the suet too so it wouldn't attract a bear, but didn't get around to doing it. Woke up this morning to see the pole bent over at a 45 degree angle and the metal suet holder in 3 pieces on the ground a few feet away with a nearly full size suet cake completely gone. It had to have been a bear to have had the strength to bend that pole and reach that holder. Time to start taking the standard precautions if you're in area where bears have been sighted.

I know several people who have seen bears already this spring. My sister had one in her back yard in Kirkwood and friends in New Milford, PA. have seen several. Also the coyotes/coydogs are on the prowl again.

Guest Guest

There was one along side the highway yesterday looked like he was debating crossing 17. Strange to see him right there near where 17 splits onto 81 or you can hit Court St. (5-mile point area).

The bears aren't really bad around here...been some sightings on Nowlan Road, near where I walk one of my dogs. I haven't seen any yet, early morning or at night. Just some deer and a lot of woodchucks...not sure my old pug Mo could defend me against a bear anyway. He might be able to drown one with his nightly three minute pee...but I wouldn't bet my life on it!

@

I have had them in the yard a few times and noticed this morning that the neighbor's garbage was scattered all over their front yard and the road so I assume the bears are back around. I haven't seen any this year myself but that is always a good sign.

so another clue .. the dumpster by the barn pillaged .. not yet .. but im waiting .. unless of course sounds of rt 81 scares em off

so another clue .. the dumpster by the barn pillaged .. not yet .. but im waiting .. unless of course sounds of rt 81 scares em off

If you put food scaps in it, they will find it. They didn't seem to be bothered by one of the neighbors throwing apples at them and another peppering one with a shotgun that came up on his porch and looked in his sliding glass door last spring.

It's probably not bears...most likely pumas or circus midgets. There are a lot of pumas and midgets in the area this time of year. Use duct tape on your dumpster. The pumas can't figure it out, and the midgets can't reach it!

Guest Guest
There was one along side the highway yesterday looked like he was debating crossing 17. Strange to see him right there near where 17 splits onto 81 or you can hit Court St. (5-mile point area).

i live out in castl creek and i thnk we have had a bear lingering around the past week or two but not positive...a couple of years ago there were a bunch around...havnt had any evidence since except lately...

@

Guest guest
i live out in castl creek and i thnk we have had a bear lingering around the past week or two but not positive...a couple of years ago there were a bunch around...havnt had any evidence since except lately...

@

where in castle creek are you? i, too live in castle creek and have small pets that i allow out at 1or 2 in the morning when i arrive home from work. i would FREAK if i opened my door to see a bear out there..

My parents live in castle creek between ransom rd and west chenango rd and they have bears out there all the time, Last year was the worse though, Had alot of them last year

Guest Guest
My parents live in castle creek between ransom rd and west chenango rd and they have bears out there all the time, Last year was the worse though, Had alot of them last year

I live in Castle Creek on Perry Road. Bears for the last two years, and one is here again this year. No surprise and no big deal.

Guest Guest
I live in Castle Creek on Perry Road. Bears for the last two years, and one is here again this year. No surprise and no big deal.

i live on perry road too!!! are you serious? no big deal? i have a dog and 3 kids...do you think they are harmless and do you really think they are back this year?

Guest Guest
It's probably not bears...most likely pumas or circus midgets. There are a lot of pumas and midgets in the area this time of year. Use duct tape on your dumpster. The pumas can't figure it out, and the midgets can't reach it!

you mean like County Exec's...???

Guest Guest
The bears are very timid and won't hurt you. Go on line and read about them.

Oh I see. But they will crush in your garage door to get what is in side . . . but don't worry . . . they won't hurt you!

Archived