Seton Basketball

Guest Johnny Only

Thinking of enrolling your kids in Seton for sports? You really think at 5K per kid, that's the best reason to enroll your kids in Seton? Wow.

Education is even a bigger reason. Seton probably has the best connection to the Ivy league and based on their enrollment more Ivy league graduates than any other school. Sports I have to look at because of what is going on in Vestal with modified sports. If it happens there it will happen at all the large schools in the area. I want my kids to have every opportunity in athletics and acedemics. More conservative people live in the smaller populated areas so you won't see the sports end there so moving is another option. Vestal's plan right now is to get rid of modified right now and then go after JV the following year and believe me the other large school's boards are right with them. They believe clubs will form to take their place and then they can make money renting the school facilities to them. Cuomo's Lt. Governor just announced that no teachers should lose their jobs with his huge cuts because there is all this fat that can be cut. Sports are considered fat by Cuomo. Moral and education will go down at these schools without sports and drug use and delinquency will go up.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if Seton still has a modified program and the other schools don't...who will they play against?

They are class D. I don't picture the smaller schools doing away with their sports. Less Liberal in the smaller communities but the Governor could force it.

Guest bobby knight

Being 6'10" doesn't mean much when someone 5-6" shorter can jump as high and run circles around you.

Thats stupid I hope a 5'6" player is faster. duh.

The reason being 6'10" is a nice feature. it gives you someone who can gaurd teams that have 7 foot centers. Garbade has a nice shot, decent footwok plays good defense.and is not a risk to the team a very good student and kid. Bobby knight said it best you cant teach 6'10". They will try to get him to play more agressively. not an uncommon way for a fresh to show up to college.He is 17 for gods sake what till he really becomes a man.

The reason being 6'10" is a nice feature. it gives you someone who can gaurd teams that have 7 foot centers. Garbade has a nice shot, decent footwok plays good defense.and is not a risk to the team a very good student and kid. Bobby knight said it best you cant teach 6'10". They will try to get him to play more agressively. not an uncommon way for a fresh to show up to college.He is 17 for gods sake what till he really becomes a man.

Absolutely correct!!!

What do people expect from a 17 year old, especially one who's 6'10"? Garbade is a very good player, whether anyone knows it or not. It takes some kids a little more time to develop, especially bigger guys. Princeton is not a two bit basketball operation (remember they have historically been a nuisance for the big time programs in the NCAA tournament, and even knocked out the then defending National Champion UCLA Bruins in 1996), so if Princeton likes Garbade, they must see a lot of good in him. I agree with all the above on Garbade - good shooting touch, very good passer out of the low post, good defensder. What I believe he needs is upper body strength, which Princeton will have him work on.

Guest height challenged

People read the post again....it says a 5 to 6 inch shorter player (5-6")....not a 5'6" player. We are talking a 6'5" or 6'4" player being quicker and very competitive against a 6'10" player. Hahahaha....

People read the post again....it says a 5 to 6 inch shorter player (5-6")....not a 5'6" player. We are talking a 6'5" or 6'4" player being quicker and very competitive against a 6'10" player. Hahahaha....

Some people just can't make sense out of what they read.

It has been like 28 years since JC last won a STAC Championship. I'd like to see it.

Bobby Garbade was nominated to the McDonald's All American game, and I hate to break to you guys, they know a little bit more about basketball then you trolls. Secondly, he is going to Princeton, equally for his basketball, but more importantly for a great education. He has probably done more in his life so far, then you ever will, considering you guys spend half your day on bcvoice bashing high school kids. While you guys are on a computer all day long, Bobby and then rest of the Saints are working to become better. Your jealousy is not hidden through a computer screen. Get a life.

Absolutely, a perfect example is the Foote kid from spencer. He matured after high school and did quite well for himself in the collegiate ranks.

Guest fact checker

Absolutely, a perfect example is the Foote kid from spencer. He matured after high school and did quite well for himself in the collegiate ranks.

Agreed...but lets also remember last year the local yokel cheer leaders were touting him as a nba player....garbades best asset is he is six ten.. and can get into princeton...probably not a usual occurrance for the tigers...we as a area do not produce the exceptional basketball talent..we bally hoo about aau this aau that , but that is parental tom foolery..enjoy the games for what they are...distraction...

Agreed...but lets also remember last year the local yokel cheer leaders were touting him as a nba player....garbades best asset is he is six ten.. and can get into princeton...probably not a usual occurrance for the tigers...we as a area do not produce the exceptional basketball talent..we bally hoo about aau this aau that , but that is parental tom foolery..enjoy the games for what they are...distraction...

Not to be argumentative but Foote was 7 foot and was able to get into Cornell?? not exactly normal for spencer where they graduate what 25 boys? NBA yeah right. LOL I would however argue AAUs are not all tom foolery, some kids want to play in college and realize all along its not going to be d-1, If you love the game and thats really the only reason you should be playing anyway, should it really matter if you play d-1 or d-3 or for that matter junior college while you get your education? There seems to be a misconception that all kids that play high level youth sports have parents with dreams of d-1 scholarships, from my experience this is just not true but rather an excuse used by the other parents who just arent willing to make the committment for their kid to reach their full potential.

Bobby Garbade was nominated to the McDonald's All American game, and I hate to break to you guys, they know a little bit more about basketball then you trolls. Secondly, he is going to Princeton, equally for his basketball, but more importantly for a great education. He has probably done more in his life so far, then you ever will, considering you guys spend half your day on bcvoice bashing high school kids. While you guys are on a computer all day long, Bobby and then rest of the Saints are working to become better. Your jealousy is not hidden through a computer screen. Get a life.

The McDonald's All American people are not the ones that nominate players, the coaches ie Sininiki/AAU coach are...other than that I agree with your post but that first point is incorrect.

The McDonald's All American people are not the ones that nominate players, the coaches ie Sininiki/AAU coach are...other than that I agree with your post but that first point is incorrect.

My mistake, I did not realize that. Nonetheless in that case any one can be nominated, but to be actually recognized as one of the potential 2000 or so that do get nominated is a special feat in of itself.

My mistake, I did not realize that. Nonetheless in that case any one can be nominated, but to be actually recognized as one of the potential 2000 or so that do get nominated is a special feat in of itself.

Guest fact checker

Not to be argumentative but Foote was 7 foot and was able to get into Cornell?? not exactly normal for spencer where they graduate what 25 boys? NBA yeah right. LOL I would however argue AAUs are not all tom foolery, some kids want to play in college and realize all along its not going to be d-1, If you love the game and thats really the only reason you should be playing anyway, should it really matter if you play d-1 or d-3 or for that matter junior college while you get your education? There seems to be a misconception that all kids that play high level youth sports have parents with dreams of d-1 scholarships, from my experience this is just not true but rather an excuse used by the other parents who just arent willing to make the committment for their kid to reach their full potential.

without being too personal, can you reveal where you hang out and chill with the parents you mentioned...the parents i meet all think their kids are a good coach away from going di..it is the coaches fault if he does not...i have watched parents pour money into aau programs, camps..etc etc in all sports and where are our superstars today??..the athletes from this area, im talking baseball, basketball and football DO NOT make a noticeable impact at the d1 level..of course there are exceptions...but small in comparason to the parents expectations.. i can name rage all stars.. who cant make sixty five per cent of their free throws at the high school level...but they played the allmighty aau..

I disagree...I think Seton is at a disadvantage, they only have 300-400 kids total at the school, of only maybe 20 try out for bball. Most other schools have 2,3,4 times that....they have so many more options, you would think they would dominate a team like scc. Playing against larger schools all year and being 15-1 or whatever they are certainly warrants a high state ranking.

I think it comes down to a solid group of kids moving through the last 8-10 yrs, many of whom are probably siblings or related. And good coaching

seton did not play, windsor, forks or cv tonite..not surprising to some of us they lost..not enough good coaching, not enough six foot ten players, not enough referee favorite pointguards and most importantly not enough points against a jc team playing without its starting center..but saints do not despair whitney point and trumansburg await you in sectionals...best stay in your vestibule..

Hasn't SCC had the same JV coach for the past 8 years or so? That would seem to invalidate your post, especially since the SCC varsity has been (arguably) the best program in the area in that time. Won 3 STAC's, even more Sectionals & Regionals, and two trips (three?) to Glens Falls.

for the saints the road to glens falls is heavenly...thru chenango valley, whitney point and the trumansburgs..for the spartans and other a classes the road is more difficult..maine endwell, johnson city, norwich, elmira...seton does well but is greatly aided by inferior competition..

for the saints the road to glens falls is heavenly...thru chenango valley, whitney point and the trumansburgs..for the spartans and other a classes the road is more difficult..maine endwell, johnson city, norwich, elmira...seton does well but is greatly aided by inferior competition..

Didn't seton beat all those teams already this year?

It was fun to watch the punks from SCC go down tonight. True to their no class form, they started the night by running through JC's warm-ups. Tommy Tourette Torto was especially bad after he got pushed around a little bit. Well worth the $6 admission.

Tommy Tourette Torto was especially bad after he got pushed around a little bit. Well worth the $6 admission.

He's a good player but most of his points come from basket hanging.

He's a good player but most of his points come from basket hanging.

torto is a good guard, in this area..he lacks the skills to be a good player elsewhere..the kid from arizona is a good player..

Archived